Basketball Tailgates | The Boneyard

Basketball Tailgates

Reaction Score
This may be irrelevant and or stupid.
But personally there's nothing like school spirit to be the extra edge in the recruiting process, athletes like to go to places where their sport is appreciated and or worshiped.
There doesn't seem like a lot of truly dedicated fans to the basketball team as they've all joined a losing culture of a program.
However this culture is seeming to make the turn towards winning with Hurley and with that I think they should add tailgates at the soccer lot with possibly a way of watching the basketball home and away games outside. Fingers crossed Gampel fills up for the games and it would make sense to have a means of having fans watch the games together on campus in another way.
TLDR: Basketball tailgates would attract the average college kid who wants a place to drink, and with going they'd find a way to transition into becoming a more avid fan.

Reaction Score
U'l freeze ur kanootskies off.

But perhaps with an appropiate antifreeze,...

Reaction Score
This may be irrelevant and or stupid.
But personally there's nothing like school spirit to be the extra edge in the recruiting process, athletes like to go to places where their sport is appreciated and or worshiped.
There doesn't seem like a lot of truly dedicated fans to the basketball team as they've all joined a losing culture of a program.
However this culture is seeming to make the turn towards winning with Hurley and with that I think they should add tailgates at the soccer lot with possibly a way of watching the basketball home and away games outside. Fingers crossed Gampel fills up for the games and it would make sense to have a means of having fans watch the games together on campus in another way.
TLDR: Basketball tailgates would attract the average college kid who wants a place to drink, and with going they'd find a way to transition into becoming a more avid fan.

While I agree with many posters on here that the tailgates take place in bars (for obvious temperature reasons), I'll gladly tailgate if someone is providing some good eats and beer (tree house, etc.). Otherwise I think the bar is the play. Obviously Hartford vs. Storrs plays a factor as well.

Reaction Score
It might sound ridiculous at first but there are plenty of situations that would sound terrible to tailgate football games with, we suck and people still dont hesitate to go.

#hottake college students enjoy drinking and having a good time

Reaction Score
I actually have some recollection of people doing this for games at Gampel in one of the parking lots that no longer exist.

Not like big organized things, but people (literally) tailgating with small grills etc behind their cars.

Reaction Score
Ah yes, watching UConn play Tulsa on a TV outside in 15° temps in January sounds like a good way to get recruits to want to come here!
I understand your sarcasm however if it were to happen I think youd be mistaken to think that wouldnt make a recruit thing UCONN is above and beyond the real deal and that the fans are all for the team.

Reaction Score
I understand your sarcasm however if it were to happen I think youd be mistaken to think that wouldnt make a recruit thing UCONN is above and beyond the real deal and that the fans are all for the team.

In before someone jumps on you about this...

It’s UConn*

Reaction Score
While I agree with many posters on here that the tailgates take place in bars (for obvious temperature reasons), I'll gladly tailgate if someone is providing some good eats and beer (tree house, etc.). Otherwise I think the bar is the play. Obviously Hartford vs. Storrs plays a factor as well.
If it were run as if the football tailgates, you could certainly count all the fraternities to run the tailgates in a similar way(bringing beer and food). It seems absurd only because we are talking about basketball, im from Buffalo and I go to bills games and they dont complain for , much like other cold NFL fan bases.

Reaction Score
My friends and I at least, for the last couple years, have been out in front of Gampel and XL for games as early as 6 hours before tip with mimosas, beer, and vodka and get trashed. Granted it’s not usually more than 6 of us and we’re all alumni, but I love those hours of just hanging out before a game, provided we’re dressed correctly for the cold. Definitely enjoyable and something I’ll continue to do.

Reaction Score
My friends and I at least, for the last couple years, have been out in front of Gampel and XL for games as early as 6 hours before tip with mimosas, beer, and vodka and get trashed. Granted it’s not usually more than 6 of us and we’re all alumni, but I love those hours of just hanging out before a game, provided we’re dressed correctly for the cold. Definitely enjoyable and something I’ll continue to do.
Thats awesome, I could see how tailgating would pertain to a lot of alumni. Theres no reason it cant be an experience for both alumni and students, much like homecoming is for football.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
You ever been outside in Storrs during basketball season??

They literally had thousands in the streets of Toronto for the Raptors playoff games. And that is in Canada!!

It's a great idea to have a Storrs Central party area for the students to pregame before basketball games.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

Reaction Score
Thats awesome, I could see how tailgating would pertain to a lot of alumni. Theres no reason it cant be an experience for both alumni and students, much like homecoming is for football.

You’re in a frat, right? Why don’t y’all start hosting basketball tailgates?

Reaction Score
You’re in a frat, right? Why don’t y’all start hosting basketball tailgates?
A frat hosting a tailgate would be somewhat counter intuitive. The purpose of my idea is to spread a communal spirit for our school, having different frats host their own tailgates at their houses would mean dividing the student body. People not in greek life, especially guys, would have trouble getting into something, therefore almost disliking tailgates or pregames to basketball.
Thats why I think UConn football tailgates are great for school spirit because its not as much of a competition between frats, they are all posted up at the same party. IDK if that makes sense but it just does in my mind, maybe im crazy.

Reaction Score
Ted's is the UConn pre-game for Gampel, plus the kids who camp out to get front row seats. XL again the bars are packed. Tailgating is a football thing, it's not really done for basketball. It has nothing to do with "culture", we've been to 5 Final Fours and won 4 champs in the last 20 years. No other school has our winning culture.

Reaction Score
A frat hosting a tailgate would be somewhat counter intuitive. The purpose of my idea is to spread a communal spirit for our school, having different frats host their own tailgates at their houses would mean dividing the student body. People not in greek life, especially guys, would have trouble getting into something, therefore almost disliking tailgates or pregames to basketball.
Thats why I think UConn football tailgates are great for school spirit because its not as much of a competition between frats, they are all posted up at the same party. IDK if that makes sense but it just does in my mind, maybe im crazy.

Lol not going to go too far down the rabbit hole of workings of Greek Life culture, but there’s no real reason you guys can’t set up a tailgate some where and let anyone who wants to tailgate in

Reaction Score
Lol not going to go too far down the rabbit hole of workings of Greek Life culture, but there’s no real reason you guys can’t set up a tailgate some where and let anyone who wants to tailgate in
I don't think they're typically allowed to because of liability reasons. It's usually against the rules from some people I talked to

Doesn't mean you can't change the rules though

Reaction Score
Ted's is the UConn pre-game for Gampel, plus the kids who camp out to get front row seats. XL again the bars are packed. Tailgating is a football thing, it's not really done for basketball. It has nothing to do with "culture", we've been to 5 Final Fours and won 4 champs in the last 20 years. No other school has our winning culture.

Tailgating is a culture in and of itself, separate from a winning basketball culture. The point is to create a more fun environment, make it a community event etc.

I think it’s a good idea.

Reaction Score
I don't think they're typically allowed to because of liability reasons. It's usually against the rules from some people I talked to

Doesn't mean you can't change the rules though

Well it doesn’t even have to be an “official” event, then. I’m sure there are other guys in his frat who enjoy basketball and/or drinking. Throw something together, start the tradition!

Reaction Score
They literally had thousands in the streets of Toronto for the Raptors playoff games. And that is in Canada!!

It's a great idea to have a Storrs Central party area for the students to pregame before basketball games.

College basketball regular season ends about 2 months before the NBA playoffs start...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom