Bad for the sport? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Bad for the sport?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Yogi is very well-read.
I have a whole book of his sayings (whenever I read it it's like deja vu all over again). Very smart guy. These things didn't just accidentally slip out - he knew what he was doing.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
Too many AD's are content to hire mediocrities as head coaches for women's basketball.

Perhaps not a matter of being content to hire mediocrities as much as the talent pool for women's basketball coaches is somewhat shallow?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Perhaps not a matter of being content to hire mediocrities as much as the talent pool for women's basketball coaches is somewhat shallow?
Plus a lot of mediocre coaches are recycled because schools don't care enough to hunt out talented AAU or high school coaches that could make a successful move to Div I. Got to give credit to Marist for hiring Brian Giorgis out of Our Lady Of Lourdes High School. The AD there did some good research.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
I think both men's and women's basketball has a lot of mediocre to good basketball coaches. Coaches are recycled all over the place.

Great is rare and always will be. You hope that the greats can pass on the basics to their coaching 'tree', like ethics, respect, X's & O's and hard work. But some of what makes a coach great is simply not translatable. If it were, regardless of where they started, Temple and Cinncy would be better by now.

I can only hope that the greats (and the really goods) continue to mentor other coaches, raising the overall skill level and giving the opportunity for the "Next Great One" to arise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom