Status
Not open for further replies.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
ykq3iuthy0ecnvtwkuu5_normal.jpeg
Brian Hamilton (@BrianHamiltonSI)
5/4/14, 4:59 PM
New Big Ten/Big East hoops series, to be announced Monday, will be tipoff/first week event. Called Gavitt Games, honoring late Dave Gavitt.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
No.

I'm betting it's a four-team, one night kind of deal at MSG.

Reaction Score
Sounds like its supposed to be a on-campus series played in the first week of the season. Big Ten/ACC challenge will be kept as well since there's no scheduling conflict.

Might mean fewer pre-season tourney appearances though.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
The question is are they ending their event with the ACC?

ESPN just announced the schedule for the ACC/Big Ten Challenge next year. I'm guessing that this one with the Big Ten and Big East will be on FOX since the Big East is on FOX.

Reaction Score
Let's move this to the basketball board. Unless you still believe the ACC will be taking Georgetown.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
ESPN just announced the schedule for the ACC/Big Ten Challenge next year. I'm guessing that this one with the Big Ten and Big East will be on FOX since the Big East is on FOX.

Had you read 'n article instead just interjecting your normal horse s---, you'd already know the answer. But answers are not your strong suit...

You're wasting our bandwidth.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Should I bump old threads, or can this thread serve as the "I told you so" thread?

Reaction Score
nelsonmuntz said:
Should I bump old threads, or can this thread serve as the "I told you so" thread?

Well done.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I am so stoked for the Seton Hall-Rutgers battle for NJ supremacy! HAHAHA! Sorry but these games lack the same punch that it would have had maybe two years ago...What match-ups really are interesting? They're all going to be in-state rivalries of some kind seeing how the article stated that the two conferences basically overlap. So....

Seton Hall - Rutgers
Maryland - Georgetown
Penn St - Villanova
Ohio St - Xavier
Nebraska - Creighton
Indiana/Purdue - Butler
Northwestern - DePaul
Wisconsin - Marquette

St. John's and Providence get left out? Or play a Michigan team?

What on that possible list really jumps out as an exciting game?

Reaction Score
DePaul-NW
SHU-RU
Purdue-Butler

PRIME TIME MATCHUPS

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I am so stoked for the Seton Hall-Rutgers battle for NJ supremacy! HAHAHA! Sorry but these games lack the same punch that it would have had maybe two years ago...What match-ups really are interesting? They're all going to be in-state rivalries of some kind seeing how the article stated that the two conferences basically overlap. So....

Seton Hall - Rutgers
Maryland - Georgetown
Penn St - Villanova
Ohio St - Xavier
Nebraska - Creighton
Indiana/Purdue - Butler
Northwestern - DePaul
Wisconsin - Marquette

If nothing else, we'll add a matchup for SJU and PC!

Reaction Score

Seton Hall - Rutgers
Maryland - Georgetown
Penn St - Villanova
Ohio St - Xavier
Nebraska - Creighton
Indiana/Purdue - Butler
Northwestern - DePaul
Wisconsin - Marquette

When UConn joins the B1G it sets up UConn-Providence or UConn-St. Johns. Take your pick. . .

Reaction Score
Not a shock considering the common footprint, it's also a very good idea, esp in the : save money in travel expenses department:

These potential match ups are in-state or very close in geography:

SHall - Rutgers

Xavier - OSU

Butler - IU or Purdue

Marquette - Wisconsin

DePaul - Illinois or NW

Creighton - Neb

Villanova - PSU

As maybe someone else stated on here, the BIG-ACC Challenge stays the course.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The Big East is considered a major for basketball purposes.

Reaction Score
The more I think about this, it seems Jim Delany has a strategy to enter the East Coast besides Rutgers and Maryland.

First, look at the geographical overlap: Rutgers/Seton Hall/St. John's, Penn St./Villanova, Maryland/Georgetown, Ohio St./Xavier, Indiana/Butler, Wisconsin/Marquette, Nebraska/Creighton, Northwestern/Illinois/DePaul. This is a natural rivalry set up. But, it seems like there is more to this.

Remember how the ACC announced an A10 basketball scheduling agreement when they grabbed the Barclay's Center for a couple of ACC basketball tournaments? Seems like the Big 10 could be looking to develop a relationship with the Big East to grab MSG for a basketball tournament as well.

In addition, both the Big East and Big 10 are tied in with Fox and Big 10 Network is majority owned by Fox. I think you will see BE basketball games on Fox in the future. This also could be part of a strategy to get the Big Ten Network into NY basic cable. Imagine if the BTN starts showing a number of St. John's and Seton Hall basketball games each year. This would make the BTN more attractive in NYC and New Jersey. Or, Georgetown basketball games on the BTN. Makes the BTN more attractive in DC for basic cable. (Big 10 adds UConn and put some Providence basketball games on the BTN and you own much of New England.)

This will be interesting to see if my hunches come true, but Delany and the Big 10 are clearly more strategic than Swofford and the ACC. The ACC could have locked up the East Coast by adding Rutgers and UConn and hanging on to Maryland, three state flagship universities. Instead, they added a private school in upstate, the second tier state university in Pennsylvania, and a public city university in Kentucky. What were they thinking?

Reaction Score
The more I think about this, it seems Jim Delany has a strategy to enter the East Coast besides Rutgers and Maryland.

First, look at the geographical overlap: Rutgers/Seton Hall/St. John's, Penn St./Villanova, Maryland/Georgetown, Ohio St./Xavier, Indiana/Butler, Wisconsin/Marquette, Nebraska/Creighton, Northwestern/Illinois/DePaul. This is a natural rivalry set up. But, it seems like there is more to this.

Remember how the ACC announced an A10 basketball scheduling agreement when they grabbed the Barclay's Center for a couple of ACC basketball tournaments? Seems like the Big 10 could be looking to develop a relationship with the Big East to grab MSG for a basketball tournament as well.

In addition, both the Big East and Big 10 are tied in with Fox and Big 10 Network is majority owned by Fox. I think you will see BE basketball games on Fox in the future. This also could be part of a strategy to get the Big Ten Network into NY basic cable. Imagine if the BTN starts showing a number of St. John's and Seton Hall basketball games each year. This would make the BTN more attractive in NYC and New Jersey. Or, Georgetown basketball games on the BTN. Makes the BTN more attractive in DC for basic cable. (Big 10 adds UConn and put some Providence basketball games on the BTN and you own much of New England.)

This will be interesting to see if my hunches come true, but Delany and the Big 10 are clearly more strategic than Swofford and the ACC. The ACC could have locked up the East Coast by adding Rutgers and UConn and hanging on to Maryland, three state flagship universities. Instead, they added a private school in upstate, the second tier state university in Pennsylvania, and a public city university in Kentucky. What were they thinking?

I think the Big Ten approach is 2-pronged here:

(1) East Coast Presence (micro-level) - There's some truth to what you're stating here about the Big Ten continuing to find opportunities to expand its East Coast presence (although whether that means further EXPANSION is a different matter). That's evident in much of what the Big Ten has been doing since the Maryland/Rutgers expansion, such as signing up for the Pinstripe Bowl, opening an NYC office, etc.

(2) Improving Early-season Basketball (macro-level) - Outside of conference realignment, Jim Delany (who, if you remember, played basketball at UNC under Dean Smith) has actually been very vocal about how little value early season basketball games (both for TV and fans) are providing right now. That isn't really a B1G-centric issue, but rather one that applies to the entire universe of college basketball across-the-board where he sees the first month of the regular season as essentially a waste (which impacts TV deals and channels like the Big Ten Network). If the Pac-12 hadn't pulled out of its partnership with the Big Ten a couple of years ago, then this B1G/Big East Challenge would have instead been the B1G/Pac-12 Challenge. Delany had also suggested moving some conference basketball games to earlier in the season in order to improve the quality of that portion of the schedule.

So, I think this challenge addresses both of those issues. If push came to shove, I do think that the latter is extremely important to Delany specifically, as there definitely would have been a B1G/Pac-12 Challenge instead if that partnership had continued (which is obviously the complete opposite coast from the Big East).

Reaction Score

(1) East Coast Presence (micro-level) - There's some truth to what you're stating here about the Big Ten continuing to find opportunities to expand its East Coast presence (although whether that means further EXPANSION is a different matter). That's evident in much of what the Big Ten has been doing since the Maryland/Rutgers expansion, such as signing up for the Pinstripe Bowl, opening an NYC office, etc.

(2) Improving Early-season Basketball (macro-level) - Outside of conference realignment, Jim Delany (who, if you remember, played basketball at UNC under Dean Smith) has actually been very vocal about how little value early season basketball games (both for TV and fans) are providing right now. That isn't really a B1G-centric issue, but rather one that applies to the entire universe of college basketball across-the-board where he sees the first month of the regular season as essentially a waste (which impacts TV deals and channels like the Big Ten Network). If the Pac-12 hadn't pulled out of its partnership with the Big Ten a couple of years ago, then this B1G/Big East Challenge would have instead been the B1G/Pac-12 Challenge. Delany had also suggested moving some conference basketball games to earlier in the season in order to improve the quality of that portion of the schedule.

So, I think this challenge addresses both of those issues. If push came to shove, I do think that the latter is extremely important to Delany specifically, as there definitely would have been a B1G/Pac-12 Challenge instead if that partnership had continued (which is obviously the complete opposite coast from the Big East).

Frank - I wouldn't be shocked to hear sometime in the near future that the B1G will also rotate their tournament to MSG as part of this deal. I know the B1G will never give up their Indiana/Chicago roots but having the tournament at MSG every 3rd or 4th year will continue to expand the East Coat penetration the B1G desires

Reaction Score

I think both of you are merely underscoring with more technicality what I said in my previous post. This challenge is actually a no-brainer, though I didn't see it coming.

I'm not sure the Pac12 is solely to blame for the proposed BIG-Pac12 partnership, though media perception may suggest otherwise. Such a proposed partnership was, my opinion, partly based on last ditch efforts to get ND - that ship is thankfully gone.

Interestingly, Kirk Ferentz was on the BT radio show last week discussing the various new football schedules amongst the P5. He made it quite clear he has no interest in scheduling non-conference games with Pac12 schools in the Pacific Time Zone - too much hardship on logistics, which absolutely makes sense. I know Iowa played a home and home with one of the AZ schools recently, maybe Ferentz was using this experience as a platform to outline his discontent with whatever happened in that series, outside the field performances. Perhaps he's not the only BIG coach who felt the same way. For most Olympic sports, this partnership would have been quite costly.

At the end of the day, Delany would have gotten his way, esp if ND would have joined because of this partnership. But this failed partnership, though not entirely off the table, outlines a major & underrated discussion in alignment - travel expenses. An issue I feel causes Big12 schools & the Pac12 to think expansion options more carefully. The Pac12 has the most spread out geography amongst the P5s, esp in terms of auto transport. Throw in challenged time zones in the grand scheme of tv ratings as well. The CSZ and ESZ's can crossover and capture ratings much better than the PST & MSTs - in terms of national ratings & branding.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
I'm going on the record that the Big East negotiated this deal by giving the B1G rotating access to MSG for their tourney.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I'm going on the record that the Big East negotiated this deal by giving the B1G rotating access to MSG for their tourney.

I agree 100%. That will be the big B1G announcement in the next 60 days. As for how it affects UCONN, I have no idea. On one hand, you can say that the B1G was able to access MSG without UCONN. On the other hand, you can say if the B1G was truly interested in NYC basketball games, it needs the other half of the two-headed NYC monster (UCONN and Syracuse) to complete the deal.

Reaction Score
Frank - I wouldn't be shocked to hear sometime in the near future that the B1G will also rotate their tournament to MSG as part of this deal. I know the B1G will never give up their Indiana/Chicago roots but having the tournament at MSG every 3rd or 4th year will continue to expand the East Coat penetration the B1G desires

Actually, I'd be VERY shocked if that were the case. I know a lot of people here think that the Big East is in a weak position on conference realignment matters, but there's really no reason why the Big East would do that with such a long-term ironclad agreement with MSG. This is much different from the A-10 situation where they would have been booted down the line from The Barclays Center if they didn't play ball with the ACC. (Note that the A-10 signed a contract to be back in that venue after the ACC has its 2-year run there, but that was only agreed after they made the concessions to the ACC.) MSG is pretty sacred to the Big East - that league has a very large part of their identity wrapped up on that *specific* venue, so I don't think they're letting the Big Ten in there at all. Sure, it would be great as a Big Ten fan to see the league get into MSG, but I can't really see why the Big East would do that in exchange for some regular season games. If there's an outside entity involved here, it would be much more likely to be Fox as opposed to MSG.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
frankthetank said:
Actually, I'd be VERY shocked if that were the case. I know a lot of people here think that the Big East is in a weak position on conference realignment matters, but there's really no reason why the Big East would do that with such a long-term ironclad agreement with MSG. This is much different from the A-10 situation where they would have been booted down the line from The Barclays Center if they didn't play ball with the ACC. (Note that the A-10 signed a contract to be back in that venue after the ACC has its 2-year run there, but that was only agreed after they made the concessions to the ACC.) MSG is pretty sacred to the Big East - that league has a very large part of their identity wrapped up on that *specific* venue, so I don't think they're letting the Big Ten in there at all. Sure, it would be great as a Big Ten fan to see the league get into MSG, but I can't really see why the Big East would do that in exchange for some regular season games. If there's an outside entity involved here, it would be much more likely to be Fox as opposed to MSG.

It's because of things like this, I wished there was a way the AAC (old BE) didn't need to sell the brand and MSG contract to the Catholic League (new BE). The magic of the BE/MSG relationship ended when the power teams left or in UConn case, abandoned. What folks might think of as power brands (Gtown, Nova, StJ) at that venue, just aren't and can't sell out the place anymore.

As the Diceman would say, "We needed THE MONEY!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104