Basketball not to be this year? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Basketball not to be this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Ok, let's say colleges don't open but have online classes for the first semester. Do we have basketball? I say no. If they open up the dorms and the classrooms for the first semester and kids get sick the legal liability would be tremendous. So I think they won't open. So no basketball. What about the 2nd semester. It depends on how we are doing with the virus. This will possibly screw up recruiting since I think if they don't have a season players would be granted additional eligibility. What do you all think?

Tried to imagine what would happen if the season- and the college year- were cancelled. Can't imagine how it pans out. Doubling up freshman classes? WCBB playing more games with bigger rosters? Play two seasons in one year with a freshman team composed of kids who missed out on their regular season?

Reaction Score
The California State University system has just announced that courses this fall will be held online:

"The chancellor of California State University, the nation’s largest four-year public university system, said Tuesday that classes at its 23 campuses would be canceled for the fall semester, with instruction taking place almost exclusively online."

If the largest public university system in the state that has the lowest level of infections of any major state is canceling classes, what is the chance that the University of Connecticut in the state with the third highest rate of death from the disease will be open for classes? And basketball?

It's not looking good....
Everyone needs to understand that they are talking the fall semester not the winter, it has already been said that the winter semester (basketball) would not be decided before September 1st.

Reaction Score
Everyone needs to understand that they are talking the fall semester not the winter, it has already been said that the winter semester (basketball) would not be decided before September 1st.
Basketball starts in October and games begin first week of November. If your campus isn't open for the fall semester, how are you going to participate?

Reaction Score
Basketball starts in October and games begin first week of November. If your campus isn't open for the fall semester, how are you going to participate?
I'm just telling you what was put out there that I read

Reaction Score
The article I am talking about was put out a few days ago by the commissioner of the Big East who stated no decision on winter sports would be made until September 1st

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score

Cancel your early season out of conference games and play your conference games?

Reaction Score

The semester ends in early December. With campuses empty it wouldn't be too difficult to allow athletes on campus in a controlled environment in early October or November. I've read that a lot of scholarship athletes live pretty much apart from the general school population already.
But it's way too early to predict. Some expect the virus threat to decline in the coming months but there are those who believe it will return in the autumn and winter and be possibly more severe.

It's a tough place for the politicians who will make the decisions. Do you risk killing people in order to save the economy? In an election year?

Reaction Score
Cancel your early season out of conference games and play your conference games?
If need be something like this might work. Most schools consider their conference schedule the main event, and the out of conference is usually a much easier warmup to the conference schedule. Of course for Uconn it is just the opposite. If our out of conference games were cancelled the closest thing we might have to a signature win would be on the road against DePaul, and we might not play a ranked school at all.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Starting up colleges in the fall is problematic at best. Starting up college sports presents a whole different level of complexity. If one player on a team tests positive, the entire team should be quarantined for 14 days per CDC guidelines. If you think that is a bit much, keep in mind that the NBA season was shut down after a couple players tested positive.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
If need be something like this might work. Most schools consider their conference schedule the main event, and the out of conference is usually a much easier warmup to the conference schedule. Of course for Uconn it is just the opposite. If our out of conference games were cancelled the closest thing we might have to a signature win would be on the road against DePaul, and we might not play a ranked school at all.

I had the same idea that I proposed in an earlier post: "If not a full 30 game season, perhaps a shortened “condensed“ season that begins after the Christmas break, and runs for 3 months. Play all conference post season tournaments beginning Tuesday March 30 through Saturday April 3. Have selection Monday April 5, and begin tournament play that Friday April 9. Final four weekend would be April 24-26."

Reaction Score
A new forecast of more than 140,000 deaths by early August just came out today. Will college presidents decide to go ahead with students on campus with so many dead?
I think so. If things are still bad towards the end of the summer, they can always reverse course and just say stay home and continue with the status quo which is distance learning. What you can't do is wait until August and then decide to open.

Reaction Score
I think so. If things are still bad towards the end of the summer, they can always reverse course and just say stay home and continue with the status quo which is distance learning. What you can't do is wait until August and then decide to open.

I don't think it's as simple as that. A college campus is a small city with all the expenses, police, fire, healthcare etc. Do you staff your "small city" and then at the last moment lay them all off? Do you plan on having residence halls' staff and food services contracted and then just cancelled?
It's relatively easy for students to just stay home and learn on-line but far more difficult for the rest of the campus support population.

Reaction Score
You guys know this does not include, UCLA, Cal, UC Davis, all part of the UC system. Nor. USC(private) or Stanford(private)

The 23 Cal State schools can be seen on the linked map, scroll over the red dots.

www2.calstate.edu/attend/campuses

the mayor of Los Angeles has recently made it very clear that LA will be in lock down mode until there is an actual cure..............since most believe a vaccine won't be available on a mass basis until at least January I find it hard to believe that UCLA and likely USC will be open for students before then......

Reaction Score

I don't think that college administrations can wait that long to make a decision................at least most colleges in the NY/NJ area will be letting students know by the end of June at the latest.......

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
If there are no games until 2021, assuming no one decommits, UConn would not be hurt as much as some teams because they have no seniors.

Reaction Score
I think more college football fans will worry about this issue since football season starts in September ....:)

Reaction Score
[Q
I think more college football fans will worry about this issue since football season starts in September ....:)
if schools are closed to students in August/September, I assume they will be closed in October/November...........when does the WBB season start?

Reaction Score
I wish there were some degree of continuity in what is going on. I prefer to know as much as possible even if down the line it is bad because at least we can plan to some degree. Unfortunately the enemy we are fighting does not appear to have a timeline and is getting in the first punch before we can counter. As much as I'd love to see our ladies running up and down the court and flattening their opponents I'd rather see them stay safe to fight another day.
I think it's more like the virus is hitting layups and we're throwing up off-balance 3 point attempts. You know, basketball site.

Reaction Score
All things aside, even if we play a reduced number of games, say after December, when will they practice? How can a team 'gel' if they can't practice with each other? :confused:

Reaction Score
NCAA providing zero leadership, as usual...

That is an incredibly cheap shot. The NCAA has no role whatsoever in determining whether playing sports on a campus is safe. That decision rightly rests with the college Presidents.

Reaction Score
The Arizona schools will reverse their positions. It is the responsible thing to do.
On Friday night presidents Michael Crowe and Rita Cheng of ASU and NAU respectively will appear on the local PBS channel for a one-hour Town Hall. I submitted questions for both of them regarding the fallback or plan b to their decision to have students on campus this fall in the case of a spike in the virus.

Today on the Will Cain show there was a discussion about fall college athletics. Specifically regarding football the analysis was if the season is to begin as scheduled athletes need to appear on a campus in mid-july which would require planning to begin in mid-june. The discussion by Cane and his guests concluded that for colleges to proceed with football as scheduled would require decisions over that first week of June.

Continuing uncertainty would certainly postponed the college football season.

I think we all need to prepare ourselves to see live college athletics again in 2021 and not before.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
On Friday night presidents Michael Crowe and Rita Cheng of ASU and NAU respectively will appear on the local PBS channel for a one-hour Town Hall. I submitted questions for both of them regarding the fallback or plan b to their decision to have students on campus this fall in the case of a spike in the virus.

Today on the Will Cain show there was a discussion about fall college athletics. Specifically regarding football the analysis was if the season is to begin as scheduled athletes need to appear on a campus in mid-july which would require planning to begin in mid-june. The discussion by Cane and his guests concluded that for colleges to proceed with football as scheduled would require decisions over that first week of June.

Continuing uncertainty would certainly postponed the college football season.

I think we all need to prepare ourselves to see live college athletics again in 2021 and not before.

Unfortunately, I agree. Our effective incoming 2021 class would be 9 (with Azzi).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom