B1G at 14 or 16, UConn yes or no? Vote here. | The Boneyard

B1G at 14 or 16, UConn yes or no? Vote here.

Who will be in the B1G in the next 5 years?

• B1G at 16 with UConn and North Carolina.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • B1G at 16 with Texas and Oklahoma.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
For the reasonably hopeful future, until UConn begins to decompose in the AAC, let's say 5 years for the sake of argument, will the Huskies be in the B1G? If the B1G goes to 16 in that timeframe, who will be the two schools?

Reaction Score
How's about adding two choices:

B1G at 15 UCONN only (deregulation choice)
B1G at 16 with UCONN (partner unknown)
I was going to add those two but ran out of space to place options. I decided to use a choice for UNC/UVA and one for Texas/Oklahoma because both were bandied about during the recent thread and I wondered if they had some actual support. Neither has generated any actual interest so far and I'm beginning to regret not offering the two you suggested.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I was going to add those two but ran out of space to place options. I decided to use a choice for UNC/UVA and one for Texas/Oklahoma because both were bandied about during the recent thread and I wondered if they had some actual support. Neither has generated any actual interest so far and I'm beginning to regret not offering the two you suggested.

Meh, it's all speculative anyway. I'm a B1G half full kind of guy and think (hope!) UCONN will get tapped in the next 3-5 years. I just don't have any idea whatsoever what, if any, partner they would expand with. You could make a fairly reasonable case for Missouri, Vanderbilt, Kansas, UNC, UVA, Texas, Oklahoma, even ND. Heck, you could make a reasonable case for any 2 of those schools without UCONN too. I just don't (read: refuse to) believe UCONN does not offer great value to the B1G conference with what they are trying to accomplish (eastward movement, large public universities with good academics, add championships, add TV sets, etc).

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
How about adding a choice for B1G at 18 teams with UConn, Kansas, Oklahoma and Texas?

If a B12 nuclear winter takes place, it's definitely plausible...

Reaction Score
Meh, it's all speculative anyway. I'm a B1G half full kind of guy and think (hope!) UCONN will get tapped in the next 3-5 years. I just don't have any idea whatsoever what, if any, partner they would expand with. You could make a fairly reasonable case for Missouri, Vanderbilt, Kansas, UNC, UVA, Texas, Oklahoma, even ND. Heck, you could make a reasonable case for any 2 of those schools without UCONN too. I just don't (read: refuse to) believe UCONN does not offer great value to the B1G conference with what they are trying to accomplish (eastward movement, large public universities with good academics, add championships, add TV sets, etc).
I can see some rationale for each of you possibles except Vandy. They are academically attractive but what else? Not public, not state flagship, not even contiguous, are they? What makes them pretty to the B1G in your opinion.

Dooley

Reaction Score
I can see some rationale for each of you possibles except Vandy. They are academically attractive but what else? Not public, not state flagship, not even contiguous, are they? What makes them pretty to the B1G in your opinion.

Football recruiting. But I admit that they are an extreme longshot. In my opinion, I'd say the ideal B1G expansion to 20 would: UCONN, Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, UVA, and Notre Dame. I'm not saying that any of this will happen. I just personally think that these schools make the most sense for B1G expansion. It would improve football recruiting, basketball, academics and add a boatload of TV sets.

pj

Reaction Score
I think at this point the UConn for 15 and wait makes the most sense. It finishes the east coast build out, advertises that they are going to expand again, and gives ACC and B12 schools plenty of team to think about whether they want to be among the chosen, or in the leftovers of their leagues, when B1G expansion comes around at the expiration of their TV contracts. The B1G can sit back and see which schools contact them.

The only major problem is the football scheduling. It would probably require going to a 10-game schedule, or else making UConn a junior partner playing an extra league game (or one less league game) until #16 arrived.

Reaction Score
I think at this point the UConn for 15 and wait makes the most sense. It finishes the east coast build out, advertises that they are going to expand again, and gives ACC and B12 schools plenty of team to think about whether they want to be among the chosen, or in the leftovers of their leagues, when B1G expansion comes around at the expiration of their TV contracts. The B1G can sit back and see which schools contact them.

The only major problem is the football scheduling. It would probably require going to a 10-game schedule, or else making UConn a junior partner playing an extra league game (or one less league game) until #16 arrived.
Had I not been forced to jettison my B1G at 15 with UConn, this would have been at least my second choice. I strongly believe VA is coming, just not sure if 5 years is enough time to crowbar them out of the ACC.

Dooley

Reaction Score

I would vote this way too. Adding UCONN now makes more sense since it would give UCONN time to elevate the football program to B1G standards. UCONN has the young, exciting coach in place and a history of decent success pre-Pasqualoni. You replace an AAC schedule with a B1G schedule and this area goes absolutely bonkers for football season tickets. You can set up regional and flex scheduling arrangements until the B12 or ACC GORs start to expire (or a school in those conferences decide to challenge it and leave). Heck, you can invite UCONN as a part-time football member (full time everything else) until they get their 16th member. 5 or so games against the B1G and 7 filler games is better than anything we'll play with a full-time AAC schedule.

Adding UCONN now also makes sense for B1G basketball. If the conference truly wants to play games at MSG, having a local team with a history of making MSG money in its ranks would give MSG officials something to think about when weighing Big East vs. B1G basketball. Yes, the B1G conference tournament would sell-out MSG even without UCONN. But that wouldn't necessarily mean that MSG officials would opt in nor does it mean that the appropriate level of buzz required for a conference hoops tournament at the World's Most Famous Arena would be achieved without UCONN. MSG can mark-up ticket prices and know that UCONN fans would justify the price by buying up whatever. Also, the marketing of the event in the area only captures attention and buzz with a local team in the field. Yes, Wisconsin vs Michigan State would sell out the Garden. But if you pit UCONN up against either of those teams, well now you have must-see entertainment and UCONN's huge NYC presence will generate the proper buzz needed for a big hoops game at MSG (similar to the pre-game buzz about NCAA Regional ticket prices). It's always much easier to promote a sporting event that includes a local team...especially one with a looooooong history of success and support in the area. The B1G will not get that from Rutgers.

Reaction Score
My personal #1 would be; ND & UCONN.

The Domer cry would be glorious, and I think that would effectively end B1G expansion forever. As stated, moves that destabilize the BXII (KU) or ACC (UVA, etc) would only lead to MORE schools. 18, 20, etc etc. I'd like to avoid that.

If ND will truly never EVER EEEEVER come, then KU & UCONN would be #2, so #1 for this poll.

I've decided (((in this hypothetical universe of CR lunacy))) that if the B1G MUST go to 18 I'd rather it be UCONN > KU > OU > TX. ACC needs to stay in-tact, IMO. Let ND keep their d-ick in the tail-pipe and never fully join. Screw UNC and UVA. I'd much rather have TX & OU. Two all-time great FBall blue-bloods, and UCONN and KU bring the hoops. I'm done with the schools only added for eyeballs. I'd like some power ala NEB/PSU additions.

If the B1G ends up in GA with GT and FL with Free $hoes U., I'm quitting the tronz.

Seriously tho, imagine a B1G that's 'western front' runs from NEB > KU > OU > TX. Talk about "regionalizing" a Conference. The SEC would be completely surrounded by the B1G, with nowhere else to go as the ACC has been fortified. TX would be the only split state, unless they took ISU, OKST, KSU, etc etc., but they are much poorer little brothers. I guess I could see OKST going SEC, not sure about others. We would totally engulf them.

TX and up thru the Plains States, Midwest/Great Lakes, Northeast, NYC and Mid-Atlantic = Pwn3d

B1Gmap_zps064d684d.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I believe there's still some wiggle room at how many teams (and who) the Big Ten winds up with, but I believe firmly that they will not be at 14 when 2017 rolls around.

Reaction Score
Fishy has gone on record numerous times saying in effect UConn is not going to the B1G.
I Don't think he has ever stated a reason.
Could it be that he has info we are either locked out or going to another P5?
Whatever it is I can deal with it.
I will state my case as I have always suggested the B1G should be our destiny.
The Con's of UConn to the Big in my opinion are as follows:
1. There is no compelling reason for conferences to expand futher .
2. If there is further expansion ,it will most likely result in a P5 falling apart which moves us back in the order
This will have a positive effect of making G5 conferences stronger.
3. UConn specific preventing inclusion in the B1G are:
A. Although we are a state flag ship we are small by their standards with a smaller alumini base
B. We are not AAU
C. Our endowment is tiny,even compared to other AAC schools.
D. Although we have a long football history our FSB portion is relatively short.
The Pro 's of UConn
1. The state of Connecticut is owned by UConn alone.
Market pentration for basketball approaches the most wildly partisan states.
With a secondary market in a un represented New England.
Just as I would watch and Favor,Me, NH,VT, or RI playing at the FCS game.The majority of their fans will back Connecticut playing at a National level.
If you don't believe this when UConn had long odds in the FF teams every New England state backed the Huskies. When push comes to shove wer're all homers.
A winning football team will achieve similar pentration in a state staved for an Identy. You may be a NY or Boston fan but as much as we love those teams they lack our common address .
Winning football played against recognizable named schools will be the hottest ticket the state has ever seen.
2. Conn. is densely populated and strategically placed between a huge under represented market and a large poorly represented market. As a westerner I view the entire state as a single metropolis.( it is smaller than Maricopa County ,greater Phoenix)
The entire state should be viewed as the campus domain,thats why talk of an on campus stadium is moot.
3. UConn has an incredible winning tracdition in BB and other sports only lack of foresight have preventing football from taking off..
4. Connecticut is an extremely accessable state., close to alumni bases for many
The recruiting issue slways amused me especially when New Jesey is used in the same sentence. As though
,parents driving a couple of hours to watch their kids play is so much of a burden.
5. The adminstration has idedentified the majority of the cons and has a plan to address them.
5.If we could equate the B1G and the ACC as opponents in a struggle Conn. Is straticially important ,maybe even the key to North East dominance.

Reaction Score
I am more and more leaning to the fact that UConn be the first choice, even though I am not quite ready to pull the trigger for an odd 15. I believe that UVA and UNC had their chance, and while I think that a second should be open, they should only be considered for the 16th spot or beyond. My thinking is this: You don't change school's mind any more than people's. You may bribe or flatter them to get them to like or accept you, but then you have appealed to their weaker side-not more nobler one-and should not be surprised if the ending is not a happy one. ;)

The feedback on the Kansas boards are positive about the Big Ten, which cannot be a bad sign. I have recently moved Kansas ahead of Virginia recently based on what I have heard (but cannot prove) about Virginia's lack of interest of leaving the ACC. More power to them.

As time passes, upgrades at Buffalo improve its chances. They need a little help from the NY legislature to make them a bona-fide State Flagship a la Rutgers, UConn and a whole host of other Big Ten Universities.

Taking revenue, academics, location, travel, research and common mission, there are probably around a dozen schools that could work with the Big Ten for decades. Due to location, I will go "out there" and I say that I doubt that the Big Ten ever links up mega-population states Florida and Texas. And North Carolina and Oklahoma are out a wee bit further than people think. Contiguous is not absolutely necessary, but close-in a new state-is better (with all things equal).

Reaction Score

Theres nothing like "pressure" to gain the upper hand!! Wise thought pj ..its why I follow you and Dooleys posts! Seems we think similarly.

Reaction Score

The Domer cry would be glorious, and I think that would effectively end B1G expansion forever. As stated, moves that destabilize the BXII (KU) or ACC (UVA, etc) would only lead to MORE schools. 18, 20, etc etc. I'd like to avoid that.

If ND will truly never EVER EEEEVER come, then KU & UCONN would be #2, so #1 for this poll.

I've decided (((in this hypothetical universe of CR lunacy))) that if the B1G MUST go to 18 I'd rather it be UCONN > KU > OU > TX. ACC needs to stay in-tact, IMO. Let ND keep their d-ick in the tail-pipe and never fully join. Screw UNC and UVA. I'd much rather have TX & OU. Two all-time great FBall blue-bloods, and UCONN and KU bring the hoops. I'm done with the schools only added for eyeballs. I'd like some power ala NEB/PSU additions.

If the B1G ends up in GA with GT and FL with Free $hoes U., I'm quitting the tronz.

Seriously tho, imagine a B1G that's 'western front' runs from NEB > KU > OU > TX. Talk about "regionalizing" a Conference. The SEC would be completely surrounded by the B1G, with nowhere else to go as the ACC has been fortified. TX would be the only split state, unless they took ISU, OKST, KSU, etc etc., but they are much poorer little brothers. I guess I could see OKST going SEC, not sure about others. We would totally engulf them.

TX and up thru the Plains States, Midwest/Great Lakes, Northeast, NYC and Mid-Atlantic. Pwn3d.
I also hate the thought of any conference blowing up past 16 and expand for expansions sake! Thats why I love the B1G with its traditional feel...its like a ritzy exclusive club "for members only"!! Sorta has a "special" appeal.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
I also hate the thought of any conference blowing up past 16 and expand for expansions sake! Thats why I love the B1G with its traditional feel...its like a ritzy exclusive club "for members only"!! Sorta has a "special" appeal.
No offense, that club recently became far less exclusive and far less Ritzy

Reaction Score
No offense, that club recently became far less exclusive and far less Ritzy
So I'll assume you think like the anti-UConn faction off the ACC thinks when you guys were left at the alter and now have no desire to go B1G? That UConn wasn't sexy enough for the lowly ACC but "L'ville was?? Which school/schools do you think lowered the standards? And you just graduated UConn in "13"? I thought UConn grads had class and higher standard's than this kind of uppity talk? Think here before you post such arrogant trash!

Reaction Score
Fishy has gone on record numerous times saying in effect UConn is not going to the B1G.
I Don't think he has ever stated a reason.
Could it be that he has info we are either locked out or going to another P5?

I don't think Fishy has any inside info on the subject, just a general pessimism because of the cons you laid out, and the fact that absolutely nothing has gone UConn's way in CR, so it's pretty safe to keep that bet riding.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
So I'll assume you think like the anti-UConn faction off the ACC thinks when you guys were left at the alter and now have no desire to go B1G? That UConn wasn't s e xy enough for the lowly ACC but "L'ville was?? Which school/schools do you think lowered the standards? And you just graduated UConn in "13"? I thought UConn grads had class and higher standard's than this kind of uppity talk? Think here before you post such arrogant trash!
I may have misread the thread but I was referring to the Big10. I hate Rutgers , Maryland and our situation. I take every opportunity to strike out at Rutgers and that was my intent. The big10 became far less ritzy and exclusive with their addition.

And although I did indeed graduate from Uconn in 2013, I haven't been a student on campus since 1990. That gave me plenty of time to become uppity, arrogant and classless.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don't think Fishy has any inside info on the subject, just a general pessimism because of the cons you laid out, and the fact that absolutely nothing has gone UConn's way in CR, so it's pretty safe to keep that bet riding.
For you military history buffs George Washington lost almost all the battles but somehow managed to win the war.
Two reasons, fortitude and the French.
I'm sure we have the fortitude ,what we need is the French.

Reaction Score

If ND will truly never EVER EEEEVER come
, then KU & UCONN would be #2, so #1 for this poll.

TX and up thru the Plains States, Midwest/Great Lakes, Northeast, NYC and Mid-Atlantic. Pwn3d.

ND is not coming to the Big Ten, so your vote for something else is a good one.

I highlighted the word "imagine" because that is the only way I see Texas and Oklahoma joining the Big Ten, in your imagination.

What evidence, clue, hint, indicia or fragment of reality can you cite that indicates that those schools have any interest in fighting a GOR, leaving the Big 12 and joining the Big Ten?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I may have misread the thread but I was referring to the Big10. I hate Rutgers , Maryland and our situation. I take every opportunity to strike out at Rutgers and that was my intent. The big10 became far less ritzy and inclusive with their addition.

And although I did indeed graduate from Uconn in 2013, I haven't been a student on campus since 1990. That gave me plenty of time to become uppity, arrogant and classless.
We'll I'll buy that kind of honesty but remember even you realize its out of hate not rational! RU is and has been a longtime B1G target for reasons quite different than you're opinion. Remember not long ago you guys were yankee conference in CFB! The B1G is all about old time tradition's and snobbiness and RU outside of Texas and ND was found to bring more value than anyone else vetted by their research team in Chicago after a 2 yr study of 15 schools/candidates..sure geography was a major part of it but NJ is where they've always been so thank or blame there colonial founders.

Reaction Score
For you military history buffs George Washington lost almost all the battles but somehow managed to win the war.
Two reasons, fortitude and the French.
I'm sure we have the fortitude ,what we need is the French.
Hmmm sounds familiar to me? Oh yeah Vietnam ring a bell? We won almost if not every battle but left w/o winning! The French had problems there too..French Indo-China?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom