Basketball Tailgates | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Basketball Tailgates

Reaction Score
I don't think they're typically allowed to because of liability reasons. It's usually against the rules from some people I talked to

Doesn't mean you can't change the rules though
I bring it up because a little birdie told me that UConn has been considering the idea, and it was brought up alongside making tickets for all sports events free last year.

Reaction Score
Well it doesn’t even have to be an “official” event, then. I’m sure there are other guys in his frat who enjoy basketball and/or drinking. Throw something together, start the tradition!
You cant just set up a tailgate in the middle of a campus parking lot and start drinking with all your brothers, that fraternity would no doubt be .

Reaction Score
Ted's is the UConn pre-game for Gampel, plus the kids who camp out to get front row seats. XL again the bars are packed. Tailgating is a football thing, it's not really done for basketball. It has nothing to do with "culture", we've been to 5 Final Fours and won 4 champs in the last 20 years. No other school has our winning culture.
Ted's is the size of 3 dorm rooms and is a strict bar, thats not a tailgate. Ive been to the bars near The Garden hosting UConn watch parties its sick dont get me wrong. But im not looking for that kind of scene, watching a game at a bar and tailgating for a game are two completely different experiences.

And to those complaining about the weather, once again complain to any Bills, Vikings, Packers, etc fan and give them a good laugh. You dont go to UConn for warm weather.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
That may have been phrased in the wrong sense. Seems like the students are much less invested in the program than before, which isn't unreasonable with winning comes more devotion and attention to the sport.
I was a freshman in 1984, which means I joined a losing culture of a program.

Winning changes everything.

Reaction Score
I was a freshman in 1984, which means I joined a losing culture of a program.

Winning changes everything.
Thats a fact.
My point is, not trying to count my chickens, but winning looks like its coming sooner than later. Might as well build of that with something like tailgates so kids already feel invested going into winning, the bigger the culture the better the brand typically.
Also the most involved alumni tend to be the ones who had the best times (f%^king obviously), and those who graduate remembering basketball as their favorite time will be more likely to invest into the program (whether it be time or money) down the line.

Reaction Score
That may have been phrased in the wrong sense. Seems like the students are much less invested in the program than before, which isn't unreasonable with winning comes more devotion and attention to the sport.
I think that’s definitely true. My freshman year (13-14) was great in terms of atmosphere. After that, it slowly went down hill. In 14-15, over 50 people camped out before the Texas game. In 15-16, only about 15 of us did before Ohio State. Then came 16-17, pure apathy. Haven’t seen any sort of improvement in my post-grad years, either. Before the Villanova game in Jan. 2018, my crew and I got there around 7:30 for a noon game with no one in sight. Nova was ranked number one then, too. First students finally showed around 9:30; doors opened at XL at 11. Hopefully with Hurley and the Big East the fire will return.

Reaction Score
I think that’s definitely true. My freshman year (13-14) was great in terms of atmosphere. After that, it slowly went down hill. In 14-15, over 50 people camped out before the Texas game. In 15-16, only about 15 of us did before Ohio State. Then came 16-17, pure apathy. Haven’t seen any sort of improvement in my post-grad years, either. Before the Villanova game in Jan. 2018, my crew and I got there around 7:30 for a noon game with no one in sight. Nova was ranked number one then, too. First students finally showed around 9:30; doors opened at XL at 11. Hopefully with Hurley and the Big East the fire will return.
My freshman year the soccer team had a tailgate. I thought it was a joke at first, the only one of its kind a good amount of people showed up, including Jalen Adams and his friends who played pong with us.
Point being kids will go to a tailgate as long as its mandated by the school(like the soccer tailgate) they just need to be told theres a place to drink without getting in trouble and theyll go.

Reaction Score
Tailgating is a culture in and of itself, separate from a winning basketball culture. The point is to create a more fun environment, make it a community event etc.

I think it’s a good idea.
I'm not against it. I have friends who go to football games just for the tailgate. I'm was just saying it's not a UConn thing that we don't tailgate, it's basketball in general. That said, I'd love more pageantry and some outside fun before bball. Make it happen!

Reaction Score
When I was in school ('10-'14), we used to set up a little tailgate in the back corner of the lot behind McMahon and rotate out one person standing in line to get the front row. No one bothered us.

When we were seniors, we setup a grill in the grassy area behind hilltop apartments and tailgated back there. It was only a handful of us, but we did it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
When I was in school, we used to set up a little tailgate in the back corner of the lot behind McMahon and rotate out one person standing in line to get the front row. No one bothered us.

When we were seniors, we setup a grill in the grassy area behind hilltop apartments and tailgated back there. It was only a handful of us, but we did it.

Yes, this is the type of stuff I remember

Reaction Score
I'm not against it. I have friends who go to football games just for the tailgate. I'm was just saying it's not a UConn thing that we don't tailgate, it's basketball in general. That said, I'd love more pageantry and some outside fun before bball. Make it happen!

If NC State can tailgate basketball games; so can we!

Reaction Score
l would love the idea of tailgating. If anyone knows Hurley's address in Glastonbury that would be the place to go. Hurley might like it.

Reaction Score
Football has the space. I’m not sure how you can set up a tent and folding tables in the concrete lots that are shared with on campus students and commuters. Many basketball games on weekdays too.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
They literally had thousands in the streets of Toronto for the Raptors playoff games. And that is in Canada!!

Those don't happen until Spring. And Toronto isn't Edmonton, climate-wise.

Reaction Score
I think it would have to be weekend games, and the lot next to the soccer field and softball field would probably be where you'd have to have them. Those lots typically stay empty during the weekends.

Reaction Score
This may be irrelevant and or stupid.
But personally there's nothing like school spirit to be the extra edge in the recruiting process, athletes like to go to places where their sport is appreciated and or worshiped.
There doesn't seem like a lot of truly dedicated fans to the basketball team as they've all joined a losing culture of a program.
However this culture is seeming to make the turn towards winning with Hurley and with that I think they should add tailgates at the soccer lot with possibly a way of watching the basketball home and away games outside. Fingers crossed Gampel fills up for the games and it would make sense to have a means of having fans watch the games together on campus in another way.
TLDR: Basketball tailgates would attract the average college kid who wants a place to drink, and with going they'd find a way to transition into becoming a more avid fan.

At Nova we generally play the weeknight games on campus and the weekend games at Wells Fargo Center, home of the Sixers.

The WFC games are tailgate games. Even when there were weekend games on campus tailgating wasn’t allowed by school enforcement. The atmosphere is much more relaxed in the South Philly sports complex where the pro teams play.

If we have an early game at WFC, it’s breakfast tailgates. Coffee, hot Chocolate, flavored rum, whiskies, etc. bloody Mary’s and mimosas. Egg casseroles, bagels, lox, etc.

Later games have more standard fare.

Students come to the tailgates in buses. These may be unofficial, run by frats and student organizations. Alumni tailgates are also well attended.

There is a huge bar complex in the parking lot, situated between the three sports venues (Phillies, Eagles, Flyers/Sixers) with a Central TV wall that is like a 60 foot TV, and multiple beer halls off of the central hall. If the temps are forecasted much below freezing the crowds opt for the beer hall instead of tailgating.

Even though we have a winter season, we generally end up with a handful of great weather (45 and sunny) weekend tailgates.

We host UConn this year at WFC. Come on down and tailgate. We’ll show you how it’s done. Spend the night in Philly, it’s a great city.

Reaction Score
At Nova we generally play the weeknight games on campus and the weekend games at Wells Fargo Center, home of the Sixers.

The WFC games are tailgate games. Even when there were weekend games on campus tailgating wasn’t allowed by school enforcement. The atmosphere is much more relaxed in the South Philly sports complex where the pro teams play.

If we have an early game at WFC, it’s breakfast tailgates. Coffee, hot Chocolate, flavored rum, whiskies, etc. bloody Mary’s and mimosas. Egg casseroles, bagels, lox, etc.

Later games have more standard fare.

Students come to the tailgates in buses. These may be unofficial, run by frats and student organizations. Alumni tailgates are also well attended.

There is a huge bar complex in the parking lot, situated between the three sports venues (Phillies, Eagles, Flyers/Sixers) with a Central TV wall that is like a 60 foot TV, and multiple beer halls off of the central hall. If the temps are forecasted much below freezing the crowds opt for the beer hall instead of tailgating.

Even though we have a winter season, we generally end up with a handful of great weather (45 and sunny) weekend tailgates.

We host UConn this year at WFC. Come on down and tailgate. We’ll show you how it’s done. Spend the night in Philly, it’s a great city.
Ya thats practically our football tailgates at Rentschler, except ours are probably better :)

Reaction Score
One of the benefits to this basketball-first conference is a renewed culture of basketball fans.

The Georgetown culture is damaged by poor seasons and coaching fatigue, but Patrick seems to have them back on track.

DePaul is still a weakling. They do have a new arena though, and young talent. They are the best worst conference team in the power conferences.

Most other programs have a very good culture. The 3 newbies each have a rabid following. Marquette is solid and they fill an NBA arena walking distance from campus. Johnnies are looking to play their conference games at MSG.

I plan on getting to all of the road venues over the next few years.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
They literally had thousands in the streets of Toronto for the Raptors playoff games. And that is in Canada!!

It's a great idea to have a Storrs Central party area for the students to pregame before basketball games.

NBA playoffs are late April - June...

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
I don't disagree with the idea, BUT I think recruits care more about playing in front a a full stadium / crowd rather than what the fans are doing pregame... Let's focus on getting people into the stadiums first before we worry about pregame activities

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom