Bars to Watch Game | The Boneyard

Bars to Watch Game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
No Big 10 package for me. Anyone know a bar in the Fairfield Westport area that shows UCONN games?

Reaction Score
Maybe Colony Grill or Vinny's Ale House? Best chance is probably heading towards SoNo.

If you're just looking for the channel, you can always go for the PlayStation Vue or Sling TV free trials and cancel tomorrow...

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Consider me shocked that you recommended a spot with over 20 beers on tap. Thanks, this is a good idea.
I never knew about the place until a few months ago when the bartender at Bodega recommended it to us when we were down there for a show at FTC. It was large and accommodating with several large screens. I remember watching some soccer there so I'm sure they have tons of sports channels. It was also a Firestone promotion with $1 off all Firestone drafts plus a free Firestone pint glass, which I gladly took advantage of.

Checking their tap list now, I see that they have Firestone's Luponic Distortion, which I had that night and really liked. Jack's Abbey Kiwi Rising India Pale Lager is also very good, as are all the Sly Fox beers, if you like the style.

The thing that really struck me that night was how hopping downtown Fairfield was. It was a weeknight and the number of bars and restaurants that were packed, including several with outdoor tables, was remarkable.

BUHusky

The original. Accept no substitutes.
Reaction Score
Any Sliders in CT.

Reaction Score
I never knew about the place until a few months ago when the bartender at Bodega recommended it to us when we were down there for a show at FTC. It was large and accommodating with several large screens. I remember watching some soccer there so I'm sure they have tons of sports channels. It was also a Firestone promotion with $1 off all Firestone drafts plus a free Firestone pint glass, which I gladly took advantage of.

Checking their tap list now, I see that they have Firestone's Luponic Distortion, which I had that night and really liked. Jack's Abbey Kiwi Rising India Pale Lager is also very good, as are all the Sly Fox beers, if you like the style.

The thing that really struck me that night was how hopping downtown Fairfield was. It was a weeknight and the number of bars and restaurants that were packed, including several with outdoor tables, was remarkable.

I've actually been there a half dozen times, just never for sports. I believe they have $3 pints on Mondays, and as you mentioned, they have an excellent selection. They do very good business.

I have probably been to every place that could be recommended (never for UCONN games) but I wanted to outsource my thinking. Last week, I wanted to go downtown to catch an NFL game with an out of town friend and couldn't think of a place. The only place I could come up with was Anna Liffey's, which was sub optimal, and didn't want to repeat that tonight.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I've actually been there a half dozen times, just never for sports. I believe they have $3 pints on Mondays, and as you mentioned, they have an excellent selection. They do very good business.

I have probably been to every place that could be recommended (never for UCONN games) but I wanted to outsource my thinking. Last week, I wanted to go downtown to catch an NFL game with an out of town friend and couldn't think of a place. The only place I could come up with was Anna Liffey's, which was sub optimal, and didn't want to repeat that tonight.
Been going to the New Haven Anna Liffey's literally since the day they opened but never knew until just now that they opened one in Fairfield. How long has that been around?

Reaction Score
Been going to the New Haven Anna Liffey's literally since the day they opened but never knew until just now that they opened one in Fairfield. How long has that been around?

Not sure, but my guess is 2-3 years. I was out of the area for a while when it apparently opened. It is far smaller than the New Haven location. The previous tenant, Skybox, was the top of bar where college kids get blacked out on the regular and they haven't been able to get rid of the odor.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Not sure, but my guess is 2-3 years. I was out of the area for a while when it apparently opened. It is far smaller than the New Haven location. The previous tenant, Skybox, was the top of bar where college kids get blacked out on the regular and they haven't been able to get rid of the odor.
Don't judge me. That only happened twice.

Reaction Score

I think the "guybox" has been closed since about 2010. Anna Liffey's has been there ever since. The last time I was there I did notice that the urine smell was gone. They cleaned the place up nicely.

Reaction Score
I think the "guybox" has been closed since about 2010. Anna Liffey's has been there ever since. The last time I was there I did notice that the urine smell was gone. They cleaned the place up nicely.

No urine smell, just reeks of stale beer. It's not a bad place, just really divey. Watched some games this weekend at Crave, which I highly recommend.

Reaction Score

All the cool kids hang at Trinity nowadays.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
All the cool kids hang at Trinity nowadays.
Yeah, and I don't hang at any of them...

I loved Liffey's when it first opened and for several years thereafter, but it has never been the same since Ashley, who was one of the three original owners, left to return home to Ireland. Not surprisingly, I hear he is running a very successful place of his own there. Last I heard he was trying to get New Haven-style pizza going over there.

Only been to Trinity a couple times.

Prime 16 was my most regular spot in recent years, with occasional Cask Republic stops, but since I cut way back on beers a few months ago I don't frequent any of them. Only been to Barcade once and have not even been to Beer Collective yet. I do like Three Sheets.

Reaction Score
Yeah, and I don't hang at any of them...

I loved Liffey's when it first opened and for several years thereafter, but it has never been the same since Ashley, who was one of the three original owners, left to return home to Ireland. Not surprisingly, I hear he is running a very successful place of his own there. Last I heard he was trying to get New Haven-style pizza going over there.

Prime 16 was my most regular spot in recent years, with occasional Cask Republic stops, but since I cut way back on beers a few months ago I don't frequent any of them. Only been to Barcade once and have not even been to Beer Collective yet. I do like Three Sheets.

I miss Malone's;)

Reaction Score

Well the owners, Eddie and Shane, are great and used to work at (maybe partly own) Liffey's. If you ever want to catch a UConn game at Trinity I'll buy ya a beer, hit me up. I agree that Three Sheets is pretty great as well.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Well the owners, Eddie and Shane, are great and used to work at (maybe partly own) Liffey's. If you ever want to catch a UConn game at Trinity I'll buy ya a beer, hit me up. I agree that Three Sheets is pretty great as well.
Deal! Will do. Thanks. I did like Trinity; I actually watched the US-Germany World Cup game outside there. That was a great scene.

I'm pretty sure I know the guys to whom you're referring, from when they were at Liffey's. And Christy, another one of the former Liffey owners, has another Irish place further down Orange from Trinity. Went there once for lunch soon after they opened because I was meeting someone there; haven't been back since.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom