Basketball Lawyers: Didn't The Rules Re No-Charging Arc Change This Year? | The Boneyard

Basketball Lawyers: Didn't The Rules Re No-Charging Arc Change This Year?

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I attended the exhibition game this afternoon (11/4), and I noticed that the "arc" under the basket where (generally) no charging foul can be called is still there as a marking on the court, and also that the hash marks denoting the "lower defensive box" are still there.

I thought that the arc had been made much smaller for this season, and that the lower-defensive-box rule had been repealed entirely. Is that the case? If so, why are the markings on the court unchanged? Or do these rule changes only go into effect next year?

Reaction Score
I attended the exhibition game this afternoon (11/4), and I noticed that the "arc" under the basket where (generally) no charging foul can be called is still there as a marking on the court, and also that the hash marks denoting the "lower defensive box" are still there.

I thought that the arc had been made much smaller for this season, and that the lower-defensive-box rule had been repealed entirely. Is that the case? If so, why are the markings on the court unchanged? Or do these rule changes only go into effect next year?

The arc has been eliminated this year in the women’s game. However, it is still used in the men’s game, which is why you will see it on most basketball courts. The use of the lower defensive box has been eliminated as well, so I’m not sure why those lines would still be there.

Reaction Score
IMO, they need to have the same rules for both men and women's games. It's basketball! A game where both play on the same court, so markings should also be the same! It's also time to have an actual 'jump ball' for the womens game, instead of the 'your turn - my turn' to take it out of bounds!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
IMO, they need to have the same rules for both men and women's games. It's basketball! A game where both play on the same court, so markings should also be the same! It's also time to have an actual 'jump ball' for the womens game, instead of the 'your turn - my turn' to take it out of bounds!
College men inbounds the ball on the alternating possession, too. I think it’s only the NBA that has the jump ball

Reaction Score
College men inbounds the ball on the alternating possession, too. I think it’s only the NBA that has the jump ball

Yes, of all leagues in the world, all levels of basketball anywhere, it is only the NBA that has jump balls on every tie-up. Most of the world, including me, thinks the NBA rule needs to be changed. There is a very good reason why everyone else changed the rule decades ago.

That is particularly true because it has been demonstrated that most refs do a poor job of throwing the ball up on jump balls and often give a huge advantage to one team or the other. Refs' incompetence in this area has decided a number of NBA games. Maybe they will change the rule when a bad toss determines who wins Game 7 of the Championship Series.

JoePgh

Reaction Score
Yes, of all leagues in the world, all levels of basketball anywhere, it is only the NBA that has jump balls on every tie-up. Most of the world, including me, thinks the NBA rule needs to be changed. There is a very good reason why everyone else changed the rule decades ago.

That is particularly true because it has been demonstrated that most refs do a poor job of throwing the ball up on jump balls and often give a huge advantage to one team or the other. Refs' incompetence in this area has decided a number of NBA games. Maybe they will change the rule when a bad toss determines who wins Game 7 of the Championship Series.
However, the alternating-possessions rule has an impact on strategy. If there were a true jump ball, then a guard would never tie up a big player, because he or she would be almost guaranteed to lose the jump. But with the alternating possession rule, it's always a good play for a defender to tie up an opponent anytime (s)he can. Either your team will get possession immediately, or you lose nothing but do hasten the time when your team will get possession on a future tie-up. So the rule makes it easier for a smaller defender to play effective defense against a taller ball handler.

Reaction Score
Thanks. Do you know why college didn't adopt the same rules?

JoePgh

Reaction Score
I should have noted that the WNBA also uses an actual jump after tie-ups, like its "brother" league. And, needless to say, you don't typically see defenders trying to harrass the Brittney Griners of the league by tying them up.

Reaction Score

Coaches would have to buy in for this to happen. Not sure if you'll ever see the mens side change if you ask me.

Look at how they play games in halves instead of quarters. It's the only league that I'm aware of where this format is still used. If they're not willing to change that, what's the likelihood they'll agree to change anything else?

Reaction Score
Because the NCAA couldn't find referees that could toss the ball up straight. ;)
So then why start games with jump balls? Why not start with a coin toss?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom