Badass Awards for UConn vs. Kansas State. . . | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Badass Awards for UConn vs. Kansas State. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Here's what Mechelle Voepel had to say about Napheesa's game: "Despite dealing with some neck spasms, she had 22 points, eight rebounds, four assists, six steals and five blocked shots. Oh, and she shot 10 of 15 from the field. :);)

All that plus One Boneyard Badass Award.:);)

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Captain Kirk and Huskee11 vote for Lou!
badass.jpg

Reaction Score
Hi Buzzboy...just checking to see if we were watching the same game and player. Napheesa is the 6'1" forward with the baby face and wears # 24. That Napheesa played a great game.
Oh! That Naphessa, 24 karat Naphessa, she played like pure gold.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
BTW, KLS is flirting with 20 PPG, which if maintained will almost certainly get her WBCA recognition and a spot on the HoH Wall. I wouldn't call her a mortal lock to make the wall, but I'd be surprised if she didn't.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The team will now enjoy 7 whole days without having to play a basketball game. This rest period could not come at a better time. Several of the girls are nicked up, and need some TLC from the training staff, and some rest at home. They'll be ready when Ohio State comes a calling on Monday Dec 19 at the XL Center.
Yeah, but you know what they say ... they look forward to game days because they are so much easier than practice days! :cool:

(I think they probably have a few days off with just some physio and weight room, then a couple of light practices, before cranking it back up at the end of the week.)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
BTW, KLS is flirting with 20 PPG, which if maintained will almost certainly get her WBCA recognition and a spot on the HoH Wall. I wouldn't call her a mortal lock to make the wall, but I'd be surprised if she didn't.
20 ppg is a noteworthy threshold at UConn.

Stewie's high-water mark was 19.4 ppg as a sophomore and a senior.

Tina's NPOY year was at 18.2 ppg.

The great Maya Moore averaged 17.8, 19.3, 18.9, and 22.8 for each of her 4 seasons. Her 22.8 mark is the highest in over 20 years.

Through 9 games, Pheesa is averaging 19.4 ppg, and Lou is at 19.8 ppg. That's Stewie/Maya/Tina territory.

Reaction Score
I think Lou should get the award alone. While Naphessa played a nice consistent game and she definitely hits the open shots, Lou took the heart out of KS with Bad Ass shooting, All other players played well but not out of the ordinary.
If playing out of the ordinary were the criterion for Badass honors, then consistently great players (eg. Maya) would hardly have ever been worthy. Napheesa has been the most consistent star on UConn this year. She is by far the field goal % leader, and has had more blocked shots than the rest of the team combined. She is a very close 2nd in PPG and steals. Her performance was amazing, and she played on a First Team AA level against K-State: 10 for 15 shooting, 22 points, 8 rebounds, 6 assists, 5 steals against a good team. There have been many NPOY recipients who could not match those numbers.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
If playing out of the ordinary were the criterion for Badass honors, then consistently great players (eg. Maya) would hardly have ever been worthy. Napheesa has been the most consistent star on UConn this year. She is by far the field goal % leader, and has had more blocked shots than the rest of the team combined. She is a very close 2nd in PPG and steals. Her performance was amazing, and she played on a First Team AA level against K-State: 10 for 15 shooting, 22 points, 8 rebounds, 6 assists, 5 steals against a good team. There have been many NPOY recipients who could not match those numbers.

Very true, and it is not an accident that she leads the team in number of game Badass awards so far this season. (And Stewie last season.):)

I'll post updated Badass score card later today.;)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Here's what Mechelle Voepel had to say about Napheesa's game: "Despite dealing with some neck spasms, she had 22 points, eight rebounds, four assists, six steals and five blocked shots. Oh, and she shot 10 of 15 from the field. (Good grief, imagine the game she could have had without neck spasms).":);)
Yea, Napheesa got to pick it up alright! :eek: That 10 for 15 shooting actually brought her FG% down for the season!

Reaction Score
Gabby may not always put up the number of points that Lou and Pheesa do; however, she's mostly assigned to much much bigger people to guard. That is extremely difficult to do. Way to go, Gabby. GO Huskies! Woof!

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
This is a very badass team.
Hey folks, they keep on winning...like an Energizer Bunny

Fouls: no problem
Injuries: play through
Short Bench: some one steps up.

It's been a remarkable saga for a group no one really, realistically, thought could go this far
Yet here they are: beat up, undermanned, with a nutty traveling schedule....back and forth across the country.

Still going, still winning...somehow.

We shouldn't really expect to go all the way...but they might.

Badass award to the whole team.

Reaction Score
Not the pretty kind of game we normally see from UConn. Seemed like there were alot of mental errors. Kids definitely get a pass however.... we're not talking Stewart, Tuck, and Jefferson after all. Generally so far this season they're doing great. Loved watching Gabby and Napheesa battle that KSU post stud....... she was very, very good.
The kids are playing their roles! Collier is the best overall player with Williams right behind her. Then comes KLS and Kia. In lauding KLS at this point ask yourselves this: In a game of 1 on 1 to 50 baskets who would win? Id say NC or GW. I'd bet they would both smoke KLS. I'd love to see KLS round out her game by playing defense...... she's way down the list on rebounds, steals and blocks but she can obviously shoot lights out. A former UC player tells me she just thinks KLS is slow. KLS's got about 2.7 years left. I'm rooting for her.
OSU and MD next.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I'd love to see KLS round out her game by playing defense. she's way down the list on rebounds, steals and blocks but she can obviously shoot lights out. A former UC player tells me she just thinks KLS is slow. KLS's got about 2.7 years left. I'm rooting for her.

To paraphrase and update the response by Jim Brown (arguably the greatest NFL running back), when he was criticized for not blocking well:

"All Pavarotti could do was sing."

Reaction Score
Not the pretty kind of game we normally see from UConn. Seemed like there were alot of mental errors. Kids definitely get a pass however.... we're not talking Stewart, Tuck, and Jefferson after all. Generally so far this season they're doing great. Loved watching Gabby and Napheesa battle that KSU post stud.. she was very, very good.
The kids are playing their roles! Collier is the best overall player with Williams right behind her. Then comes KLS and Kia. In lauding KLS at this point ask yourselves this: In a game of 1 on 1 to 50 baskets who would win? Id say NC or GW. I'd bet they would both smoke KLS. I'd love to see KLS round out her game by playing defense. she's way down the list on rebounds, steals and blocks but she can obviously shoot lights out. A former UC player tells me she just thinks KLS is slow. KLS's got about 2.7 years left. I'm rooting for her.
OSU and MD next.

You need to grow up and stop ripping on one player to forward your own agenda, pathetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom