B12 to 16? WVU fans seem to think it's possible | Page 2 | The Boneyard

B12 to 16? WVU fans seem to think it's possible

Status
Not open for further replies.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
SNL Kagen, the top tier media consultants in this space, are estimating a 200% increase in cable fees by 2017 (triple the 2011 price) and 100% in broadcast (double the 2011 price).

The Media biz is preparing for streaming a la carte while slowly and surely squeezing the cable companies little necks . NBC is looking for the NBC Sports Network to increase the value of an NBC programming package which will become the new norm. I think they need college sports to help close the deal. CNBC, AE, USA, SciFi, and MSNBC Sports.

Kagen estimates ESPN is pulling down over 15X the carraige fees NBC Sports gets when it launches tomorrow.

NBC Sports is in talks with the NFL for a new time slot, etc

Programming this first year will lean heavily on the Olympics, 38 regular-season Major League Soccer games, 13 IndyCar Series races, 14 hours a day of Tour de France coverage for most of July, 90 regular-season NHL games along with 50 NHL playoff games, 20 hours of horse-racing coverage around the Triple Crown, and 40 college football, basketball, and hockey games

The thing is, they don't have to pay champagne prices for the BE for it to be the best deal out there for the BE. The fear is that Sports talk shows as filler will pull better nationally than SMU v UCF football or basketball and weak BE basketall matchups lose to the Lingerie League on MTV2.

Reaction Score
I find your take on a lot of this stuff indecipherable.

We have no power where we are. We're heading towards being a member of a feckless association of schools that are at best tolerating each other. There is no power or respect there. Zero - the most 'influential' school in this new association will have no influence over anything of note.

The new New Big East means the certain diminishment of our athletic program.

Certain diminishment? That sounds awful. :eek:

First of all, we've been part of this feckless association of schools that are at best tolerating each other since 1979. You get dizzy counting all the schools and athletic programs that have come and gone in the past 32 years, and even more dizzy when you start counting all the programs that have tried to join the group and didn't.

The most influential school in this feckless association of schools is Notre Dame, and they didn't get in until 1995, and don't even compete in all sports. Maybe you meant a different most influential school, but ND most definitely has influence of things of note. Power, respect? The media? The big east in football at least, is still the black sheep for ESPN, and will be for at least another two years, until the broadcasting contracts run out in 2013, including the CBS contract too. They have a hard time pumping ACC basketball as easily as they do football compared to the Big EAst, and this is nothing new since 2003.

When the big east goes up for sale in 2013? That's when things get real interesting. As long as we end up making at least as much money as we do now, there's no diminishment, and if we can up our annual intake of money? That seems like a positive thing, and it seems like it would be really hard to secure a broadcasting contract that pays less than we get right now. But anything's possible. And - if we can really rack something good together? That's the goal.

So, what has changed since last new years? Nothing. What has happened during the year? The big east almost died, and then recovered. Other than that unfortunate business, nothing is different from 2010 to 2011 to 2012. The change that was supposed to happen, TCU joining, didn't happen. Things will be different in 2013, and 2014 though, but a lot can happen in that time.

The only way our athletic programs face 'certain diminishment' is if we start recruiting like and losing a lot of games. Neither of which has happened, or appears to be happening any time soon, regardless of conference affiliation, and in fact, looks a lot better since last new years.

Feckless association of schools tolerating. I like that. TheBig FAST conference.

Reaction Score
Fishy is right imo. Maybe not to that level of certainty, but clearly the hoops programs are at risk as the landscape changes.

I actually think there is a scenario underwhich the football programm is helped for a period of time as that program continues in its development.

Reaction Score

First of all, we've been part of this feckless association of schools that are at best tolerating each other since 1979. You get dizzy counting all the schools and athletic programs that have come and gone in the past 32 years, and even more dizzy when you start counting all the programs that have tried to join the group and didn't.

The most influential school in this feckless association of schools is Notre Dame, and they didn't get in until 1995, and don't even compete in all sports. Maybe you meant a different most influential school, but ND most definitely has influence of things of note. Power, respect? The media? The big east in football at least, is still the black sheep for ESPN, and will be for at least another two years, until the broadcasting contracts run out in 2013, including the CBS contract too. They have a hard time pumping ACC basketball as easily as they do football compared to the Big EAst, and this is nothing new since 2003.

When the big east goes up for sale in 2013? That's when things get real interesting. As long as we end up making at least as much money as we do now, there's no diminishment, and if we can up our annual intake of money? That seems like a positive thing, and it seems like it would be really hard to secure a broadcasting contract that pays less than we get right now. But anything's possible. And - if we can really rack something good together? That's the goal.

So, what has changed since last new years? Nothing. What has happened during the year? The big east almost died, and then recovered. Other than that unfortunate business, nothing is different from 2010 to 2011 to 2012. The change that was supposed to happen, TCU joining, didn't happen. Things will be different in 2013, and 2014 though, but a lot can happen in that time.

The only way our athletic programs face 'certain diminishment' is if we start recruiting like and losing a lot of games. Neither of which has happened, or appears to be happening any time soon, regardless of conference affiliation, and in fact, looks a lot better since last new years.

Feckless association of schools tolerating. I like that. TheBig FAST conference.
In case you haven't noticed, there have been numerous changes in the Big East since 1979. Fishy is correct in saying that ALL programs at Big East schools will take a hit if there is no BCS automatic qualifier. To consider ND a true part of the Big East is your first mistake. We wouldn't be losing anyone if that were the case.

Reaction Score
I just don't see the doom and gloom scenarios being realistic at all. UConn has built itself up into a nationally known athletic program and university. That's not all going to magically disappear because we are in a conference with Boise St. and Houston instead of Pitt and Syracuse like some of you seem to believe. The Big East is not going to become the MAC or even CUSA or the MW just because we've added some non AQ programs. The Big East will get a BCS AQ level TV deal because it is a BCS AQ conference.

Reaction Score
I just don't see the doom and gloom scenarios being realistic at all. UConn has built itself up into a nationally known athletic program and university. That's not all going to magically disappear because we are in a conference with Boise St. and Houston instead of Pitt and Syracuse like some of you seem to believe. The Big East is not going to become the MAC or even CUSA or the MW just because we've added some non AQ programs. The Big East will get a BCS AQ level TV deal because it is a BCS AQ conference.

Half of the Big East is now former CUSA and MW teams...

Reaction Score
Half of the Big East is now former CUSA and MW teams...

So what? We were an 8 team league with Louisville, Cincy, and USF plus UConn having moved up from FCS since the last raid. We were still BCS then with only 4 traditional programs. The Big East has always been a basketball conference with a football conference grafted onto it. That is what it is and will always be. The only original BE member to have left is BC and now Syracuse. All of the others were later additions to UConn and it's hoops brethren. Houston and SMU both used to be in the same conference as all of the Big 12 schools from Texas and were often competitive with those schools. Boise St. has made themselves nationally relevant. It's just not as bad as you people want to make it seem.

Reaction Score
Its a real slow new year's day so here I go doing what I just said I wanted to avoid. BSU, SMU, and HOU staying power is of marginal benefit to Uconn at best. If the BE gets a HUGE contract, which I for one doubt, the additional money is good but as so many here claim when the topic is SYR of BC to the ACC, it takes more than money to sustain an athletic program. It takes interest in the games. I may be very wrong but I just don't see the average CT fan having much interest in most of the new rivals.

John, I don't think the average CT fan has very much sophistication when it comes to college football. Not the same way the average fan gets basketball. Uconn has never been an elite player in football. The average CT home football game is filled with contests, commercials, songs - anything to keep the fans entertained. The average fan is not interested in Pitt or Syracuse or BC football. In fact, I would go as far as to say that no one anywhere is interested in Pitt, Syracuse or BC football. Our #1 threat to the program is losing seasons. CT fans do not have enough loyalty to the program to support it through more than a couple of losing seasons in a row. CT fans are not as concerned with our new rivals. The only good thing about Syracuse and Pitt football was that we could beat them regularly. If we can beat Houston, SMU and Boise (which I tend to doubt) all will be well. If we can't, yeah, we have a big problem with our new rivals.

Reaction Score
Losing the BCS-AQ status in the current environment, certainly would be a problem, but to this day, nobody has ever shown me how a conference can lose BCS-AQ status once a group of football teams has it as a conference. So it's a pointless statement. The media like to yap about it, but the fact is that the only way BCS-AQ status is lost, is if the BCS itself goes away, or a conference that plays in a BCS-AQ conference simply dissolves all of their football programs. Neither of which are happening any time soon.

1-A football compeition level existed before it was called FBS/BCS/AQ BS, and it will continue at that level when the alphabet soup is gone. It's all about money. Money money money.

I responded to a message that said nothing about the BCS-AQ status, or basketball success from Fishy..... only that the new big east would lead to 'certain diminshment' of uconn athletics.

Maybe i misinterpreted it, being about uconn athletics, but that's what I thought it said. Didn't seem to be talking about all big east schools in that message. anyway.

First of all, money. Football is the money making driving factor in college sports. Always has been, always will be. The financial success of an athletic department at a university, or an athletic league of universities, is directly tied to the competition level and health of the football programs. Not only that, more importantly - the growth potential of an individual athletic department, or an athletic conference, is directly related to football programs. This is what Lew Perkins identified in his first study and report on 1-A football at UConn way back in 1990.

Coming to grips with this fact, this realization that football is what determines how financially successful and big basketball programs can be, is what the big east conference, and I think even leadership at our own university is going through the fire learning right now, so many years late for the big east conference.

The success of the big east as a conference, is directly tied to beginning the play of football in 1991 at 1-A level. The growth potential of the uconn athletic department, and in turn how that affects the growth of the university as a whole, is directly tied to the upgrade to 1-A football that was set into motion finally in 1997.

It's taken the big east conference to nearly die, TWICE, for them to realize it over in Providence. Without football, there is no big east conference basketball at the top level of intercollegiate sports anymore. The uconn athletic department, with all of it's basketball dominance over the years, is finally realizing it, too, and it's probably not easy for a big time fellow over there with offices under the Gampel dome to realize that the continued success of the basketball dynasty he built is directly tied to what happens on the gridiron at a facility in East Hartford.

I have many faults with Randy Edsall, most when it came to coaching, but the man understood football, and it's role in the intercollegiate world, and I believe it frustrated him to no end, that during his years, it probably didn't sink in with administration in athletic department and university, as we're winning national championships left and right in basketball and raking in the ncaa tournament money as a member of the big east (and that's wehre the money in men's b-ball is - the tourney - not in broadcasting), but the guy wasn't a very good communicator either.

Lew Perkins, looked at the intercollegiate world, and realized that the ceiling that our athletic department could reach was limited by football in 1990, when the basketball program had just had it's very first miracle season, and Gampel pavilion had not yet hosted a basketball game. Providing an environemtn where the basketball programs could thrive, was a major, major part of why he was so concerned with making an upgrade happen.

This school is committed to being at the level we are at, we are in much better position than other big east colleges financially, and with our fan support in ticket sales and market share in broadcasting. If the big east goes away tomorrow, UConn will have scheduling problems, but we will be fine.

Division 1-A football existed before the BCS, and did just fine. It will exist and be just fine when the BCS doesn't exist again. We will still be part of it, and we were very, very smart to upgrade and join the club, and now that we're in, we're not going away.

The success of our athletic programs rides on the ability to recruit successfully to compete at the level we want to compete at. Recruits ultimately choose a school because of the coaches, and the level of competition they see around them, not the conference affiliation. This is something that the UConn b-ball programs will be facing a hard reality in not too long time from now. It's nice to have the shiny toys and big sports cathedrals, but players come because of coaches, and level of competition.

Coach P said it simply when he first arrived at Rentschler. Players want to go where they see other good players going. Jim Calhoun and Geno Auriemma, most certainly would agree, I think.

THe big east conference almost died in 2011. Would we be better off if it had? Are we better off in a different conference? Maybe. Maybe not. It makes for good discussion, talking about it. But conferences come and go.

Competition does not.

THe only thing that's for sure, is that if football had taken priority over basketball at the conference level of leadership a decade ago, when we were winnign a national championship in football for the Big East, we wouldn't have to travel as far for intercollegiate sports within our league now.

Reaction Score
John, I don't think the average CT fan has very much sophistication when it comes to college football. Not the same way the average fan gets basketball. Uconn has never been an elite player in football. The average CT home football game is filled with contests, commercials, songs - anything to keep the fans entertained. The average fan is not interested in Pitt or Syracuse or BC football. In fact, I would go as far as to say that no one anywhere is interested in Pitt, Syracuse or BC football. Our #1 threat to the program is losing seasons. CT fans do not have enough loyalty to the program to support it through more than a couple of losing seasons in a row. CT fans are not as concerned with our new rivals. The only good thing about Syracuse and Pitt football was that we could beat them regularly. If we can beat Houston, SMU and Boise (which I tend to doubt) all will be well. If we can't, yeah, we have a big problem with our new rivals.

This is the case, for most of the millions of people in CT that support UConn athletics. They're just getting the very very first taste of football, and I have no doubt whatsoever, that the band wagon for a top 25 football program would be absolutely incredible.

The success of the basketball programs and the following for the University they've created are to thank for that.

Reaction Score
BTW - I realize that the big east was hugely successful in the 1980s. The NCAA as an organization though, ended the existence of single sports conferences in the 1990s.

Conferences come and go. Competition, adn the level of competition does not.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I don't know how better to make the point than this.

Here are the 2003 Big East football standings...

1. Miami
2. West Virginia
3. Pittsburgh
4. Virginia Tech
5. Boston College
6. Syracuse
7. Rutgers
8. Temple

We have basically lived off of the AQ status of that conference, but it no longer exists. What will replace it is no longer big nor east and it will generate much, much less revenue in relation to its peers than that conference did....and that conference was deemed too weak to thrive.

We're bringing in some good football programs - hopefully, they'll still be good when they get here. But they're not programs that are going to drive us to some sort of competitive or financial parity with the top five conferences. That gate has swung shut.

Reaction Score

1. Miami
2. West Virginia
3. Pittsburgh
4. Virginia Tech
5. Boston College
6. Syracuse
7. Rutgers
8. Temple

We have basically lived off of the AQ status of that conference, but it no longer exists. What will replace it is no longer big nor east and it will generate much, much less revenue in relation to its peers than that conference did....and that conference was deemed too weak to thrive.

We're bringing in some good football programs - hopefully, they'll still be good when they get here. But they're not programs that are going to drive us to some sort of competitive or financial parity with the top five conferences. That gate has swung shut.

Hey, man. At least we still have Rutgers.....Louisville had some good seasons before they joined the league and Houston and SMU have competed with some of the biggest traditional powers there are. Boise has been top ten for damn near the last decade. We'll be OK.

Reaction Score

1. Miami
2. West Virginia
3. Pittsburgh
4. Virginia Tech
5. Boston College
6. Syracuse
7. Rutgers
8. Temple

How do you keep your message count down to 437? Does it reset each week?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
It's just 437...the brilliance contained within each one makes it seem like more.

I appreciate your optimism, Hartbeat, even if I don't share it.

Reaction Score
It's just 437...the brilliance contained within each one makes it seem like more.

And I appreciate your pessimism. However, I don't share it. UConn athletics will not be sucked into a black hole because we lost some traditional conference mates.

Reaction Score

That has to be it!!! I can't argue.

To the substance of your post, of course that 2003 line-up, derisively referred to by many as the Big Least, looks better than what is being assembled right now. No question. But we have to remember that Uconn's upgrade was part of the reason real football programs wanted out at the first opportunity. Miami and company wanted out because of the general weakness of BE football. Shalala didn't want Miami to have to be the constant renegade propping up the league. When Miami bailed, everyone else wanted out too, but we were part of the reason. Us, RU, Temple - everyone else wanted to get away from these programs. We have to build our program and win our respect, and not moan and groan about that fact that we didn't get included this round. And we have to remain optimistic.

Reaction Score

1. Miami
2. West Virginia
3. Pittsburgh
4. Virginia Tech
5. Boston College
6. Syracuse
7. Rutgers
8. Temple

No, hold on. We (the big east) have lived off of AQ status, because the leaders, even if they hated doing it at the time, were smart enough in 1991 to form a football conference and get a seat at the table when the first Bowl Alliance, or whatever that first incarnation fo the BCS as called - was formed. There is no provision in this bastard of on an organzation called the BCS that states how any of those founding members lose AQ status for the bowl games involved. There's rules about increasing membership, but nothing about losing it, and if that changes, you can guarantee that the whole system goes away.

And who deemed the conference was too weak to thrive? It seems to me that other conferences aren't going to be looking for programs that they think are going to drag them down, which btw - is why certain ACC members fought against BC joining.

You're absolutely right, that there's not much that's being done that will effect - THE MEDIA - perception of the big east, and we might be a late to the table with what we're bringing to land a really nice broadcasting rights deal.

But as for level of competition? Tehre's only one thing in reality that matters, and that's recruiting, and recruiting is about coaches, adn players seeing level of competition around them. Yes - a football player in high school automatically knows that in the SEC, or the ACC, the level of compeition is higher than it is in the big east.....

or is it really?

Reaction Score
That has to be it!!! I can't argue.

To the substance of your post, of course that 2003 line-up, derisively referred to by many as the Big Least, looks better than what is being assembled right now. No question. But we have to remember that Uconn's upgrade was part of the reason real football programs wanted out at the first opportunity. Miami and company wanted out because of the general weakness of BE football. Shalala didn't want Miami to have to be the constant renegade propping up the league. When Miami bailed, everyone else wanted out too, but we were part of the reason. Us, RU, Temple - everyone else wanted to get away from these programs. We have to build our program and win our respect, and not moan and groan about that fact that we didn't get included this round. And we have to remain optimistic.

Miami left because....well how can I say this succinctly......it's january 5, 2002, Miami had just won a national championship in football by beating Nebraska, and the big east leadership essentially did nothing to promote football, and did nothing to recognize the importance of what had just happened for the conference - everyone in leadership at the big east is more concerned, that January 2002, about the start of big east basketball season, so Miami big wigs said, duck this, we're outta here.

The ACC, oddly enough, starts having expansion discussions later that year, and in early 2003.....the invites go out to Miami and Virginia Tech.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
It goes back earlier than 2002. The Big East was a bus stop, a port in the storm, for schools like Miami when they joined in 1991.

Dependng on who you believe, Tranghese, Swofford and the ACC discussed several scenarios in 1997-1998 leading up to the 1998 BCS deal. The discussions were far ranging from a Footall merger to ACC expansion w/3 teams of select football schools (Miami and SU were prominent for obvious reasons then and Tranghese denies inolvement in that part ) which the ACC ADs voted down. That was the start of the due diligence.

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2003-05-24/news/0305240264_1_tranghese-acc-s-commissioner-swofford

http://articles.courant.com/2003-06...big-east-acc-acc-president-acc-expansion-plan

UConn's upgrade was inconsequential. It was the opportunity to reopen the ACC contract and add a championship game that made it happen. For Miami it was a no brainer given the geography. It was what they wanted in 1991.

In hindsight, if they took West Virginia instead of BC they'd still be at 12 teams today (IMHO) and have a coherent regional footprint and more respect than fussing around with local politics and academia and half assed market creep into the North.

The good news: by 2016 they will want to re-open their contract again.

Reaction Score
Correct, there was goofing around by the Big EAst and ACC all along, but the response, well - essentially non-response by the conference after the media backlash to Miami beating Nebraska for the national title in what was then - the fourth BCS national championship game was the nail in the coffin. The big boys in college football, that so very much like the BCS now, were pissed off that the big east won a national championship, in fact the traditional big boy football conferences had a grand total of four participants out of 10 teams in the first FIVE BCS national championship games.

In 1999 - the BCS national championship game featured and ACC team vs. a Big East team. Can you imagine?!!

The "big boy" conferences weren't happy and the big east conference leadership didn't give a about football.

Miami had enough.

I'm reasonably sure, that by 2011, the big east conference leadership finally gets the importance of football, when it comes to survival of their basketball baby as an adult.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, the bickering back and forth between the big east and acc around football shifted the college football landscape of perception such that neither the ACC or the Big East has yet been able to recover in football.

And college football is that unique sport on the entire planet, where public perception fits into post season games and determining national championships.

We really need a playoff system, and the big east can really make up for all the damage it has done to college football, by leading the way toward a playoff system.

Reaction Score

This is incredibly wrong. This conference had commong goals and progress through most of its history. It was formed to be a basketball conference and it succeeded. Than it formed a football conference that was meant to be good enough that it's basketball league wouldn't lose members and it succeeded again. It only became a collection of schools with disparate interests in the last decade when hoops money became insignificant compared to football money.

This confernece was not formed and developed irrationally. Unfortunately, market forces evolved in a manner that made rational and successful moves no longer work.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The market had nothing to do with the Big East's problems. When you lay down with dogs, you get fleas. There have been a lot of dogs in the Big East over the years. This hasn't happened to other leagues because their constituent institutions are not run by scumbags, like BCU, Miami, Pitt, Syracuse and WVU.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
I applaud any one who can properly use the word "feckless" in a post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom