Azzi Fudd settling in | The Boneyard

Azzi Fudd settling in

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Top freshman recruit Azzi Fudd is adjusting to UConn, eager to prepare for her freshman season – The Athletic

Even in the short span, the parents can tell their daughter is already enjoying UConn and embracing her new teammates, including turning to de facto team mom Evina Westbrook. “She’s feeling very comfortable,” Tim said.

Fudd’s relatives just bought a cottage not far from UConn’s campus, allowing them to be close to her during her collegiate career.

And as the Huskies’ second No. 1 prospect in as many years, Fudd will attract as much attention as Bueckers, who dominated throughout her freshman season. But Fudd is just excited about working her way back up and finally being at UConn.

“I don’t think it really affects me because I know that it’s a really cool label to have and everything,” Fudd said. “But now that I’m here, it means nothing. I’m back to being just a freshman.”

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Great personality, great work ethic, just another great addition to the UConn family. Impressed that her family will be able to attend all her games. With them near by, plus her relationship with Paige, its almost like being at home. Welcome Azzi to the family.

Reaction Score
How can I read the whole article? I use outline.com but it seems not ok.

Here is what works for me, at least for now. Google the article and click on the google link instead of the above link. They will ask you to sign in with your Google or Facebook account. I just sign in with my Google account and can read the article.

Reaction Score
Full article:

Around the time Azzi Fudd committed to UConn in November, she was texting friends in Storrs and across women’s college basketball who were preparing for their seasons. The conversations served as reminders of the time she had left in high school before she started partaking in those collegiate-level practices.

Now Fudd is finally practicing at the level she once only heard about.

“No, I cannot believe it. I’m excited for them,” Fudd said with a laugh in late May, ahead of her first college practice.

Fudd, the No. 1 recruit in the Class of 2021, arrived in Storrs on Memorial Day weekend, ahead of UConn’s summer session. She’s garnered plenty of attention as the latest top prospect to don a Huskies uniform. Yet, before she stepped foot on campus, Fudd was just counting down the days for her arrival.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I wasn't a super star bb player but if my parents had moved close to my college I would have transferred..
Yes, that’s a little weird, although not unprecedented. Johnny Manziel’s parents purchased a condo near the TX A&M campus when he played football for the Aggies. Also, Dwight Eisenhower’s mother moved from her home in Kansas to an apartment near campus when her son attended West Point.

W

wolfe613

Yes, that’s a little weird, although not unprecedented. Johnny Manziel’s parents purchased a condo near the TX A&M campus when he played football for the Aggies. Also, Dwight Eisenhower’s mother moved from her home in Kansas to an apartment near campus when her son attended West Point.
Didn't Paige's dad and his wife move closer to be with Paige, forgot what state it was but I believe they left Minnesota

Reaction Score
Didn't Paige's dad and his wife move closer to be with Paige, forgot what state it was but I believe they left Minnesota
They live in Maryland now. Don't think it was specifically for Paige though because Maryland is not exactly close to Storrs.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

Paige’s parents are divorced. One of them (mother?) is now living in MD.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Seems to have worked out better for Ike than for Johnny M. Maybe the parents had nothing to do with it, but I doubt it.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
When you resolve that, other than paying for the Athletic subscription, please let the rest of us know. ;)
It's the best $1 a month you are likely to spend.

Reaction Score
I wasn't a super star bb player but if my parents had moved close to my college I would have transferred..
I’m sure they moved and left no forwarding address would be my guess

Reaction Score
I know MacArthur's mother moved to be close to her son while he was at West Point, but this is
the first I had heard of Eisenhower's mom. Are you sure you aren't confusing the two?

Reaction Score
I love the quote "I'm back to being just a freshman". Not expecting anything to be handed to her and working hard to earn a spot in Geno's plans for the upcoming season.
Probably a little relief too not having to be the center of attention and carry the responsibilities of being the star. For now she's just another player sitting on the bench.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I think you maybe confusing General MacArthur with General Eisenhower. It was General MacArthur's mother that moved into the Hotel Thayer (just outside the main gate) and remained there during his entire tenure as a Cadet. General Eisenhower's mother was actually a lifelong pacifist who was quite disappointed in young Dwight's decision to attend The Military Academy.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Probably a little relief too not having to be the center of attention and carry the responsibilities of being the star. For now she's just another player sitting on the bench.
Maybe she is convincing herself of that but being compared to Paige as approximate equals, there are far more expectations on her than any other freshman coming in. I am confident she will handle it well and have a very strong freshman year but I have to remind myself not to be disappointed if she does not sweep every award as a freshman like Paige did

Reaction Score
Maybe she is convincing herself of that but being compared to Paige as approximate equals, there are far more expectations on her than any other freshman coming in. I am confident she will handle it well and have a very strong freshman year but I have to remind myself not to be disappointed if she does not sweep every award as a freshman like Paige did

I'll predict that over the next several seasons Fudd & Bueckers will split votes for NPOY and another player will win. With the array of talent up and down UConn's bench no one is going to lead the country in scoring or rebounding and POY voters will vote for a prolific scorer. But I predict that Fudd/Bueckers will be 1st team AA's for their entire careers. How's that for hyping a kid who hasn't had even one official practice yet?? :rolleyes: :eek::D

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom