Backcourt Depth Next Year | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Backcourt Depth Next Year

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
Like it or not, Gaffney is our backup PG next yr. I'd tell Vital to work on his handles this summer. Adams too. The concern is depth at the 5. We can make the 4 work with Akok, Polley. Wilson. They need a legit guy to bang at the 5 behind Carlton.

Reaction Score
Not too high on B Adams. But with the way this year has gone, Hurley should've slowly given more of Smith's minutes to Adams. Help give Adams much needed confidence/experience. Smith's lack of shooting, low basketball IQ, and poor decision making should've gave way to Adams a long time ago, if we are truly focused on the future.
Trouble is smith was one of two guys (Al the other) who could really handle the ball once Jalen went down

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
We need another ball handler. Gaffney is a combo that primarily plays off the ball in HS/AAU. Another grad transfer is in line imo.

Reaction Score
We need another ball handler. Gaffney is a combo that primarily plays off the ball in HS/AAU. Another grad transfer is in line imo.

What grad transfers are we looking at?

Reaction Score
We still do not have a power forward. Carlton needs some help up from. Would rather have 6-10, 240 or 6-9, 250 than a guard. Would prefer a back up 7-0 center to a guard.

What is Akok if not a 4 or 5? Are we really going to play Akok at the 3 when we have Vital, Bouknight, Polley and Wilson all vying for that position? Akok's shot-blocking is needed inside, not sitting on the wing. My bet is that we see a lot of Carlton and Akok together up front as twin 4's or twin 5's, choose your label.

Reaction Score
What is Akok if not a 4 or 5? Are we really going to play Akok at the 3 when we have Vital, Bouknight, Polley and Wilson all vying for that position? Akok's shot-blocking is needed inside, not sitting on the wing. My bet is that we see a lot of Carlton and Akok together up front as twin 4's or twin 5's, choose your label.
I agree we’ll see a lot of Akok and Carlton together.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Likely wouldn't be a current guy that is available. Any guard added to the roster for next year, and it wouldn't be a bad idea, would likely be a decommit, transfer w/ a waiver, or a grad transfer.

That's what I was thinking and I too would grab one. Even if it's just as a place holder in case something happens to Gilbert. The 'recruit over him' or 'move on' guys are dumb, but you gotta have a backup plan just in case.

Most important is a backup center. By Far.

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
Why would Akok not be a 4.. kid is almost as tall as a 5

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Doesn't matter what he was playing in HS or AAU, he was recuited to play PG here at UConn and if Gilbert goes down he will be the man. He will back up Gilbert and play with him. Bouk will play 2/3. Bouk keeps posting "thats my point guard" about Gaffney.

Reaction Score
If that guard is Tremont Waters should Wade get canned, then absolutely
Wouldn't he have to sit out a year as a transfer? No way the NCAA is giving a waiver for this one.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
We wouldn't need him to contribute per se, we'd need him as break glass in case of emergency. Your Robert Garrison, E.J. Harrison, Marcus Thomas, etc. with the bonus that he wouldn't be taking up a schollie,
The limitations of that role are why he's probably unlikely to come here, but it would be great if he did.

This. It's actually a main feature, rather than a bonus.

Reaction Score
For the love of god, just please no more grad transfers. These guys are just a waste of a scholarship on our bench. I would much rather have a very raw freshman who could potentially be a good role player as a junior senior. It's nice that it appears this staff can actually develop players, so lets just stop it with the 5th year guys.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

Well, Akok is not, nor ever will be a 3 at the college level. If he's not a 4 or a 5, we are @#$%@$%.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
For the love of god, just please no more grad transfers. These guys are just a waste of a scholarship on our bench. I would much rather have a very raw freshman who could potentially be a good role player as a junior senior. It's nice that it appears this staff can actually develop players, so lets just stop it with the 5th year guys.

You mean like Kromah, Gibbs, Miller, and the like?

Why would you waste a scholarship on a player who is at best a gamble (at this stage)? We have too many of those guys already. We either need high end talent, or to fill holes temporarily until we get it.

And we need guys to play immediately. Especially at the 4/5.

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
Fine with grad transfers, just please God no one like Big Dave or Anderson...my heart can't handle it

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score

Horrible take. This is where college basketball is headed. UConn needs to adapt and find ways to amass as much talent as possible to help the team win, and that does include grad transfers.

Reaction Score
If they can help, grab 'em. Even if it's to get whatever incoming frosh ready for college hoops in practice and off the court

Reaction Score
You mean like Kromah, Gibbs, Miller, and the like?

Why would you waste a scholarship on a player who is at best a gamble (at this stage)? We have too many of those guys already. We either need high end talent, or to fill holes temporarily until we get it.

And we need guys to play immediately. Especially at the 4/5.
For every Kromah/gibbs, I raise you a smith/anderson. I am sick of the Kevin Ollie way of filling holes with guys from mid major programs who may or may not translate to high major play. My trust is in Hurley being able to turn the Hilton Armstrongs of the world into an NBA player from the player he was as a freshman/sophomore.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
For every Kromah/gibbs, I raise you a smith/anderson. I am sick of the Kevin Ollie way of filling holes with guys from mid major programs who may or may not translate to high major play. My trust is in Hurley being able to turn the Hilton Armstrongs of the world into an NBA player from the player he was as a freshman/sophomore.

This is such a myopic view of the college basketball world. Grad transfers aren't some cheapo Kevin Ollie tactic at all. Villanova, UNC, Gonzaga, and other programs that have been at the top of the mountain the past few years all incorporate grad transfers into their rosters. It is a fact of life, and UConn cannot be left behind when it comes to any type of recruiting.

By the way, that logic of "for every good one there's a bad one" applies to HS recruits, JUCO transfers, DI transfers, or any other classification of player. It doesn't make grad transfers look anywhere near as bad as you think it does.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom