B1G Men's Basketball Tourney to DC | Page 2 | The Boneyard

B1G Men's Basketball Tourney to DC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Sometimes the myopia of people in the "tri-state area" is astonishing. The first thing to understand is that except for people in metro NYC (in whichever state) nobody gives a rat's behind about NY, and most people (in my experience) don't like the place very much.

This move suggests to me that Delany knows exactly what moves the needle, and knows that he can't move the needle in NYC, so he isn't going to try. What he does by putting the tournament in DC, is really cement the B1G as the "local conference" in Philly, Delaware, Baltimore and the rest of Pennsylvania. He also taps into a huge alumni base of Big Ten grads working for the government in DC. It is a smart strategy. NY and Boston become islands surrounded by the Big Ten. Meanwhile, for those inclined towards the B1G already in Jersey, NY and New England, they get a tournament that is an easy commute, and he perhaps solidifies the interest in the NT DMA a tiny bit.

People who want to make money care immensely about NY because there are both a lot of people and a lot of wealth. DC is important, but not as important as NY for a conference commissioner who is trying to maximize revenue and exposure for the league. Boston and DC are great secondary markets to NY.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Sometimes the myopia of people in the "tri-state area" is astonishing. The first thing to understand is that except for people in metro NYC (in whichever state) nobody gives a rat's behind about NY, and most people (in my experience) don't like the place very much.

This move suggests to me that Delany knows exactly what moves the needle, and knows that he can't move the needle in NYC, so he isn't going to try. What he does by putting the tournament in DC, is really cement the B1G as the "local conference" in Philly, Delaware, Baltimore and the rest of Pennsylvania. He also taps into a huge alumni base of Big Ten grads working for the government in DC. It is a smart strategy. NY and Boston become islands surrounded by the Big Ten. Meanwhile, for those inclined towards the B1G already in Jersey, NY and New England, they get a tournament that is an easy commute, and he perhaps solidifies the interest in the NT DMA a tiny bit.

What?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104