Basketball Tailgates | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Basketball Tailgates

Reaction Score
One of the benefits to this basketball-first conference is a renewed culture of basketball fans.

The Georgetown culture is damaged by poor seasons and coaching fatigue, but Patrick seems to have them back on track.

DePaul is still a weakling. They do have a new arena though, and young talent. They are the best worst conference team in the power conferences.

Most other programs have a very good culture. The 3 newbies each have a rabid following. Marquette is solid and they fill an NBA arena walking distance from campus. Johnnies are looking to play their conference games at MSG.

I plan on getting to all of the road venues over the next few years.

If St Johns actually wanted to play near it’s fanbase, they’d play at Nassau Coliseum rather than MSG

Reaction Score
If St Johns actually wanted to play near it’s fanbase, they’d play at Nassau Coliseum rather than MSG

NC is no MSG. Playing at The Mecca is the right move. There are plenty of Johnnies in Manhattan.

If your are going to claim NYC, play at MSG.

Reaction Score
NC is no MSG. Playing at The Mecca is the right move. There are plenty of Johnnies in Manhattan.

If your are going to claim NYC, play at MSG.

I know.

This was a joke aimed at St John’s.

They’re not as much “NYC’s Team” as they are “Western Long Island’s team”

Reaction Score
I know.

This was a joke aimed at St John’s.

They’re not as much “NYC’s Team” as they are “Western Long Island’s team”

oops. I hate missing sarcasm.

Side note. There is much more comradery in this era of the conference than in previous times, and not the level of hate we embraced in the past. Maybe teams like Cuse and Pitt (and Ville and WVU) are just natural villains, but we don't really have that currently. It's strange to support the conference brothers. Maybe it is the survival mentality of CR and it's "us against them", but there is a brewing Big East culture that is very positive.

Maybe some of the Boneyard Boneheads will bring back some conference animosity, but it will also take some in-your-face winning to create some burn in the rivalries.

Reaction Score
oops. I hate missing sarcasm.

Side note. There is much more comradery in this era of the conference than in previous times, and not the level of hate we embraced in the past. Maybe teams like Cuse and Pitt (and Ville and WVU) are just natural villains, but we don't really have that currently. It's strange to support the conference brothers. Maybe it is the survival mentality of CR and it's "us against them", but there is a brewing Big East culture that is very positive.

Maybe some of the Boneyard Boneheads will bring back some conference animosity, but it will also take some in-your-face winning to create some burn in the rivalries.

Nova and Georgetown were always (relatively) good natured rivalries.

Marquette fans seem to be nice Midwesterners for the most part and the Xavier fans are a huge step up from Cincy fans (on social media anyways).

Providence and St Johns were not rivals, but those fans still hate us.

Like the annoying little brothers they’ve always been and always will be. They don’t wear their jealousy well.

Reaction Score
I don't disagree with the idea, BUT I think recruits care more about playing in front a a full stadium / crowd rather than what the fans are doing pregame... Let's focus on getting people into the stadiums first before we worry about pregame activities

These can be interrelated though. For example, here in Milwaukee, the Brewers are a historically mediocre MLB team, yet they regularly draw among the biggest average attendance in the league. Besides Milwaukee being a great sports town, the tailgating culture has a huge impact on attendance.

If you can get people to come out for one reason and it ends up filling seats because of it, I think it goes hand-in-hand with your goal of filling the stadium/arena/whatever. Get them there for the tailgate and you'll have an opportunity to get them to return because of the game experience.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom