Bad game plan and no adjustments against Maryland | The Boneyard

Bad game plan and no adjustments against Maryland

Reaction Score
It's been a long time since I posted, but felt compelled to do so today.

Knowing going into the game that Maryland had the defensive player of the year and seeing early on they were double and triple teaming Bouknight, Hurley's offensive game plan was clearly flawed.

Note that I like him as our coach and like JC, he'll learn and improve with experience.

At some point they should have spread the floor and used Bouknight in a way to draw defenders to get better looks for the other 4 on the floor. Not saying that he shouldn't have looked for his offensive. But trying to create off the dribble compared to running him through double and triple screens at times would have been better than giving him the ball and create against MD's help D.

For those who watched the Bama game, they spread the floor limiting the Terps ability to swarm the ball.

I give MD a lot of credit for playing some suffocating help D against us.

Also Bama can flat out shoot the hell out of the ball, especially from deep. They have a lot of scorers and can do things UConn can't do or at least do consistently.

Lastly, UConn missed so many shots at the rim especially in the first half and left too many points at the line. They played very good D, but had a few bad lapses, one late one off an unbound play. Even with what I consider a poor offensive game plan, they could have won that game if they executed better. They certainly out rebounded the Terps, but took little advantage of those offensive rebounds.

Disappointing ending to the season and likely the last game we'll get to see Bouknight and his creative and excitement game in a UConn uniform.

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
I'm going to carve my eyes out with a spoon if I have to read one more syllable about the game. Especially when everyone is saying the same thing.

Reaction Score
Change it up and speak in bromides....

And the winds and the waves are always on the side of the ablest navigators.

Reaction Score
For those who watched the Bama game, they spread the floor limiting the Terps ability to swarm the ball.

Also Bama can flat out shoot the hell out of the ball, especially from deep. They have a lot of scorers and can do things UConn can't do or at least do consistently.

I think that's the crux of the matter. Spreading the floor is a great strategy if you can shoot the ball well, but I don't think we're a particularly good shooting team. We exceled when we played suffocating defense, can move the ball into transition and drive before the defense is set.

Which is not to say that I don't think we should've tried it, but I am not convinced it would've mattered.

Reaction Score
When DM posts - we listen. End of story. He’s an OG.
Thanks, HH! I just had to let it out. Not surprised if many had the same observations. I just hope people have patience with Hurley. It took some gut wrenching tournament losses in the early and mid 90s, before JC started winning his multiple NCs. I have many fading bad memories such as not guarding the inbounder with 1 second on the clock and up by 1. Let's see what Hurley learns from this.

I would have liked to have watched one more tournament game. If we got by MD, I think it would have been really ugly for us against Bama. I must admit, I didn't watch a lot of college hoops other than UConn this year. I thought the talent was somewhat spread out and closely bunched, but after seeing teams like Bama and the Zags perform in the tourney this year, it is evident that a few not only are very well coached, but are full of skilled and talented players. We have Bouknight. Some of these teams can put multiple highly skilled players on the floor at once. I hope we get back to that level sometime soon.

We have a lot of good players, some who will get better and more consistent next year. Cole and Martin will be back. Their ceilings might not be much higher...I might be proven wrong on that...but they'll likely be more consistent being mature upperclassmen.

Sanogo and Jackson have high ceilings to be realized and Gaffney showed a spike in improvement the last few weeks of the season.

I wish Bouknight would return, which I doubt will happen...hope I'm wrong...and if so, along with the talented recruits being added, this team could be talented enough to make a deep March run.

They have a lot of nice pieces, where if they can out will and play with sustained intensity like UConn teams of the past, they could beat teams that have better overall takent.

I think the future is bright if Hurley continues to improve the talent which seems to be the case with the 2 most current recruiting classes and learns to game plan better and make improved in game adjustments.

Reaction Score
It's been a long time since I posted, but felt compelled to do so today.

Knowing going into the game that Maryland had the defensive player of the year and seeing early on they were double and triple teaming Bouknight, Hurley's offensive game plan was clearly flawed.

Note that I like him as our coach and like JC, he'll learn and improve with experience.

At some point they should have spread the floor and used Bouknight in a way to draw defenders to get better looks for the other 4 on the floor. Not saying that he shouldn't have looked for his offensive. But trying to create off the dribble compared to running him through double and triple screens at times would have been better than giving him the ball and create against MD's help D.

Lastly, UConn missed so many shots at the rim especially in the first half and left too many points at the line. They played very good D, but had a few bad lapses, one late one off an unbound play. Even with what I consider a poor offensive game plan, they could have won that game if they executed better. They certainly out rebounded the Terps, but took little advantage of those offensive rebounds.

Disappointing ending to the season and likely the last game we'll get to see Bouknight and his creative and excitement game in a UConn uniform.
Best analysis I've seen.

Reaction Score
Thanks, HH! I just had to let it out. Not surprised if many had the same observations. I just hope people have patience with Hurley. It took some gut wrenching tournament losses in the early and mid 90s, before JC started winning his multiple NCs. I have many fading bad memories such as not guarding the inbounder with 1 second on the clock and up by 1. Let's see what Hurley learns from this.

I would have liked to have watched one more tournament game. If we got by MD, I think it would have been really ugly for us against Bama. I must admit, I didn't watch a lot of college hoops other than UConn this year. I thought the talent was somewhat spread out and closely bunched, but after seeing teams like Bama and the Zags perform in the tourney this year, it is evident that a few not only are very well coached, but are full of skilled and talented players. We have Bouknight. Some of these teams can put multiple highly skilled players on the floor at once. I hope we get back to that level sometime soon.

We have a lot of good players, some who will get better and more consistent next year. Cole and Martin will be back. Their ceilings might not be much higher...I might be proven wrong on that...but they'll likely be more consistent being mature upperclassmen.

Sanogo and Jackson have high ceilings to be realized and Gaffney showed a spike in improvement the last few weeks of the season.

I wish Bouknight would return, which I doubt will happen...hope I'm wrong...and if so, along with the talented recruits being added, this team could be talented enough to make a deep March run.

They have a lot of nice pieces, where if they can out will and play with sustained intensity like UConn teams of the past, they could beat teams that have better overall takent.

I think the future is bright if Hurley continues to improve the talent which seems to be the case with the 2 most current recruiting classes and learns to game plan better and make improved in game adjustments.
Based on the moronic responses to your post, it's understandable why you've been reluctant. This place has become a disaster. But you made great points. And frankly, it wasn't just this one game, as has also been posted ad nauseum. I think Hurley could be the right guy and am definitely not trying to run him out of town. But his in game coaching definitely needs to improve immensely. Way too many games where the other teams dictated and/or we played to their strengths. That's not a sign of good coaching. Yes, we need a talent upgrade. I watched Alabama a lot this year. I think they beat us by 20+ if we manage to get by Maryland. I think they will make the Final Four. We're on the upswing, but some things definitely need to improve to continue the trajectory.

Reaction Score
tenor.gif

Reaction Score
Based on the moronic responses to your post, it's understandable why you've been reluctant. This place has become a disaster. But you made great points. And frankly, it wasn't just this one game, as has also been posted ad nauseum. I think Hurley could be the right guy and am definitely not trying to run him out of town. But his in game coaching definitely needs to improve immensely. Way too many games where the other teams dictated and/or we played to their strengths. That's not a sign of good coaching. Yes, we need a talent upgrade. I watched Alabama a lot this year. I think they beat us by 20+ if we manage to get by Maryland. I think they will make the Final Four. We're on the upswing, but some things definitely need to improve to continue the trajectory.
The reason why I haven't posted in a while isn't because of the cowardly attacks and criticism. It was happening at an alarming rate back a few years ago when I used to post frequently and was a moderator. Frankly, I don't know why people can't just simply disagree with what people post without the personal attacks, but that's what happens on message boards where people can hide behind their electronic devices.

Life just got crazy, busy and changes in priorities, that's all.

I do miss talking college hoops though. I'll check things out on the Yard from time to time, but won't likely post often. The personal attacks I see all the time just gets old making forums like this not as appealing as it once was. It's too bad. I've known some very knowledgeable fans who just won't post because of the bullying they witness others having to endure. Too many miss out on what could be a better experience.

Just look at the overall degradation of behavior in our county and around the world and realize why would it be different on a forum like this. Don't get me started! I know this is not the forum for this sort of topic. Don't get me wrong...I'm sure there's a lot of good people who participate on the Boneyard and many enjoy it for all it offers.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
The reason why I haven't posted in a while isn't because of the cowardly attacks and criticism. It was happening at an alarming rate back a few years ago when I used to post frequently and was a moderator. Frankly, I don't know why people can't just simply disagree with what people post without the personal attacks, but that's what happens on message boards where people can hide behind their electronic devices.

Life just got crazy, busy and changes in priorities, that's all.

I do miss talking college hoops though. I'll check things out on the Yard from time to time, but won't likely post often. The personal attacks I see all the time just gets old making forums like this not as appealing as it once was. It's too bad. I've known some very knowledgeable fans who just won't post because of the bullying they witness others having to endure. Too many miss out on what could be a better experience.

Just look at the overall degradation of behavior in our county and around the world and realize why would it be different on a forum like this. Don't get me started! I know this is not the forum for this sort of topic. Don't get me wrong...I'm sure there's a lot of good people who participate on the Boneyard and many enjoy it for all it offers.
Keep on keepin' on, DM.

I'm glad to see you posting again--wish you had come back for the sentencing though! Would have been nice to have you around to 'splain to some of these youngsters what it's like to make a sacrifice for the mojo.

Reaction Score
Or why did he click on a new thread about the Maryland game?
Not directed to you Kitman... You mean why didn't I...? I initially searched but decided to start my own since those seem to be buried below more recent threads. Is there a rule you can't start a new one. Like I always said years ago. You don't like it, don't read it! Why punish yourself by reading something you don't want to read and then waste time complaining about it, not to mention completely derailing the entire thread when others might want to stay on the topic.

Things just never change on the Yard, do they?!?!

Reaction Score
Keep on keepin' on, DM.

I'm glad to see you posting again--wish you had come back for the sentencing though! Would have been nice to have you around to 'splain to some of these youngsters what it's like to make a sacrifice for the mojo.
Ha ha! I'll never forget the haiku.

What I should have posted for my first in years was something completely idiotic and then watch half the Yarders have their heads explode telling me to F off!

Reaction Score
My first thought was "Well, this isn't in haiku!" then I got distracted by him posting twice and not saying "bigs" in either one.
You haven't lost your whit nor your edge, Deep. You'll always be a Boneyard big in my book!

Reaction Score
Not directed to you Kitman... You mean why didn't I...? I initially searched but decided to start my own since those seem to be buried below more recent threads. Is there a rule you can't start a new one. Like I always said years ago. You don't like it, don't read it! Why punish yourself by reading something you don't want to read and then waste time complaining about it, not to mention completely derailing the entire thread when others might want to stay on the topic.

Things just never change on the Yard, do they?!?!
i think he was referring to one of the posters who replied to you, who said that they were tired of reading about the maryland game.

kitamin was asking why they would click on a thread about the maryland game if they were so tired of reading about it.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
My first thought was "Well, this isn't in haiku!" then I got distracted by him posting twice and not saying "bigs" in either one.
You let a guy off by accepting pushups as his penance.

Unless I misremember, we did eventually get some haiku Stu. You did your part and he did his.

Also, I like that we got teased here with a long-ish first post, and then the genuine article in his followup. And I also like the restraint @DogMania showed in waiting until the closure of the first weekend, after we could see that Alabama would have kicked our ass.

Year 3 of a total rebuild in the books.

May the mojo rise
as twenty-one completes, and
into twenty-two.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member