Based on the roster as we know it right now, who do you think starts next season? | The Boneyard

Based on the roster as we know it right now, who do you think starts next season?

Who starts the first games in November?

• Evina

• Olivia

• Christyn

• Aubrey

• Paige

• Nika

• Aaliyah

• Mir

• Azzi

• Amari

• Caroline

• Saylor

Results are only viewable after voting.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
First, let me say that some people get super annoyed at these polls/threads. My advice, skip it. No need to comment "this is dumb".

I realize that things might change during the season given injuries, poor play, or exceptional play, but who do you think starts the beginning of the season in November based on who we currently have? Please note no disrespect meant to Piath and Autumn, but I'm not including them. I'm listing the players by year...

This also assumes that EVERYONE is 100% healthy at the start of the season. No nagging injuries or ailments... Also, this is not a poll on "who gets the most minutes". It's "who starts on day 1"...

You can vote for up to 5 players... Duh! Since we are voting on the starting 5!! :D

Reaction Score
I like this line up but the 4 position would be pretty nerve racking against teams with size ? Heck even the 5 at times ....
Interesting. One thing I would say is that we need a line up which will work against Stanford, SC, Baylor, and use that line up all year. We cannot settle for a small line up during the season because it works in the Big East.

Reaction Score
Based on this year, there's no way Aaliyah is not starting next year. The team needs her physicality, her athleticism, her rebounding and her ability to finish around the rim. Olivia after this year is not guaranteed to start. Maybe I'm wrong, but I wouldn't feel too comfortable being in her shoes.

Reaction Score
But it seems like most teams play with small ball, I fact I would say all the elite eight teams used a four guard line up outside of South Carolina and Baylor.

Reaction Score
Aaliyah is very skilled for a big player, but I’m not sure you would want her matched up against Haley Jones, and I’m sure you wouldn’t want Liv to guard Jones.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Based on this year, there's no way Aaliyah is not starting next year. The team needs her physicality, her athleticism, her rebounding and her ability to finish around the rim. Olivia after this year is not guaranteed to start. Maybe I'm wrong, but I wouldn't feel too comfortable being in her shoes.
I agree about the need for Aaliyah to start, but disagree about your disparagement of Liv.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Geno talked about positionless basketball, spreading the floor, where everyone can shoot the 3. So I’m going all in on my fantasy starting 5 for next season:

Evina
Christyn
Paige
Nika
Azzi

How’s that for positionless basketball?

Reaction Score
The main reason I was reluctant to put Azzi in there is 1. she has an injury to deal with before she can even play, 2. she will need to get her conditioning up, 3. she will need to learn the UConn system. That's a lot stacked against her, and Geno already has a pretty good starting five that is experienced and knows what they are doing. There is no rush to bring in someone new. Could also see a scenario where some of our starters are starters in name only by the time January/February rolls around.

Reaction Score
Not sure about opening day exactly but I think mid-season will be:

Paige-Azzi-Williams-Westbrook-ONO
and
Paige-Azzi-Williams-Edwards-ONO

Depending on matchups Edwards comes in either at the start or immediately off the bench after the first TO.

I can see Muhl starting some games at the start of the season but it'll be pretty difficult to keep Fudd out of the starting lineup for too long. Either way it seems like there's a lot of consensus on the Top 7 minute getters. It'll be interesting to see how much the rest of the players develop and whether they can force their way into the rotation. I have a feeling Ducharme will be getting some pretty solid minutes as well.

Reaction Score
Interesting. One thing I would say is that we need a line up which will work against Stanford, SC, Baylor, and use that line up all year. We cannot settle for a small line up during the season because it works in the Big East.
Yes,Yes,Yes! Whatever the lineup is that would give us the best chance to beat the best teams next March, is the one we should start the season with and groom to a well oiled machine by the time the tournament arrives. In my opinion that means playing a true PF not another year of small-ball with a wing out of position.

It's not like we don't have one. I can see waiting a bit on Aaliyah in her freshman season, but she is the future of that position, pencil her in for the next three years. Other than Paige and Azzi I think Aaliyah will have the best career at Uconn and in the WNBA. Her upside is way better than Christyn or Evina for example.

I know it is very hard to conceive of demoting a very good starter, even more so if they are a senior with pro ambitions, but this influx of talent makes these kind of excruciatingly hard decisions pretty much the new normal. Look at Anna she was a starter her freshmen year. That became number 8 in a sometimes 7 player rotation in her sophomore season. Next year I think Azzi and Amari moving past her was probable, and Carolyn might have been about 50/50. She easily could have been #11 next year. Potentially from starter to Pulido role in two seasons, mostly because of just a huge amount of even better talent coming in.

Because we have a star now at PF, and a generational talent in Azzi coming on board, I think the best decision means two out of three from Nika, Evina and Christyn start the game on the bench, however inconceivable that seems. Many will say no way, but doesn't it also seem inconceivable that a team that was relatively weak at outside shooting would sit the consensus #1 player in her class who is considered the best shooter in a generation? Or how about not starting a natural PF with an All American future, and a style that clearly compliments the existing starting C, in her sophomore year when Geno says the great players blossom.

Geno will have to decide, but no matter what he decides, I think a majority of those on the Boneyard will be disappointed because one of the players they thought just "had to start" likely won't. There is so much disagreement on this, that I suspect few will actually get all five starters right.

Reaction Score
ONO's defensive presence alone is enough to make her a firm starter............since she averaged 12 points a game in 26 minutes this past season and she will be wide open far more often with Azzi Fudd in the back court, I think she's going to be jumping for joy in those comfortable shoes!! Edwards will probably get the fifth starting spot with Westbrook coming off the bench unless Geno feels like starting a small lineup from time to time.......

Reaction Score
I think by season's end the best five, not necessarily the starting five, will be a lineup of Paige-CW-Azzi-Edwards-ONO.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Assuming everyone (except Anna) is back and is healthy, I think we have the same starters:

Paige (36 mpg last year)
Nika (24)
Christyn (34)
Evina (31)
Liv (26)

I think Paige, Christyn, and Evina have fewer minutes, maybe 26-28 mpg.

I see a guard rotation of Nika, Paige, and Azzi.

I also see Aaliyah and Azzi as the first subs in, likely at the first TV TO.

I love Azzi as much as anyone. I think she gets starter minutes, though she doesn't start at the beginning of the season. Kaleena led the team in scoring as a freshman--off the bench. So did Maya. I can see a similar scenario for Azzi.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I'd be very surprised if the best shooter in college basketball is on the bench at the start of any UConn game unless she's injured................I'm hoping I never see that.......
And yet both Diana and Maya came off the bench (uninjured) until injuries opened up a starting spot for them. On the flip side, Stef and Bria started from day 1. Not because they were better prospects, but because of need.

Paige started because she was the best PG on the team from day 1, and it became clear pretty quickly that she was the best player on the team. And yet if Geno had a different PG option ahead of Paige, I'm betting she would have come off the bench to start the season.

Reaction Score
I really like Nika's game and she adds a lot to the offensive flow, but if Azzi is as good as they say and is healthy, I don't see any way she doesn't start

Reaction Score
And yet both Diana and Maya came off the bench (uninjured) until injuries opened up a starting spot for them. On the flip side, Stef and Bria started from day 1. Not because they were better prospects, but because of need.

Paige started because she was the best PG on the team from day 1, and it became clear pretty quickly that she was the best player on the team. And yet if Geno had a different PG option ahead of Paige, I'm betting she would have come off the bench to start the season.
these two back court players were made to play together and already have, so they have a decided advantage going into the season...........if UConn's biggest problem is scoring points then why would you not start the best scorer on the team from day one? I mean she's already head and shoulders better than any other shooter on the team and that includes Ms. Bueckers...............if she doesn't start game one she'll be the starter by games 4 or 5.........Evina coming off the bench would be a real luxury that Geno could take great advantage of.........

Reaction Score
Near unanimous on 4. Very rare for the BY.
And then the last spot split among 3, with 0 votes to anyone else.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom