B1G goes conference only | The Boneyard

B1G goes conference only

Reaction Score
No doubt its just the start. I probably should have posted it on the football board where it would be more relevant. I think football has some B1G teams on the schedule.

Reaction Score
The dominos are starting to fall. I was just listening to Mad Dog on my way home from work, and he brought up the obvious point about Notre Dame, but technically us as well since we are now an Independent. What happens if every conference decides to do this? There wont be any games on the schedule. I guess all the independents will have to play each other. With all of this going on, Im putting it at 70-30 no season...

Reaction Score
Now Brett McMurphy just tweeted the ACC is going conference only as well.

Reaction Score
No doubt its just the start. I probably should have posted it on the football board where it would be more relevant. I think football has some B1G teams on the schedule.

It’s all sports...

Reaction Score
I was just thinking that they don't mention basketball (winter sport). Our non-football teams would at least have conference opponents to play. Maybe football can play a 7-game series against ND who might be looking for opponents too :)
ACC has ND’s back:

Reaction Score
What's the point of playing conference-only?
most are in favor of this when it comes to bball, rather than canceling the season...i have a sneaking suspicion most are opposed to this when it comes to football, and would rather cancel the season because UConn isn't in a conference, and that's what you call a double standard.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
most are in favor of this when it comes to bball, rather than canceling the season...i have a sneaking suspicion most are opposed to this when it comes to football, and would rather cancel the season, because UConn isn't in a conference, and that's what you call a double standard.
But that's the same point I was making - what's the actual reason for it?

Presumably, the only reason schools would adjust their schedule is for health concerns. They're not going to give up profitable OOC games because lolololwhynot. But moving to a conference-only schedule makes absolutely no meaningful progress in providing a safer playing environment. Literally none. And in some cases, can be a more unsafe environment if it creates more lengthy travel. This is literally the emperor's new clothes in action.

Reaction Score
But moving to a conference-only schedule makes absolutely no meaningful progress in providing a safer playing environment. Literally none.
cutting 3-4 games from the schedule does reduce the overall potential for exposure. playing 8 or 9 games is safer than 12 any way you slice it.

cutting the 3-4 games that require the most travel from their schedules would do the most good, but cutting some games is still safer than cutting none.

Last edited:

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
The reason you do conference only is because that's the limit of what uniform standards for testing you can enforce. Everyone in the Big Ten having the same testing makes sense.

(Nobody's playing)

Reaction Score
The reason you do conference only is because that's the limit of what uniform standards for testing you can enforce. Everyone in the Big Ten having the same testing makes sense.

(Nobody's playing)

Yup. I knew I read it earlier just couldn’t remember where:

> Constricting to league play provides comfort in a few key areas:

Greater consistency of campus protocols, testing procedures and thresholds for when to play or when to cancel. The Big Ten has a task force of reps from every campus who have been studying the pandemic and all developments; they can help inform decisions on uniform guidelines for all schools. Non-conference opponents—especially those with less financial wherewithal—could bring a less rigorously tested or quarantined team onto campus. They also could feel pressure to take risks in order to secure a seven-figure guarantee check for playing the game.

“What kind of guarantee do I have when they come here that they're infection-free?” said one Power-5 AD. “Do they have the resources?”<

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
1) If I were a player, I would rather them cancel the season other than play only in conference and not do it the actual way.
2) How does only playing in conference games make any significant difference at all?
3) My softball team is playing, why can't they figure it out?

Reaction Score
1) If I were a player, I would rather them cancel the season other than play only in conference and not do it the actual way.
2) How does only playing in conference games make any significant difference at all?
3) My softball team is playing, why can't they figure it out?

Answer to #2.... the quote from the Big10.... "... By limiting competition to other Big Ten institutions, the Conference will have the greatest flexibility to adjust its own operations throughout the season and make quick decisions in real-time based on the most current evolving medical advice and the fluid nature of the pandemic."

Reaction Score
These are half measures to make everyone feel better. In reality it means very little. If they are going to go thru with these things just cancel everything til next April and be done with it. If the goal is truly to make everyone safe then no games and move along. Otherwise these “precautions” being taken are just window dressing so Pat Forde will write a favorable story

Reaction Score
It's laughable to me that all these half measures are being attempted, my god just cancel the season as much as it will ruin our fall.
Well the U.S. as a whole has been the worlwide champ of half-measures so it fits the mentality. If the whole US had just taken the medicine and completely shutdown everywhere and re-opened slowly & cautiously (like CT) with mandatory masks then maybe the fall could have been saved. Instead the U.S. will limp along until a vaccine with stops and starts over and over.

Last edited:

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Has anyone read an official document outlining the rationale? Wondering if quarantine requirements of some states are one reason for this.

Reaction Score
Has anyone read an official document outlining the rationale? Wondering if quarantine requirements of some states are one reason for this.
Yes, it's in the announcement from the conference. And in huskymedic's post above.

Reaction Score
Next...

>The Pac-12 CEO Group announced today that the fall season for several Pac-12 sports, including football, men’s and women’s soccer and women’s volleyball, would schedule Conference-only games, and that it is delaying the start of mandatory athletic activities, until a series of health and safety indicators, which have recently trended in a negative direction, provided sufficient positive data to enable a move to a second phase of return-to-play activities.<<

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom