B12 Related - Why is UConn's brand so tainted? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

B12 Related - Why is UConn's brand so tainted?

Reaction Score
UConn has a great athletics brand, but football became a dumpster fire after Edsall 1.0. Remember, UConn didn't start to play FBS football until recently and were an up and coming football program which peaked with the Fiesta Bowl. Then, 3 bad coaching hires, a terrible record, and a G5 conference. You also have to factor in UConn admissions which tied the coaches hands. That problem seems to have been rectified.

It takes time to rebuild the football brand and the first step was hiring Mora, the second step was allowing more use of the portal, and then winning games.

Reaction Score
Recency bias in a TikTok world.

Getting left at the altar also hurt our reputation more than if we hadn't been considered in the first place.

Look at how people on the internet talk about Memphis and you'll see why the Twitter world general consensus is just a hive mind of dumb ideas. Memphis is historically one of the worst FBS programs, were relevant in basketball for a hot second, and they're a dumpy little commuter school. But people act shocked that they're not in a power conference because they had a couple flash in the pan football seasons.

Reaction Score
What is the most well-known (and most sought-after for in-state high school seniors) college in the state of Ohio? Ohio State. State of Michigan? Michigan. State of Pennsylvania? Penn State. State of Texas? Texas. State of Alabama? Alabama. State of Oklahoma? OU. Yes, in North Carolina Duke may trump UNC, and Cal is as well regarded as Stanford, and Northwestern as well regarded as Illinois and U. of Chicago..

But here in New England, there is no way the land-grant state universities can compete with their private counterparts for attention or status. New Hampshire cannot compete with Dartmouth; URI with Brown or RISD; UMass with Harvard, BC, or BU; UConn with Yale, Wesleyan or Trinity.

That is why UConn does not command the same attention/affiliation from Connecticut's population as the midwestern/southern/southwestern public schools.

This is from a dyed-in-the-wool UConn graduate. Full disclosure: I have an MBA from Harvard (please don't call me a hypocrite. I always root for UConn over Harvard.)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Good troll, UConn is well known throughout the US to sports fans. Good god man we just one the NCAA national championship in basketball.
Ever noticed how always low post count posters with these gloom and doom posts?

Reaction Score
I think UConn's brand is fine. The Huskies are respected in most of their primary sports and the one exception, football, is on the way back. CT is just a small state in a pro sports centric part of the country. It doesn't help that those that went before us really haven't delivered the promised markets. BC didn't deliver New England (or even most of Massachusetts) to the ACC. Syracuse didn't deliver NY. Rutgers hasn't delivered NY for the Big 10 either. I think leagues and their fans are skittish about any school in the Northeast providing signficant penetration beyond its primary market.

Reaction Score
We will be fine. Rephrase: we are fine. We just won a 5th national championship in 24 years.

The entire B12 has won 3 over the same period (2 Kansas/1Baylor).

The Big10 has a grand total of 1 22 years ago.

Throw in the Women who basically put W BB on the map.

Throw in a resurgent football program.

Throw in a top 20 baseball team.

If a P5 is too stupid to take us, we will just keep kicking their rear ends and embarrassing them. Eph them all. We play with chips on our shoulders.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Bottom line is that the sport that drives the bus in realignment is the one we have royally screwed up on at the wrong times. All the momentum we had after the Fiesta Bowl left when RE left for MD and then the ACC made their final move and we got relegated to the AAC. Then, we destroy the entire program under Diaco and RE 2.0 and now we are not desirable because no one really values the sport we are, and have always been, dominant in, basketball. Mora has something going and hopefully the Big 12 is willing to take the risk that he can really get things going with Big 12 affiliation.

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
I think UConn's brand is fine. The Huskies are respected in most of their primary sports and the one exception, football, is on the way back. CT is just a small state in a pro sports centric part of the country. It doesn't help that those that went before us really haven't delivered the promised markets. BC didn't deliver New England (or even most of Massachusetts) to the ACC. Syracuse didn't deliver NY. Rutgers hasn't delivered NY for the Big 10 either. I think leagues and their fans are skittish about any school in the Northeast providing signficant penetration beyond its primary market.
I agree with this but I think it's also a reason why the Big 12 is our best hope at this point. The ACC and B1G have all the NE presence they need. Whether they made the right moves (BC) is on them, but they are in the markets. The Big 12 is no where near the Northeast and the best school to make in roads there is UConn. Outside of our basketball team and slowly rising football team, it's the biggest reason we're on the Big 12 radar IMO.

Reaction Score
BC didn't deliver New England (or even most of Massachusetts) to the ACC. Syracuse didn't deliver NY. Rutgers hasn't delivered NY for the Big 10 either. I think leagues and their fans are skittish about any school in the Northeast providing signficant penetration beyond its primary market.
Because those are schools that never win anything. It's like that in pro sports too. If the team sucks it will generally have a low following and engagement. Do the conferences think people are going to get excited about a school's number of PhDs or the total federal research expenditure? Somewhere along the way athletic conferences made athletics secondary such that having teams that win was not that important anymore, so they chase all of these other factors and then wonder why no one cares about their teams.

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
Because those are schools that never win anything. It's like that in pro sports too. If the team sucks it will generally have a low following and engagement. Do the conferences think people are going to get excited about a school's number of PhDs or the total federal research expenditure? Somewhere along the way athletic conferences made athletics secondary such that having teams that win was not that important anymore, so they chase all of these other factors and then wonder why no one cares about their teams.
I'll add to this and say Rutgers did EXACTLY what the B1G wanted. It put their network on a boat load of cable boxes in the NYC market. Don't forget that when they were added, TV markets and cable boxes still mattered. The B1G didn't care about success, they just wanted the money that the NYC market could bring. If anything, they added Rutgers because they knew they were so inept that they basically just gave them the NYC market access without ever being a threat to their main programs' success.

Reaction Score
No matter what we do, no matter how many bball championships, no matter the progress shown in football, based on what i'm seeing aroudn the internet, it really seems like UConn's athletic brand simply does not make a dent with people. Folks outside our immediate fanbase/community, are not excited about us, and thus us being a part of their favorite team's conference. And utlimately, that's what drives eyeballs and thus $$ - regardless of actual on-the-field success.

i'm a relatively new fan, so i'm so confused by the lukewarm reception. What happened to us, that has made this brand so difficult to position positively on a NATIONAL stage?
I know we're powerful in the Big East (a fairly local bball conference), but again - my question is about NATIONAL.

if someone has a fact/historical based explanation, i'd love some context & enlightenment, because this just doesn't make sense why college sports fans (FB/basketball) across the country find us boring/offensive/beneath them.

What i've seen so far:
  • ACC has never wanted us and still doesn't, even though it's the perfect geographic fit and member profile (i.e. schools and matchups make the most sense for us, within P5)
  • B1G has probably never heard of UConn (who?)
  • SEC has prob never heard of the state of Connecticut, much less UConn
  • Pac12 just doesn't make sense, so didn't look around for threads/chats on that potential relationship
  • Big 12 - only possible connection, but fans across the conference hate us/the idea of this happening.
UConn’s Brand is fine. It’s never been stronger. Sit back and enjoy the ride. Should be another fantastic year of UConn athletics. UConn is the premier attic program in the Northeast.

Reaction Score
So BYU, UCF, and Houston were all big time schools and their move to a P5 before us is just getting them back to where they were before we were FBS?
UCF and Houston deserved the call up.
I was referring to the likes of Wake, Minnesota, Missouri, etc.
Boise State deserved it too. Guess they’re tainted too.
Good call on Rutgers but we all know they only “deserved” it cause they’re parked right next to NYC

Reaction Score
UConn is in a tough spot. On one hand the school needs to show solidarity with the conference that they are currently a part of, as there are no guarantees in conference realignment. On the other hand, your PR Dept should be Tweeting out positive information regarding UConn Sports, Facilities, and Academics on a non-stop basis. Get a charm offensive going.

The ignorance regarding both your athletic accomplishments and the overall quality of the school's academic reputation is eye opening. I've always had an interest in the business side of sports, so I read a number of other teams' boards. I've been trying to fight the good fight for you guys on The Kansas 247 Sports Board, but I haven't found much success LOL. Some of their fans see a parallel to their own program. Strong basketball, rebuilding football, state school etc. A few even remarked that if things went differently around a decade ago, that they could have ended up in a similar spot as you guys are in now.

Unfortunately, the overwhelming majority dismiss the school out of hand. The biggest disqualifier in their comments is they don't want any more G5 Schools in the conference. They completely ignore the fact that UConn has a very similar profile to their own school. If you mention that UConn actually has more National Titles than Kansas in the one sport that they truly care about, it will be meet with a lot of rapidly moving goalposts. The immediate pivot becomes Final Four appearances or all-time winning percentage. When I mention that UConn is a Public Ivy and strong research institution, it is quickly countered with questions about USNWR Rankings or AAU Status. It's fairly maddening. I wish you guys all the best, and I'm hoping against hope that you get the chance to prove to all of the snobbish P5 non-believers what you can do against their schools on the fields and courts with an even footing.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
UConn is in a tough spot. On one hand the school needs to show solidarity with the conference that they are currently a part of, as there are no guarantees in conference realignment. On the other hand, your PR Dept should be Tweeting out positive information regarding UConn Sports, Facilities, and Academics on a non-stop basis. Get a charm offensive going.

The ignorance regarding both your athletic accomplishments and the overall quality of the school's academic reputation is eye opening. I've always had an interest in the business side of sports, so I read a number of other teams' boards. I've been trying to fight the good fight for you guys on The Kansas 247 Sports Board, but I haven't found much success LOL. Some of their fans see a parallel to their own program. Strong basketball, rebuilding football, state school etc. A few even remarked that if things went differently around a decade ago that they could have ended up in a similar spot as you guys are in now.

Unfortunately, the overwhelming majority dismiss the school out of hand. The biggest disqualifier in their comments is they don't want any more G5 Schools in the conference. They completely ignore the fact that UConn has a very similar profile to their own school. If you mention that UConn actually has more National Titles than Kansas in the one sport that they truly care about, it will be meet with a lot of rapidly moving goalposts. The immediate pivot becomes Final Four appearances or all-time winning percentage. When I mention that UConn is a Public Ivy and strong research institution it is met with USNWR Rankings or AAU Status. It's fairly maddening.
You can always point out that Kansas State has not won a single national championship in any sport. Then you got the UCF fans who think they are somehow better than UConn. It's craziness. I'm sure most fans are more open minded about UConn but some of the online folks are way out there.

Reaction Score
You can always point out that Kansas State has not won a single national championship in any sport. Then you got the UCF fans who think they are somehow better than UConn. It's craziness. I'm sure most fans are more open minded about UConn but some of the online folks are way out there.
Hard to believe, but UCF went from C-USA to AAC to Big 12 in the span of a decade while we went Old Big East to AAC to New Big East in that same time frame. One school is ascendant, the other is descendant in terms of conference affiliation.

Reaction Score
Hard to believe, but UCF went from C-USA to AAC to Big 12 in the span of a decade while we went Old Big East to AAC to New Big East in that same time frame. One school is ascendant, the other is descendant in terms of conference affiliation.
I give UCF credit for actually going from Independent in 2001 and even the MAC in 2004 to getting to the Big 12, although this Big 12 isn't the same Big 12 of Texas, Oklahoma, Nebraska, etc. UCF's location is the key. I wouldn't say UConn has descended. UConn has made only one move in all that time, from the AAC to the New Big East and Independent in Football. UConn's path certainly is unique but that's part of the charm. :cool:

Reaction Score

The ignorance regarding both your athletic accomplishments and the overall quality of the school's academic reputation is eye opening. I've always had an interest in the business side of sports, so I read a number of other teams' boards. I've been trying to fight the good fight for you guys on The Kansas 247 Sports Board, but I haven't found much success LOL. Some of their fans see a parallel to their own program. Strong basketball, rebuilding football, state school etc. A few even remarked that if things went differently around a decade ago, that they could have ended up in a similar spot as you guys are in now.

Unfortunately, the overwhelming majority dismiss the school out of hand. The biggest disqualifier in their comments is they don't want any more G5 Schools in the conference. They completely ignore the fact that UConn has a very similar profile to their own school. If you mention that UConn actually has more National Titles than Kansas in the one sport that they truly care about, it will be meet with a lot of rapidly moving goalposts. The immediate pivot becomes Final Four appearances or all-time winning percentage. When I mention that UConn is a Public Ivy and strong research institution, it is quickly countered with questions about USNWR Rankings or AAU Status. It's fairly maddening. I wish you guys all the best, and I'm hoping against hope that you get the chance to prove to all of the snobbish P5 non-believers what you can do against their schools on the fields and courts with an even footing.

I read some of these same comments too. The sheer ignorance on those boards about UConn is mind boggling. In many ways, it is a reflection of America in general. If you traveled a bit internationally, you will realise the sheer amount of ignorance average Americans about the world is on another level.

I stopped reading these boards since as an UConn alum, the ignorance is beginning to hurt my brain cells.

Reaction Score
Ultimately, the networks pay the bills for conference realignment...

So it is national viewers that are prized when coughing up money for additions.

And football brings in-season viewing in millions for the better matches every week and is valued, basketball less so...and non revenue not at all.

Duke and UNC are two of the most watched BB programs every year...do they really swing the needle for these programs without football viewing ?

UConn now is like where my alma mater was in the 1970's. A relatively new blood trying to compete with old blood brands with a 100 year head start...the B1G, SEC, etc...

A competitive football brand can be built, but it will take time and success on the field....

Folks need to see UConn on the football schedule and say "hey, this is a game I want to watch".

Reaction Score
Very nice write up! A couple of clarifications:

ESPN didn't do an analysis that Pitt brought the same value, ESPN just said we will give you the same media rights payment whether you take Pitt or UConn. If at that point in time Connecticut based ESPN says take Connecticut, the ACC does and our narrative changes dramatically.

Regarding Clemson and FSU's push for Louisville rather than Connecticut, the narrative at the time was that FSU in particular was annoyed about the Syracuse and Pittsburgh additions which they considered to be "basketball adds" and wanted to push back against the Tobacco Road leader ship of the conference. More than anything else, that was a muscle flex by FSU that lead to ESPN requiring a GOR from the ACC. Ironically, FSU is now complaining about the GOR. FSU in the ACC reminds me of Miami in the old Big East. They don't really want to be there and they fairly consistently seem to be poisoning the water hole.
Yep. There was a power struggle within the ACC. I believe UNC, Virginia, Duke, and NCST wanted UConn. FSU and Clemson were sick of North Carolina centric leadership of the ACC, and proceeded to push for UL because UL is less travel and more of a "football" school.

Reaction Score
12/10 summary. One thing that’s important to add though. It’s ok to have a down year or two or three as a football program. Hell even Kansas has been terrible for god knows how long. What ISNT ok though, is being so bad that you’re the laughing stock of the nation. And that’s what we were in terms of CFB from 2014-2022. You can be in the 90s or even 100s but if you’re 129 out of 131 programs in CFB for years on end, that leaves a stain that doesn’t go away easily. That’s why the brand is tarnished and the narrative that we don’t care about football perpetuates itself.
Thank ESPN for that. Their anyone-but-UConn announcers were more than happy to point out every flaw.

Reaction Score
Thank ESPN for that. Their anyone-but-UConn announcers were more than happy to point out every flaw.
No I blame the coaches and the people who hired the coaches for that. Announcers don’t lose games, teams do. They can hate us all they want but if we’re winning they can’t say jack .

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It's not tainted. But we aren't very realistic about ourselves.

1. ACC - composed of southern schools. Added northern schools. But critically, didn't want to shift power to those schools. Perceived Louisville as southern and having football culture.
2. College football culture. We started a few decades too late and never developed it. If you disagree ask yourself if anyone gets married on Saturdays in the fall. Of course the do. Well they don't in college football country because the game comes first. Instead we set aside our Sundays for NFL games.
3. Alumni support - UConn's is awful. Private colleges dominate New England. Our endowment is embarrassingly small for a flagship public in a wealthy state.

Our pitch is essentially, if you let us in, we will change and develop what is needed. It's not a terrible pitch, because in the Big East we did that to some extent. At least started in that direction.

You can say BC doesn't have football culture either, but it's better than ours and BC has history. BC has Doug Flutie.

Reaction Score
Simple, because this is what they want it to be. Because reality is that their sports as a whole don't stand up for many. They got the money. We have the trophies. We're not a Community College.

Competition is not just on the field. Money means more trophies for UConn. Brand recognition at who's expense?

Reaction Score
Brand recognition at who's expense?
Most of the grandfathered P5 schools who've had a free ride for half a century most of which are worthless. Deep down they know that if they were on the outside looking in today, they'd be in a worse position than us, and that's the biggest reason they are so defensive. Don't worry guys, as far as we know, you can't just be kicked out of your cushy spot you don't earn. That's why they move the goalposts when you start pointing out facts and using their own metrics against them - it's all a defense mechanism and a bit of a sensitive subject.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom