Back to the player leadership issue | The Boneyard

Back to the player leadership issue

Reaction Score
We need to find that leader and quick. Boat learned from Shabazz learned from Kemba who learned from AJP who learned from Marcus (suspended) who learned from Taliek (via practice). Taliek was the last player not to have a player tutelage but that tough Son of a Biatch still made it happen. Remember Khalid declared his junior year right before Taliek's freshman year. I'll continue a little bit more; Khalid learned from Coach Ricky who learned from Doron who learned from . . . . (drumroll) . .. . . . . . . . . . . Coach, who learned from Smitty who learned from Tate . . . . . . . . . . . . . . That to me is one of Calhoun's greatest legacy being able to get extensions of himself onto the court. As you can see though Boat is the last Calhoun leadership connected bloodline (via Bazz).

I say all that because that our great leadership heritage line was expected to be extended from Boat to Jalen. Obviously that ain't happening (so far and its late). Not one of our Championship Teams, including Big East and AAC did not have a leader even if not a great one. But they assumed the role.

If someone does not step up, based on our extensive UConn historical success, this season will not produce the fruit we want to see. Even worse I don't see a leader emerging this season, as they all seem to defer to Jalen who won't lead in accordance to the players named above.

Late game last night we needed a leader to execute, control, get our players ready and win the farking game! Sadly the only one 'trained' did not assume that role. I will be clear I do not fault Jalen because leadership can not be transmitted (player/coach), you either have it, can develop it or don't have it at all. I guess this here old fan expected NBA PG Ollie to develop it in Jalen and I am very disappointed. But then you have to know how to develop it as well.

Nonetheless our heritage line is broken right now and ironically our HC a direct descendant.

I will say winning consistently helps build a leader, but even more-so and better, losing breeds stronger leaders through adversity, perseverance and the ability to defeat all obstacles. The latter could be the perfect recipe for Gilbert. I think he can start a new line of leaders in spite of his surroundings.

Sheessh I need a drink now, its a little depressing in Storrs.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Yeah, that’s a bunch of crap.

Two kids had to play all 50 minutes of a double-overtime game last night, so you can take your pop psychology about leadership and not ‘stepping up’ and cram it.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score

Two kids had to play all 50 minutes of a double-overtime game last night, so you can take your pop psychology about leadership and not ‘stepping up’ and cram it.

You beat me to it.

If anyone thinks that Jalen and Larrier didn't show leadership last night, them they are trying to push their own agenda.

Did they run out of legs? Yes. But they gave everything they had for 50 friggin minutes each...

Reaction Score
If we had any of the other head coaches who make Ollies salary we would be a tournament team.

Reaction Score
Jalen had a huge statistical game but at no point did I say Jalen has taken over this game. This has been his whole career at UConn against good teams. There has been very few if any instances against good team where Jalen has just taken over and led this team to a victory. Bazz, Kemba, and all UConn greats had this ability and Jalen just doesn't. He gets his points and plays good but never have I said he was dominant today. Part of it is not getting a rest and being primary ball handler and part is not having a good supporting cast but most is not developing a jumper.

Reaction Score

The post wasn't just about last night. Linky

Reaction Score
Jalen had a huge statistical game but at no point did I say Jalen has taken over this game. This has been his whole career at UConn against good teams. There has been very few if any instances against good team where Jalen has just taken over and led this team to a victory. Bazz, Kemba, and all UConn greats had this ability and Jalen just doesn't. He gets his points and plays good but never have I said he was dominant today. Part of it is not getting a rest and being primary ball handler and part is not having a good supporting cast but most is not developing a jumper.
Early last season we did see leadership out of Jalen. He took over in Maui, to the point where we worried about him possibly being projected to be taken in the first round of the last draft. I saw a hungry "put the team on my back" player similar to Boat.

Im not entirely sure what happened. I am currently a student and have seen the progression of his social standing on campus. His freshman year he had minimal playing time, which to us now would be unheard of as a touted freshman entering his freshman year (a la the noise to put Sid in if he gets cleared). He grew in recognition with the student body after his miracle shot. He came into his sophomore year ready to prove to the school he could be "the guy". After maui and through out the year he grew socially within the school. To the point where he was even an honorary brother of a fraternity and Ollie chewed him out.

The kid loves the lime light and grew complacent as you can see by his regression this season, he doesnt know how to be a piece of the puzzle. With AG and TL on the floor at the beginning of last year and early this year he disappeared in the corner of the perimeter and only looked engaged when we were fighting for our lives like in the second half of the stony brook game.

Last night was the first time in a while I saw Jalen dribble up to the half court and start the possession and in my opinion that is why our assist numbers went up. The kid led the conference in assists last year and had 9 with 4 to go in the 4th last night, he has to continue that, look for Carlton and MD for the alleyoop down low and get back to how he played in the bright spots of last year. Even when Gilbert was at point it was all hero ball, im glad Ollie took AA off ball because he facilitated ISO ball. Literally would hand off to TL and Jalen and the ball wouldnt leave their hands afterwards.

I hope Jalen is learning humility and that continues to progress throughout the season. Last night was different, we stayed around with Witchita and Arizona because some of our hero ball shots went in. For most of last night I saw more cohesive basketball, that starts with Jalen playing point. Everyone said his scoring would go up when he played his natural position as a shooting guard. I dont necessarily think he is, I dont think he thinks he is, give him the point for the rest of the season and lets see if he can mature into a leader.

Reaction Score
My only comment to this is that a lack of leadership is maybe a small problem in an ocean of bigger problems. General George Patton could be the captain of this team and they would still not be good.

Reaction Score
Jalen plays 38+ mins a night. He's our best scoring threat, can't get an open shot from his teammates and has to force stuff. For all his flaws and the team's dumpster fire situation, I think he's doing fine.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Honestly, I felt this was one of Jalen's best leadership performances. He was making accurate, crisp passes to the right people at the right times, was vocally directing traffic on the floor, and had much more positive body language than what I've usually seen out of him. He wasn't trying to make it the Jalen Adams Show last night.

Reaction Score
We need to find that leader and quick. Boat learned from Shabazz learned from Kemba who learned from AJP who learned from Marcus (suspended) who learned from Taliek (via practice). Taliek was the last player not to have a player tutelage but that tough Son of a Biatch still made it happen. Remember Khalid declared his junior year right before Taliek's freshman year. I'll continue a little bit more; Khalid learned from Coach Ricky who learned from Doron who learned from . . . . (drumroll) . .. . . . . . . . . . . Coach, who learned from Smitty who learned from Tate . . . . . . . . . . . . . . That to me is one of Calhoun's greatest legacy being able to get extensions of himself onto the court. As you can see though Boat is the last Calhoun leadership connected bloodline (via Bazz).

I say all that because that our great leadership heritage line was expected to be extended from Boat to Jalen. Obviously that ain't happening (so far and its late). Not one of our Championship Teams, including Big East and AAC did not have a leader even if not a great one. But they assumed the role.

If someone does not step up, based on our extensive UConn historical success, this season will not produce the fruit we want to see. Even worse I don't see a leader emerging this season, as they all seem to defer to Jalen who won't lead in accordance to the players named above.

Late game last night we needed a leader to execute, control, get our players ready and win the farking game! Sadly the only one 'trained' did not assume that role. I will be clear I do not fault Jalen because leadership can not be transmitted (player/coach), you either have it, can develop it or don't have it at all. I guess this here old fan expected NBA PG Ollie to develop it in Jalen and I am very disappointed. But then you have to know how to develop it as well.

Nonetheless our heritage line is broken right now and ironically our HC a direct descendant.

I will say winning consistently helps build a leader, but even more-so and better, losing breeds stronger leaders through adversity, perseverance and the ability to defeat all obstacles. The latter could be the perfect recipe for Gilbert. I think he can start a new line of leaders in spite of his surroundings.

Sheessh I need a drink now, its a little depressing in Storrs.
Agree

Reaction Score
I would say up until Wednesday night some of this was true. But Jalen and Terry both were all in for this game, need it every game we will see VS ECU.

Jalen was really good in many ways vs Tulsa need more of that. Can't ask for those numbers every game but the attitude, leadership and work ethic for 50 was tremendous. Need it every night. The kid stuck his nose in on several loose balls under that basket to come out with rebounds and Terry had a couple too. Terry's 4 assists were also very good to see, he may have tried to pass a little too much 2nd half and passed up a couple wide open 12-15 footers.

Reaction Score
What do people really expect out of this roster? In the Tulsa game, you basically saw what this team is capable of. They played hard. Yep, they played hard. I will say this once again, actually I will scream it. THIS TEAM HAS A VOID IN TALENT. If we are going to use past UConn teams as the bar of expectations, than 75% of this roster simply doesn't belong. At best, we always have 2 guys on the floor who can't score. Thats 3 on 5 folks. Can't win against good teams playing 3 on 5. And we don't. But, hell, we lost by 10 to WSU and in overtime to Tulsa. For that, I actually applaud the guys. As cracked as the foundation is, I give much respect to the players because its clear to me they are going out there and trying their best. This is no rah rah speech but lets take it easy on the players. They are doing all they can. For the first time maybe ever, I found myself feeling bad watching the Tulsa game. Not for KO. Not for the outcome. I felt bad for the kids wearing the UConn jersey. They gave it their all and came so close. It seems they can't catch a break and they deserve it. Instead, they are in the crossfire of a storied past, high expectations, and a broken program. Its not their fault.

Reaction Score
Lately I’ve been thinking Vital will break out in the next couple years. He seems honest with reporters and doesn’t complain in games, keeps his composure, and steps up when he needs to. If he stays he will be vital (no pun intended) player in the future. Always played like a true husky.

This year we have too many nubes and no one seems to know their role.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Lately I’ve been thinking Vital will break out in the next couple years. He seems honest with reporters and doesn’t complain in games, keeps his composure, and steps up when he needs to. If he stays he will be vital (no pun intended) player in the future. Always played like a true husky.

This year we have too many nubes and no one seems to know their role.
I love his attitude and his composure when speaking with reporters, but I think he's ultimately a limited, streaky player who is not aware of his limits--which can be both a good and bad thing. He could be a good glue guy going forward though. He really seems to hate losing, and I love that most about him.

Reaction Score
I love his attitude and his composure when speaking with reporters, but I think he's ultimately a limited, streaky player who is not aware of his limits--which can be both a good and bad thing. He could be a good glue guy going forward though. He really seems to hate losing, and I love that most about him.

This^^, Vital would be a great 6th man for a team of very good players, veteran type team because you could easily excuse the hiccups which will occur all the time and just take the positive energy and scoring ability. This team needs him to slow down and little and think a lot, not sure he's ready to do either of those right now maybe later.

Reaction Score
The narrative for who is a leader and who isn't is often written afterwards. Shabazz and Boat often butted heads, since it worked they were known as 2 fearless competitors who fought for the good of the team. If Brimah had missed that and 1, we would have heard that chemistry was a problem. There's never a bad team where people say the leadership is good. Sometimes the lack of leadership is the cause of the team being bad, I don't think that's the case here. Our stars aren't quite good enough to carry a young and shaky supporting cast. It's not that they aren't good enough leaders.

Reaction Score
This^^, Vital would be a great 6th man for a team of very good players, veteran type team because you could easily excuse the hiccups which will occur all the time and just take the positive energy and scoring ability. This team needs him to slow down and little and think a lot, not sure he's ready to do either of those right now maybe later.

I hear you. He really is a solid player imo that can either start or be a 6th man. At one time Kemba was a great 6th man, and we know how he turned out. I love how you said he should slow down and think a lot. He has so much potential. Sometimes he makes amazing plays and you can tell when he’s thinking versus hucking up a shot. I think a lot of our guys struggle with taking their time and thinking.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom