Azzi | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Azzi

Reaction Score
I think you might be misunderstanding what Geno said. Or maybe I am. Here’s the quote.

“I wish she [Azzi] had some of Paige’s just, ‘Play brainless,’ just kind of play and not worry about the outcome so much, just play,” Auriemma said. “And I wish Paige had a little more of Azzi’s discipline. But that’s why they’re so good together. They complement each other really well.”

« Brainless » is not a criticism. It’s a necessary quality for playing at the highest level. « Just kind of play and not worry about the outcome. » Geno is not saying that Paige makes more mistakes or has worse decision making. Even Azzi says that Paige has a higher BB IQ. But despite Azzi’s limited playing time this year, either playing injured or missing games, she does demonstrate remarkable discipline. A fully healthy and more experienced Azzi next season could be scary. And with Paige no longer needing to defer to seniors and because she enjoys passing more than scoring, I’m hoping to see more points from Azzi on assists by Paige.
With another 40%+ 3 pt shooter in LOU, it should spread the floor for all the shooters and drivers. With another year of confidence and defense turning the offense up a notch, it will be a GREAT year to push all the way to the NC!

Praying for a health restoring Summer, followed by a VERY healthy and strong, FULL, and talented 11 women roster including AG, Dorka, AZZI, Caroline, PB, and the rest who did not require surgery [AE, Nika, Lou, Amari, AP, and ICE] to remain healthy and get stronger and FULLY confident to build towards NC #12 in March/April 2023.

Go Huskies!!!

Reaction Score
I don't think that Paige should lower her confidence. I think Azzi needs to be more aggressive and confident in seeking her shot. Paige can get her shot off anytime, anywhere against anyone. She has that much confidence in her shot and abilities. Azzi is a little more shy and although she can sho the lights out from deep. Taking people off the dribble and going to the hoop she isn't as confident about.
I agree, and believe Azzi was trying to fit in a little too much. She did reach a point where she was firing away whenever she had a look at a 3pt shot, but was very hesitant to take people off the dribble. Her mid-range pull up jumper is quick and I think she can get it off over most but not all defenders.

There was a stat on Her Hoops that caught my eye regarding her. She was only in the 38th percentile in two point attempts per 40 minutes. In other words she attempted fewer 2's than the average division 1 player. Some of that is because she is looking for the 3 pointers of course, but I think her ability to create her own shot is very good, and should be attempted far more often as she gains confidence in getting it off.

Last year was mostly being an efficient spot up 3pt shooter, and pretty efficient on 2's as well, but with few attempts. This year she presumably will have a little more of a "scorers" mentality but be efficient there as well. Against the best team open looks will be fewer and the need to create your own shot even greater. Paige needs more help in that way.

Reaction Score
I'm kinda hoping Azzi and Paige get some rest until the fall even though I know they both are gym rats. Azzi was wearing a walking boot even at the end of the season. PB was less than 100 percent during the tourney. Although 3 or 4 months of rest and recovery probably sounds dreadful to them, it may be in their best interest. Of course I'm sure the trainers are on top of this. I think Azzi is a bit underrated as a passer. I can't get out of my head the dish to Aaliyah late in the NC State game. I'm hoping she plays a bit more point this year alongside PB, although she did struggle a little with pressure last season.

Reaction Score
This reflection on Aziz's confidence about 2s vs 3s reminds me of something Paige said in her Freshman year when Geno asked her how she'd defend herself. "Stop the 3pt shot." This is how shooting guards think, I guess. If they can make the 3, it opens everything else up. But I also think Paige's spot up 2 was devastating that year against SC in the regular season (yeah, I know, there was that awesome dagger to end the game) and against Baylor in the EE. She routinely got the team the needed bucket practically on demand, and the impact on the morale of a youngish team was palpable.

In the 1st Marquette game this year, with no Liv or CD they played us really tough and led by 2 at the end of the 3rd quarter. Azzi had already hit a few shots. But halfway through the 4th, Evina saw that Marquette was gassed (she said later) and she and Nika set Azzi up for a couple of threes and Azzi drove the lane for a 2, and then Evina followed it with 6 points of her own. 14 points fell on Marquette from those two and the game was done. I think it was a much needed morale booster after the loss to Villanova. I'm sure Azzi dropping daggers made everyone feel better about the team. But her 2s were also huge in the absence of Paige's awesome spot up jumper.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
Between her knee and COVID Fudd basically missed most of her last 2 years of HS play. Part of my optimism for next year is based on both Fudd and Ducharme making a big sophomore jump. I believe that UConn has easily the best backcourt in the country but everybody is gaga over centers.
And just think last year there was a much supported thread on the BY that decried the death of the post player in WCBB. What a difference a year makes. I repeat what I said then: that most schools would swoon over a quality big, trouble is that there just aren't too many of them, it's not that they have become dinosaurs.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
What you're saying has merit, but did you guys see the TN, NC State games? These are but a few examples of Azzi's calm and composure under pressure. Certainly she was realize growth in her composure and maturity but Azzi is quite fine where she is....
I agree, but I expect Azzi to grow and mature by leaps and bounds the next three years. She's nowhere near the player she'll be her senior year. She'll be ready for the next step in her pursuit of becoming a professional athlete after her senior year. Lots of room to grow between now and then. 21 year old Azzi will be a nightmare for opponents. :eek:

Reaction Score
I think you might be misunderstanding what Geno said. Or maybe I am. Here’s the quote.

“I wish she [Azzi] had some of Paige’s just, ‘Play brainless,’ just kind of play and not worry about the outcome so much, just play,” Auriemma said. “And I wish Paige had a little more of Azzi’s discipline. But that’s why they’re so good together. They complement each other really well.”

« Brainless » is not a criticism. It’s a necessary quality for playing at the highest level. « Just kind of play and not worry about the outcome. » Geno is not saying that Paige makes more mistakes or has worse decision making. Even Azzi says that Paige has a higher BB IQ. But despite Azzi’s limited playing time this year, either playing injured or missing games, she does demonstrate remarkable discipline. A fully healthy and more experienced Azzi next season could be scary. And with Paige no longer needing to defer to seniors and because she enjoys passing more than scoring, I’m hoping to see more points from Azzi on assists by Paige.
Let me reword a bit. I think both of their qualities (Azzi’s discipline and Paige’s “brainless” mindset) are double-edged swords in a sense. I agree that the original “brainless” comment wasn’t a criticism to Paige. As I said, it allows her to play freely and with confidence. Mentioning that it occasionally caused her to make mistakes more so referenced to Geno’s comment about Paige needing some of Azzi’s discipline. One example could be waiting for screens. This is something both Geno and Paige herself have criticized about her game. It’s an aspect that requires her to consciously think about her movement a bit more (something she can improve by becoming more disciplined).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom