Basketball cliches you dont like (and other sports too) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Basketball cliches you dont like (and other sports too)

Reaction Score
“They” refers to the Jaguars fans you misquoted in your original post.

And yes, that means you misquoted a group of people. How can you say you didn’t?

Now, do YOU see how this works? This is such a weird argument.
Show me where I directly quoted Jax Jaguars fans. I DIDN'T say I hate when Jaguar fans say it. I don't even know any so how would I quote them? Look back at my original comment. You also seem to ignore the fact I said that sportscasters on tv is where I hear it from. They can't discuss the team without saying it like they have a bullhorn at a frat party. Saying I hate when Rich Eisen says "Duvaaal" is quoting someone. I said I hate that whole "Duvaaal county" thing, ya know like the phrase. That is not directly quoting an entire city or county(how would one even do that?) or putting words in anyones mouth. I don't know how more clear I can be and how you can't see the difference. You act like I'm insulting an entire city or something. You are being very oversensitive about a rather benign comment. I clearly touched a nerve. We share a difference of opinion. So be it. Can we move on now? This IS weird.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
It’s the next Larry bird!
Of course he's not literally a bird.
...but here we are.
^ Here it honors a mention.

Not a fan of "possibly one of the best" (or any superlative). It's offering a double equivocation when either one will do the work of both.

"He's one of the best..."

"He's possibly the best.."

Pick a lane.

Reaction Score
"Dribble Drive" is the worst if you ask me......how else are you going to drive if you aren't dribbling? If you drive without the ball, that's just called cutting. If you drive without dribbling that's called traveling.

Reaction Score
"Dribble Drive" is the worst if you ask me......how else are you going to drive if you aren't dribbling? If you drive without the ball, that's just called cutting. If you drive without dribbling that's called traveling.
Thank God I'm not alone on this.

Reaction Score
This is used a lot in hockey, when a goalie gives up a bad goal and they say, "He wasn't ready for that shot." What is he doing in net if he isn't ready?

Reaction Score
So I hear hundreds of times a year...."This is a big play".....No kidding.....
By the way my all time favorite which I am not sure is a cliche was Dee Rowe talking about John Pinone when he said, he can't jump over the Sunday Paper.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
"they call that every time", when there's NOTHING they call every time

"the old fashion three", c'mon man

"the presence of mind". He had the presence of mind to throw the ball to first base, duuuuuh

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Uconn/Cincy games were rough and tough but they were not "fistfights in a phone booth."

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
"Johnny-on-the-spot" means the ball bounced a certain way and you got lucky to be there...

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
He's a "pure athlete." As opposed to an "impure athlete," or one with chemical and/or elemental impurities?

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
"He really brought his stuff tonight." As opposed to not packing any luggage for a long road trip?

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Whenever a sports meathead is being interviewed, and is asked a question, and this is their immediate answer…

“No question,” followed by an answer.

Uh, meathead, it’s a question, you were asked one.

Reaction Score
"He hates to lose." I mean who likes losing? As if everyone else doesn't care and the player in question is special.
There are definitely a lot of players like that. We talk about recruiting "winners" all the time as UConn fans, and not just guys trying to get their stats and make the NBA

Reaction Score
"He hates to lose." I mean who likes losing? As if everyone else doesn't care and the player in question is special.
This is a good one. It reminds me of the way overused "they wanted it more". This accepts as fact the silly notion that both teams have players of exactly equal ability but one team lacked desire as a unit which accounted for the loss. We use this to explain losing to a bad team because it's easier than admitting our team is not very good.

Poe

Reaction Score
“Heat check”, “pure”, “nice”

Horatio

15 years no Madden
Reaction Score
I absolutely hate all the modern, current basketball sneakers. Zero ankle protection. Might as well play in Crocs. And I don’t wanna hear a NERD tell me that the high tops from the 80’s and 90’s don’t offer more protection than the sandals that are worn today. The legends played in canvas high tops and NEVER got injured as much.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom