B12 Commish: Openly states they will look at adding institutions | Page 2 | The Boneyard

B12 Commish: Openly states they will look at adding institutions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
With the football program the laughing stock of the NCAA, it will sink all other programs. Football is the reason we have been left out of the B1G, ACC, Big 12 and all the others. UCONN should scrap the program all together. That's the ONLY way back to the Big East.
Without football, we couldn't possibly get in those conferences.

And we were coming off a Fiesta Bowl bid when the first round happened. We were the ACC's choice with Syracuse until BC's AD flipped out.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Lets protect the assets that we have. Go back into the Big East, brand ourselves as a Big East/Hockey East Program. Go independent in football try to get a Navy/Army type schedule going.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Without football, we couldn't possibly get in those conferences.

And we were coming off a Fiesta Bowl bid when the first round happened. We were the ACC's choice with Syracuse until BC's AD flipped out.
Why people forget this is beyond me. Our football is terrible now. It wasn't then, and doesn't have to be forever. There's way more that goes into this than whether we lost to SMU (which we did, somehow).

Reaction Score
This is an utter disaster. This AAC is just plain putrid. If we want to be successful in the long run in all sports doesn't it make sense to try to get in the Big East if there are no other takers out there and just go Ind in football? It's not like being in the AAC is helping our football team.

Reaction Score
Geography shouldn't matter, newsflash the only place where the geography is ideal is the old old Big East and that league and way of thinking no longer exists. Conferences are a mish mosh of schools from all over the country these days. It used to matter when your only option was a bus trip, now they have these giant things that fly in the sky and can move a large # of people in a short amount of time. As for our football program sucking, yes it does right now but before the Pasqualoni hire we were a good up and coming program. Syracuse and Pitt football have sucked for a couple of decades and they had no problem getting snatched up right away, there are several programs in the P5's that have blown since they started playing football. This sort of thing builds on itself, if you are in a horrid conference your recruiting is going to be bad, your product will be bad, turnout will be bad etc. I have zero doubt in my mind we would turn it around very quickly once we get in a P5 conference. We became a good team very quickly after going D1 and we went from being good to bad very quickly because of an awful hire and the conference shake up, we can go back to being good and better than we've ever been before once we have firm footing in a legit conference. Despite the downturn in football, UConn is still a sleeping giant. I get why people are negative at the moment, we've been kicked in the nuts repeatedly during realignment and football has taken an awful turn but you're mistaken if you don't think we offer a lot to a P5 conference. We have no idea when Big 10 will ever think about another round of expansion and we simply can't play around hoping and waiting for Big 10 or ACC to offer us, we must do everything in our power right now to sell ourselves to the Big12.

Reaction Score
Would love to be in the Big 12… Just don't see them snatching us up. Would be awesome to play Kansas twice a year in hoops.

Reaction Score
Husky999 said:
This is an utter disaster. This AAC is just plain putrid. If we want to be successful in the long run in all sports doesn't it make sense to try to get in the Big East if there are no other takers out there and just go Ind in football? It's not like being in the AAC is helping our football team.

The Big East is a non-starter. It's almost a completely homogenous league now of small, urban, private Catholic schools (just Butler isn't Catholic). They all have similar issues (urban space constraints, private school resources constraints) that a flagship state school like us doesn't.

If the BE expands, they'll surely look at similar schools in new markets (St. Louis and Dayton probably first in line). Or they'd probably even reach for a Siena or Detroit before they took us and disrupt their balance of power. They don't need us for market penetration.

The BE would clearly have some temporary benefit for us with hoops, but long term we don't really want to align ourselves with a group of colleges we have so little in common with. Any time there was a vote over something we wanted that the rest of them didn't, we'd lose.

Where we end up by dropping into FCS football is probably eventually to some sort of a league of UMass, URI, Buffalo, Albany, Delaware, George Mason, VCU, and other reaches after the A-10 fragments and the state schools form their own league.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Where we end up by dropping into FCS football is probably eventually to some sort of a league of UMass, URI, Buffalo, Albany, Delaware, George Mason, VCU, and other reaches after the A-10 fragments and the state schools form their own league.
In other words, never believe it can't get worse. It can always get worse.

H

huskymagic

Geography shouldn't matter, newsflash the only place where the geography is ideal is the old old Big East and that league and way of thinking no longer exists. Conferences are a mish mosh of schools from all over the country these days. It used to matter when your only option was a bus trip, now they have these giant things that fly in the sky and can move a large # of people in a short amount of time. As for our football program sucking, yes it does right now but before the Pasqualoni hire we were a good up and coming program. Syracuse and Pitt football have sucked for a couple of decades and they had no problem getting snatched up right away, there are several programs in the P5's that have blown since they started playing football. This sort of thing builds on itself, if you are in a horrid conference your recruiting is going to be bad, your product will be bad, turnout will be bad etc. I have zero doubt in my mind we would turn it around very quickly once we get in a P5 conference. We became a good team very quickly after going D1 and we went from being good to bad very quickly because of an awful hire and the conference shake up, we can go back to being good and better than we've ever been before once we have firm footing in a legit conference. Despite the downturn in football, UConn is still a sleeping giant. I get why people are negative at the moment, we've been kicked in the nuts repeatedly during realignment and football has taken an awful turn but you're mistaken if you don't think we offer a lot to a P5 conference. We have no idea when Big 10 will ever think about another round of expansion and we simply can't play around hoping and waiting for Big 10 or ACC to offer us, we must do everything in our power right now to sell ourselves to the Big12.

precisely john. Ward and Susan need to be e-mailing, calling, texting B12 and its schools while on their flight to headquarters. West Virginia did it, Rutgers did it, Pitt did it, we need to find a way there is no excuses. They need to make it happen because we are a recognizable national brand that is a plus to any conference. Take the devil's deal if you have to get it done.

Reaction Score
Calhoun would turn around the FB program in 2 years. Some coaches are just winners. They figure it out. We need that to happen before Football sinks all our student-athletes.

Reaction Score
if the 12 expands, the aac is done, I also agree that ND will soon realize their best path to a playoff spot is to win a conference champ, which is doable in the acc

Reaction Score
Calhoun would turn around the FB program in 2 years. Some coaches are just winners. They figure it out. We need that to happen before Football sinks all our student-athletes.

Are you really saying we need Calhoun to turn around the football program?

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
if the 12 expands, the aac is done
If they do expand and the AAC is done. Where does that leave us? C-USA? The Mac? Some assemblance of whats left of the AAC and the better schools in C-USA/Mac? This would be laughable.

Reaction Score
Fishy's got it right, IMO. Our best chance is likely ND feeling slighted after going 11-1 with no championship game. They are the next key cog that can impact us in a positive way, because the Big 12 is not it.

If we are relying on ND in any way we are f#cked. Just ask yourself this question, if Baylor/TCU were ND is there any doubt that ND would have claimed one of those four playoff spots? ND doesn't need a conference affiliation for football. I think they remain the only team (pro or college) that has every game televised nationwide on network TV. I'm not saying they deserve it .

Reaction Score
Lets protect the assets that we have. Go back into the Big East, brand ourselves as a Big East/Hockey East Program. Go independent in football try to get a Navy/Army type schedule going.

How're you going to compete against BC in basketball? BC will make $25m more than you a year. Over many years.

Reaction Score
If they do expand and the AAC is done. Where does that leave us? C-USA? The Mac? Some assemblance of whats left of the AAC and the better schools in C-USA/Mac? This would be laughable.

Independent. Frankly it's probably better than the AAC. At least the hoops teams could schedule anyone they wanted. Football? Not so much.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The Big East is a non-starter. It's almost a completely homogenous league now of small, urban, private Catholic schools (just Butler isn't Catholic). They all have similar issues (urban space constraints, private school resources constraints) that a flagship state school like us doesn't.

If the BE expands, they'll surely look at similar schools in new markets (St. Louis and Dayton probably first in line). Or they'd probably even reach for a Siena or Detroit before they took us and disrupt their balance of power. They don't need us for market penetration.

The BE would clearly have some temporary benefit for us with hoops, but long term we don't really want to align ourselves with a group of colleges we have so little in common with. Any time there was a vote over something we wanted that the rest of them didn't, we'd lose.

If the Big 12 expands, and we are not part of it, I suspect the University will look long and hard at the value of continuing the football program at all. This AAC experiment has been a complete and utter disaster, and it is taking the whole athletic department down with it. If Cincinnati and Memphis or some other school leaves, I would hope and expect that we would dump the AAC ourselves.

Reaction Score
If we are relying on ND in any way we are f#cked. Just ask yourself this question, if Baylor/TCU were ND is there any doubt that ND would have claimed one of those four playoff spots? ND doesn't need a conference affiliation for football. I think they remain the only team (pro or college) that has every game televised nationwide on network TV. I'm not saying they deserve it .
Fair point. I never said that it would happen or that it was likely, just that logistically it makes a lot of sense when viewing with my tinted blue glasses.

Reaction Score
nelsonmuntz said:
If the Big 12 expands, and we are not part of it, I suspect the University will look long and hard at the value of continuing the football program at all. This AAC experiment has been a complete and utter disaster, and it is taking the whole athletic department down with it. If Cincinnati and Memphis or some other school leaves, I would hope and expect that we would dump the AAC ourselves.

Dropping football means we could be linked in a group with all of the other flagship state universities that don't sponsor football: Vermont and Alaska-Anchorage.

I joke, but I suppose we could decide the UVM model works for us if football isn't worth it - try to be a very good academic state school that's good in hockey, does ok in the occasional niche sport, and upsets a big basketball team once in a while. That's basically what dropping football would do. No shame in that. UVM is a great school, and they love their hockey. UNH, URI and Maine might even follow our lead.

We would have a very expensive football training complex that we'd have to decide what to do with.

Reaction Score
We're almost 2,000 miles from Austin, Texas - probably 1,800 miles from Norman, Oklahoma. And our football team is the worst in the country right now.

As per usual, timing and geography are the two white whales of UConn realignment.

I'm not buying Memphis at all, but I can see Cincy, UCF or BYU.

More importantly to us...maybe Notre Dame starts to wonder if they can make a playoff without a conference championship.
I'm sorry, I thought you were noting the mileagae distance to onference mates Houston and Tulsa. But yeah, somehow we managed to lose sheet show bowl Saturday at home while being up 2tds at half time, and the coach is telling reporters it happened exactly as we planned.

Reaction Score
The Big 12 is a pipe dream. In fact, I'd argue there is a better chance of the Big12 imploding than there is UConn joining. Second, ND will not change anything until it happens to them. I am fairly certain that they believe if they go 11-1, they won't get excluded. What happened to Baylor and TCU won't move the needle with them. I still contend that our best chance is the Big 10. My hope is that this new dialogue splinters the Big12 further and UConn finds a partner!

Reaction Score
As opposed to the mountains of money we make in the AAC.

So, you want to decrease the deficit to BC to $25m in the BE instead of $23m in the AAC (ignoring the fact of course that UConn is taking an extra $6m a year from the AAC over the next 6 years)? You want to do that and absolutely seal that reality in perpetuity?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom