Azzi Fudd U-19 stats after 6 games... | The Boneyard

Azzi Fudd U-19 stats after 6 games...

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
Azzi Fudd.jpg

Azzi Fudd is starting for the U-19 USA team playing in Hungary in the U-19 FIBA World Cup. She is putting up some wonderful stats despite playing with many other superstars, including Caitlin Clark (Iowa), Sonia Citron (ND), Peyton Verhulst (Louisville) and Lauren Betts (headed to Stanford). The star studded team has made it work so far, scoring an amazing 594 points in just 6 games. (Obviously, all wins) Opponents have managed just a 47 point per game against the tall, athletic USA squad. Here are Azzi's stats:

1. Azzi has played 135 minutes for an average of 22.4 per game. (Clark has played 147 minutes.)
2. She is shooting 23-41 overall or 56.1%. Her point total is 58 pts or 9.7 per game.
3. Inside the 3 pt. arc she is 11-19 or 57.9% and from three range she is 12-22 or 54.5%.
4. Fudd has an amazing 26 assists with only 7 turnovers. And, 4 of those came in the game vs Spain. Her assist to turnover ratio is 3.71
5. Azzi also has 14 rebounds and 11 steals while committing only 5 fouls.
6. One odd stat is Azzi has not taken a foul shot in the 6 games. In sharp contrast, Clark has tried 19 free throws.
7. Azzi has made at lest 1 three point shot in each game. Her 54.5% accuracy from 3 range and smooth shot mechanics are as advertised.

Azzi seems to be playing full out, plays very tough defense and has run the court well. She played 27 minutes against both Australia & Spain and just 16 in the Taiwan blow-out. Previous injuries do not appear to be an issue. Fudd has scored from deep, from several "stop and pop" shots and a fast break or two. She is the real deal..!!

Next game should be Sunday at 2:20 pm against the Australia vs Mali winner. (Mali is the big surprise.)

Go Azzi..!! Go USA..!!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
View attachment 69162

Azzi Fudd is starting for the U-19 USA team playing in Hungary in the U-19 FIBA World Cup. She is putting up some wonderfulstats despite playing with many other superstars, including Caitlin Clark (Iowa), Sonia Citron (ND), Peyton Verhulst (Louisville) and Lauren Betts (headed to Stanford). The star studded team has made it work so far, scoring an amazing 594 points in just 6 games. (Obviously, all wins) Opponents have managed just a 47 point per game against the tall, athletic USA squad. Here are Azzi's stats:

1. Azzi has played 135 minutes for an average of 22.4 per game.
2. She is shooting 23-41 overall or 56.1%. Her point total is 58 pts or 9.7 per game.
3. Inside the 3 pt. arc she is 11-19 or 57.9% and from three range she is 12-22 or 54.5%.
4. Fudd has an amazing 26 assists with only 7 turnovers. And, 4 of those came in the game vs Spain. That is an assist to turnover ratio of 3.71
5. Azzi also has 14 rebounds and 11 steals while committing only 5 fouls.
6. One odd stat is Azzi has not taken a foul shot in the 6 games. In sharp contrast, Clark has tried 19 free throws.
7. Azzi has made at lest 1 three point shot in each game. Her 54.5% accuracy from 3 range and smooth shot mechanics are as advertised.

Azzi seems to be playing full out, plays very tough defense and has run the court well. She played 27 minutes against Australia and Spain & just 16 in the Taiwan blow-out. Previous injuries do not appear to be an issue. Fudd has scored from deep, from several "stop and pop" shots and a fast break or two. She is the real deal..!!

Next game should be Sunday at 2:20 pm against the Australia vs Mali winner. (Mali is the big surprise.)

Go Azzi..!!

Go USA..!!
Thanks David.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Great stats and info David. Always enjoy your posts.

@Goodgood - I've watched all her games. Azzi is spectacular at certain things, and just "very good" at most others, but she is not "strong" in driving to the basket nor is she "tough/physical" in going after rebounds. I would GUESS it's because she's been injured in the past and is a little hesitant, but of course I can't say for sure.

But the lack of physical play on her part, desire not to drive into the teeth of the defense, and semi-soft nature of her defense around the basket (ie. rebounding) are really the only things my uneducated eyes see that she needs to work a bit on.

One other thing I noticed - the first few games she did not start. She's started the last 2 or 3 I think. Regardless, she has a tendency to defer to the other players. Also she is supremely unselfish. Even the guards on this team are "black hole" players (forget about the post. The ball never comes out when a post player gets it, even if they are mauled by 3 other defenders) - in that they get the ball passed to them and simply do not give it up. More times than not they will drive into 2-3 defenders, or dribble a few more times to try to get open and take a contested or ill-advised shot.

Azzi moves really well without the ball and very often will move to an open spot on the floor when these guards are driving and pulling the defense to them. But instead of passing the ball to a wide open Azzi, whose 3 point shots are about as accurate as their layups, they put their heads down and throw the ball up at the basket hoping for a miracle hoop, and a foul.

The rest of her game ranges from great to outstanding! :D

Reaction Score
Geno will probably will work hard on getting Azzi to be more aggressive with her shots like he did with Paige...the great news for Azzi and us as fans of UConn is that she comes to the right team for her where her unselfishness will be rewarded by getting the ball when she is open and i fully expect her to shoot at least 50-50-90 as shooting form is just perfect.

Reaction Score
Azzi has excellent stats and is very quiet in her game. I would love to see her become a better cutter and be more aggressive on the offensive end, but honestly she will fit in perfect at UCONN. She’s a really good passer and a smart player. I think she lacks some confidence or maybe it’s nerves, hence her deferring to other players offensively. I’ll be interested to see what she can do when she’s given the true green light, gets the jitters out and plays a little more selfishly, maybe as a sophomore/junior.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
All U-19 players stats can be found here.

Reaction Score
Azzi has excellent stats and is very quiet in her game. I would love to see her become a better cutter and be more aggressive on the offensive end, but honestly she will fit in perfect at UCONN. She’s a really good passer and a smart player. I think she lacks some confidence or maybe it’s nerves, hence her deferring to other players offensively. I’ll be interested to see what she can do when she’s given the true green light, gets the jitters out and plays a little more selfishly, maybe as a sophomore/junior.
I can see Paige and Azzi working each other hard in practice and also in the gym on their own. They seem to feed off each other and use it to be the best they can be. They've been best friends for a while now and have played both with and against each other, so I can't wait to see what they can do together under Geno.

Reaction Score
I can see Paige and Azzi working each other hard in practice and also in the gym on their own. They seem to feed off each other and use it to be the best they can be. They've been best friends for a while now and have played both with and against each other, so I can't wait to see what they can do together under Geno.
They are best friends?

Reaction Score
Great stats and info David. Always enjoy your posts.

@Goodgood - I've watched all her games. Azzi is spectacular at certain things, and just "very good" at most others, but she is not "strong" in driving to the basket nor is she "tough/physical" in going after rebounds. I would GUESS it's because she's been injured in the past and is a little hesitant, but of course I can't say for sure.

But the lack of physical play on her part, desire not to drive into the teeth of the defense, and semi-soft nature of her defense around the basket (ie. rebounding) are really the only things my uneducated eyes see that she needs to work a bit on.

One other thing I noticed - the first few games she did not start. She's started the last 2 or 3 I think. Regardless, she has a tendency to defer to the other players. Also she is supremely unselfish. Even the guards on this team are "black hole" players (forget about the post. The ball never comes out when a post player gets it, even if they are mauled by 3 other defenders) - in that they get the ball passed to them and simply do not give it up. More times than not they will drive into 2-3 defenders, or dribble a few more times to try to get open and take a contested or ill-advised shot.

Azzi moves really well without the ball and very often will move to an open spot on the floor when these guards are driving and pulling the defense to them. But instead of passing the ball to a wide open Azzi, whose 3 point shots are about as accurate as their layups, they put their heads down and throw the ball up at the basket hoping for a miracle hoop, and a foul.

The rest of her game ranges from great to outstanding! :D
You've explained why Azzi hasn't fouled much: she rarely moves into traffic. On the other hand, Caitlin spends almost as much time bouncing off the floor as Tiffany Hayes used to do. That clarifies why there is such a disparity in FTs.
I worry that Clark will get hurt because she is so recklessly running into logjams. Frankly, I will be well pleased if Miss Fudd comes home as sound as she left and ready for the UConn season. These FIBA games are almost comical.

Reaction Score
They are best friends?
True. Have been for a couple years. Plenty of vids out there of them together practicing, working out in the gym, at family get togethers, etc. Paige was very active in recruiting Azzi and even made a highlight compilation of her own assists to show Azzi and her family what she could expect to be on the receiving end of if she came to UConn.

Reaction Score
True. Have been for a couple years. Plenty of vids out there of them together practicing, working out in the gym, at family get togethers, etc. Paige was very active in recruiting Azzi and even made a highlight compilation of her own assists to show Azzi and her family what she could expect to be on the receiving end of if she came to UConn.
We appreciate the info.

Reaction Score
Thanks, David. She is not aggressively driving to the basket very often, hence no free throws. Wonder why?
Sonia Citron has taken the role of DRIVER! (N.D.) with some from Diamond
Johnson, University of North Carolina by way of Rutgers.
A well balance USA U 19 WBB team!! Australia will be tougher the second time around??

Reaction Score
My guess, while watching, was that AZZI was playing the role that Cori Close
wanted to do. I loved the assist stats. She was a very steady element on the
floor when most of the " A" team was taking a breather! A nice 8 -9 player
rotation for the USA team.

Reaction Score
For those of us who like stats: check out the " efficiency" stat for
"GUARDS" in the FIBA records for the U 19 WBB so far.
They rate all the guards in the tournament. FIVE USA "guards"
are ranked in the top 20 ( CZECH REPUBLIC has 2, no other team as
more than ONE!). Sonia Citron is #1, Caitlin Clark in #3 = we have
a guard oriented team ( and a well balance one at that!). This complements a nice "Height" presence with BETTS, WARE, FEAGIN, WOLFENBARGER, and AMARI DEBERRY! Note AUSTRALIA's average height is 6' 0" = 6' 6", 6' 3".
6' 2", 6' 2" , 6' 0" , and 6' 0". We're "taller" on an average, and its nice to
have a 6'7" ( Betts) in the middle!! WITH 6' 5" ( Ware), 6 ' 5" (DeBerry),
6' 5" Wolfenbarger, and 6' 4" Feagin = again balancing out a GREAT 'share
the responsibility' Philosophy of Coach Close. Who needs one HERO?? We
have 11! ( I hope we win tomorrow!!!)

Reaction Score
I think the numbers for shooting were fine, but she wasn't a high volume scorer and I think she was almost two unselfish. I got the feeling she could have pulled up for pretty good mid-range jumpers whenever she wanted to.

On the other hand the passing numbers were superb, even if thought of as a point guard. I now feel she would be fine at the point if she was ever asked to do so. The eye test and defensive numbers (steals without fouling) were encouraging on that end of the floor as well. rebounding was just OK.

She has shown a much more rounded game than I expected, and like Paige, I think Geno will encourage her to be more aggressive offensively.

Reaction Score
I still think she’s a starter next season, but I could see her deferring Paige, Williams, and Westbrook early on.

Reaction Score
I still think she’s a starter next season, but I could see her deferring Paige, Williams, and Westbrook early on.
Can I ask because I see this thrown around a lot, what makes her a starter next season? It’s not a necessity for the team so why do we have that penciled in? Especially with all we have coming back. This is not a knock AT ALL to Azzi, just curious as to why were so certain she starts next season with nothing shown at the college level.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I hope she does not start to drive . Her chances of hurting her legs are greater when she drives. Leave the driving to when she plays for UConn. No sense in taking chances against that competition.
Azzi drives plenty for USA basketball and she will as well for UCONN. Much like the thread which suggested that Azzi is a "nervous" player too much is being made here about her not driving and not getting to the foul line. This is ironic because it overlooks one of the strengths of Azzi game-the mid range pull up as well as violates one of the preferences of the UCONN offense- movement of the ball by passing vs dribbling. Why should Azzi drive into traffic and try and draw contact when she can pull up and score 2 points so effortlessly. Contrary to some of the suggestions being made here not all drives end at the basket; especially when you are talking about perimeter players who start many of hose drives behind the arc. Too many projections are also being made about how Azzi is playing on this USA basketball team and how that will translate to her play at UCONN. At UCONN Azzi will get a proper high ball screen to start most of the offensive sets. On this USA basketball team there is not a single player that can set that screen at a UCONN level. Even if this USA team had a player that could set that screen you don't have a coach in Cori that would know what to do next. Azzi will be a far better player at UCONN that she is displaying here where she's being pretty good:D.

Reaction Score
Azzi drives plenty for USA basketball and she will as well for UCONN. Much like the thread which suggested that Azzi is a "nervous" player too much is being made here about her not driving and not getting to the foul line. This is ironic because it overlooks one of the strengths of Azzi game-the mid range pull up as well as violates one of the preferences of the UCONN offense- movement of the ball by passing vs dribbling. Why should Azzi drive into traffic and try and draw contact when she can pull up and score 2 points so effortlessly. Contrary to some of the suggestions being made here not all drives end at the basket; especially when you are talking about perimeter players who start many of hose drives behind the arc. Too many projections are also being made about how Azzi is playing on this USA basketball team and how that will translate to her play at UCONN. At UCONN Azzi will get a proper high ball screen to start most of the offensive sets. On this USA basketball team there is not a single player that can set that screen at a UCONN level. Even if this USA team had a player that could set that screen you don't have a coach in Cori that would know what to do next. Azzi will be a far better player at UCONN that she is displaying here where she's being pretty good:D.
Great points. Not sure how many realize how limited some of the teammates and the coach are. The competition is making them look advanced.

Reaction Score
Can I ask because I see this thrown around a lot, what makes her a starter next season? It’s not a necessity for the team so why do we have that penciled in? Especially with all we have coming back. This is not a knock AT ALL to Azzi, just curious as to why were so certain she starts next season with nothing shown at the college level.
Instead of asking why, ask why not? It’s not like we have an all American shooting guard returning, or a proven jr and senior playing in front of her at her position. The only way I see her not starting next year it’ll be due to Geno going with 2 post players up front instead of the 4 guard line up that has worked for years.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom