Backcourt Depth Next Year | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Backcourt Depth Next Year

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
For every Kromah/gibbs, I raise you a smith/anderson. I am sick of the Kevin Ollie way of filling holes with guys from mid major programs who may or may not translate to high major play.

Kevin Ollie used it as a recruiting strategy to mask deficient recruiting. Hurley is using it as a fill in to plug holes until you can build a new boat.

There are plenty of productive transfers everywhere. The key is to get the right ones. The absolute BEST thing about 5th years, is it's only a 1 yr deal. IF he doesn't work out, no worries, you've got the scholarship to work with next year.

With a marginal recruit, you've still got a high risk proposition for another few years.

My trust is in Hurley being able to turn the Hilton Armstrongs of the world into an NBA player from the player he was as a freshman/sophomore.

And for every Hilton Armstrong, I can give you a hundred Justin Brown's, Tyler Olander, Enosch Wolff, Darius Smith, Jamal Trice, etc etc etc

Hilton is more of a rarity than a quality 5th year.

Reaction Score
Right now we have 5 players slated to be able to play the 2 guard spots:

Gilbert
Vital
Adams
Gaffney
Bouknight

• Bouknight will likely have to split time between SG and SF.
  • Adams has some upside, but in my opinion hasn't proven himself enough to rely on him for much next year.
  • Gilbert is the most talented kid on the roster, but he's a huge injury risk.
Would you like to see Hurley add another guard to the roster?
Hurley has to add another guard. Adams has not looked very good at all. Vital is maybe 50 50 chance of coming back to Uconn next year. gilbert is terrific but unfortunately has a very bad injury history.

Reaction Score
Yeah fellas we need to carry 3 ballhandlers. We have 2 on the roster and one, AG, hasn't yet played a full season. Can't take that risk unless one of CV/BA acquire handle over the off season.

Reaction Score
Wouldn't he have to sit out a year as a transfer? No way the NCAA is giving a waiver for this one.
Even if Tremont has to sit out, you take him. That being said the NCAA is back to giving anyone and everyone a waiver.

Reaction Score
Right now we have 5 players slated to be able to play the 2 guard spots:

Gilbert
Vital
Adams
Gaffney
Bouknight

• Bouknight will likely have to split time between SG and SF.
  • Adams has some upside, but in my opinion hasn't proven himself enough to rely on him for much next year.
  • Gilbert is the most talented kid on the roster, but he's a huge injury risk.
Would you like to see Hurley add another guard to the roster?
No.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
We wouldn't need him to contribute per se, we'd need him as break glass in case of emergency. Your Robert Garrison, E.J. Harrison, Marcus Thomas, etc. with the bonus that he wouldn't be taking up a schollie,

The limitations of that role are why he's probably unlikely to come here, but it would be great if he did.
EJ didn't take up a scholarship. He was a walk-on.

Reaction Score

How did he go for 42% from 3 last year on high volume to 29% this year? His FT% went up. Bizarre. Is he playing hurt? He was at 31% the year before, so was last year the fluke? His minutes went down, so perhaps it is an injury thing.

Found an article wondering the same thing.
Touri: The curious case of Luwane Pipkins

Either way, 5'8 grad transfer guard that shot less than 40% from 2 and less than 30% from 3 that may have developed the yips isn't high on my list.

Reaction Score
I still hold out hope for Brendan Adams evolving into the next Donnell Beverly
Neither one of those guys were/are capable of running the point for more than a few minutes.
As an aside, I met Donnell the day before his surgery. He was incredibly nice and engaging. Hope things are going well in his life.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Neither one of those guys were/are capable of running the point for more than a few minutes.
As an aside, I met Donnell the day before his surgery. He was incredibly nice and engaging. Hope things are going well in his life.

I hear he's done quite well for himself in the financial and real estate industries.

Reaction Score
Hurley has to add another guard. Adams has not looked very good at all. Vital is maybe 50 50 chance of coming back to Uconn next year. gilbert is terrific but unfortunately has a very bad injury history.
We have Carlton, Polley and Akok to play the 4 and 5. It would be generous to say they average 200 lbs. Our priority should be to get some muscle. We have been pushed around too long. We need physical players. If I see Sid playing the 4 next year I’ll puke.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
We have Carlton, Polley and Akok to play the 4 and 5. It would be generous to say they average 200 lbs. Our priority should be to get some muscle. We have been pushed around too long. We need physical players. If I see Sid playing the 4 next year I’ll puke.

No reason we can't get a guard and a banger. Priority down low tho. Can't count on Diarra for a single game.

Reaction Score
We can get a big, a wing, and a guard. It's not either or, if the good players are there and want to come to UConn we have the room.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
When we get some frontcourt depth, then we can do a thread on it!
That's the issue - there isn't any ( JC excepted) and the recruiting scene doesn't bode well right now
Looks like DH may have to go the grad market to perhaps " mask deficient recruiting" as was quoted by another in an expected comment aimed at another coach. He did it this past off season with Yawkee due to the need to plug holes but I was hoping, as I am positive DH was also, that he could get some young decent bigs to Storrs. Yes there is time left but the market is drying up. It's not easy to recruit certain players to this conference, especially bigs because there are a lot fewer than quality guards. Most quality bigs go P5. Guards are a much easier target. I would love to see a sure fire 3 point threat joining the team and I bet there are more of them than centers.
Maybe Precious will come to Storrs - I am hoping so
I thought that the staff did a good job with following him, it was mentioned on national TV numerous times, and deserve credit.
It's been a problem for every coach in the AAC
Grad/JC whatever it takes to get some help for JC and give UConn some bulk and defensive presence under the hoop

Reaction Score

Agree on Sid at the 4. I think he has a bright future with the program but he’s a 3 and nothing else. The kid is barely 6’6” and 175 pounds if he’s lucky. We cannot compete with real teams if our starting 4 is that size. Next year’s front court will be Akok and Carlton with Polley being the main backup.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom