Basketball is a team sport not an individual sport | The Boneyard

Basketball is a team sport not an individual sport

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
What we know and what we dont know. First of all we cant control what other teams do or who they have. We dont know how Caroline and Azzi will play early on and our schedule is very tuff. With that said they will need to be brought along slowly to keep them healthy. We are not deep at the guard position which means Nika must stay on the floor and not get in foul trouble. This imo is key as Azzi and Caroline will not be able to go long minutes in every game. Our bigs are talented and will be key especially early on. They will need to score and rebound. Lou will be interesting to watch. Against top teams we will need her to score. Because of her reputation she will be a threat and she will have to prove she can score at the UConn level. If she does then we have Azzi Caroline and Lou from the outside. Nika has to be a threat and this is very important. Nika is going to be a big key this season. She needs to be a threat from the outside and she needs to be able to dribble drive. She heeds to be on the floor which means she must stay out of foul trouble. We cant afford to have her on the bench. I would like to see Azzi take games over. We have seen Caroline do it. This will be necessary to gain the respect we have had in the past. Basketball is a team game and we proved last season without many key players we still found a way to win. When Paige went down we did not adjust well which is understandable. As the season progressed we did. We have had time to prepare this season for another Paigeless team. We have the weapons. Im not real concerned about everybodys opinion. Alot of those opinions are coming imo from wish lists and hoping UConn finally falls from the top. They wont unless a major disaster happens to the team like more key injuries.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I just noticed that my origional post would not let me edit it as I took to long. My apologies for posting this finished post. I dont know how to delete this first post. Any help would be appreciated.

What we know and what we dont know. Let me start by saying there are people who dont know that they dont know. We have so many people on this board the do know alot of whats going on but not behind the scenes.

First of all we cant control what other teams do or who they get or who they have. We dont know how Caroline and Azzi will play early on and our schedule is very tuff. With that said they will need to be brought along slowly to keep them healthy. We are not deep at the guard position which means Nika must stay on the floor and not get in foul trouble. This imo is key as Azzi and Caroline will not be able to go long minutes in every game. Our bigs are talented and will be key especially early on. Geno may lean on them a little more then we saw in the past. For that reason this team will be operating differently then in the past. The bigs will need to score and rebound.

Lou will be interesting to watch. Against top teams we will need her to score. Because of her reputation she will be a threat and she will have to prove she can score at the UConn level. If she does then we have Azzi Caroline and Lou from the outside. Nika has to be a threat and this is very important. Nika is going to be a big key this season. She needs to be a threat from the outside and she needs to be able to dribble drive. She heeds to be on the floor which means she must stay out of foul trouble. We cant afford to have her on the bench because we are not deep enough....yet at the point.

I would like to see Azzi take games over much like Paige did. When we needed a basket Paige found a way to get us one either by scoring of by dishing it off. Another reason for Nika to be able to score or dribble drive. Shes a tuff kid and she will find a way Im confident of that.

We have seen Caroline take games over. Think of this having Azzi and Caroline being able to make plays to take games over with Nika and Lou threats to score. This is what great UConn teams were all about. Lou must gain respect and prover herself at the UConn level. This will be necessary to gain the respect we have had in the past. Basketball is a team game and we proved last season without many key players we still found a way to win. WE fought and showed grit and overcame alot last season. When Paige went down we did not adjust well which is understandable in the middle of the season. As the season progressed we adjusted. This seaosn we have had time to prepare to play without Paige. We have the weapons and we have alot more weapons then most other teams. The concern is we are not completely heathy.

Im not real concerned about other people negative opinions when it comes to UConn. Alot of those opinions are coming imo from wish lists and hoping UConn finally falls from the top. We are too talented to fall that low. Barring a major disaster to the team mush like more key injuries we are going to be there. For some of us who have concerns remember this. WIth what happened last season to UConn was almost unbelievable. No one could see something like that happening to any team and we made the final game. Remember that this season. It will be a little bumpy and may not look the way we expect but when March comes around we will be there.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I just noticed that my origional post would not let me edit it as I took to long. My apologies for posting this finished post. I dont know how to delete this first post. Any help would be appreciated.

What we know and what we dont know. Let me start by saying there are people who dont know that they dont know. We have so many people on this board the do know alot of whats going on but not behind the scenes.

First of all we cant control what other teams do or who they get or who they have. We dont know how Caroline and Azzi will play early on and our schedule is very tuff. With that said they will need to be brought along slowly to keep them healthy. We are not deep at the guard position which means Nika must stay on the floor and not get in foul trouble. This imo is key as Azzi and Caroline will not be able to go long minutes in every game. Our bigs are talented and will be key especially early on. Geno may lean on them a little more then we saw in the past. For that reason this team will be operating differently then in the past. The bigs will need to score and rebound.

Lou will be interesting to watch. Against top teams we will need her to score. Because of her reputation she will be a threat and she will have to prove she can score at the UConn level. If she does then we have Azzi Caroline and Lou from the outside. Nika has to be a threat and this is very important. Nika is going to be a big key this season. She needs to be a threat from the outside and she needs to be able to dribble drive. She heeds to be on the floor which means she must stay out of foul trouble. We cant afford to have her on the bench because we are not deep enough....yet at the point.

I would like to see Azzi take games over much like Paige did. When we needed a basket Paige found a way to get us one either by scoring of by dishing it off. Another reason for Nika to be able to score or dribble drive. Shes a tuff kid and she will find a way Im confident of that.

We have seen Caroline take games over. Think of this having Azzi and Caroline being able to make plays to take games over with Nika and Lou threats to score. This is what great UConn teams were all about. Lou must gain respect and prover herself at the UConn level. This will be necessary to gain the respect we have had in the past. Basketball is a team game and we proved last season without many key players we still found a way to win. WE fought and showed grit and overcame alot last season. When Paige went down we did not adjust well which is understandable in the middle of the season. As the season progressed we adjusted. This seaosn we have had time to prepare to play without Paige. We have the weapons and we have alot more weapons then most other teams. The concern is we are not completely heathy.

Im not real concerned about other people negative opinions when it comes to UConn. Alot of those opinions are coming imo from wish lists and hoping UConn finally falls from the top. We are too talented to fall that low. Barring a major disaster to the team mush like more key injuries we are going to be there. For some of us who have concerns remember this. WIth what happened last season to UConn was almost unbelievable. No one could see something like that happening to any team and we made the final game. Remember that this season. It will be a little bumpy and may not look the way we expect but when March comes around we will be there.
Tony, two things we have in common, an unbridled sense of optimism for this team, and the ability to write “novel length” posts. Write on sir!! :)

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
A few things to add. Regarding the thread title: It's a team sport, which is why the best team to put on the floor doesn't necessarily consist of the five best players. And, UConn has the best coach in the land, who knows how to make the best team out of the players he has.

Second, regarding your post: You talk about players taking a game over, but you only mention guards/wings. I think UConn has front-court players capable of taking games over, offensively or defensively. I'm hoping there will be a couple of competitive games in which Aubrey, Dorka, Aaliyah, or even one of the as-yet unproven players takes over.

Reaction Score
I think Tonyc and Carnac are really the same person.
Happy Pumped Up GIF by AT&T

Reaction Score
@Tonyc I have learned over the months how to read and adjust to your posting style. All is good, sir. Keep up the great posting. I agree, basketball is a team sport. Even though we marvel at individuals that stand out, the beauty of the game is when every player understands their role on the team and plays to that role. With that being said, I am looking forward to seeing which players have improved, are 100% healthy, and locked in and focused. They don't break the huddle with "Together!" for nothing. Play the UConn Way

Carnac

Reaction Score
Uhhh no. I've only been in the yard since Jan 2015. Tony has been in the yard from the beginning, and is much closer to the program than I am. In many respects we do think alike, especially about our admiration for the team and the potential we believe this team has. Tony is BY FAR the most optimistic person in the yard. I was bummed out for about a week when I read the news of Paige going down for the year. I must say that Tony's comments helped me out of that brief state of depression (Thanks Tony).

If the ball bounces our way this year in close games, and we don't suffer anymore season ending injuries, I believe this team can do some wonderful things and once again go deep into the tournament. I've been watching the WNBA playoffs this weekend. If our team could/will play the tight defense that these teams play, we'll be fine. :)

Reaction Score
“If the ball bounces our way this year in close games, and we don't suffer anymore season ending injuries, I believe this team can do some wonderful things and once again go deep into the tournament.…If our team could/will play the tight defense that these teams play, we'll be fine”…and, we’ve learned that important lesson of winning the rebounding game, against top opponents….I like our odds:cool:

Carnac

Reaction Score
@Tonyc I have learned over the months how to read and adjust to your posting style. All is good, sir. Keep up the great posting. I agree, basketball is a team sport. Even though we marvel at individuals that stand out, the beauty of the game is when every player understands their role on the team and plays to that role. With that being said, I am looking forward to seeing which players have improved, are 100% healthy, and locked in and focused. They don't break the huddle with "Together!" for nothing. Play the UConn Way

Somebody is going to stand up and become the floor/team leader for us. We just don't know who it is yet. Paige IS the one player that everyone looked up to and accepted direction from. She is the unquestioned leader of this team. Unfortunately, she'll have to do all of her cheerleading this year from the bench.

I could be wrong, but I think Caroline Ducharme will be the "quiet" leader of this team. She's not rah-rah like Paige is or Diana Taurasi was, but more like Maya Moore was. She's serious and no non-sense. She's knows what Geno and her teammates need her to do. I'm betting she comes through for us big time if Geno gives her the green light and lots of rope. :cool:

Reaction Score
Uhhh no. I've only been in the yard since Jan 2015. Tony has been in the yard from the beginning, and is much closer to the program than I am. In many respects we do think alike, especially about our admiration for the team and the potential we believe this team has. Tony is BY FAR the most optimistic person in the yard. I was bummed out for about a week when I read the news of Paige going down for the year. I must say that Tony's comments helped me out of that brief state of depression (Thanks Tony).

If the ball bounces our way this year in close games, and we don't suffer anymore season ending injuries, I believe this team can do some wonderful things and once again go deep into the tournament. I've been watching the WNBA playoffs this weekend. If our team could/will play the tight defense that these teams play, we'll be fine. :)
First of all, no one is more optimistic about this team than me!

Second of all, if you've made 13,188 posts since January 2015, that means an average of 47,374 posts per year. When do you have time to compete with me and @Tonyc for optimism?

Carnac

Reaction Score
“If the ball bounces our way this year in close games, and we don't suffer anymore season ending injuries, I believe this team can do some wonderful things and once again go deep into the tournament.…If our team could/will play the tight defense that these teams play, we'll be fine”…and, we’ve learned that important lesson of winning the rebounding game, against top opponents….I like our odds:cool:
Didn't somebody once say "I'd rather be lucky than good".

Reaction Score
I guess I just don’t understand this idea that Azzi and Caroline in particular and, to a lesser extent, Dorka, are going to have to have their minutes monitored. Aubrey I can understand as she is dealing with back issues. However, Azzi and Caroline will have had more than an entire off-season to rehab and build strength. It just begs the question (to me) that if they are not fully recovered after all that time and effort when will they be? I get that there should be some caution involved in reintegrating back into the game but it seems to me that they will have had plenty of time during their rehab to be fully healthy and ready to go. I mean, six+ months of rehab! Admittedly, I’m no expert but I wonder if we are not exaggerating the “limited minutes” thing on Azzi, Caroline, and maybe even Dorka?
First of all, no one is more optimistic about this team than me!

Second of all, if you've made 13,188 posts since January 2015, that means an average of 47,374 posts per year. When do you have time to compete with me and @Tonyc for optimism?
? I think the Math Train just derailed!

Carnac

Reaction Score
I guess I just don’t understand this idea that Azzi and Caroline in particular and, to a lesser extent, Dorka, are going to have to have their minutes monitored. Aubrey I can understand as she is dealing with back issues. However, Azzi and Caroline will have had more than an entire off-season to rehab and build strength. It just begs the question (to me) that if they are not fully recovered after all that time and effort when will they be? I get that there should be some caution involved in reintegrating back into the game but it seems to me that they will have had plenty of time during their rehab to be fully healthy and ready to go. I mean, six+ months of rehab! Admittedly, I’m no expert but I wonder if we are not exaggerating the “limited minutes” thing on Azzi, Caroline, and maybe even Dorka?

? I think the Math Train just derailed!
Cuango, ANYTHING any of us write or suggest about minutes, who's going to start, who's needs to step up, etc, is pure SPECULATION. Geno has said many times that the fans have no idea what's going on. He was smiling when he said it, but he was serious. The only ones that really know what's going on are the coaches, and they don't post here (that we know of). This is August. Practice doesn't begin for another 2 months. Right now, I doubt if Geno knows what he's going to do. Based on who does what in practice will determine his course of action. Anything we read here until we here is for our amusement only.

A poster wrote something recently that I think is very true. He/she said the 5 best players won't necessarily start. It will be the 5 players that play better together than any other possible combination. How can any of us know which 5 that's going to be in August? Regardless of who starts, I think the first 3 players off the bench will get plenty of playing time, especially if Geno tries to do a lot of full court trapping/pressing.

We can get serious about the beginning of the season when Geno gives us a "state of the team" report a day or two before the exhibition game with Kutztown State in November. I'm the "unofficial seer" of the yard, and I can't see that far ahead. :confused: The Sunday Nov 6 (exhibition game with Kutztown State will be here soon enough. Hopefully everyone will be 100% healthy or close to it. We'll all know what's going on with the players and who Geno and his staff is high on. After the first 5 games (Northeastern, Texas, NC St., Duke and Iowa/Oregon, we'll be able to figure things out for ourselves.

I still believe Geno will add a player to the roster this week. Classes resume a week from tomorrow. Anyone he brings in MUST be enrolled and on campus by then.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Second, regarding your post: You talk about players taking a game over, but you only mention guards/wings. I think UConn has front-court players capable of taking games over, offensively or defensively. I'm hoping there will be a couple of competitive games in which Aubrey, Dorka, Aaliyah, or even one of the as-yet unproven players takes over.

I've watched Bueckers for years and usually she dominated for a half and facilitated for a half. Fudd the same. What is more common on UConn is that a player takes over for 4 minutes or maybe a quarter. And UConn has several players capable of doing that. Fudd & Ducharme are obvious but like you said both Juhasz and Edwards can carry the team for a few minutes to a quarter.

But generally UConn spreads the points because they have a lot of scorers. Clark would not lead the country in pts scored at Storrs.

Reaction Score
I've watched Bueckers for years and usually she dominated for a half and facilitated for a half. Fudd the same. What is more common on UConn is that a player takes over for 4 minutes or maybe a quarter. And UConn has several players capable of doing that. Fudd & Ducharme are obvious but like you said both Juhasz and Edwards can carry the team for a few minutes to a quarter.

But generally UConn spreads the points because they have a lot of scorers. Clark would not lead the country in pts scored at Storrs.
Well said about Clark, Alydar. And I'll add, as a Husky that Caitlin likely would happily lead the country in assists, as she has at Iowa.

Back to reality... if the Huskies as a team are among the country's leaders in assists, no matter who's dishing them out, they'll be mighty difficult to beat!

Reaction Score
What we know and what we dont know. First of all we cant control what other teams do or who they have. We dont know how Caroline and Azzi will play early on and our schedule is very tuff. With that said they will need to be brought along slowly to keep them healthy. We are not deep at the guard position which means Nika must stay on the floor and not get in foul trouble. This imo is key as Azzi and Caroline will not be able to go long minutes in every game. Our bigs are talented and will be key especially early on. They will need to score and rebound. Lou will be interesting to watch. Against top teams we will need her to score. Because of her reputation she will be a threat and she will have to prove she can score at the UConn level. If she does then we have Azzi Caroline and Lou from the outside. Nika has to be a threat and this is very important. Nika is going to be a big key this season. She needs to be a threat from the outside and she needs to be able to dribble drive. She heeds to be on the floor which means she must stay out of foul trouble. We cant afford to have her on the bench. I would like to see Azzi take games over. We have seen Caroline do it. This will be necessary to gain the respect we have had in the past. Basketball is a team game and we proved last season without many key players we still found a way to win. When Paige went down we did not adjust well which is understandable. As the season progressed we did. We have had time to prepare this season for another Paigeless team. We have the weapons. Im not real concerned about everybodys opinion. Alot of those opinions are coming imo from wish lists and hoping UConn finally falls from the top. They wont unless a major disaster happens to the team like more key injuries.
@Tonyc Cheerleader of the Best!! Caroline after surgery, you are right is a question. Azzi, proved last season, she was a keeper, scorer and knew this high level game. We can put Azzi in our bank and spend her wisely.
While Uconn is your team and mine. Geno, Christine, Associates OWN this team. They are the brains before, during and after games. We speak highly of the players--as we should. But, if Uconn is to win, and they do, it is that group that will make it happen, using of course those you mention.
Lou, is an unknown at Div1 level. Will she glow as the star she may be? Or will the speed, physicality, intensity of the game and Geno, be too much for her?
I believe, if you played basketball for 10 years, anywhere, and you play well, it may take a few games but you can play anywhere. A good basketball player, that believes in herself, can play well at any level. That has shown to be true on the number of Uconn kids in the W and in top European/Asian/Australian leagues.

Reaction Score
Didn't somebody once say "I'd rather be lucky than good".
No I didn't say that: I said: I rather be lucky AND good, perhaps, GREAT.
We are not South Carolina, the only thing that make SC LOOK better, TODAY, is Boston. The lost of Paige is bad, very bad--but not team future threatening. I see 2 last year freshman that are exceptional players/scorer/chips down attackers. Just think of the games they were in with Paige (and without) AZZI and Caroline, Edwards (she's so good we forget her), Nika (under rated), DeBerry is a question. But DeBerry is still here, which means Geno thinks she can contribute well this year.
I keep touting Caroline--If she came along anytime other than this year she'd be leading this team. Azzi, is one exceptional player. The last player with her hand eye coordination (shooting eye) was KML and Azzi as a frosh was a more "all around" player.
Long winded, as usual, way of saying--we, at this time are second to none in the USA WCBB.

Reaction Score
Cuango, ANYTHING any of us write or suggest about minutes, who's going to start, who's needs to step up, etc, is pure SPECULATION. Geno has said many times that the fans have no idea what's going on. He was smiling when he said it, but he was serious. The only ones that really know what's going on are the coaches, and they don't post here (that we know of). This is August. Practice doesn't begin for another 2 months. Right now, I doubt if Geno knows what he's going to do. Based on who does what in practice will determine his course of action. Anything we read here until we here is for our amusement only.

A poster wrote something recently that I think is very true. He/she said the 5 best players won't necessarily start. It will be the 5 players that play better together than any other possible combination. How can any of us know which 5 that's going to be in August? Regardless of who starts, I think the first 3 players off the bench will get plenty of playing time, especially if Geno tries to do a lot of full court trapping/pressing.

We can get serious about the beginning of the season when Geno gives us a "state of the team" report a day or two before the exhibition game with Kutztown State in November. I'm the "unofficial seer" of the yard, and I can't see that far ahead. :confused: The Sunday Nov 6 (exhibition game with Kutztown State will be here soon enough. Hopefully everyone will be 100% healthy or close to it. We'll all know what's going on with the players and who Geno and his staff is high on. After the first 5 games (Northeastern, Texas, NC St., Duke and Iowa/Oregon, we'll be able to figure things out for ourselves.

I still believe Geno will add a player to the roster this week. Classes resume a week from tomorrow. Anyone he brings in MUST be enrolled and on campus by then.
I like this post. On Geno. He stated the Obvious. No, none of us, well most of us, don't know what's happening within their inner circle. That is true. WE don't know who is fighting among themselves, personality conflicts, etc. That too is true.
However, with those players from the last 3 years fans have a decent insight on what they are capable of doing or not. And that is an indicator of what they shall do.
I hope you are correct in one more DECENT, capable of Uconn , player. We need more.

Reaction Score
@Tonyc Cheerleader of the Best!! Caroline after surgery, you are right is a question. Azzi, proved last season, she was a keeper, scorer and knew this high level game. We can put Azzi in our bank and spend her wisely.
While Uconn is your team and mine. Geno, Christine, Associates OWN this team. They are the brains before, during and after games. We speak highly of the players--as we should. But, if Uconn is to win, and they do, it is that group that will make it happen, using of course those you mention.
Lou, is an unknown at Div1 level. Will she glow as the star she may be? Or will the speed, physicality, intensity of the game and Geno, be too much for her?
I believe, if you played basketball for 10 years, anywhere, and you play well, it may take a few games but you can play anywhere. A good basketball player, that believes in herself, can play well at any level. That has shown to be true on the number of Uconn kids in the W and in top European/Asian/Australian leagues.

The UConn coaching staff decided to bring her in. I can fret over her future at UConn for all the reasons you list, or I can defer to their judgement. Easy choice.

Reaction Score
THREE CHEER FOR @Tonyc . YEA RA RA TONY C. HE'S OUR MAN, IF TONY CAN'T CHEER IT NO BODY CAN. YEA---TONYC.
I thought it time to give @Tonyc --some of what he give Uconn and us commonly. Thank you TonyC
Geno says---Opinions are like armpits, everyone has one And-------, you know. I like Opinions TonyC, as long as they go along with mine!
A person that lives by others opinions will live with the direction of the win, always changing.
This is your TEAM TonyC, this is MY TEAM. I've been with UCWBB since the early 90's . Men before the 60's. I've seen both win big, lose big. The women won my basketball heart. I hate their losses, for them, not me. Geno has had so many 30 win seasons I've come to expect that--but you can bet I'll be watching them , and complaining, when they only win 20 or less. They are that much fun to watch. Tonyc--this is OUR team.

Reaction Score
The UConn coaching staff decided to bring her in. I can fret over her future at UConn for all the reasons you list, or I can defer to their judgement. Easy choice.
I don't pretend to be Geno. I did that once and the lump on my head never went away. I don't defer to Geno or the Coaches decisions, I accept them. Do I have a choice? I liked the days when I could email Geno or Christine, /Some of Geno's replies must have burned out the wires to my Laptop.

Reaction Score
Lou’s not an unknown quantity at D1. She’s played a couple games against D1 competition. She played well against both Indiana and Texas last year. I don’t know what Geno saw, but I can guess. The girl’s a shooter. We’ll see if she can play D at this level. I bet she can.

sun

Reaction Score
Nika is going to be a big key this season. She needs to be a threat from the outside and she needs to be able to dribble drive. She heeds to be on the floor which means she must stay out of foul trouble. We cant afford to have her on the bench because we are not deep enough....yet at the point.
We need to ask ourselves how can UConn develop back up PG's if Nika can't come off the floor.
If Geno wants to insure that there's back up PG's, then Nika will need to come off the floor so someone else can learn the position.

I can see Ice becoming an important scorer because of her dependable midrange shooting ability.
She may be able to switch in & out with multiple players because she seems extremely versatile.
IMO Ice has the potential to be a real wild card for UConn, and she reminds me of Napheesa Collier.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom