B1G Men's Basketball Tourney to DC | The Boneyard

B1G Men's Basketball Tourney to DC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
that would be an extraordinary quick announcement if this is the big news about the east coast for the BIG 10 that was supposed to be announced some time in the next 60 days

Reaction Score
and it is a giant "who cares?" seriously, unless its moving to MSG no one cares where the conference tourney is.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Agreed. A conference tournament in DC is *yawn*. A conference tournament in MSG is newsworthy.

Reaction Score
Agreed. A conference tournament in DC is *yawn*. A conference tournament in MSG is newsworthy.
I think I disagree with this. DC is a great college basketball town, and the city itself is populated with BiG alums who don't get to see their schools play all that often.

This has the potential to be a happening. Not as big as an MSG tourney would be, of course, but probably on scale with Barclay's - or certainly Newark.

Reaction Score
I think I disagree with this. DC is a great college basketball town, and the city itself is populated with BiG alums who don't get to see their schools play all that often.

This has the potential to be a happening. Not as big as an MSG tourney would be, of course, but probably on scale with Barclay's - or certainly Newark.
Anything is better than Newark, including Hartford. But DC doesn't come close to NYC, not Barclays, not MSG.

Reaction Score
Oops got my threads crossed. Anyhow, the Big Ten is still going to add NYC to its conference tournament rotation. It's still pursuing MSG, but will settle for Barclays if it strikes out.

Reaction Score
Not sure what the yawn and Zzzzz Zzzzz posts are about, but this has been expected since Maryland joined. Jim Delany already said the Big 10 tourney would be hosted in Washington. It'll be exciting for the hordes of Big Ten fans that live in the DVM. This is really good strategy by the B1G.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Not sure what the yawn and Zzzzz Zzzzz posts are about, but this has been expected since Maryland joined. Jim Delany already said the Big 10 tourney would be hosted in Washington. It'll be exciting for the hordes of Big Ten fans that live in the DVM. This is really good strategy by the B1G.

We're referencing a tweet made earlier by BTN dude saying that he had breakfast with Delany and he said he a "big announcement sometime in the next 60 days". The strategy of a conference tourney in DC may be sound and smart. Just not the "big" news expected.

Reaction Score
We're referencing a tweet made earlier by BTN dude saying that he had breakfast with Delany and he said he a "big announcement sometime in the next 60 days". The strategy of a conference tourney in DC may be sound and smart. Just not the "big" news expected.

Ahhh...I see. I missed that. My bad. Any ideas or clues re: what's expected in the next 60 days? I admittedly missed the discussion you're referencing.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Ahhh...I see. I missed that. My bad. Any ideas or clues re: what's expected in the next 60 days? I admittedly missed the discussion you're referencing.

No worries. There are so many threads around here about CR, the B1G, the ACC, etc it's tough to keep them all straight! This is what we were referencing...

@BTNTomDienhart: Had breakfast w/ #B1G commish Jim Delany this morning in NYC. Big things brewing for league out east. Expect more news in next 60 days.

Reaction Score

I wonder if there will be a FB related announcement also brewing - maybe the B1G CCG @ MetLife?

Dooley

Reaction Score
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...-big-ten-moving-league-tourney-to-dc-for-2017

"We don't just want to visit here, we want to live here," Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany told SI.com. "This was our first opportunity to do that. We think it's a wonderful opportunity for not just Maryland, but for expatriate Big Ten fans living on the East Coast to see great basketball in March."

Delany also said Big Ten fans should expect the tournament to take on a traveling circus feel, which multiple cities getting a crack at hosting duties.

"My expectation is you'll see it moving among and between venues in the Midwest and Northeast," he said. "You've got to figure out a pattern. I expect that over the next 10 years you're going to see us in both regions of the country."

Reaction Score
No worries. There are so many threads around here about CR, the B1G, the ACC, etc it's tough to keep them all straight! This is what we were referencing...

@BTNTomDienhart: Had breakfast w/ #B1G commish Jim Delany this morning in NYC. Big things brewing for league out east. Expect more news in next 60 days.

Thanks for the context. Now I get it. Following through on something you said you would do is far a big thing brewing. Lol

Reaction Score
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...-big-ten-moving-league-tourney-to-dc-for-2017

"We don't just want to visit here, we want to live here," Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany told SI.com. "This was our first opportunity to do that. We think it's a wonderful opportunity for not just Maryland, but for expatriate Big Ten fans living on the East Coast to see great basketball in March."

Delany also said Big Ten fans should expect the tournament to take on a traveling circus feel, which multiple cities getting a crack at hosting duties.

"My expectation is you'll see it moving among and between venues in the Midwest and Northeast," he said. "You've got to figure out a pattern. I expect that over the next 10 years you're going to see us in both regions of the country."

One thing I find interesting about this last quote is Delany speaking about the "Northeast" and the B1G having a presence in this region. After the addition of Maryland and Rutgers, he spoke more about the B1G being in the "Mid-Atlantic" region. As a follower of B1G expansion, it makes me wander if this signifies an actual change in the strategy of the conference as it moves to the East. If the emphasis will be on the "Northeast", it is more favorable to UConn as a candidate with further B1G expansion.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Right now, I suspect Delany is under the delusion that he has somehow found purchase in the northeast just by talking about it over and over and over.

Perhaps a guy born in Jersey, educated in Carolina and employed in Chicago might not have much insight as to what actually moves the needle in the northeast.

Reaction Score
Right now, I suspect Delany is under the delusion that he has somehow found purchase in the northeast just by talking about it over and over and over.

Perhaps a guy born in Jersey, educated in Carolina and employed in Chicago might not have much insight as to what actually moves the needle in the northeast.

Fishy. I cannot dispute what you said. I am a midwestern guy and cannot claim to have further insight about what moves the needle in the northeast. I would think he is going to have to go beyond talking about the region and take action and bring northeastern universities, such as UConn, into the Big Ten along with sponsoring Big Ten events in the region. Having said that, if you had the ear of Delany what do you tell him? "Jimbo here is what the Big Ten needs to do to move the needle in the northeast ..."

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score

If. Delany thinks he found purchase in the Northeast by adding Rutgers, he will have a rude awakening in a few months.

Reaction Score
Fishy. I cannot dispute what you said. I am a midwestern guy and cannot claim to have further insight about what moves the needle in the northeast. I would think he is going to have to go beyond talking about the region and take action and bring northeastern universities, such as UConn, into the Big Ten along with sponsoring Big Ten events in the region. Having said that, if you had the ear of Delany what do you tell him? "Jimbo here is what the Big Ten needs to do to move the needle in the northeast ..."
Did you go to the Michigan State-UConn game at MSG? That is what moves the needle. That moved the city. That moved the entire Northeast. That practically moved the whole damn country. When you get two elite programs and have them play in the biggest city in America, in the backyard of one of those two programs...............thats what moves the needle.
People can paint the Mid-Atlantic and Dc all they want. Its an upgrade from Indianapolis, sure. But it doesn't move anything. Especially when your rival conference is playing NYC.

Reaction Score

Not to mention a broadside to the ACC…

Dooley

Reaction Score

The northeast (for purposes of this statement, I'm grouping the tri-state area and New England into the "northeast"), for all intents and purposes, is a pro sports area. There is a TON of competition for sports entertainment dollars out here. I'd say that pro baseball and pro football dominate the sports pages year round with a bit of NBA and less NHL. But just about everyone in the northeast has pledged their allegiance, in one or the other, to the Yankees/Red Sox, Giants/Patriots, Knicks/Celtics, and Rangers/Bruins, but the coverage is mostly baseball and football.

As for college sports, the northeast is first and foremost a college basketball area. You won't see many bars packed to watch college football bowl games but you will see bars packed to watch the NCAA Tournament. There are plenty of folks who take those Thursdays and Fridays off during the first few weeks of the Tourney so that they can watch and there are also plenty of TVs found within corporate office break rooms that have the games on. Nobody in the northeast is going to take a weekday off to watch a bowl game. I don't know why that is - it might be because the northeast has never had a dominant college football program or because of a lack of quality high school football. Sure, there are a fair amount of B1G alums in the area who follow their teams but there is nothing around here that binds them to a game (ex - they can't go see their teams play at UCONN...although now they will be able to see their teams at Rutgers). And there is a fair amount of Notre Dame fans in the area that became ND fans because of Catholicism and because there was really nobody else around these parts to root for. I know that in my circle of friends who have UCONN season tickets, many of them used to be ND fans before UCONN came on the scene (they've since sworn off ND).

College basketball is the king college sport out here for a couple of reasons, in my opinion. First, we have a dominant program that people can rally around. When UCONN is playing in big games, they are covered by Boston media, New York media and of course, Connecticut media. Because UCONN has been a very good program for decades, there is now that generation ladder of fandom - parents passing their passion down to their kids and down the line. To be fair, Syracuse is also a popular team in New York and various members of the northeast media for those who enjoy to root for a paper tiger (or would that be a paper orange?). Second, the weather out here is better suited for youth basketball than football (or other outdoor sports). Unlike football, high school basketball produces quite a bit of college talent every year. For example, UCONN used its northeast roots to recruit under-recruited (probably because of size) PGs Kemba Walker from NY and Shabazz Napier from MA. A northeast college program can very easily focus its recruiting eyes on the northeastern areas and find talented prospects every year.

This isn't to say college football can't work in the northeast. Before Pasqualoni crushed our football program, UCONN enjoyed full or nearly full crowds on the majority of weeks. I think the key to college football working out here is for northeast teams to play against teams that they grew up watching. The average northeast fan doesn't get excited to go watch Wake Forrest or Cincinnati, regardless of if those teams are good or not. But the second that a Michigan, Notre Dame, Ohio State type of team comes out here, well everyone loses their minds to get tickets. That's why I think Rutgers will do fairly well in the B1G. That area will get excited to see the new home slate of games that replaces AAC/Big East teams with B1G teams and could result in a recruiting boom for that program. The same would happen with UCONN fans if we ever played against a B1G schedule instead of an AAC schedule although we don't have the fertile high school football grounds that are in New Jersey. UCONN fans are, essentially, fan transplants from other teams that they rooted for before UCONN upgraded to D-1A. Me? I always rooted for Michigan and enjoyed watching SEC games (usually siding with Tennessee) even as I rooted for UCONN basketball.

So, you asked what the needle movers in the northeast. The long answer can be found above. The short answer: pro sports, college basketball (namely UCONN and Syracuse), and big-name college football. Football season tickets would explode for UCONN in the days and weeks following a B1G invite because fans around here grew up watching B1G football and the names/programs are familiar.

Reaction Score
Talking is one thing, but this is an action that strikes again right in the belly of the ACC. It's like CR-lite, and these chess moves hopefully will get one of them to pick up UCONN to shore up its borders. I have to think its making the ACC edgy, which is more likely to lead to action. It's clear ACC doesn't want to lose the Northeast.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Sometimes the myopia of people in the "tri-state area" is astonishing. The first thing to understand is that except for people in metro NYC (in whichever state) nobody gives a rat's behind about NY, and most people (in my experience) don't like the place very much.

This move suggests to me that Delany knows exactly what moves the needle, and knows that he can't move the needle in NYC, so he isn't going to try. What he does by putting the tournament in DC, is really cement the B1G as the "local conference" in Philly, Delaware, Baltimore and the rest of Pennsylvania. He also taps into a huge alumni base of Big Ten grads working for the government in DC. It is a smart strategy. NY and Boston become islands surrounded by the Big Ten. Meanwhile, for those inclined towards the B1G already in Jersey, NY and New England, they get a tournament that is an easy commute, and he perhaps solidifies the interest in the NT DMA a tiny bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom