Azzi Fudd settling in | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Azzi Fudd settling in

Reaction Score
Maybe she is convincing herself of that but being compared to Paige as approximate equals, there are far more expectations on her than any other freshman coming in. I am confident she will handle it well and have a very strong freshman year but I have to remind myself not to be disappointed if she does not sweep every award as a freshman like Paige did
The difference is the team doesn't need her. When Paige came in, we had just lost Crystal and Megan - two very big shoes to fill. With a bigger team that has a dozen players with collegiate experience already, Geno can ease the newcomers in which will help keep the pressure off.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I think you maybe confusing General MacArthur with General Eisenhower. It was General MacArthur mother that moved into the Hotel Thayer (just outside the main gate) and remained there during his entire tenure as a Cadet. General Eisenhower's mother was actually a lifelong pacifist who was quite disappointed in young Dwight's decision to attend The Military Academy.
Yes. Another senior moment. As I pointed out to Ed4ourgirls, “Old Boneyarders never die. They simply fade away.”

Reaction Score
I think you maybe confusing General MacArthur with General Eisenhower. It was General MacArthur mother that moved into the Hotel Thayer (just outside the main gate) and remained there during his entire tenure as a Cadet. General Eisenhower's mother was actually a lifelong pacifist who was quite disappointed in young Dwight's decision to attend The Military Academy.
This post belongs on The General Board.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Great personality, great work ethic, just another great addition to the UConn family. Impressed that her family will be able to attend all her games. With them near by, plus her relationship with Paige, its almost like being at home. Welcome Azzi to the family.
Home can never be overrated. For school years that begin in late August, many freshmen begin to get "home sick" around mid-October. Home sickness is real to a freshman. Remember the phrase that Dorothy had to say and repeat to get back home? And she said it to Auntie Em too. ;) She was right!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm going way out on a limb here. At some point in the future, the starting guards for USA basketball, now the Rushmore GOATs Sue and DT, will be replaced by Paige and Azzi. Sue and DT, win another one! Paige and Azzi, win a few more. I desperately want (UCONN) hoops!

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
The difference is the team doesn't need her. When Paige came in, we had just lost Crystal and Megan - two very big shoes to fill. With a bigger team that has a dozen players with collegiate experience already, Geno can ease the newcomers in which will help keep the pressure off.
Not if any of the returners other than Paige have the same issues with 3 point shooting. She will be expected to be an effective if not elite 3pt shooter at the very least and fill a significant weakness. (Especially with Anna gone). And early in the season is where we get the strongest OOC schedule so into the fire.

Reaction Score
We definitely do need her. Did you see our abysmal three point shooting last year?

Reaction Score
We definitely do need her. Did you see our abysmal three point shooting last year?
We replaced our entire back court last season with freshman, one of which was from another country. Sure early on 3 point shooting wasn't so hot, but in the second half of the season Nika and Paige settled in nicely, and they will keep getting better and more consistent. Also I wouldn't describe anything about the team last year as abysmal. They were one clunker against Arizona away from playing for all the marbles and were ranked as the best team for half the season.

Reaction Score
Yes, that’s a little weird, although not unprecedented. Johnny Manziel’s parents purchased a condo near the TX A&M campus when he played football for the Aggies. Also, Dwight Eisenhower’s mother moved from her home in Kansas to an apartment near campus when her son attended West Point.
Parents moving to be closer to their children, for college...not weird. Old people following teenage girls, who they have no relation to, on social media... extremely weird.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
I'll predict that over the next several seasons Fudd & Bueckers will split votes for NPOY and another player will win. With the array of talent up and down UConn's bench no one is going to lead the country in scoring or rebounding and POY voters will vote for a prolific scorer. But I predict that Fudd/Bueckers will be 1st team AA's for their entire careers. How's that for hyping a kid who hasn't had even one official practice yet?? :rolleyes: :eek::D
What that's all? I was expecting a couple more paragraphs. ;) I think we all have to remember that when Paige came in there was a large and I mean large hole that she filled. She was great and got to showcase her talents 38 minutes a game something Azzi probably won't have the opportunity to duplicate. Not because of lesser talent, just lesser chances, what with much more talent and players to help the team. We all wait with great anticipation for that first game when we get to see the next dynamic duo begin to monopolize the WCBB scene.

Reaction Score
UConn ranked 33rd out of 336 D1 teams shooting just under 36% last season. Not sure I would call that abysmal. As information, Iowa lead the nation at 41%.
Without Bueckers' 46.4% they're down to 32%. Is that even in the top 100? And PB took almost a quarter of their 3 pointers. I'd say they can use whatever Fudd can give them to open up that inside against good teams.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I'll predict that over the next several seasons Fudd & Bueckers will split votes for NPOY and another player will win. With the array of talent up and down UConn's bench no one is going to lead the country in scoring or rebounding and POY voters will vote for a prolific scorer. But I predict that Fudd/Bueckers will be 1st team AA's for their entire careers. How's that for hyping a kid who hasn't had even one official practice yet?? :rolleyes: :eek::D
Worked out OK for Tina and Maya. I am impressed with the quality of voting for NPOY generally - very seldom does it go to leading scorers, perhaps because it generally goes to a player in the elite eight game if not FF or NC, and seldom do those teams depend on a single player to score their points. Plum is probably the exception on her college FF team.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Without Bueckers' 46.4% they're down to 32%. Is that even in the top 100? And PB took almost a quarter of their 3 pointers. I'd say they can use whatever Fudd can give them to open up that inside against good teams.
I think Fudd will be a great addition. I’m hoping that Caroline also finds her shooting range from the arc to add yet another 3-pt shooter to the Huskies arsenal.

The suggestion was that “our” 3 pt shooting was abysmal. Paige is part of the team that shot a very respectable 36%. Why would we want to separate her from the team?

Also, during the Big Dance UConn upped their 3-pt shooting to 41% going 31/76 in 5 games.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Parents moving to be closer to their children, for college...not weird. Old people following teenage girls, who they have no relation to, on social media... extremely weird.
Aging parents moving closer to their children upon retirement is commonplace. Parents moving closer to their college kids is certainly unusual and perhaps a little weird imo.

Not sure what you’re implying with your last remark. This is a fan forum for UConn WBB. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Aging parents moving closer to their children upon retirement is commonplace. Parents moving closer to their college kids is certainly unusual and perhaps a little weird imo.

Not sure what you’re implying with your last remark. This is a fan forum for UConn WBB. Nothing more. Nothing less.

I did not interpret the article as saying that her parents are moving to Storrs. Don't her parents have jobs where they are now?

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I wasn't a super star bb player but if my parents had moved close to my college I would have transferred..
If you’re from CT and go to UConn, family is never far away. My parents were smart enough to stay away and never ask me how I spent my non- academic time. I volunteered info as discretion indicated.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I did not interpret the article as saying that her parents are moving to Storrs. Don't her parents have jobs where they are now?
I agree with your interpretation. I think we got a little sidetracked on this thread. I suspect the Fudds plan to travel to CT often to watch Azzi play and they found a decent rental, as opposed to continually booking hotel rooms.

Reaction Score

After my last remark, I suppose, imo would have sufficed. But, there was no implying anything. Other than it seems weird to me. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Reaction Score
I think Fudd will be a great addition. I’m hoping that Caroline also finds her shooting range from the arc to add yet another 3-pt shooter to the Huskies arsenal.

The suggestion was that “our” 3 pt shooting was abysmal. Paige is part of the team that shot a very respectable 36%. Why would we want to separate her from the team?

Also, during the Big Dance UConn upped their 3-pt shooting to 41% going 31/76 in 5 games.

I'm with you.

If we are going to add caveats then why not exclude the games with Nika prior to her getting big minutes? Once she became a regular in the GTOWN game she shot 37.7% from 3. Add that to Paige's and that backcourt is hardly abysmal.

And if we're going to look at caveats then why not decrement Saylor? She came in when games were well out of hand and she was 1-11.
And Anna Makurat is no longer on the team and she was 13-41 (31.7%). So if one were to say "our 3pt shooting was abysmal" - well one the players that contributed very, very little in big games shot 31.7% from 3 that dragged the 3pt% down-- is now gone.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Top freshman recruit Azzi Fudd is adjusting to UConn, eager to prepare for her freshman season – The Athletic

Even in the short span, the parents can tell their daughter is already enjoying UConn and embracing her new teammates, including turning to de facto team mom Evina Westbrook. “She’s feeling very comfortable,” Tim said.

Fudd’s relatives just bought a cottage not far from UConn’s campus, allowing them to be close to her during her collegiate career.

And as the Huskies’ second No. 1 prospect in as many years, Fudd will attract as much attention as Bueckers, who dominated throughout her freshman season. But Fudd is just excited about working her way back up and finally being at UConn.

“I don’t think it really affects me because I know that it’s a really cool label to have and everything,” Fudd said. “But now that I’m here, it means nothing. I’m back to being just a freshman.”
You think she's excited now, wait until she (and the team) get that first non-exhibition win under their belts, especially if she has as "exceptional" outing. ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom