Badass Awards for UConn vs. Kansas State. . . | The Boneyard

Badass Awards for UConn vs. Kansas State. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Not to disparage Pheesa
I thought it was the quietest 22 points, I've just about ever seen.
And she was open on the elbow all afternoon and made some ill-advised passes instead.
Bet she doesn't do that again.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
. . . go to Katie Lou Samuelson and Napheesa Collier.:):):):):)
Easy call-huge game, especially for those two. KLS is making her case for WBCA AA...or at least inching towards it.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Not to disparage Pheesa

And she was open on the elbow all afternoon and made some ill-advised passes instead.

In addition to her quiet 22 points, she had some noisy stats: 8 rebounds, 6 assists and 5 steals. Were you not paying attention?:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Not to disparage Pheesa
So agree! Some people see the stat sheet and judge this person played well and this person stunk and yet the reality is SOMETIMES quite different. Despite a high shooting percentage and a nice amount of points, I had the impression it was less than a stellar performance for Napheesa!

Reaction Score
In addition to her quiet 22 points, she had some noisy stats: 8 rebounds, 6 assists and 5 steals. Were you not paying attention?:rolleyes:
Sometimes the official scorer is a bit generous and insofar as rebounds occasionally you might be completely out of position or whatever and a round ball takes some crazy bounces and it ends up in your hands. Napheesa is exceptional and we're lucky to have her and everyone here knows that but numbers don't always speak for what happens on the court.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
The Wonder Twins do it again, what was Mittie thinking zoning Connecticut? He should have watched more film, he would have seen that the Wonder Twins are too good inside/outside. 5'11' Gabby Williams defending a 6'5" All-Big 12 Center for most of the game is the epitome of Badassery.....

Reaction Score
So agree! Some people see the stat sheet and judge this person played well and this person stunk and yet the reality is SOMETIMES quite different. Despite a high shooting percentage and a nice amount of points, I had the impression it was less than a stellar performance for Napheesa!
Hi Buzzboy...just checking to see if we were watching the same game and player. Napheesa is the 6'1" forward with the baby face and wears # 24. That Napheesa played a great game.

Reaction Score
I thought the team played great through the obvious tiredness and terrible calls. The refs really deserve a badass for tilting this one to the home team.

Reaction Score
A win is a win, and being up over 20 demonstrated that the Huskies are wonderfully capable of runs in packed, hostile houses. They looked tired, as we might expect, and we missed more chippies than usual. Gabby finally gave herself permission to drive successfully to the rim, ending her exclusive role as a facilitator. We continue to grow individually and collectively. Chong's injury, Crystal's concussion, and Gabby's throat chop shed light on our vulnerability as teams have been given permission to play roughly in the paint, really going after Lou who doesn't get near the basket without a bruise.

Reaction Score
???
Don't understand what you are talking. Am I missing something?

Reaction Score
I thought Napheesa(as well as the others) played a good game but she and some of the others looked tired/gassed. They need a break. They are logging a lot of minutes. Once they get to January(and the brunt of the AAC schedule) Geno should be able to work more of the bench in towards the end of games as the competition most weeks should drop off a bit. There are a couple good teams in the AAC but for the most part UConn's conference games should be over by halftime. They will need fresh legs come March because lets face it, there aren't many in the first place. That bench is short.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I think Lou should get the award alone. While Naphessa played a nice consistent game and she definitely hits the open shots, Lou took the heart out of KS with Bad Ass shooting, All other players played well but not out of the ordinary.

Reaction Score
If the players were so tired, was it really necessary for most of the starter to play that many minutes today ? Was the game really ever in doubt despite only 17 points MOV.

ocoandasoc

Fan of MizzoUConn
Reaction Score
If the players were so tired, was it really necessary for most of the starter to play that many minutes today ? Was the game really ever in doubt despite only 17 points MOV.

Take away the first quarter and the game played even. That's not to say that UConn couldn't have turned it on if they had to, but K State is a pretty good team. If KLS hadn't busted their zone in the first quarter, things might have played out a lot closer.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Not to disparage Pheesa
She was suffering neck spasms during the game.

Reaction Score
Take away the first quarter and the game played even. That's not to say that UConn couldn't have turned it on if they had to, but K State is a pretty good team. If KLS hadn't busted their zone in the first quarter, things might have played out a lot closer.

But most of the starters were still playing almost to the end when the game was never in doubt. Why not let some of the younger players or even Butler get some time to learn in game condition.

Reaction Score
I'd like to give a shoutout to Katie (and by extension, Kia) for playing a full 40 minutes against ND only to turn around and play 39 (according to ESPN boxscore) against K-State. Katie is, without a doubt, a true Badass this week. That's determination and endurance despite running on fumes with everything going on in their lives (meaning the exhaustion following the ND game, finals, and travel).

Napheesa was also quite the badass, playing the way she did with neck spasms! It wasn't pretty all the time, but I personally thought she had a good game with the numbers she put up. She was very quiet and didn't quite play like herself, but the numbers she posted and the game she played were - for the most part, in my opinion - good.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
5 players over 30 minutes each, with Geno using only a 6 player rotation with Nat to try to buy a few minutes of rest for Gabby & Pheesa. I thought Gabby looked like she had tired legs, particularly on her jump shot.

A win is a win. I am sure they'll be ready to go against the Buckeyes.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
She was suffering neck spasms during the game.

I heard....saw something, couldn't tell what...seemed a little hesitant, unlike her.
That's the explanation.

Reaction Score
Here's what Mechelle Voepel had to say about Napheesa's game: "Despite dealing with some neck spasms, she had 22 points, eight rebounds, four assists, six steals and five blocked shots. Oh, and she shot 10 of 15 from the field. (Good grief, imagine the game she could have had without neck spasms).":);)

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
A win is a win, and being up over 20 demonstrated that the Huskies are wonderfully capable of runs in packed, hostile houses. They looked tired, as we might expect, and we missed more chippies than usual. Gabby finally gave herself permission to drive successfully to the rim, ending her exclusive role as a facilitator. We continue to grow individually and collectively. Chong's injury, Crystal's concussion, and Gabby's throat chop shed light on our vulnerability as teams have been given permission to play roughly in the paint, really going after Lou who doesn't get near the basket without a bruise.

The team will now enjoy 7 whole days without having to play a basketball game. This rest period could not come at a better time. Several of the girls are nicked up, and need some TLC from the training staff, and some rest at home. They'll be ready when Ohio State comes a calling on Monday Dec 19 at the XL Center.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom