Ball St Postgame Thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Ball St Postgame Thread

Reaction Score
Few Thoughts:
*Have to get used to the fact that this UConn team is different then past years. Shaky defense, streaky offense, shooting the ball too early in the shot clock without running the offense and looking for the best shot, a lot of mistakes (mostly by the Freshman).
*Good to see that the Freshman + Ice, get a lot of minutes. This season outcome will depend on how much they'll grow by March.
*A good game to have before 2 very difficult games that UConn needs to win at least 1 of them, if it is to stay in the top 25 ranking.
*Ashlynn: loved her game tonight. A quick release on the move. Hopefully she can be the outside shooter for UConn (beside Paige) in the big games.
*Paige: an ok game by her. It was good that Geno didn't give her too many minutes.
*AE: a good game. Her first double double of the season. Still making some mistakes that she should not (trying to go to the basket against 3 players, missing layups).
*Aubrey: coming off the bench as a change of pace player is probably the perfect role for her on this team. Real good game. Would love her to shoot when open from mid-range as the other teams will just leave her there and double team on the AE.
*H. Maul was pretty impressive.
*Nika played ok but i think her sister was better in this game.
*KK: every game she shows great potential. Some strange turnover and must develop an outside shot,
*Q: good shooter but makes a lot of freshman mistakes. Hopefully those become less and less as the season progresses.
*Ice: showed some flashes. Should not shoot the 3.
*Amari: Geno clearly gave up on her as a rotation player.
*After the amazing display of defense in the first quarter, what happened the rest of the game?

Reaction Score
Ashlynn is shooting 6-22 from three (27.3%) and 14-18 inside the arc (77.8%) and 20-40 overall (50%)
Paige capable of shooting the mid-range jumper as well as Shade but only if the UConn offense she runs starts inside the 40-foot line. Even when Paige was a Soph, the offense seems to stagnate when it started well outside the key. Not sure if this is a Geno or Paige thing but Paige is tall enough to take 99% of her defenders down low if she gets the ball there.

Reaction Score
Not for nothing, but I just watched Geno’s post game. He sounds a little nuts sometimes. I love him. But he sounds a little nuts. Talk me down.
Geno has probably the most entertaining mix of egotism (required) and self-depreciating humor I have ever seen in a coach. He was right on here. Acknowledging his error in the Texas game, the turmoil of his coaching leadership of the staff (didn't like anything they proposed but had nothing of his own), was classic and relatable. He gave an accurate and useful picture of the complexity of this mix. Freshman & Seniors, brilliant play and crazy (he started to say "stupid" and backed off [for the moment]).

But he is in charge, he is on top of it: that was his underlying message in the post-game. If anybody can do it I will. If I were a player on his team I heard good stuff for moving forward.

Reaction Score
Geno has probably the most entertaining mix of egotism (required) and self-depreciating humor I have ever seen in a coach. He was right on here. Acknowledging his error in the Texas game, the turmoil of his coaching leadership of the staff (didn't like anything they proposed but had nothing of his own), was classic and relatable. He gave an accurate and useful picture of the complexity of this mix. Freshman & Seniors, brilliant play and crazy (he started to say "stupid" and backed off [for the moment]).

But he is in charge, he is on top of it: that was his underlying message in the post-game. If anybody can do it I will. If I were a player on his team I heard good stuff for moving forward.
Not a lineup that will go far in the NCAA's but very entertaining tonight. Kudos to Geno for playing the frosh for many minutes and not taking anyone out even when they made mistakes. When was the last time Geno gave 3-4 frosh significant minutes?

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score

See….there you go. You talked me down. Thank you.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
9DBFC2F0-FDD5-44EF-8EAA-12D1D4901FF3.jpeg

Reaction Score
Some people are worried about Paige, I’m not. She scored 15 on incredibly efficient shooting. She was very selective on when to shoot, and anytime a play was run for her she converted. Tonight was a game for the freshman to get involved. I think everyone agrees it’s important for them to work through game situations.

I actually thought Paige looked really sharp defensively in the third quarter. I found myself really paying attention to her on that end and she had some great denials and steals.

She only played 21 minutes, which is great for our upcoming game against UNC.

Great balanced effort, and a welcomed boost for morale.

Reaction Score
When was the last time Geno gave 3-4 frosh significant minutes?
Often, very very often during Paige's frosh year with Nika and Aaliyah.

The last two years his freshmen have been hurt.
Prior to that normally his teams are stacked. They normally don't have 3 losses after 8 games, rather sometiems he doesn't have 3 losses over three years because he hasn't had to play freshmen this much.

Reaction Score
A few random observations
When u attend the games which I’m fortunate enough to do u see a lot that does not come thru on tv and you can follow a player off the ball

Caroline not on the bench wish her the best!!

Jena Al efy walking effortlessly!!

There was a half time video from re international players from
Dorka
she is a very an amazing young woman
Who impresses me every time I hear her speak

Obviously a great game by
Ms Shade but when you just watch her
Off the ball her constant movement on offense
And energy defensively is very impressive
It’s unusual to find a player with impeccable
Fundamentalls who works incredibly hard
But is also a great athlete Found myself just watching her for a number of possessions
Her stamina was also very obvious
My mid season I suspect she will be a 30-35
Min player

In the third quarter Aubrey seemed to be
Struggling physically seemed to be slow
Getting up the floor and and don’t seem to
Have her normal lift
Certainly had a very good game
Perhaps my observation is erroneous

When you see the five players defensively
While the effort is excellent the lack
Of rotation especially to contest layups
Or get to three point shooters was not there

Teams have scouted and they are not going
To guard Ice Aubrey or Alliyah outside the paint
The shot at the foul line and the elbow was
There the whole game made a few but most
Of the time not looking to take the shot
Especially a problem when 2 bigs in the game
With 2 players sitting in the paint
Not a problem against Ball State but will be
Against better comp

Watched Paige working very hard off the ball
To get open but for whatever reason not getting
A lot of touches
Interestingly out of time out ran a play for her
And got a wide open 3

Lastly re GA at the start of q-3
He sat on the bench looking down at the ground for at least the first two minutes
To me anyway not looking particularly interested in the game.strange

Reaction Score
I'm very happy with tonight's UCONN vs Ball State game!
  • Yes there were mistakes but they played with a joy and smiled a lot!
  • Ashlynn, KK, Ice, and Q overall showed improvement!
  • It's much better to have Aubrey come off the bench!
  • Really enjoyed the Muhl sisters! What a thrill for the family!
  • UCONN is still a work in progress, and will be for a while! But a lot of positives tonight!
  • I'd still like to see Ines get more playing time mid-game than the last 3 minutes!
  • The next 2 games vs NoCar & L'ville are really very important for the team's psyche!

Reaction Score
Geno rolls out his 6th different starting lineup in 8 games, inserting both KK and Ashlynn along with the 3 seniors. A couple thoughts.
  • The small lineup that UConn went with today played with great energy to start the game. Clearly all 3 freshmen are under orders to be AGGRESSIVE on offense. I doubt Geno can go small against everybody. But against a good mid-major team, the small lineup worked well to start off the game.
  • Aubrey has not been giving Geno the production he needs as a starter. The solution, have Aubrey come off the bench where she almost always provides instant energy. Aubrey was exceptionally productive tonight.
  • OK, who had Hanna to outscore her big sister tonight? :cool:
  • Geno used this game to do a lot of mixing and matching while giving all his young players PT. They are making plays, and they are making mistakes. But the most important thing is that they are gaining game experience that will hopefully pay big dividends down the road.
Ash has to start for the rest of the season. She is the only one capable of matching or coming close to Azzi’s production. Her arc shots are improving, her pull up is deadly and she is a very intelligent and athletic defender and rebounder. Watching her in warmups, it is so obvious that her father is a very successful personal trainer. Every warmup exercise is perfectly executed with greater ease than anyone else on the team. She is, IMO, the most important and most advanced Freshman with an ideal wing game. I would start Q at the other spot instead of KK, simply because she also plays so well withou the ball. Whenever KK gets the ball, the half court offense stops moving because everyone knows she is going to dribble penetrate instead of passing. That would work if she was the center of the offense (CC); she’s not. The team played better in the first half when Paige was on the bench because of two incredibly stupid fouls; in the second half, it was the opposite because she was hunting for a spot to shoot instead of a spot where she could dribble. In other words, she was acting like a wing. She remains the team’s best off the ball defender; not only steals but prevents. If she plays that way Sunday, UConn might just get the upset. We need to get used to the fact, though, that we are going to be the underdog in at least five more games; if we lose three of those five, and then don’t win the Big East tournament , the team will not be in Storrs for the first two rounds. Delightful surprise talking to Napheesa in the line at the Gas Station after the game. My snacks were healthier than hers!!!

Reaction Score
I'm very happy with tonight's UCONN vs Ball State game!
  • Yes there were mistakes but they played with a joy and smiled a lot!
  • Ashlynn, KK, Ice, and Q overall showed improvement!
  • It's much better to have Aubrey come off the bench!
  • Really enjoyed the Muhl sisters! What a thrill for the family!
  • UCONN is still a work in progress, and will be for a while! But a lot of positives tonight!
  • I'd still like to see Ines get more playing time mid-game than the last 3 minutes!
  • The next 2 games vs NoCar & L'ville are really very important for the team's psyche!
Whose minutes would you cut to give Ines more time? You do realize that no D1 program recruited her? She was an emergency scholarship; sort of like the two walk ons (Pulido and Lawler). Her legacy will remain the Maryland game; incidentally, we lost, through no fault of hers.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Ash has to start for the rest of the season. She is the only one capable of matching or coming close to Azzi’s production. Her arc shots are improving, her pull up is deadly and she is a very intelligent and athletic defender and rebounder.
I have no quibble with any part of your post so I’m not disagreeing with you. I’m just sitting here smiling because people said the same thing about Qadence after the Maryland game

Reaction Score

Your first sentence perfectly captures the whole presser. Spot on.

Reaction Score
Ashlyn Shade looks Kia Nurse-ish, that's all I'll say about this game. Qadence and Shade are giving KK a run for her money.
I think she has a better shot than Kia ever developed. And don’t really agree on Q. She shoots well when set and when she has plenty of time. Her rushed shots can be way off.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom