Azzi's Basketball Skills Beyond Shooting | The Boneyard

Azzi's Basketball Skills Beyond Shooting

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Has anyone noticed what I have during the last two games, since Azzi returned from her foot issue, that she does a lot of small things on the basketball court that have little or nothing to do with shooting? Like stealing the ball from Ms. Morrow after a rebound in the DePaul game, or dribbling out of trouble a couple of times in the Providence game, or making the right pass in the offense. Also, like positioning herself correctly for rebounds and leaping high to get contested rebounds. AND, she makes layups and free throws.

Last night against Providence, in 29 minutes Azzi had zero turnovers in a game where (in 27 minutes) Caroline had 5 of them. Azzi and Caroline had the same number of rebounds (4 each) in that game.

Azzi shot well and played fairly well against DePaul (she did have 3 turnovers in Chicago); she shot poorly and played well against Providence. I cannot see any lingering aftereffects of her injury. I am cautiously optimistic that she will shoot (over the rest of the season) about in line with the Boneyard's expectations, and that she will (like Caroline) also play well most of the time with the occasional bad game.

Brewski

To infinity and beyond!
Reaction Score
Azzi isn't driving into the lane (yet) like Caroline does. Turnovers are more likely in crowds, not that I condone them, turnovers that is. Azzi is still tentative, and rightfully so. She is definitely faster now than she was before being sidelined. I am a die-hard Caroline fan, but after watching Azzi in the last two games, I have no doubt she'll be as good if not better than Caroline. The good thing is they both have unique skill sets that won't overlap with each other too much in games, which makes playing against them even more difficult. CD driving into the lane while Azzi lurks at the 3-point line makes me happy. Good times ahead as they they play more and more together.

sun

Reaction Score
I think that Azzi should emulate Paige's pull up jumpers for 2 outside the lane.
If she draws too much defense to take a shot then she could dish it off either inside or outside.

She has so much more to offer than just 3 point shooting.
The team could really use her versatility.

Reaction Score
Yes, she is definitely the overall player Geno mentioned. She was good at help side defense, got some key rebounds, set the most screens of any guard and really led them in effort. It was also good to see her initiate contact and get to the FT. More of that is what they need.

She was also great at pushing the ball. Had a great assist to Caroline and Christyn in transition. It still appears that she's finding her wind but when she does, I think it bodes well

Reaction Score
Definitely noticed. Her feet don’t seem all that quick, although not super slow, but she Is always there and doing all the little things that show a high understanding of the game. Once her feet are back and she’s in complete shape, Wow! It seems like it comes easy for her also.

Reaction Score
Has anyone noticed what I have during the last two games, since Azzi returned from her foot issue, that she does a lot of small things on the basketball court that have little or nothing to do with shooting? Like stealing the ball from Ms. Morrow after a rebound in the DePaul game, or dribbling out of trouble a couple of times in the Providence game, or making the right pass in the offense. Also, like positioning herself correctly for rebounds and leaping high to get contested rebounds. AND, she makes layups and free throws.

Last night against Providence, in 29 minutes Azzi had zero turnovers in a game where (in 27 minutes) Caroline had 5 of them. Azzi and Caroline had the same number of rebounds (4 each) in that game.

Azzi shot well and played fairly well against DePaul (she did have 3 turnovers in Chicago); she shot poorly and played well against Providence. I cannot see any lingering aftereffects of her injury. I am cautiously optimistic that she will shoot (over the rest of the season) about in line with the Boneyard's expectations, and that she will (like Caroline) also play well most of the time with the occasional bad game.
"AND, she makes layups and free throws." How true and important. Together costing UCONN 6 to 10 points per game.

Reaction Score
What I noticed most as probably you folks did, is that she is constantly moving and not standing in one place waiting for someone to pass her the ball. She is trying to find an open spot or get a screen or give a screen. Much improvement since her foot is working better.

sun

Reaction Score
I noticed that Azzi displays an interesting tendency using her feet.
She will move them up & down rapidly a couple of times when dribbling in place, almost like stepping or running in place.
It seems to help her fake, or perhaps to distribute her weight so that it will be harder for defenders to figure out her next move, whether it's to shoot or change direction or not.
It shows that she's lighter on her feet then it looks when she has the ball in her hands, particularly while dribbling.

Reaction Score

Good post. Azzi, like Caroline, as a few others on Uconn, are so much more than shooters, although they are superior in that regard. I believe Baskeball players are not One dimensional . Caroline and now Fudd are great examples of that.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Azzi has been a little tentative on and off this season. Some of it is her nature, the newness, or her injury, but her playing time the past 2 games should help. Though the missed most of her shots last night, they were all good shots. Did you see her FTs? Never a doubt that they were going in. She is gradually finding her groove. When Paige comes back, they will work very well together.

Reaction Score
It's early, but I see Azzi's greatness potential in shooting and scoring. She can be efficient from multiple levels and a volume scorer as well. The rest of her game I would describe as above average/solid. She has pretty good athleticism and good basketball instincts, and in time will probably be a player that makes few mistakes.

Add that to her exceptional shooting/scoring potential and you have a great player, but probably not at the level of say Maya or Stewie who were not just good outside of shooting/scoring, but very very good at other things.

Reaction Score
My only concern with Azzi is her ability to stay healthy and on the court. If she does, sit back and enjoy the show.

Reaction Score
I just noticed that and Azzi said it as well in one of the recent pressers, her confidence has/is improved/improving after watching Caroline out there on the floor. The movement on/off the ball, the "let it" fly on the shooting, playing free out there, all came from sitting out and watching Caroline, another freshmen, just playing. This is a blessing, hopefully for Azzi. Just play. Block out all of the other chatter from the coach and fans. Just play. She has the ability and has put in the work. Now she just has to be Fearless out there. Play with confidence. But I have noticed that she is doing the little things out there beside scoring.

Reaction Score
Azzi isn't driving into the lane (yet) like Caroline does. Turnovers are more likely in crowds, not that I condone them, turnovers that is. Azzi is still tentative, and rightfully so. She is definitely faster now than she was before being sidelined. I am a die-hard Caroline fan, but after watching Azzi in the last two games, I have no doubt she'll be as good if not better than Caroline. The good thing is they both have unique skill sets that won't overlap with each other too much in games, which makes playing against them even more difficult. CD driving into the lane while Azzi lurks at the 3-point line makes me happy. Good times ahead as they they play more and more together.
add in paige someday and omg

Reaction Score
She's the complete package. Just easing her way in. I can tell while she was injured and sitting that she studied the offense because...she just flowed in the Providence game with no hesitation. The explosion and assertiveness are near and then watch UCONN scoring records start to fall. Did you see CD talking to her at the end of her first game back? Did you see the look on both their faces? CD looked like a proud Momma. Wish I could find that clip.

Reaction Score
Wonder if Geno is considering having Azzi as the backup point guard? Having the ball in her hand more often and returning Evina to her natural off-guard position both seem like good things.
That's a thought.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Ive heard to many good things about Azzi for her not to be great. Having her and Paige on the floor we are going to see alot of unselfish play and some really good passing. They might be called bookends for the way they play and playing together soon. How soon I dont know.

Reaction Score

At some point in the last year Geno described Fudd as the most completely prepared entering freshman player he ever saw as far as her skill set. In all phases of the game. He described her footwork as being what you see with players entering the W draft.

Reaction Score
I am sure Azzi can run the same curl routes as Paige and hit the 3 point or mid-range elbow jumper. She also is strong enough to take it to the hoop and finish a layup. I was also impressed that she ripped the ball out of morrow hand and is good at boxing out. I have not seen the Passing skills as of yet that Paige has but no one does.
I went back and watched the SC game and found the reason our half court offense doesn't work. The reason is Paige is our offense. She makes shots and runs beautiful pick and rolls. She is also tall enough and jumps high enough to get shot off over players. She makes shots without squaring up. She also is amazing on the break.
So we found Caroline can step up most games and if we can get Azzi more assertive and use all of her abilities. The most difficult part about that is her head. She defers to seniors cause she is a freshmen. Geno will have to get in her head like he did with Paige last year.
We will be a force when that happens. Look out SC and Stanford.

Reaction Score
What I noticed most as probably you folks did, is that she is constantly moving and not standing in one place waiting for someone to pass her the ball. She is trying to find an open spot or get a screen or give a screen. Much improvement since her foot is working better.
Maybe she is emulating Caroline, fluid motion, always moving except for that instant when she shoots the 3. The great thing about Caroline is the shooting but she gets there by moving. By quarter 4 her defenders (S) are nearly worn out. Isn't it great to be 19 with a body that lets you run for hours??

Reaction Score
I am sure Azzi can run the same curl routes as Paige and hit the 3 point or mid-range elbow jumper. She also is strong enough to take it to the hoop and finish a layup. I was also impressed that she ripped the ball out of morrow hand and is good at boxing out. I have not seen the Passing skills as of yet that Paige has but no one does.
I went back and watched the SC game and found the reason our half court offense doesn't work. The reason is Paige is our offense. She makes shots and runs beautiful pick and rolls. She is also tall enough and jumps high enough to get shot off over players.
She makes shots without squaring up. She also is amazing on the break.
So we found Caroline can step up most games and if we can get Azzi more assertive and use all of her abilities. The most difficult part about that is her head. She defers to seniors cause she is a freshmen. Geno will have to get in her head like he did with Paige last year.
We will be a force when that happens. Look out SC and Stanford.
I agree with your assessment of AZZI FUDD and Paige. Paige is unique, even on this very talented Uconn team she is special. Her court vision, Basketball IQ, native intelligence sets her apart for all others on the team. All are intelligent or they would not be on this team. Paige is so unique, so special she almost defies being boxed into a category. If we could define it and sell it I know 200 Div 1 coaches men and women that would buy it. Some of what Paige brought to the Uconn game, these past 2 years, was amazing and undefinable. Don't expect Azzi or Caroline or any of the next year recruits to replicate/emulate/ or be a clone of Paige. Paige is Paige and Uconn has her.

Reaction Score
Night and day difference between Dec and Now for Azzi. She was moving great without the ball and in the second half looked more for her shot. She will be a major player for us and a key interchangeable piece in the line-up. He is also a help defender and likes to gather rebounds. What a nice package now that we have seen some serious minutes out of her and being healthy.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom