Backlash over Nike shirts after soccer victory? | The Boneyard

Backlash over Nike shirts after soccer victory?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Ugh. Horrible.

Unlike the reporter, though, I do put some blame on Nike. Something in poor taste reflects poorly on them too.

Reaction Score
I cannot imagine Geno would let the WBB team wear this shirt should they win. While I am proud of the USA women's soccer team for winning the gold, I wish someone would have taken a step back and thought better of wearing the tee-shirts. Shame on Nike and USA Soccer. Not their finest moment.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Eh didn't bother me too much. IOC has already sold their soul to the highest bidder (NBC, Coke, McD's, etc.).

Reaction Score
Eh didn't bother me too much. IOC has already sold their soul to the highest bidder (NBC, Coke, McD's, etc.).

But Japan wouldn't have been given them to wear if they won (nor do I think they'd put them on). It just gives another reason to call us Ugly Americans.

U

UCONNfan1

Bad taste. Fortnuately Geno would never allow that. He's all about conformity - one reason no tats are allowed on the WCBB team. He can't control that on Team USA, but he surely would put the kabosh on a tasteless display like the soccer team showed. And I agree - it's not the soccer players' faults.

U

UCONNfan1

Me too. Hard to blame the players but USA Soccer should've shown better judgment. I'm not sure what Nike and USA Basketball are planning if Team USA is fortunate enough to win on Saturday but they won't be wearing THAT shirt.
Probably something like "Greatness never before seen" (paying homage to the 5 gold medals in a row by a team from one country)... :eek:

Reaction Score
I don't like them wearing any championship t-shirts at the Olympics. Should the USA jersey be enough.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
But Japan wouldn't have been given them to wear if they won (nor do I think they'd put them on).
They wear Adidas. So what's your point?

It just gives another reason to call us Ugly Americans.
One, who cares. Two, most of them don't need a reason.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Bad taste. Fortnuately Geno would never allow that. .

Yea cause UCONN has never worn celebration shirts/hats after winning any championships. :rolleyes:

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I think the shirts are silly - but it is what it is. It's probably no sillier than anything else - if the Japanese had won and worn whatever the hell they wanted, no one would say a word about it. (So F the world.)

But again, I thought the shirts were silly, but it's part of an advertising campaign that I think is pretty cool...

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I was prepared to be outraged - then I clicked the link.

Yeah, a bit much. My taste, no. Make US look bad - maybe. Worth getting knickers in a twist - nyet.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Fishy - thanks for posting. That is a nice campaign.
That being said, I do think it was pretty bush league to distribute and wear the shirts.
I also was a little disappointed that none of the USA team went over to congratulate the Japanese team on a great game. I am used to seeing that in most international soccer competitions.
And ... I also haven't seen gold medalists invite silver and bronze medalists onto the top platform with them - not sure if this is no longer happening, or if NBC is cutting away before it happens. I always liked those moments in previous Olympics - comradery in the midst of intense competition - dare I say the Olympic spirit?

Reaction Score
I think the shirts are silly - but it is what it is. It's probably no sillier than anything else - if the Japanese had won and worn whatever the hell they wanted, no one would say a word about it. (So F the world.)

Fishy, you may have a career at the United Nations ahead of you...!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom