Badass Awards for Victory Over Maryland. . . | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Badass Awards for Victory Over Maryland. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We owe Saniya a big debt of gratitude. With Jefferson and then Dangerfield coming in, it would have been easy for her to get discouraged and consider transferring. But, she never quit, kept plugging away through injury and little playing time.

Tonight, she played an excellent game when it was most needed, and I, for one, really appreciate her UCONN loyalty.

Reaction Score
We owe Saniya a big debt of gratitude. With Jefferson and then Dangerfield coming in, it would have been easy for her to get discouraged and consider transferring. But, she never quit, kept plugging away through injury and little playing time.

Tonight, she played an excellent game when it was most needed, and I, for one, really appreciate her UCONN loyalty.
Katie Lou after the game and being asked about playing while not feeling 100%:

"I kind of expected to play the whole time. I wasn't going to miss this."
Only her lunch missed the game.:)

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
. . . go to Katie Lou Samuelson, Gabby Williams, and Kia Nurse.:):):)

Just as Geno told Kara in post-game tv interview.;)

GAME SUMMARY: We had 'em all the way! :D
First off, kudos to you for always posting this thread and generating spirited dialogue! As such, I must respectfully disagree with you (and Geno, what the heck does he know anyway!). My vote is KLS and Soniya!

Reaction Score

I agree, I just wished she would assert herself more on offense and take some of the open shots she gets. More confusing when you think she used to drop 40 a night in HS :)

Reaction Score
What is more Badass than a player playing sick (who even throws up during the game) and somehow guts out such a performance as KLS did in this game?!
While Gabby, Kia and Chong deserve all compliments for their performance, what KLS did in this game is the epitome of Badass in my book...

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I thought that several players were really good tonight.

Gabby did a little of everything. Actually, she did lot of everything.

Kia defended an All-American player in SWK and drilled several big shots.

Saniya reprised her 3-point shot in the last minute by channeling her inner KML. Then she blocked an attempt at the other end a la Maya Moore. Saniya is playing really good ball.

But I think the best was Lou. It's a matter of buckets. Anyone who nails key buckets all night long after puking in a bucket gets a special award.

blue-plastic-bucket-9-litre-w1280h1024q90i2644.jpg

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
I love Saniya, but without Lou UCONN doesn't win the game.
Answer after answer outta that kid tonight! While sick.
That's beyond BADASS in my book! ;)

I take nothing away from Katie Lou, but remember we only won by 6 points. That means that without ANY OF THE STARTING FIRVE,
we don't win the game.

Reaction Score
IMO, Saniya gets the nod for performing above and beyond expectations, once again Shredding the Turtles. On a night where Danger just didn't have it, Tommy came out HUGE, running the offense, being ENORMOUSLY disruptive on defense, and sticking that dagger into the Turtle's side and twisting it. 35 minutes, 3-5 for 10 points, 5 assists, a GabZilla-esque block, and ZERO TURNOVERS. I'd bet that when Coach Frese hit the pillow last night, Saniya's alter-ego was waiting in her dreams:

tmnt_shredder.png

Lou gets a special nod for having carved a spot in UConn lore forever; I don't recall one of the players booting during a game, and certainly not doing so and then carving up the opponent. VERY impressive.

And NONE of that is meant to take away what Pheesa, GabZilla, and Nurse did. Saniya and Lou were EXTRA special.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I'm with on Gabby's domination.

I saw the game and swear Gabby had more than the 2 steals that the box score says. Seemed like 4 to me.
Yes, and hard to believe she didn't have more than 9 rebounds, too.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
I have been a Saniya supporter since she was in HS. She and Kia and Gabby played their usual rock-solid games. But I would have to support Lou's performance last night as not only badass of the game, but of the season (so far at least). If I understand it correctly, "badass" is NOT the same as MOP; it has to do with guts, overcoming adversity, and just generally demoralizing the opposition. That is our Katy Lou last night. To my way of thinking, Jordan and Bird were MOPs; Laimbeer and Stockton were badasses.

Siestakeyfan

Sailing at Block Island Race Week
Reaction Score
Saniya for her huge 3 and block - without her, we might have been tied and headed into a dreaded OT situation. A HUGE difference maker for this team tonight, and she has more than earned her spot in the starting lineup. It's so great to have her back and healthy, and I can't wait to see how she does throughout the rest of the season. I'm hoping we get to see her have a 20+ point game in conference play!

Katie for her grit alone. She threw up during the first quarter and so often looked green throughout the entire game. Geno didn't even know if she would play. But when she hid her stride, she was lights out. Those 3s were major for us. 23 points. Absolutely incredible. And to do it while sick too! That's a team player. That's a player with passion, grit, and drive.

Kia came through in a big way. 19 points and 4 3's that were difference makers. When posters were curious to see if she would step up her offensive game when shots weren't falling, she did. She does it quietly in a way, but had she not come through, it could have been a different situation. A fierce leader for this team. Everyone needs a good Nurse in their life!

Gabby is never shabby. 9 rebounds. 16 points. 4 fouls and she didn't foul out. She really gets my vote for most improved player already. I'm at a loss for words on Gabby, because she's shown up and shown out in such a huge way this year and in ways that I honestly was not expecting. She played a great game tonight and should be rewarded for that.

We're spoiled as fans, guys! What a great team, and what a great win.

All I have to Contribute IS -- WOW !!!! Lou AND these UCONN ladies this year are are setting a HIGH standard or others to aspire to !!!!

Reaction Score
I think with all of the advance press (some from here) about Chong not starting and the complete game she played and the toughness she showed, my vote goes to her. The others you expect what we got (special gold star to Lou for her grit) but not from Chong. Brenda is seeing Saniya hitting a three pointer in her dreams/nightmares.

Siestakeyfan

Sailing at Block Island Race Week
Reaction Score
That's what makes this team so tough, and so much fun to watch. They are unpredictable - not just in the sense of youth, assuming new roles & responsibilities, inconsistency - but, in the sense that, anyone of half-a-dozen players can have a serious impact in any given game, certainly for a half or a quarter. There may be a "script" for this squad to follow, but, if there is, it allows for a lot of ad lib and extemporaneous performance. Watching a great UConn squad, like last year, is a bit like watching Shakespeare performed by a great troupe of veteran actors - you know the story, you know the ending, but you admire the smooth high-level of the performance. This year, it's a bit like watching high-level improv comedy. You're not quite sure what's coming next, whether you'll groan or roar, but, man, you're on your toes paying very close attention. And, it's a lot of fun!

Now this is a POST of Pleasurable REALITY An ENJOYABLE, EXCITING, HARD Working, Incredibly well coached, FUN to watch team !! 192 Grad

Reaction Score
This one has to be a team award. I know it was set up as an individual award and certainly there were some great performances, but this one was with out a doubt a team victory. What I see in this UConn team as a group that is greater than the sum of its parts. It seems that everyone on this team takes responsibility for the result and none of them are afraid of the moment when it presents itself. Saniya showed that tonight. When they needed her to be steady, she played with the most confidence and poise I have ever seen from her. She wasn't flashy, but she went about her business and scored when she needed to, stopping Maryland runs in both the first and second halves. Kia kept us ahead in the first half and Lou kept us ahead in the second half. That 14-0 run to start the second half was pure beauty, eh? I didn't realize she was sick until after the game (was on the other end of the floor from the UConn bench so didn't see the visit to the barf bucket). The way she was manhandled going across the base of the key when she was moving away from the ball, I suspect three Maryland players will be visiting the porcelain convenience later this week if Lou is in the contagious stage of what is ailing her. The others made their contributions as well. Maryland tried several times to climb the mountain, but they couldn't get over the hump. Every time they got close, this group pushed the peak up the hill just that little extra to stay on top. They just refuse to lose. As my wife put is so eloquently, there is a reason why they have won 87 games in a row.

Give Maryland credit. They pushed the Huskies to the limit and when they could have folded like a cheap tent in the third quarter they stayed with their game plan and made a heck of a run. Of course it helped that with Gabby and Napheesa in foul trouble, there wasn't a whole lot that could be done to stop the inside game. Natalie wasn't quick enough to handle their wing player without help defense that couldn't be provided with the foul trouble UConn had to deal with. They have some really good players and will be a thorn in the side of many teams for years to come.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
A lot of players could be the BA Award winner.
I vote it to all who played.
Take anyone of them out and its different.
This team has guts.

I am replying to my own post(no I haven't been drinking)
Last night was the first game of the season that all 5 starters scored in Double figures in a game. Don't forget UConn scored 98 vs Dayton and 91 vs DePaul, yet the starting 5 didn't duplicate the results in last nights game.
Williams - 16, Collier - 12, Nurse - 19, Chong - 10, and Lou 23. The bench scored 7 points Crystal 3 Natalie 4.

IMO, this was a team Bad Ass Award.

Just an additional note---Last years team had 3 games where the starters all scored in Double figures. The OSU game, the game vs Cincinnati and the first round NCAA game vs Robert Morris.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I love Saniya the TURTLE SLAYER, but shooting lights out in the 2nd half while puking her guts out seems to me to be the very definition of BADASS. So Lou gets my vote.
My thoughts exactly.

Yes, there was a lot of badass play by the Huskies, but given what Lou had to overcome just to play, let alone score 23, to me there is no question the award should go to her!

Reaction Score
This one has to be a team award. I know it was set up as an individual award and certainly there were some great performances, but this one was with out a doubt a team victory. What I see in this UConn team is a group that is greater than the sum of its parts. It seems that everyone on this team takes responsibility for the result and none of them are afraid of the moment when it presents itself. Saniya showed that tonight. When they needed her to be steady, she played with the most confidence and poise I have seen from her in a long time, if ever. She wasn't flashy, but she went about her business and scored when she needed to, stopping Maryland runs in both the first and second halves. Kia kept us ahead in the first half and Lou kept us ahead in the second half. That 14-0 run to start the second half was beautiful to watch. I didn't realize Lou was sick until after the game (was on the other end of the floor from the UConn bench so didn't see the visit to the barf bucket). The way she was manhandled going across the base of the key when she was moving away from the ball, I suspect three Maryland players will be visiting the porcelain convenience later this week if Lou is in the contagious stage of what is ailing her. The others made their contributions as well. Maryland tried several times to climb the mountain, but they couldn't get over the hump. Every time they got close, this group pushed the peak just that little extra to stay on top. They just don't get rattled and refuse to lose. As my wife put it so eloquently, "I can see why they have won 87 games in a row, and they are even more impressive seeing them in person."

Give Maryland credit. They pushed the Huskies to the limit and when they could have folded like a cheap tent in the third quarter they stayed with their game plan and made a heck of a run. Of course it helped that with Gabby and Napheesa in foul trouble, there wasn't a whole lot that could be done to stop the inside game. Natalie wasn't quick enough to handle their wing players without help defense that couldn't be provided with the foul trouble UConn had to deal with. They have some really good players and will be a thorn in the side of many teams for the next several years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom