B1G at 14 or 16, UConn yes or no? Vote here. | Page 3 | The Boneyard

B1G at 14 or 16, UConn yes or no? Vote here.

Who will be in the B1G in the next 5 years?

• B1G at 16 with UConn and North Carolina.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • B1G at 16 with Texas and Oklahoma.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You are correct that the hate is irrational. You appear to understand that CR has been irrational to UConn fans. Although the reasons for RU's inclusion in CR are clear to most posters here, that doesn't make it any more tolerable for UConn fans. To keep spouting reasons for RU's success, and their imaginary long successful and continuing athletic prowess, is basically like waving a red cape in front of a bull. UConn believes that it is superior to Rutgers in many ways, whether it is true or not, and it is doubtful that that philosophy will ever change.
Yes buddy I usually don't let myself get baited/personal on this subject and would generally let it pass but i had a few last light in a moment of weakness and allowed myself to bite! I thought of just deleting the whole "conversation" but whats the use? I can understand and relate to that thinking after all were all just fans and think like one! I have to check myself better when indulging as I try not to offend unintentionally the board lol.Oh yeah and I would like to apologize to all my UConn friends and fans here if I disappointed them! I'm certainly disappointed in myself.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yeah RUConn,I let myself be dragged into a pizziing match last night after having a few lol...I considered a major deletion this morning! Should I?
Yes I do remember now that you've refreshed my memory(which isn't as sharp as I'd like) RegUConn....I think it was me you told at least I'm 1 of them!

Reaction Score
Rutgers is a good school so is UConn I think pairing both of them together would be great for the big. It will take both of them to capture NYC. NYC sounds a lot like Chicago there both pro sports towns. Im a Illinois fan so I don't have much to cheer about but when Illinois is good they can fill any stadium or arena in Chicago. I think with the big paychecks UConn can keep doing what it has for the past 20 yrs winning basketball championships and build a solid football program Rutgers can compete with Penn st and Ohio St. when it comes to football and recruiting it wont happen overnight but I think it can be done but it will take both programs to capture NYC. Delaney knows this he seen it first hand when UConn beat Mich ST

Reaction Score
Rutgers is a good school so is UConn I think pairing both of them together would be great for the big. It will take both of them to capture NYC. NYC sounds a lot like Chicago there both pro sports towns. Im a Illinois fan so I don't have much to cheer about but when Illinois is good they can fill any stadium or arena in Chicago. I think with the big paychecks UConn can keep doing what it has for the past 20 yrs winning basketball championships and build a solid football program Rutgers can compete with Penn st and Ohio St. when it comes to football and recruiting it wont happen overnight but I think it can be done but it will take both programs to capture NYC. Delaney knows this he seen it first hand when UConn beat Mich ST
I would assume you're aware JD grew up outside Newark and went to HS in Newark at St Benedicts I believe so know's what happens when RU win's here.But unfortunately NY area folks are bandwagoners and will jump on or off in a NY minute but RU does have a loyal solid base to grow on and thats why along with being actually in the NYC/NJ market there B1G with Philly to the south ...RU NEVER cared about the ACC much and I'm pretty sure they knew it!! If any State U has a market as good its UConn(NYC/Boston) so that and the fact I'm a fan of LOCAL NE FB I always pull for the area teams unless their playing RU. I'm not a big fan of the local privates though as they've collabarated on keeping us down too long now! The worm is turning. I agree the B1G should only take those that WANT in and not beg anyone to the south.For 90% of the RU fans I knew it was B1G or bust!

Reaction Score
UConn and Kansas. Union (B1G) vs the Confederacy (SEC). I can see TV going nuts over this north vs south angle.

I'd say there's no way UVA will join the B1G. WAY too southern. The old money in VA has southern ties. They'd culturally fit in well with the SEC.

Reaction Score
UConn and Kansas. Union (B1G) vs the Confederacy (SEC). I can see TV going nuts over this north vs south angle.

I'd say there's no way UVA will join the B1G. WAY too southern. The old money in VA has southern ties. They'd culturally fit in well with the SEC.
Yeah Butch,still associating everything into historical term's! UConn can assist the North like Gen. Quantrill in the civil war against the Missoura Redleg's!! Funny wasn't his base in Lawrence,Kansas?

Reaction Score
Yeah Butch,still associating everything into historical term's! UConn can assist the North like Gen. Quantrill in the civil war against the Missoura Redleg's!! Funny wasn't his base in Lawrence,Kansas?
I barely remember anything about the Civil War. But I do think the north/south rivalry is something that will remain for a long time. The B1G/SEC rivalry will only keep it going.

Going back to the colonial times, CT was still better than VA. At least there were communities here. VA was plantations. But very rich plantations. There were also rich people up here but you don't find as many fancy buildings going back to the 1700s.

Reaction Score
I barely remember anything about the Civil War. But I do think the north/south rivalry is something that will remain for a long time. The B1G/SEC rivalry will only keep it going.

Going back to the colonial times, CT was still better than VA. At least there were communities here. VA was plantations. But very rich plantations. There were also rich people up here but you don't find as many fancy buildings going back to the 1700s.
I do love the way you think and the interesting angle that North-South bitter rivalry/feud will bring out esp on TV saturdays creating B1G time interest even beyond just football for many folks(make it political lol). Love it the refighting of the CV on the FB field on TV in primetime spots...people in homes and bars would go insane!!

Reaction Score
Easy there Nicky, Quantrill was a Confederate, operated out of Missouri (sometimes raided in Kansas, though), and the "redlegs" were unionists out of Kansas.

Reaction Score
Easy there Nicky, Quantrill was a Confederate, operated out of Missouri (sometimes raided in Kansas, though), and the "redlegs" were unionists out of Kansas.
Hey RegisteredUConn Butch is the real history guy here but I do love the CV era and the fringers like John Brown and family and his raid on the Virginia arsenal and the Quantrill group but yes even as a Clint Eastwood fan I do remember the "Redlegs" WERE YANKEE militia no? I think some associate them with Missoura? Kansas always seemed to me solid Yankee Baptist/Presbyterian/Lutheran strict for some reason!?! Either way its got to stir passion on both sides(or conferences) lol!

Reaction Score
Many in north Florida and Georgia etc. still call the Civil War the "War of Northern Aggression". So, there is still some animosity passed down among those with deep southern roots. However, with northerners flooding the south in massive numbers, that can't last long.

Reaction Score
Many in north Florida and Georgia etc. still call the Civil War the "War of Northern Aggression". So, there is still some animosity passed down among those with deep southern roots. However, with northerners flooding the south in massive numbers, that can't last long.
Seem's the transplants from the midwest and NE are drowning the "old boy" culture and soon or maybe already except in the most rural of counties Jim Crowe is a memory of days gone by. Maybe we can get someone informed whose lived down there but is originally from up north to give us his opinion!?!

Reaction Score
Seem's the transplants from the midwest and NE are drowning the "old boy" culture and soon or maybe already except in the most rural of counties Jim Crowe is a memory of days gone by. Maybe we can get someone informed whose lived down there but is originally from up north to give us his opinion!?!

I was born and raised near Pittsburgh, but have lived in Baton Rouge since 1983. I can't tell you about the Carolinas, but in the Deep South, the "anti-Yankee" sentiment is alive and well.

People here don't have much use for the North or for the people who live there.

They have zero respect for any football program in the North and the Midwest, including but not limited to the Big Ten.

They are football people and don't consider basketball a major factor in realignment, at all.

Reaction Score
I was born and raised near Pittsburgh, but have lived in Baton Rouge since 1983. I can't tell you about the Carolinas, but in the Deep South, the "anti-Yankee" sentiment is alive and well.

People here don't have much use for the North or for the people who live there.

They have zero respect for any football program in the North and the Midwest, including but not limited to the Big Ten.

They are football people and don't consider basketball a major factor in realignment, at all.
Thats about what i expected...the southern culture need's to be King Williamed out or by an overwhelming influx of yankees' like in Fla and N.Va and more recently the Carolinas especially N.Carolina where northerners are becoming more numerous than the natives!!! The culture down there dies hard with a vengance so that even most native blacks buy in. Funny Terry because the Acadian culture down there is a transplanted Prince Edward Island and Nova Scotian french culture ousted by the Scottish Canadian's or my forebears on my dads side. Some even walked back to the maratimes 200 yrs ago through a terribly harsh wilderness they missed it so much!! Hardy folks those Cajuns.

Reaction Score
We live in Richmond, VA (obviously by the name), capital of the Confederacy etc. The "old boy" culture is alive and well.....just like it is in Hartford and every other city on the east coast. You end up earning your transplanted place over a period of time. Everyone is friendly and polite but you're held at arms length for quite sometime.
The "edge" we Northerners have gets slowly rubbed off....you realize people are people regardless of where they grew up. Stereotypes, on both sides...slow speech patterns or a drawl doesn't = stupid. Quite the contrary. Tradition is valued here, history as well.
The farther you move out of the most populated areas in Central VA and Virginia Beach, well, that is a different story. Finally, the transplants form the NE and Mid West aren't drowning anything, certainly not the culture. Most of them have adapted and like the differences from N to S.

Reaction Score
We live in Richmond, VA (obviously by the name), capital of the Confederacy etc. The "old boy" culture is alive and well.....just like it is in Hartford and every other city on the east coast. You end up earning your transplanted place over a period of time. Everyone is friendly and polite but you're held at arms length for quite sometime.
The "edge" we Northerners have gets slowly rubbed off....you realize people are people regardless of where they grew up. Stereotypes, on both sides...slow speech patterns or a drawl doesn't = stupid. Quite the contrary. Tradition is valued here, history as well.
The farther you move out of the most populated areas in Central VA and Virginia Beach, well, that is a different story. Finally, the transplants form the NE and Mid West aren't drowning anything, certainly not the culture. Most of them have adapted and like the differences from N to S.
Yes thats the feedback I got from most of(except the oldest) my 86 relatives that moved since "70" from the NE to either the Carolinas or Fla...I even said to a cousin with a FB page why he called Orlando,Fla his hometown when he was born and raised up north?I thought he was brainwashed!! He admits its seductive(southern culture/acceptance)though his generation will never really be accepted though his kids will most likely. I myself enjoyed the Okie style culture I found in the San Fernando Valley in California but found southerners less accepting than even the most arrogant of Texans even though we were culturally similar(Scots-Irish celtic)but I was sorta accepted by them I knew most were'nt by word and deed though admittedly I'm talking 35+ years ago! I read in a local newspaper recently over 50% of N.J.erseyans plan to retire in a southerly trend rather than in NJ. But as you said we adjust as people to just about anything esp with tax breaks lol.

Reaction Score
So UVA is not going to the B1G. Thank you for confirming!

Reaction Score
Yes thats the feedback I got from most of(except the oldest) my 86 relatives that moved since "70" from the NE to either the Carolinas or Fla...I even said to a cousin with a FB page why he called Orlando,Fla his hometown when he was born and raised up north?I thought he was brainwashed!! He admits its seductive(southern culture/acceptance)though his generation will never really be accepted though his kids will most likely. I myself enjoyed the Okie style culture I found in the San Fernando Valley in California but found southerners less accepting than even the most arrogant of Texans even though we were culturally similar(Scots-Irish celtic)but I was sorta accepted by them I knew most were'nt by word and deed though admittedly I'm talking 35+ years ago! I read in a local newspaper recently over 50% of N.J.erseyans plan to retire in a southerly trend rather than in NJ. But as you said we adjust as people to just about anything esp with tax breaks lol.
I'd move out of New Jersey as well....sound decision on he 50%

Reaction Score
I'd move out of New Jersey as well....sound decision on he 50%
I did myself ("to NYC and then Albany region") as they in NJ,LI and Conn usually have the top or 2nd wealthiest household's in the nation by per capita income and southerners come up to beg/entice them to come(with there money) to bargain basement tax break states(u know) and it works with those less wealthy or loyal!Btw, Seen many Broadway shows down there recently? Are you a "Dapper Dan" guy like G.Clooney in "O' brother where art thou"? Do they mass communicate in you're corner of greater Richmond?

Reaction Score
I did myself ("to NYC and then Albany region") as they in NJ,LI and Conn usually have the top or 2nd wealthiest household's in the nation by per capita income and southerners come up to beg/entice them to come(with there money) to bargain basement tax break states(u know) and it works with those less wealthy or loyal!Btw, Seen many Broadway shows down there recently? Are you a "Dapper Dan" guy like G.Clooney in "O' brother where art thou"? Do they mass communicate in you're corner of greater Richmond?
Funny. It works for "those less wealthy or loyal"???? Really, taxes drive economic growth, higher they are the quicker the mass outflow of talent and revenue. Loyal to what? Those who run state deficits and increase taxes...sound plan right there. We have a balanced budget requirement...yesterday they cut $800m out of the budget because the revenue projections declined...got any of that up there? Nah

Yes we do see Broadway plays...actually, that's really the only thing I miss of the Northeast other than a few friends and family. We would go into the city two or three times a year to see a show. We get there once a year now and settle for the roadshows.

As to the dapper dan....Clooney comment, that's why they don't like you all down here! Mass communicate.....when my 23 year old son was in 4th grade...go ahead and do the math to get the year, I'll wait...the entire county school system was wired for Laptops for each 4th grader and through high school. That is roughly, 30,000 students. Virtually the entire curriculum is online, all work is done on the machine. How many do you have? So I guess we have a handle on mass communication.

Fun!

Reaction Score
Funny. It works for "those less wealthy or loyal"???? Really, taxes drive economic growth, higher they are the quicker the mass outflow of talent and revenue. Loyal to what? Those who run state deficits and increase taxes...sound plan right there. We have a balanced budget requirement...yesterday they cut $800m out of the budget because the revenue projections declined...got any of that up there? Nah

Yes we do see Broadway plays...actually, that's really the only thing I miss of the Northeast other than a few friends and family. We would go into the city two or three times a year to see a show. We get there once a year now and settle for the roadshows.

As to the dapper dan....Clooney comment, that's why they don't like you all down here! Mass communicate.....when my 23 year old son was in 4th grade...go ahead and do the math to get the year, I'll wait...the entire county school system was wired for Laptops for each 4th grader and through high school. That is roughly, 30,000 students. Virtually the entire curriculum is online, all work is done on the machine. How many do you have? So I guess we have a handle on mass communication.

Fun!
Just checking to see if you still retained you're necessary sense of humor...people are gonna be people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom