Based on the roster as we know it right now, who do you think starts next season? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Based on the roster as we know it right now, who do you think starts next season?

Who starts the first games in November?

• Evina

• Olivia

• Christyn

• Aubrey

• Paige

• Nika

• Aaliyah

• Mir

• Azzi

• Amari

• Caroline

• Saylor

Results are only viewable after voting.
Reaction Score
I suggested my starting 5 as something of a fantasy: 5 guards who can all handle the ball and shoot it. My actual guess for the starting 5 would be Liv in place of Azzi at the start of the season with Aaliyah & Azzi both pressing hard to break into the starting lineup, and certainly earning major PT off the bench.

I would not underestimate Nika’s ability to hold onto her starting spot. She makes Paige better by handling the PG role, which allows Paige to slide into the 2 spot and hunt her shot. Nika is maybe the toughest player on the team. She can disrupt the opposing team’s offense with her relentless defensive pressure on the ball and Geno loves having her in the lineup.
So the best shooting 2guard to come out of high school in a long time should back up the best point guard to come out of high school in a long time so she can play the shooting guard position? Azzi has played point guards a few times, I think Geno will be able to move Paige off the ball from time to time if Azzi starts.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
So the best shooting 2guard to come out of high school in a long time should back up the best point guard to come out of high school in a long time so she can play the shooting guard position? Azzi has played point guards a few times, I think Geno will be able to move Paige off the ball from time to time if Azzi starts.
Not suggesting any such thing. Azzi can earn PT subbing for Nika, Christyn, Evina & Paige to start. If she’s healthy she will certainly compete for a starting spot, with Nika the most likely player to lose her starting spot. I’m just making the point that Nika is a fierce competitor who has no plan to step aside just because Azzi is on the roster.

Keep in mind that when Nika was recruited she had absolutely no fear of competing for PT with Paige. As it worked out, they both started and the team thrived as a result.

Reaction Score
I think by season's end the best five, not necessarily the starting five, will be a lineup of Paige-CW-Azzi-Edwards-ONO.
I agree with this statement. 3pt shooters, plenty of offense, and rim protection. Rebounding is covered and we hope Azzi can guard a chair. Paige needs to work on her man defense. Geno hid her on the other team's weakest player. National Champs 2022. Evina, Nika, Aubrey will offer energy off the bench. Hopefully, Piath or Deberry can offer the bigs some rest.

Reaction Score
if it was just your ordinary highly ranked high school recruit I would agree but is as good or better than PB in many ways and that kind of rare talent doesn't sit very often......
I'm definitely going to have to see that to believe it. Interestingly, it would seem Paige will be first in line to help enable Azzi succeed, even if it results in less gaudy stats for herself. Such an unselfish player. I also think it's going to push Nika's development into another gear as well, simply out of competitiveness (pretty obvious she doesn't lack in that department).

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Same as this year, with Azzi, AE, AG and Caroline as shock troops off the bench. Could and probably will change somewhat during the year, with Azzi and AE most likely to replace Nika and ?. No matter who starts and who comes off the bench, it will be a killer1

Reaction Score
I'm definitely going to have to see that to believe it. Interestingly, it would seem Paige will be first in line to help enable Azzi succeed, even if it results in less gaudy stats for herself. Such an unselfish player. I also think it's going to push Nika's development into another gear as well, simply out of competitiveness (pretty obvious she doesn't lack in that department).
oh you'll see it...........if she's healthy there's not much question who the better shooter and defender is............ is no slouch as a passer either.........

Reaction Score
Ok the lineup is set. Just send it on to Geno to implement and we can all move on!
The fun of having a board is to discuss the team. That's the fun of sports, which is what people have done since the beginning of sports.

Reaction Score
I suggested my starting 5 as something of a fantasy: 5 guards who can all handle the ball and shoot it. My actual guess for the starting 5 would be Liv in place of Azzi at the start of the season with Aaliyah & Azzi both pressing hard to break into the starting lineup, and certainly earning major PT off the bench.

I would not underestimate Nika’s ability to hold onto her starting spot. She makes Paige better by handling the PG role, which allows Paige to slide into the 2 spot and hunt her shot. Nika is maybe the toughest player on the team. She can disrupt the opposing team’s offense with her relentless defensive pressure on the ball and Geno loves having her in the lineup.
Do you think Olivia is a better overall player than Aaliyah? Aaliyah doesn't have Olivia's shot blocking skills, but in terms of effort, physicality, athleticism, handling the ball, and finishing around the rim, I would take Aaliyah over Olivia.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Do you think Olivia is a better overall player than Aaliyah? Aaliyah doesn't have Olivia's shot blocking skills, but in terms of effort, physicality, athleticism, handling the ball, and finishing around the rim, I would take Aaliyah over Olivia.
Right now Liv has the edge. Next year we’ll see.

Reaction Score
Right now Liv has the edge. Next year we’ll see.
I think Aaliyah is going to be breathing down her neck coming out of the blocks this fall.
Tremendous improvement on her part over the course of this year.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I only hope Azzi is half as good as some here say she is. Also, I can’t believe how many seem to be sleeping on Caroline Ducharme!

See what you think of this. It's highlights from the 2019 D.C. City Championship game. As a sophomore, Azzi set the arena scoring record by pouring in 38 (someone named Delle Donne plays in the same arena). She personally outscored the Visitation team. That game reminded me of Mater Dei v. Berkeley in the 2011 California championship game. Kaleena outscored the entire Berkeley team in the 2nd half to get her team the win. If you liked KML's college career, you'll like Azzi's game.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
See what you think of this. It's highlights from the 2019 D.C. City Championship game. As a sophomore, Azzi set the arena scoring record by pouring in 38 (someone named Delle Donne plays in the same arena). She personally outscored the Visitation team. That game reminded me of Mater Dei v. Berkeley in the 2011 California championship game. Kaleena outscored the entire Berkeley team in the 2nd half to get her team the win. If you liked KML's college career, you'll like Azzi's game.

Poor No. 23. She's probably still in therapy.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
It's going to be very hard for Geno to keep Azzi off the floor. The question "who starts next year" may be moot as opposed to "who gets the most minutes". Those here who think Azzi is only "good" I suggest y'all rewatch every FIBA game she played in multiple times and watch as many HS games she played as I have. I've watched those FIBA games each about 10 times. For those with a "show me" attitude that ought to show you. I repeat, her pull up is as good or better than Paige's. Her pull up going left to right or right to left is the best I've seen, and that will translate to coming off screens. Her power drive to the basket is terrific. Her 3 pt shooting is better than Paige's. She is a great ball handler that doesn't turn the ball over and keeps her mark in front of her on defense. Remember how KML would kill you on that trail 3 in transition? Remember those corner 3's by KML that would bury teams? Well, here they are again. She's a better passer than KML. Not as good as Paige, but she's excellent, no doubt. She's not afraid to mix it up inside for rebounds. She doesn't get rattled. What more can anyone ask?

Reaction Score
It's going to be very hard for Geno to keep Azzi off the floor. The question "who starts next year" may be moot as opposed to "who gets the most minutes". Those here who think Azzi is only "good" I suggest y'all rewatch every FIBA game she played in multiple times and watch as many HS games she played as I have. I've watched those FIBA games each about 10 times. For those with a "show me" attitude that ought to show you. I repeat, her pull up is as good or better than Paige's. Her pull up going left to right or right to left is the best I've seen, and that will translate to coming off screens. Her power drive to the basket is terrific. Her 3 pt shooting is better than Paige's. She is a great ball handler that doesn't turn the ball over and keeps her mark in front of her on defense. Remember how KML would kill you on that trail 3 in transition? Remember those corner 3's by KML that would bury teams? Well, here they are again. She's a better passer than KML. Not as good as Paige, but she's excellent, no doubt. She's not afraid to mix it up inside for rebounds. She doesn't get rattled. What more can anyone ask?
This is the best framing of Azzi's skillset that I have read thus. When Steph Curry says that you have one of the best jumpers he's even seen, I mean this is high praise indeed. You notice Azzi's jumper barely ruffles the net and she shoots it the same way every time, every time... Azzi literally has no weaknesses to her offensive game and I completely agree with your assessment about who's starting which may give itself to deference to seniority and honoring contribution to the program which Geno is big on--and rightly so--however, total minutes played and significant minutes (minutes played when the game is on the line) played will always come down to overall contribution, and after Azzi does her thing initially, there is no way she doesn't get both a lot of total minutes and significant minutes...

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
This is the best framing of Azzi's skillset that I have read thus. When Steph Curry says that you have one of the best jumpers he's even seen, I mean this is high praise indeed. You notice Azzi's jumper barely ruffles the net and she shoots it the same way every time, every time... Azzi literally has no weaknesses to her offensive game and I completely agree with your assessment about who's starting which may give itself to deference to seniority and honoring contribution to the program which Geno is big on--and rightly so--however, total minutes played and significant minutes (minutes played when the game is on the line) played will always come down to overall contribution, and after Azzi does her thing initially, there is no way she doesn't get both a lot of total minutes and significant minutes...
Yes and yes. And if anyone else still doubts how good this kid is just ask @MilfordHusky who has seen her in person more than anyone on this board. He'll tell ya.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
In what way? Shot blocking Olivia definitely. Passing, yes. Everything else Aaliyah.
Liv is a better post defender right now, but it’s close, and shot blocking and passing are important parts of the game. Both are good rebounders and I agree that Aaliyah is a more consistent scorer. But neither was particularly effective against AZ. Next year I expect both to come up big in March.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Yes and yes. And if anyone else still doubts how good this kid is just ask @MilfordHusky who has seen her in person more than anyone on this board. He'll tell ya.

Some elements of Maya, some of Kaleena. An all-around excellent player and perhaps the best shot-maker ever. Watching her in warm-ups is worth the price of admission. A 50/40/90 shooter. Or better. And a very sweet person.

Given who returns to our roster, I'm not sure that Azzi starts. But I am sure that she is good enough to start. She'll get starters' minutes whether she starts the game or not.

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Poor No. 23. She's probably still in therapy.

I felt for the Visitation parents. Their star player went to the Ivies to play basketball. They were a really good team enjoying a magical season. But they ran into the best player in the history of D.C. Bad timing!

Reaction Score
The starting 5 could change by the time the season starts based on improvements over the summer and injuries.
1.Nika could improve quite a bit on her three-point shot by working on it and finishing on her drives the basket. If she can improve her offensive game it will make a difference in who starts and get the most minutes. If you watch her on the break she gives up and turns to set up the offense. Paige is so much better with the ball in her hands on the break. Her vision is the best in the WCBB. 2. Aaliyah will get better because she will be working with the Canadian National team. She will work on her foul line jumper and extending to the three-point line. She will work on her post moves and I believe she makes the same Sophmore jump that Pheesa did.
3. Paige will always be working on her game and will come back better and determined to win it all.
4. Christyn will come back determined to have a great senior season and hopefully a national Championship.
5. Liv will need to improve for us to win it all. Hopefully, she is working with a bigs coach on finishing at the basket. Her defense and rim protection are All American like.
6. Evina we hope will fully heal physically and continue to improve her 3-ball. We know all of the other things she will continue to contribute to the team.
7. Aubrey and Mir hopefully will work on the mid-range and 3 point shot. They both have trouble scoring on the inside continuously against bigger players. The energy they both bring is contagious.
8. Paith hopefully works all summer and gets stronger and works on Post moves.
9. The freshmen Welcome to UConn and you better be ready. Study the games learn the offense before you show up. Get stronger and get ready for Geno

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
I think Aaliyah is going to be breathing down her neck coming out of the blocks this fall.
Tremendous improvement on her part over the course of this year.
Just a thought, why one or the other, why not both. With what may be a wealth of incoming interchangeable talent we may be able to rotate bigs the way the guards rotate and are interchangeable. One thing is for certain, there will be a lot of length, with only Nika and maybe Azzi under 5'11".

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom