B1G goes conference only | Page 2 | The Boneyard

B1G goes conference only

Reaction Score
Has anyone read an official document outlining the rationale? Wondering if quarantine requirements of some states are one reason for this.
It's basically that they can enforce testing procedures for their conference but not other conferences

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Possibly silly question(s), but is it in any way feasible to test the players and faculty before each game? (thinking basketball here, for what that's worth)

I realize that depending on how long it takes to get results, it may not detect what people catch during travel etc. But it's just not an area I know much about. If you had the resources available, could you test everyone the day of the game and get results back in time to be confident that no one on the hardwood was positive? Is there a gestation period (probably the wrong word) when you can be infected, contagious and test negative?

And I realize that doesn't account for any potential fans in the building. Or that people don't want a giant swab stuck through their face to the back of their head 2-3 times a week. I'm just curious about what we're medically capable of right now.

Or is the answer "we just don't know"?

Goatmeat

Puncher of Goats
Reaction Score
Possibly silly question(s), but is it in any way feasible to test the players and faculty before each game? (thinking basketball here, for what that's worth)

I realize that depending on how long it takes to get results, it may not detect what people catch during travel etc. But it's just not an area I know much about. If you had the resources available, could you test everyone the day of the game and get results back in time to be confident that no one on the hardwood was positive? Is there a gestation period (probably the wrong word) when you can be infected, contagious and test negative?

And I realize that doesn't account for any potential fans in the building. Or that people don't want a giant swab stuck through their face to the back of their head 2-3 times a week. I'm just curious about what we're medically capable of right now.

Or is the answer "we just don't know"?
Right now we have a multitude of tests available. There are rapid tests that come back with results in 45 mins, and there are the traditional tests that take days. The incubation period (“gestational period”) for a positive test in an asymptomatic patient is unknown. The issue is that the false negative rate of all these tests is unknown as well. It is hypothesized at around 20-30%, so if you test 10 people and it returns negative, 2 or 3 of then were actually positive for the virus. Short version - it’s very complicated. Not as easy as the general public thinks it is.

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
It's laughable to me that all these half measures are being attempted, my god just cancel the season as much as it will ruin our fall.
Half measures availed us nothing

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Right now we have a multitude of tests available. There are rapid tests that come back with results in 45 mins, and there are the traditional tests that take days. The incubation period (“gestational period”) for a positive test in an asymptomatic patient is unknown. The issue is that the false negative rate of all these tests is unknown as well. It is hypothesized at around 20-30%, so if you test 10 people and it returns negative, 2 or 3 of then were actually positive for the virus. Short version - it’s very complicated. Not as easy as the general public thinks it is.
Thanks. I assumed there are still a lot of unknowns. Is there evidence that false positives are in the 20-30% range? Or were those random numbers you used as an example?

Reaction Score
Listening to Mad Dog sports Kannell and Torre this is a pretty big money saver for all of the P5 schools which no one speaks of. Schools like Bowling Green, Ball State, Northern Illi etc etc all lose games which pay them near 1.5M each. They lose the funds they need to keep alive while the B1Gs and alike save the money by not playing them. The ones that make NO sense whatsoever are the one's in which the smaller school only has to bus over for a game. I know they have to be consistent but c'mon, play the games or don't play any.

Reaction Score
The dominos are starting to fall. I was just listening to Mad Dog on my way home from work, and he brought up the obvious point about Notre Dame, but technically us as well since we are now an Independent. What happens if every conference decides to do this? There wont be any games on the schedule. I guess all the independents will have to play each other. With all of this going on, Im putting it at 70-30 no season...
ACC will let their teams play ND anyways apparently, if there is a season, as they are a pseudo conference member.

Reaction Score
Next...

>The Pac-12 CEO Group announced today that the fall season for several Pac-12 sports, including football, men’s and women’s soccer and women’s volleyball, would schedule Conference-only games, and that it is delaying the start of mandatory athletic activities, until a series of health and safety indicators, which have recently trended in a negative direction, provided sufficient positive data to enable a move to a second phase of return-to-play activities.<<

You can't make this up.

Reaction Score
If it’s true as was posted somewhere that UConn has cancelled its non conference games for this season doesn’t that strongly suggest that basketball will be postponed until at least January? The argument that this is about which league has the best testing programs is pretty nonsensical, too. If for no their reason than liability every school will have solid testing protocols in place. In fact I know at least 3 NESCAC. Schools that have testing protocols for their whole student body that exceed anything thus far reported for P5 football conferences.

Reaction Score
Patriot League won't play any sports this Fall. Schools in the conference include Holy Cross, Boston University and Bucknell.

Reaction Score
Patriot League won't play any sports this Fall. Schools in the conference include Holy Cross, Boston University and Bucknell.
Not for football but Army and Navy are in the Patriot for other sports. Kind of hard to imagine that they won’t run cross country but will play football.

Reaction Score
Imagine my surprise that the slugs from the AAU are playing.
Slugs? Kids want to play ball, this is their life.

My friend's kids have already played 10 baseball games with their travel teams, are they slugs too?

Reaction Score
It's laughable to me that all these half measures are being attempted, my god just cancel the season as much as it will ruin our fall.
Ive been saying 2020 is a lost year and people keep pushing to do stuff before they ultimately have to cancel. MLB and the NBA are going to be very interesting. If they end up having to shut down again because there is a spike in cases among players/coaches we could see the dominoes fall across the sporting landscape.

Reaction Score
Meantime, few people outside of college basketball are really focused on college basketball right now because college football is scheduled to start sooner, it's bigger, more profitable and thus the priority. But almost nobody I've spoken with connected to the sport in the past week believes college basketball will start on time. And the growing assumption among decision-makers is that second-semester, conference-only schedules are a real possibility.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom