Bad Times at Central | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Bad Times at Central

Reaction Score
Clearly they should petition to take back all the money UConn is sucking from all the in-state universities. They need to do everything they can to get into the CAA and continue their athletics. I hate the idea of having them fall to d3 due to budget constraints when UConn takes the majority of the pot spending like their a P5 when they’re not. CCSU is getting screwed.l in everyway possible and no one could care less on this board. They won their conference last year in football and are making a comeback in basketball with no Athletic Director. They should be appplauded and not die starving.

Reaction Score
Clearly they should petition to take back all the money UConn is sucking from all the in-state universities. They need to do everything they can to get into the CAA and continue their athletics. I hate the idea of having them fall to d3 due to budget constraints when UConn takes the majority of the pot spending like their a P5 when they’re not. CCSU is getting screwed.l in everyway possible and no one could care less on this board. They won their conference last year in football and are making a comeback in basketball with no Athletic Director. They should be appplauded and not die starving.

Here are the CCSU athletic attendance stats:
Football 2,945
Men's basketball 1,424
Women's basketball 884

In both men's and women's basketball, the Northeast Conference has the lowest average attendance of all 32 Division 1 conferences. In football, the Northeast Conference has the lowest average attendance of all 13 NCAA FCS conferences.

The reality is that CCSU, like most Northeast Conference schools, is struggling to be a competitive Division 1 athletic program as they don't have the fan support.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Football 2,945
Men's basketball 1,424
Women's basketball 884

In both men's and women's basketball, the Northeast Conference has the lowest average attendance of all 32 Division 1 conferences. In football, the Northeast Conference has the lowest average attendance of all 13 NCAA FCS conferences.

The reality is that CCSU, like most Northeast Conference schools, is struggling to be a competitive Division 1 athletic program as they don't have the fan support.
Bingo. Let's focus our resources on the school that actually has fans:UConn.

Reaction Score
I was told by someone once that women's golf scholarships are the most unused scholarships in the country. I'm not sure if this is true or if he was just goofing with me but if you have a daughter who can swing a club it wouldn't hurt to research it.
My kids are pointing my granddaughter to hockey. Played golf with a few hockey players so she might be able to fake it. She’s only 3, so time to bend her attitude.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
My kids are pointing my granddaughter to hockey. Played golf with a few hockey players so she might be able to fake it. She’s only 3, so time to bend her attitude.

Thoughts and prayers.

Most expensive combined with the most travel and the earliest wake up calls.

Reaction Score
I agree. All the state publics bar Uconn shouldn't have sports as they are commuter schools. It would save a lot of money and it's not like Central is getting a lot of notoriety for its sports.

CCSU has 12k+ students and more than 5k on campus.

This is why no one likes UConn - you have squandered millions of state funds on FBS football, facilities and coaches salaries and now have nothing to show for it - as you are in a league with East Carolina!

Central Connecticut is no different than Towson, yet Marland can keep the Terps and find the $$ for the Tigers (as well as UMBC).

When you are playing in front of 12k at the Rent and 6k at the Civic Center, don't bather asking for State funds - it is a waste of taxpayer dollars!

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

This is why no one likes UConn - you have squandered millions of state funds on FBS football, facilities and coaches salaries and now have nothing to show for it - as you are in a league with East Carolina!

Central Connecticut is no different than Towson, yet Marland can keep the Terps and find the $$ for the Tigers (as well as UMBC).

When you are playing in front of 12k at the Rent and 6k at the Civic Center, don't bather asking for State funds - it is a waste of taxpayer dollars!

Not sure this post puts the most positive light on the CSU flagship...

Reaction Score
It's free advertising for D-1 schools who play major football or make the NCAA tournament every once in a while. Central falls in neither category, and most kids that go to Central either are Uconn fans or don't care about college sports.

I assure you that is 100% not the case. If you think kids at CCSU really care about UConn athletics, you have no clue. You are just another tool who thinks UConn is the State's professional team and should be subsided by taxpayers.

shizzle787

Reaction Score

I question having a football team. The basketball team actually made a profit last year though. However, 60% of your students living off campus is the definition of a commuter school. For comparison, about half of the kids who go to the University of Minnesota live off campus and it is considered a commuter school, but it is also the only D-1 school in that state.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
I assure you that is 100% not the case. If you think kids at CCSU really care about UConn athletics, you have no clue. You are just another tool who thinks UConn is the State's professional team and should be subsided by taxpayers.
I know plenty of Central people: they don't care about Central sports at All, and most that are into sports like UConn.

Reaction Score
Bingo. Let's focus our resources on the school that actually has fans:UConn.

Try UConn athletics without a massive $31 million subsidy.

The UConn Faculty report on athletics has all the facts we need to shut down Husky football:
- Only one of UConn’s sports teams—men’s basketball—receives sufficient direct revenues to cover its costs.
- Despite the outstanding achievements made by the women’s basketball team during the period of analysis, the low revenues for women’s sports compared to men’s, resulted in the team being subsidized.
- UConn’s football team was the team with the largest deficit in absolute dollar terms, requiring a subsidy of $7.5 million for 2014.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
Try UConn athletics without a massive $31 million subsidy.

The UConn Faculty report on athletics has all the facts we need to shut down Husky football:
- Only one of UConn’s sports teams—men’s basketball—receives sufficient direct revenues to cover its costs.
- Despite the outstanding achievements made by the women’s basketball team during the period of analysis, the low revenues for women’s sports compared to men’s, resulted in the team being subsidized.
- UConn’s football team was the team with the largest deficit in absolute dollar terms, requiring a subsidy of $7.5 million for 2014.
You do realize that without the football team, we wouldn't get our 9 million a year radio deal so football effectively is in the black. Also, I've been leading the charge for UConn to drop sports like men's golf and tennis.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You do realize that without the football team, we wouldn't get our 9 million a year radio deal so football effectively is in the black. Also, I've been leading the charge for UConn to drop sports like men's golf and tennis.

He is quoting the UConn student government report.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
He is quoting the UConn student government report.
Believe it or not it's accurate, but it doesn't account for the radio deal or marketing potential.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
First of all, as someone who played on the golf team at UConn...

2. They had no scholarships when I was there, I'm sure they do today, but I believe at least some of them are endowed.

3. The golf season has two parts, fall and spring, so it's more than just a one month season as you imply.

4. Why draw the line at golf? Beyond hoops, do you think any sports at UConn are moneymakers?? The 4 or 5 golf scholarships pale in comparison to the # of soccer, field hockey, etc scholarships that are given for sports that lost a hell of a lot more money than golf does.

But this is the Boneyard, why would I expect anyone to bring facts to an argument here??

The fact it's in two semesters isn't exactly a plus for it. Here is a scholarship to do everything but be on campus doing academic things.

The staff and coaches salaries are endowed? Is the travel endowed?

Don't worry I'd take out plenty of programs if it was my call. Golf just came up because Central killed it and it's especially stupid to send people to Hawaii and Arizona. At least the cross country team can run in the woods locally.

Reaction Score
I know plenty of Central people: they don't care about Central sports at All, and most that are into sports like UConn.

So how many Central students do you think watched tonights' 28-point loss at Temple? :)

Reaction Score
Football 2,945
Men's basketball 1,424
Women's basketball 884

To be fair... their attendance on average every year is the highest average attendance in their conference. Which says they don’t belong there.

Look I get they aren’t attractive and the flagship U but just for fun go take a look at the average attendance at the other schools in the state. I know CCSU is getting the second most attraction in the state, they deserve more funding - not split the share of the left overs.

What makes college athletics awesome is the fact that CCSU is around. It’s always epic when schools like CCSU make the big dance in March or make the FCS playoffs like that did, ohhhh idk when was that again, oh right, 2017. They got virtually no support from the media. You shot them down for fan support when it’s the media attention they are truly lacking. They literally just competed in the FCS NCAA tournament for football and don’t deserve to get brushed under the carpet

Reaction Score
So how many Central students do you think watched tonights' 28-point loss at Temple? :)

Fun Fact: Austin316 transferred from UConn to CCSU... not the other way around.

I worked while commuting to UConn-Stamford for my first year. The satellite schools are a nice lucrative scheme they have going for them. Ultimately hated the commute and atmosphere, just not for me.

Absolutely loved CCSU. Met some of the hardest working people I will ever meet there. The UConn atmosphere gave off too much of a sense of entitlement. I gambled on CCSU and it paid off immediately.

I attended every possible game I could at CCSU. I drank every possible beer I could drink on that walk down Paul Manafort Drive up to Arute field and Kaiser Gymnasium. I painted my face. I screamed at the top of my lungs. And wouldn’t take a single second back.

Sure, I love UConn men and w basketball and football... but that is because I was raised to. Austin316 will always be a CCSU blue devil, not a UConn husky.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom