Barnstorming America, Stories from Pioneers of WBB now available | The Boneyard

Barnstorming America, Stories from Pioneers of WBB now available

Status
Not open for further replies.

AllAmerRedHeads

Barnstorming America author
Reaction Score
Barnstorming America is now available. 200 pages with nearly 200 pictures, most never published. Large coffee table sized hardbound book. 85+ stories right from the players themselves and a few from family members from those that have passed on.

This book became a dream of mine because my Grandmother played basketball during the Depression for the JB Williams Soap Factory in Glastonbury and my family and I became UConn fans back in the fall of 1994.

I wanted to learn how we got from my Grandmothers playing days to Rebecca Lobo and others.

What is in this book is the labor of love from that desire. I hope you may consider it.

I am also willing to do book signings in CT with portion of proceeds going to sponsors charity.

Acclaim Press - Barnstorming America

BarnstormingAmerica_coverQmCL.jpg

What is being said:

"For the first time in history, the stories of basketball’s First Ladies come to life in John Molina’s Barnstorming America... and it is high time we hear their stories and celebrate their victories. Barnstorming America is must-read material for any basketball fan."

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
John is a long time Boneyarder and UConn fan. He has a love of the women's game and has researched its history extensively. I'm pleased to see him issue this book to share all he's learned.

AllAmerRedHeads

Reaction Score
Thank you very much.

Here is a bit of the intro, thought some of you might like to see how this book is tied to Glastonbury and UConn

I grew up in the little farming community of South Glastonbury, Connecticut, where it seemed everyone’s yard shared a boundary with one of the numerous cornfields, sprinkled in with some of the best broadleaf tobacco fields grown this side of Havana.

As a little kid, I spent much time at my grandparents’ house. I was probably like any other little kid growing up in the 1960s. My curiosity meant I had to investigate everywhere I went. Their house was no exception.

I would often go upstairs into their unfinished attic. When I opened the door, it was like walking into the past. Old furniture and mementos from world wars past told stories that were passed along through the family. Yet above an old mahogany bookcase hung a single picture on an unfinished wall with only some insulation between the studs. It was a picture of a women’s basketball team. Not just any women’s basketball team but my grandmother’s basketball team. My grandmother was one of 17 children born to Polish immigrants who would farm the local lands alongside Connecticut River in the early 1900s. Here she was, standing in the second row, tallest of them all, on the J.B.Williams Soap Factory team during the Great Depression. It was pretty cool.

Then, like any other kid, my mind would wander, and I would go on and find something else to investigate and explore.

Over the next 20 years, I would go through high school and a bit of college, as did many others that I grew up with. My days of being young and inquisitive gave way to first relationships, dances, and cars. Yet, I always had a special bond with my grandmother.

By the early ‘90s, I had fallen in love and married my wife, Roxanne. We had three children. My life was on fast forward, as many of us can relate to.I t was during this time my grandmother became very sick and passed. She was the first person who I was so very close to who would die. It struck me hard in my soul. A bit of the innocence of my childhood died that day, as well.

The only thing I really had to remind me of her was that picture hanging on that attic wall from her house.

Later in that fall of 1994, my family and I started watching University of Connecticut women’s basketball games at the suggestion of a friend. I had pretty much given up on sports because it had become too much about the individual and not the team. This game was about team, not the individual. My family became hooked overnight. In the spring of 1995, that UConn team, led by Rebecca Lobo and coached by Geno Auriemma, won the national championship and went undefeated with a record of 35–0.

I thought back to my grandmother and to that black-and-white picture of all those women in their bloomers playing basketball after work during the Depression.

How did we get from my grandmother to Rebecca Lobo?

I realized that I had never asked my grandmother about her playing days.I had missed out on that opportunity, and it was gone forever.

But a desire was born, a desire that could only be filled one way—to search for stories of other women who played basketball and to preserve those stories and share them with others so that what happened to me would not happen to them...

What is in the pages of Barnstorming America, was born from the love I got for the game from UConn and my Grandmother.

Reaction Score
I just preordered from amazon. I'm looking forward to reading it.

AllAmerRedHeads

Reaction Score
Thanks very much.

A major book signing is also going to happen at the Final 4 in Dallas.

Players from a few of these historic teams are all coming together for the first time ever to be a part of this.

All American Red Heads
Southern Belles
Texas Cowgirls
Shooting Stars
Arkansas Gems

and possibly others

It will be a true "A League of Their Own" experience

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Thank you very much.

Here is a bit of the intro, thought some of you might like to see how this book is tied to Glastonbury and UConn

I grew up in the little farming community of South Glastonbury, Connecticut, where it seemed everyone’s yard shared a boundary with one of the numerous cornfields, sprinkled in with some of the best broadleaf tobacco fields grown this side of Havana.

As a little kid, I spent much time at my grandparents’ house. I was probably like any other little kid growing up in the 1960s. My curiosity meant I had to investigate everywhere I went. Their house was no exception.

I would often go upstairs into their unfinished attic. When I opened the door, it was like walking into the past. Old furniture and mementos from world wars past told stories that were passed along through the family. Yet above an old mahogany bookcase hung a single picture on an unfinished wall with only some insulation between the studs. It was a picture of a women’s basketball team. Not just any women’s basketball team but my grandmother’s basketball team. My grandmother was one of 17 children born to Polish immigrants who would farm the local lands alongside Connecticut River in the early 1900s. Here she was, standing in the second row, tallest of them all, on the J.B.Williams Soap Factory team during the Great Depression. It was pretty cool.

Then, like any other kid, my mind would wander, and I would go on and find something else to investigate and explore.

Over the next 20 years, I would go through high school and a bit of college, as did many others that I grew up with. My days of being young and inquisitive gave way to first relationships, dances, and cars. Yet, I always had a special bond with my grandmother.

By the early ‘90s, I had fallen in love and married my wife, Roxanne. We had three children. My life was on fast forward, as many of us can relate to.I t was during this time my grandmother became very sick and passed. She was the first person who I was so very close to who would die. It struck me hard in my soul. A bit of the innocence of my childhood died that day, as well.

The only thing I really had to remind me of her was that picture hanging on that attic wall from her house.

Later in that fall of 1994, my family and I started watching University of Connecticut women’s basketball games at the suggestion of a friend. I had pretty much given up on sports because it had become too much about the individual and not the team. This game was about team, not the individual. My family became hooked overnight. In the spring of 1995, that UConn team, led by Rebecca Lobo and coached by Geno Auriemma, won the national championship and went undefeated with a record of 35–0.

I thought back to my grandmother and to that black-and-white picture of all those women in their bloomers playing basketball after work during the Depression.

How did we get from my grandmother to Rebecca Lobo?

I realized that I had never asked my grandmother about her playing days.I had missed out on that opportunity, and it was gone forever.

But a desire was born, a desire that could only be filled one way—to search for stories of other women who played basketball and to preserve those stories and share them with others so that what happened to me would not happen to them...

What is in the pages of Barnstorming America, was born from the love I got for the game from UConn and my Grandmother.
These women are treasures. Unappreciated ones at that. And so are you and your grandmother who I am sure plays now with the better and best of the angels. Thank you sir.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I just pre-ordered.

AllAmerRedHeads

Reaction Score
I saw the "pre-order" on Amazon about the 15th. The book got in a bit sooner then they planned,

I talked with my publisher. They ship to Amazon 2-3 times a week so, they will have book very soon and will be able to ship.

I hope you will enjoy it. Many of these players are very private people. It was such an honor to have them open up about their past and share some of their lives with others.

The book has what I call 9 mini chapters as well, giving readers a background on the game, what barnstorming is etc.

AllAmerRedHeads

Reaction Score
A bit of sad news. A player in the book has passed away.

Allegra "Stubby" Winters. She started with the Ozark Hill Billies, moved over to the All American Red Heads pre and post WWII before going to the Arkansas Travelers with HOF Hazel Walker. Stubby is on the cover of the book.

She was read her stories in her hospital bed just before she passed and her stories are planned to be read from the book at her funeral.

The first books went out by the publisher and Amazon probably started yesterday.

First review is in (short and to the point):

"I knew the book was going to be good but it is far greater than I even expected." Bob Martin

AllAmerRedHeads

Reaction Score
I have had a couple people ask since the book came out and these are available until December 27th. They ship out directly from the company to you.

Players are wearing this at book signings.

Barnstorming America Tshirts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01