Balls 92 | The Boneyard

Balls 92

Reaction Score
Charles Barkley on LaMelo Ball's defense in 92-point game: 'I have a serious problem with that'

The kid would've never got 92 if I was playing - one warning on basket hanging and then the next lay up will be your last. He, his coach, his father should all be embarrassed about this, it's a truly disgusting display of sportsmanship.

I'm with you on this one. I watched the highlights. Kid didn't even go back on defense for basically the entire second half. He scored 92 points, yet it wasn't even a blowout because his entire team was playing defense. There's a reason why he's #16 in his class and not #1. 15 other players are better than you, kiddo, try playing D if you want a future in this game. There's plenty of lower-tier 5-star recruits who will never play a second in the NBA--we've got one on our team right now.

I do not like the Ball family's attitude towards the game. It epitomizes the ridiculous, stereotypically W. Coast, scoring is all that matters philosophy. I think Lonzo is a really good player, but I don't think he'll be what people think. I'm predicting good, not great.

Flashiness doesn't cut it in the NBA. Bad defense doesn't cut it in the NBA (despite what people think on this board). And that ugly three-point shot is going to get eaten alive by NBA guards. I'll take a quietly dominant Kawhi Leonard, even a bat-stuff crazy Westbrook, over flashy.

You could have 160 points at half time on my team; if you don't get back on defense you ain't playing. That kid needs a good old-fashioned Pitt enforcer to drop him.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
He made it to the network news.

What were your impressions of the Denham Brown game?

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
The 92 point game was horrible for basketball but great for the ball brand. Increasing their national presence is all the Ball family cares about.

Reaction Score
the fact that he scored 93 has a wow factor but the manor in which he scored was not impressive. Cherry picking doesn't show me he's a good player or bad. Just shows me he doesn't get back on defense.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Doesn't this school have a principal?

Reaction Score
I get why the OP is upset here, but I think a good portion of the anger should be directed to Los Osos' coaches, instead of Ball.

While this was a very sad display of basketball (in terms of the lack of any defense played really at either end of the court), you almost have to wonder from watching the full highlight video whether or not this was Chino Hills' game plan. Right from the very beginning of the game, every time Los Osos made a basket, or Chino grabbed a rebound, they looked to throw the full court pass to a seemingly wide open Ball. Yes, it got old very quick, but what was Osos' coach thinking after this play worked the first few times? I saw no adjustments made at all until late in the game where they started double teaming the kid at his own free throw line to contest the long pass.

To me, it seems like Chino Hills fully exploited a gaping hole in Los Osos, and Ball was the sole beneficiary.

Reaction Score
Perhaps this is my "get off my lawn moment," but what the Ball's are doing is an absolute joke. The team literally plays no defense and then keeps someone back to cherrypick. It's embarrassing and as talented as Lonzo is, I'm in the growing camp that he will not be a great player at the next level.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
Well his brother is sitting out the rest of the season waiting for the playoffs...since when has a highschool kid needed to rest for playoffs? Secondly, LaMelo dedicated the performance for a girl in his class with some sort of health problem or something. His teammates were into it. The brother who is sitting out, had a 72 point game. I don't know what to think. At first glance it's epic ball hog mentality esp with the brother having a similar game. If his teammates were into it and he was doing it for someone in need...whatever.

Obviously this Ball family is ridiculous. I'm not worried about them.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
It's insanity -- both programs should be embarrassed.

I coach with a good program in HS ball in NYS, and any game with 146-123 score in HS, something is horribly wrong.

If you score 92 points on almost all layups, and the other team still scores 123 points in what, 32 minutes? Maybe play D rather than a lay up line, you might win 80-65, with 40 points...oh, the horror!

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
I'm with Barkley (for once). Not that anyone should really have a problem with it, I just don't find it that impressive when you hear about these high school kids drop 80, 90, 100 points in a game. Big whoop. Now do it against people playing defense.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It's insanity -- both programs should be embarrassed.
I coach with a good program in HS ball in NYS, and any game with 146-123 score in HS, something is horribly wrong.
If you score 92 points on almost all layups, and the other team still scores 123 points in what, 32 minutes? Maybe play D rather than a lay up line, you might win 80-65, with 40 points..oh, the horror!

On PTI, they said Ball's team was fouling immediately every possession so they could get the ball back without too much time ticking off. Some "tribute".

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
First, I want to say that I wasn't a fan of what transpired in that game... but this is the strategy that Vivek Ranadive the silicon valley billionaire owner of the Sac. Kings wanted his team to try. He wanted to keep one player exclusively on the offensive end of the court. Vlade Divac talked him off the ledge but I wonder this this strategy would work at any level. My guess is the more skilled the players the less it would work. The Kings stink so much they should try it for the heck of it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom