Azzi Fudd U-19 stats after 6 games... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Azzi Fudd U-19 stats after 6 games...

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Azzi will be a far better player at UCONN that she is displaying here where she's being pretty good:D.
She will because Geno will demand it. She shot poorly (2-10) but sometimes shots don't fall. I'm surprised by how passive Azzi played in today's game. She was the least aggressive of all the guards, seemingly content to let others grab rebounds, grab loose balls, run the floor hard and take the ball in to the lane. She's obviously a skilled and intelligent player but Geno will demand that she show more than she showed today.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Michelle Voepel article about Sue and Diana. She described Sue as a pass point point guard who also happens to be a very good shooter and Diana as a scorer who also happens to be a great passer. I think we may be seeing a reprise of that in Paige and Azzi.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Instead of asking why, ask why not? It’s not like we have an all American shooting guard returning, or a proven jr and senior playing in front of her at her position. The only way I see her not starting next year it’ll be due to Geno going with 2 post players up front instead of the 4 guard line up that has worked for years.
Christyn Williams was outstanding throughout out 2nd half of last season including the NCAA tournament. If she plays like she did last season she will be an All American.

Reaction Score
Instead of asking why, ask why not? It’s not like we have an all American shooting guard returning, or a proven jr and senior playing in front of her at her position. The only way I see her not starting next year it’ll be due to Geno going with 2 post players up front instead of the 4 guard line up that has worked for years.
But we do have 2 proven seniors ahead of her as well as a npoy and a proven forward who came off the bench as possibly our best big and a high energy point guard in Nika. So, that’s why I ask why does Azzi start? What is it that makes her a lock to start next season? It’s simply not a necessity for her to start unless someone is hurt. Will she play a crap ton absolutely but I don’t think she starts simply for the fact of we return everyone including our college game experienced starting 5.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Technically no UCONN doesn't have a returning AA shooting guard. What the team does have is two 3 year starters in Evina and Christyn and the reigning POY in Paige. I don't imagine Geno not starting any of those 3 players. The 4 guard rotation of last year was out of necessity and recall that is was an injury to Anna primarily that led to that 4 guards starting. Also don't forget that a pair of forwards (Aaliyah and Aubrey) were placed into the starting lineup (and failed) before Geno ultimately settled on that 4 guard line up. This year is different because of the addition of Dorka (a senior) and an improved Aaliyah. IMO Geno starts 4 seniors (ONO, Evina, Christyn, Dorka) and Paige. Aaliyah will get plenty of minutes ( may ultimately start) rotating up front for both Dorka and ONO. Azzi will get her minutes backing up both Paige & Christyn.
Now before all the ardent Nika supporters start getting at me, although she was a starter last year she will face an a very steep uphill climb to retain that starting position and even to get minutes in meaningful games. The reason is simply productivity. Nika averaged 24.4 MPG last year and 4.9 PPG. That's simply not enough productivity especially when three of the options for those minutes are now Azzi, Dorka and Caroline.

Reaction Score
Technically no UCONN doesn't have a returning AA shooting guard. What the team does have is two 3 year starters in Evina and Christyn and the reigning POY in Paige. I don't imagine Geno not starting any of those 3 players. The 4 guard rotation of last year was out of necessity and recall that is was an injury to Anna primarily that led to that 4 guards starting. Also don't forget that a pair of forwards (Aaliyah and Aubrey) were placed into the starting lineup (and failed) before Geno ultimately settled on that 4 guard line up. This year is different because of the addition of Dorka (a senior) and an improved Aaliyah. IMO Geno starts 4 seniors (ONO, Evina, Christyn, Dorka) and Paige. Aaliyah will get plenty of minutes ( may ultimately start) rotating up front for both Dorka and ONO. Azzi will get her minutes backing up both Paige & Christyn.
Now before all the ardent Nika supporters start getting at me, although she was a starter last year she will face an a very steep uphill climb to retain that starting position and even to get minutes in meaningful games. The reason is simply productivity. Nika averaged 24.4 MPG last year and 4.9 PPG. That's simply not enough productivity especially when three of the options for those minutes are now Azzi, Dorka and Caroline.
I'm with ya pal but start ducking. They'll be coming with the pitchforks.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the stats on Azzi's U19 games. I love the assist to turnover ratio, 3.71. Those are really nice. The shooting, from the two games that I watched, she has a smooth shooting stroke. She has put in the work and that shot looks great!

Reaction Score
interesting that you think ONO and Dorka start together.........Dorka is a mystery to me.........is she the great outside shooter that we saw for basically one season or not? I know she's got a tough inside presence and is a far better finisher then ONO.......I hope her aggressiveness rubs off on everybody (other then Nika who surely doesn't need that)

Reaction Score
I am not concerned about Azzi's offense, she will show plenty of that at UConn and will be happily rewarded for her unselfishness. I am sometimes amazed that even when she is open for a 3, she would quickly pass to an open teammate who is closer to the basket. On this team, most of the guards drive but not often dish to other guards....though they do to the bigs. Noticeably, most of them don't look for Azzi as the first or second option but she soldiers on and plays as a team player should. That last 3 pointer against Australia in the championship game shows her quick release and accuracy.....

What I am a little more concerned about is her defense. She does work hard but several of the opposing guards in these knockout stage games often leave her behind. And when she is close guarding them, there is not enough activity with the hands. That usually is OK if you have quick hands like Gabby. Also, there are moments when she lets an opportunity pass her by: she follows her man diligently but when the ball carrier crosses her path, I haven't seen her improvise and go for a steal or trap.....of course, the timing has to be perfect for those things to have a positive outcome. There are little things she needs to polish.....but you would expect that for an incoming freshman. She does have the body type to withstand contact on defense (and offense, too).

On balance, she will be another great player for UConn because these will be corrected to turn her into a well-rounded player. Given her aptitude, I am looking forward to a different player come tournament time this season.

Reaction Score
You can't be hard on a freshman for not being good on defense. Most, if not all, great players aren't required to play much defense in high school.

Reaction Score
Agree with your forecast re: starters. Intrigued with coming year since we will likely be seeing two strong inside players (ONO and either Aaliyah or Dorka) playing together. Can't remember when we had so much size and depth.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Somebody has to throw the ball to them

Reaction Score
From all of her mixtapes, I expected her to be shooting 95%+ from 3pt-land. A bit disappointing to see barely above 50%.

Laugh Laughing GIF by Nerdist.com

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
You can't be hard on a freshman for not being good on defense. Most, if not all, great players aren't required to play much defense in high school.
:eek: Are you talking about UCONN WBB here? For UCONN women's basketball if you can't defend your position you don't play regardless of class.

Reaction Score
:eek: Are you talking about UCONN WBB here? For UCONN women's basketball if you can't defend your position you don't play regardless of class.

If I remember correctly, Paige did not play very good defense at the beginning of the season and it did not affect her minutes very much, if at all.

Regarding Azzi, I'm sure she is learning to play defense right now. If she is as good as posters are saying, whether she catches on defensively right away or not, I doubt her minutes will be affected.

As with everything, time will tell.

Reaction Score

Well KLS played her freshman year and wasn't much of a defender.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
If I remember correctly, Paige did not play very good defense at the beginning of the season and it did not affect her minutes very much, if at all.
Regarding Azzi, I'm sure she is learning to play defense right now. If she is as good as posters are saying, whether she catches on defensively right away or not, I doubt her minutes will be affected.
Very few freshman come to UCONN playing defense good enough to satisfy Geno. Kia Nurse was perhaps the last of very few exceptions during Geno tenure. Much like KML, KLS and Christyn Williams Geno will demand max effort on defensive and consistent improvement from Azzi and Paige. As long as they are maxing out and improving it will not negatively impact their minutes. If you want to a poster child for what Geno "demands" of all his players, regardless of how offensively gifted, go watch Christyn Williams' effort on Caitlin Clark in sweet 16 game.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Well KLS played her freshman year and wasn't much of a defender.
When Geno said to KLS "You are just not working hard enough" it was defense Geno had in mind.
BTW KLS became a starter after both Napheesa Collier and Gabby Williams started games. Improved defense by KLS had a great deal to do with that.

Reaction Score
When Geno said to KLS "You are just not working hard enough" it was defense Geno had in mind.
BTW KLS became a starter after both Napheesa Collier and Gabby Williams started games. Improved defense by KLS had a great deal to do with that.
I thought she was BEFORE the other two.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

Paige in the beginning may have had some defensive lapses but she always anticipated the passing lanes and more than made up for the occasional hiccup with game changing steals and scores. As Geno said, she was like Nykesha Sales.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I thought she was BEFORE the other two.
Negative. Gabby Williams started the first 7 games of the season at the SF position. Napheesa replaced Gabby in the starting lineup for game 8 against FSU. Napheesa would remain in the starting lineup for the next 8 games. KLS did not get her first start until the Temple game (game 16) of the season where she was spectacular shooting 5 of 8 from deep 8 of 12 overall and leading the team in assists.

Reaction Score
You criticize Azzi for deferring to other players, and you criticize other players for being ball hogs. Azzi is a team player. That's what UConn is all about, sharing the ball and looking for the best shot.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom