Backcourt Depth Next Year

Reaction Score
Right now we have 5 players slated to be able to play the 2 guard spots:

Gilbert
Vital
Adams
Gaffney
Bouknight

• Bouknight will likely have to split time between SG and SF.
  • Adams has some upside, but in my opinion hasn't proven himself enough to rely on him for much next year.
  • Gilbert is the most talented kid on the roster, but he's a huge injury risk.
Would you like to see Hurley add another guard to the roster?

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
Who could Hurley get at this point for 2019? Another T Smith type or worse ? I would prefer quality instead of quantity at this point.

Reaction Score
I think Gaffney will end up taking over B. Adams' spot as the kind of plug in combo guard. I'm high on him as a ball-dominant PG long term, and kind of being a better Vital the year after next with a senior AG. I think he is our only guard with real potential to be that true combo guard, and so don't think another pure PG would be necessary, even just a grad transfer like Tarin.

Reaction Score
Who could Hurley get at this point for 2019? Another T Smith type or worse ? I would prefer quality instead of quantity at this point.
Likely wouldn't be a current guy that is available. Any guard added to the roster for next year, and it wouldn't be a bad idea, would likely be a decommit, transfer w/ a waiver, or a grad transfer.

Reaction Score
Not too high on B Adams. But with the way this year has gone, Hurley should've slowly given more of Smith's minutes to Adams. Help give Adams much needed confidence/experience. Smith's lack of shooting, low basketball IQ, and poor decision making should've gave way to Adams a long time ago, if we are truly focused on the future.

Reaction Score
We still do not have a power forward. Carlton needs some help up front. Would rather have 6-10, 240 or 6-9, 250 than a guard. Would prefer a back up 7-0 center to a guard.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Again, only 1 true often injured PG in that group.

Reaction Score
Right now we have 5 players slated to be able to play the 2 guard spots:

Gilbert
Vital
Adams
Gaffney
Bouknight

• Bouknight will likely have to split time between SG and SF.
  • Adams has some upside, but in my opinion hasn't proven himself enough to rely on him for much next year.
  • Gilbert is the most talented kid on the roster, but he's a huge injury risk.
Would you like to see Hurley add another guard to the roster?

LOL. We only get 12 roster spots next year, and we have even less certainty up front. Five guards is right because it leaves you 7 schollies for 3 upfront positions. Add a 6th guard, you can't practice with a full second team if one of your bigs is injured.

Hopefully we add someone like Hunter as a walk on.

Reaction Score
Not too high on B Adams. But with the way this year has gone, Hurley should've slowly given more of Smith's minutes to Adams. Help give Adams much needed confidence/experience. Smith's lack of shooting, low basketball IQ, and poor decision making should've gave way to Adams a long time ago, if we are truly focused on the future.
Only problem with this is Adams can't dribble.

Reaction Score
Gaffney will be the PG on the next level, forget what he is now. Even if some don't like his handle, too bad, he will be the guy to get the PG minutes if Gilbert goes down. Jalen Adams wasn't a true point guard either and was considered a combo guard who would play point in college. That will be Gaffney.

I don't feel we will get anyone that would want to come to a team with 5 guards on the roster. If we do it won't be a player that would play major minutes or play over the future in Gaffney. I'm confused by those that want Hunters kid as a back up to Gilbert. I want him too as a walk on but he won't play unless Gaffney goes down.

Reaction Score
My concern would be at the point. This isn't about last night for AG but how many games can we count on him playing in next year? BA doesnt look like he has pg handle.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Assuming we have 2 scholarships left to fill, I think we have to run with 5 scholarship guards. We need a big wing/forward, and a center.
As most have said, adding Jaylin Hunter would help tremendously insurance-wise.

Reaction Score
There is plenty of tape online of Gaffney running the point against high level competition (see: the Brewster-Westtown game where he dominated despite going up against Jalen Lecque).

Reaction Score
Gaffney will be the backup PG and will get a lot of minutes there. I still thing they bring in JUCO or grad transfer 5 based on the offers out there.

Reaction Score
LOL. We only get 12 roster spots next year, and we have even less certainty up front. Five guards is right because it leaves you 7 schollies for 3 upfront positions. Add a 6th guard, you can't practice with a full second team if one of your bigs is injured.

Hopefully we add someone like Hunter as a walk on.
Well you can count Bouknight as a 3 too, so he fits into both.

Not going to get into details, but I expect to have 3 open scholarships in April. IMO the best way to cover our bases is to use 2 on the front court and 1 for the backcourt.

If the number of open schollies ends up being less than that, we’ll likely be forced to ride those 5 options out. They need a center and they’re pushing hard for Achiuwa/another forward.

Reaction Score
Is Hunter still slated to potentially be a walk on? Especially with one less scholarship available.

Reaction Score
Sounds like the plan was for Hunter to walk on but that’s before he started getting D1 offers. I agree there is likely to be more openings though.

Reaction Score
Is Hunter still slated to potentially be a walk on? Especially with one less scholarship available.
He's picked up a few DI offers so he has other options available to him - Towson, Fairfield, Boston University, Old Dominion.

Reaction Score
Don’t expect to see Hunter come here, and even if he did, to be able to contribute as a freshman.

Reaction Score
Don’t expect to see Hunter come here, and even if he did, to be able to contribute as a freshman.

We wouldn't need him to contribute per se, we'd need him as break glass in case of emergency. Your Robert Garrison, E.J. Harrison, Marcus Thomas, etc. with the bonus that he wouldn't be taking up a schollie,

The limitations of that role are why he's probably unlikely to come here, but it would be great if he did.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom