Azzi | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Azzi

Reaction Score
The wild side of Azzi ....just love this photo

View attachment 76146

Doing some thinning out of drawers and closets and most usually donate quality used clothing to charitable organization's. Anything ripped torn or over worn goes to rags or trash.
I recently realized I have jeans that are being thrown out that are worth more than what I wear. ;)

Reaction Score
I actually really like what Geno said in an article shortly after the season about Azzi's confidence. It's why he's such a great teacher, that anyone can learn from. He said that "Confidence comes from putting the time in and doing it to a certain level every day, doing it against competition, and then going home and going ‘I got this.’ Confidence doesn’t come from someone else saying, ‘You got this.’ That’s a part of it, but it’s not the biggest part of it. Self-confidence is way more important than someone else having confidence in you.”

Geno Auriemma might ‘lead the country’ in technicals while defending Paige Bueckers: ‘That kid gets fouled more than any kid in America’

It's such a good point. If she's healthy next year, I have no doubt she'll consistently play at a high level. And when you do that it's probably hard not to have confidence. But I can only imagine the roller coaster this year must've been for her, especially with all the expectations, and seeing Paige do what she did last season.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Azzi simply reflecting on her transition from high school basketball to “elite” college basketball which is much greater that the jump to low level or mid level (mid-major) basketball. I expect to see a more mature and settled-down Azzi this winter, as she knows what to expect having been around the block once. ;)

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
If you have listened to Azzi's interviews and read about her, you know that surprisingly she has periodic battles with her confidence. That's part of why I wanted her to choose UConn--if Azzi becomes a little more like Paige, and Paige becomes a little more like Azzi, they will both be better off. Azzi is better than she currently realizes. Four years with Geno will really help her both on and off the court.
Do not even think of monkeying with Paige - not even a little, not a scintilla of tinkering.

Reaction Score
Between her knee and COVID Fudd basically missed most of her last 2 years of HS play. Part of my optimism for next year is based on both Fudd and Ducharme making a big sophomore jump. I believe that UConn has easily the best backcourt in the country but everybody is gaga over centers.

Reaction Score
Between her knee and COVID Fudd basically missed most of her last 2 years of HS play. Part of my optimism for next year is based on both Fudd and Ducharme making a big sophomore jump. I believe that UConn has easily the best backcourt in the country but everybody is gaga over centers.
Truer words were never writ!

Reaction Score
Apparently you haven’t read Volnation! They are portal champions and are on par or better than SC and definitely better than UConn. Final 4 or NC for sure! Rocky top is the move!!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

No Way Wow GIF

Reaction Score
I think they just meant that Paige and Azzi can both learn from each other. Azzi is very methodical and thoughtful. Paige is more free-spirited and (as Geno would say) brainless. Azzi’s personality elevates her understanding and decision making in games. However, it can hold her back because of her tendency to overthink. Paige’s personality allows her to play the game freely and gives her that innate confidence. However, it sometimes causes her to make mistakes because she’s more willing to take risks. One’s strength is the other’s weakness. That’s why they balance each other out.
I think that’s a bit of a stretch. I don’t remember Paige making more mistakes than Azzi or (for that matter) Azzi’s understanding and decision making outshining Paige’s either! Rather than trying to force these two incredible player’s respective abilities into a preplanned narrative, how about let’s all just be happy they are both at UConn for several more seasons and let them write their own stories?

Reaction Score
I don't think that Paige should lower her confidence. I think Azzi needs to be more aggressive and confident in seeking her shot. Paige can get her shot off anytime, anywhere against anyone. She has that much confidence in her shot and abilities. Azzi is a little more shy and although she can sho the lights out from deep. Taking people off the dribble and going to the hoop she isn't as confident about.

Reaction Score
betcha' CD didn't prescreen this.
Why? Do you think CD would disapprove? For dancing with teammates on tik-tok? How could this possibly be deemed inappropriate?

Reaction Score
Azzi simply reflecting on her transition from high school basketball to “elite” college basketball which is much greater that the jump to low level or mid level (mid-major) basketball. I expect to see a more mature and settled-down Azzi this winter, as she knows what to expect having been around the block once. ;)
What you're saying has merit, but did you guys see the TN, NC State games? These are but a few examples of Azzi's calm and composure under pressure. Certainly she was realize growth in her composure and maturity but Azzi is quite fine where she is....

Reaction Score
I think that’s a bit of a stretch. I don’t remember Paige making more mistakes than Azzi or (for that matter) Azzi’s understanding and decision making outshining Paige’s either! Rather than trying to force these two incredible player’s respective abilities into a preplanned narrative, how about let’s all just be happy they are both at UConn for several more seasons and let them write their own stories?

It's a question of precision (Fudd)(Moore) vs creativity (Bueckers)(Taurasi). Both have a blend of the two traits, just a different mix. Even Bueckers had moments of indecision as a freshman. Mostly when deferring to the upperclassmen.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
I don't think that Paige should lower her confidence. I think Azzi needs to be more aggressive and confident in seeking her shot. Paige can get her shot off anytime, anywhere against anyone. She has that much confidence in her shot and abilities. Azzi is a little more shy and although she can sho the lights out from deep. Taking people off the dribble and going to the hoop she isn't as confident about.
I don't know, but I just watched the replay of the 4th Q and OT from the NCST game. Azzi looked pretty aggressive to me going to the hoop and looking for her pull up. The two of them will be great next year.

Reaction Score
If you have listened to Azzi's interviews and read about her, you know that surprisingly she has periodic battles with her confidence. That's part of why I wanted her to choose UConn--if Azzi becomes a little more like Paige, and Paige becomes a little more like Azzi, they will both be better off. Azzi is better than she currently realizes. Four years with Geno will really help her both on and off the court.
That is why I think when Caroline (not trying to hijack the thread here) had her breakout stretch of games, those moments probably helped Azzi with her confidence. Just glad that we have players that lift each other up and are there for each other. Azzi having a wonderful family back home and a wonderful family in her home away from home at UConn, is a huge boost and hope that each practice, game, and year her confidence continues to grow stronger.

Reaction Score
I think they just meant that Paige and Azzi can both learn from each other. Azzi is very methodical and thoughtful. Paige is more free-spirited and (as Geno would say) brainless. Azzi’s personality elevates her understanding and decision making in games. However, it can hold her back because of her tendency to overthink. Paige’s personality allows her to play the game freely and gives her that innate confidence. However, it sometimes causes her to make mistakes because she’s more willing to take risks. One’s strength is the other’s weakness. That’s why they balance each other out.
I think you might be misunderstanding what Geno said. Or maybe I am. Here’s the quote.

“I wish she [Azzi] had some of Paige’s just, ‘Play brainless,’ just kind of play and not worry about the outcome so much, just play,” Auriemma said. “And I wish Paige had a little more of Azzi’s discipline. But that’s why they’re so good together. They complement each other really well.”

« Brainless » is not a criticism. It’s a necessary quality for playing at the highest level. « Just kind of play and not worry about the outcome. » Geno is not saying that Paige makes more mistakes or has worse decision making. Even Azzi says that Paige has a higher BB IQ. But despite Azzi’s limited playing time this year, either playing injured or missing games, she does demonstrate remarkable discipline. A fully healthy and more experienced Azzi next season could be scary. And with Paige no longer needing to defer to seniors and because she enjoys passing more than scoring, I’m hoping to see more points from Azzi on assists by Paige.

Reaction Score
Apparently you haven’t read Volnation! They are portal champions and are on par or better than SC and definitely better than UConn. Final 4 or NC for sure! Rocky top is the move!!
Thanks for applying the "curse of Great expectations" firmly onto the Orange Horde! I could not have done it better.... :cool: :rolleyes:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom