Azzi Fudd Cover Story feature, sportscenter at noon 2/25 [merged thread] | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Azzi Fudd Cover Story feature, sportscenter at noon 2/25 [merged thread]

Reaction Score
I get a kick out of attempts to compare Paige and Azzi. They are different, complimentary players. I can hardly wait until the debate next fall about whether Azzi will start as a freshman. Remember, we had a similar debate just recently.
I started to read the article but could not finish it. All I could think of was Caroline Doty. Caroline was an "all world" player in her time and then had, what, 4 knee surgeries? Her final season ( her fifth at UCONN I think ) she gamely played and showed heart and skill. But it was painful to watch her. Caroline could not be what she once was, and became a player for whom fans ( me ) worried at every step she took, every cut she made and every leap off the floor for a rebound. Fudd was described, before her devastating injury, as the " best ever." I just did not want to read on because it is not possible (to my feeble negative mind) that she can ever be what she might have been. Surgery and technology have made near miracles possible. I sincerely they have done so here, as well. But i cannot get Caroline Doty out of my head. Life just isn't fair. I hope she has a great career. But don't look for Stephen Curry here. Not any more.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I'm thinking a line-up of Azzi, Paige, Caroline, Nika, and Olivia will be hard to guard from the arc. In various years, substitute Anna, Saylor, Amari, and Ice into the 3-point lineup. The Splash Sisters!
Did you just kick Christyn Williams off next year's roster (not to mention Evina)?

Reaction Score
I'm thinking a line-up of Azzi, Paige, Caroline, Nika, and Olivia will be hard to guard from the arc. In various years, substitute Anna, Saylor, Amari, and Ice into the 3-point lineup. The Splash Sisters!
Do you really believe Geno would kick Christyn and Evina to the curb or is this your wish list?

Reaction Score
Nika Muhl is the key in next years starting lineup. At PG we need a player who can see the floor, we need a player who can pass, we need a player who can play good defense. We can't have our best player play PG, evidenced by the change in Paiges points production when Nika was inserted into the starting lineup. The biggest question mark is how many points can Nike average a game. If she can average 10-12 pts a game, she should start. That will make the opposing team have to guard her. If EW comes back, she will not start. If she does, it will be in a "Pam Webber" role when she was a senior. Paige will start, Azzi will start and they will be the main scorers on the perimeter. The rest of the frontcourt will be Genos problem, and that we can see changing through out the season. Azzi will be a freshman, Paige and Nika will be sophomores. They are the backcourt for the next 3 years, probably the best backcourt in the history of the game, at least at UCONN.
Have to say that UConn will still need Christyn to start. Williams is a far more experienced and productive scorer than Nika. Paige and Azzi will ride shotgun to Liv, Aaliyah, and Christyn. Muhl is a solid off the bench option. If Caroline D. is college ready, she might get some of Williams' minutes. Aubrey is a situational player, and DeBerry will have a scant year to prepare to take over in the middle.
I do expect Evina to opt for the WNBA if possible given her chronic injuries. Christyn might also want to move early to the pros, but I think she needs a last strong year to build the necessary cred. With our guard situation, we will survive.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Christyn and E didn't make my cut as 3-point shooters. I love them as players and people, but not as 3-point shooters.
So does that mean that your lineup of "Azzi, Paige, Caroline, Nika, and Olivia" is not meant as a proposed starting lineup for next season, but rather as a specialty lineup for a situation or an opponent that needs to be attacked primarily from the 3-point line?

Reaction Score
I started to read the article but could not finish it. All I could think of was Caroline Doty. Caroline was an "all world" player in her time and then had, what, 4 knee surgeries? Her final season ( her fifth at UCONN I think ) she gamely played and showed heart and skill. But it was painful to watch her. Caroline could not be what she once was, and became a player for whom fans ( me ) worried at every step she took, every cut she made and every leap off the floor for a rebound. Fudd was described, before her devastating injury, as the " best ever." I just did not want to read on because it is not possible (to my feeble negative mind) that she can ever be what she might have been. Surgery and technology have made near miracles possible. I sincerely they have done so here, as well. But i cannot get Caroline Doty out of my head. Life just isn't fair. I hope she has a great career. But don't look for Stephen Curry here. Not any more.
Well if you had read on you would have read about Azzi returning to Steph Curry’s (boys) camp during her rehab, and only being able to participate in the 3-point shooting contest. She was only allowed to do this if she would walk between the shooting stations. She won (again).

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Can some one explain why Azzi's father had trepidations having Azzi play in the USA camp that led to the injury? I think that is what he said? Maybe I got it all wrong?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
So does that mean that your lineup of "Azzi, Paige, Caroline, Nika, and Olivia" is not meant as a proposed starting lineup for next season, but rather as a specialty lineup for a situation or an opponent that needs to be attacked primarily from the 3-point line?
Exactly. If we need a 3. Or just a lineup that Geno has on the floor for 3-5 minutes or so. It's not a starting lineup at all. It's the best 3-point shooters with enough versatility to play all 5 positions.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Can some one explain why Azzi's father had trepidations having Azzi play in the USA camp that led to the injury? I think that is what he said? Maybe I got it all wrong?

I don't know if Tim had some weird premonition or if he just preferred Azzi sticking to 5-on-5.

Reaction Score
I get a kick out of attempts to compare Paige and Azzi. They are different, complimentary players. I can hardly wait until the debate next fall about whether Azzi will start as a freshman. Remember, we had a similar debate just recently.
I don't think there will be much need for debate. The only reason might be she can't guard a chair or doesn't have a good union rep.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I agree that Azzi should be one of the better players on the team next year, but I can’t see her starting if Westbrook returns, where will Azzi start? The 4th spot in the line up is sorta up for grabs, I think Nika is a good talent, but Azzi is the better shooter, maybe she’ll take her spot.
I thought about that. I could be wrong, but I don’t think Westbrook returns next year. The latest mock draft has her being the last pick in the first round.

She’ll be 23 next year. She’s done everything asked of her, and everything she wanted to do except win a championship. Her future is in the WNBA, not at UConn. I think there will an opening in the starting lineup, and Azzi fills it.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I thought about that. I could be wrong, but I don’t think Westbrook returns next year. The latest mock draft has her being the last pick in the first round.

She’ll be 23 next year. She’s done everything asked of her, and everything she wanted to do except win a championship. Her future is in the WNBA, not at UConn. I think there will an opening in the starting lineup, and Azzi fills it.

I hate to say it but I think her knee issues have taken their toll. With at best an average 3pt shot, you have to be explosive to survive in the WNBA and I don't see it. Yes, she has alot of intangibles but you need more. I think if she comes back to UConn, it will be on the bench if Azzi shows the same level as a Freshman that Paige does and CW does not take a step back. Being groomed for a leadership position in the BB world maybe??

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I hate to say it but I think her knee issues have taken their toll. With at best an average 3pt shot, you have to be explosive to survive in the WNBA and I don't see it. Yes, she has alot of intangibles but you need more. I think if she comes back to UConn, it will be on the bench if Azzi shows the same level as a Freshman that Paige does and CW does not take a step back. Being groomed for a leadership position in the BB world maybe??
I'm on the outside looking in. I don't know nor should I, the extent of her knee condition which as you suggest could play a large role in her decision to go or stay. For all we know, that may be a decision that has already been made. I think it's fair to say that "Miss Buckets" is the best player in this team.

"IF" Azzi is as good as she's touted and proclaimed to be (and I believe she is) and for the sake of argument, is Paiges' equal, how do you not start her? Her field goal percentage is so good, we may have to call her "Buckets ll".
And that's a good thing!! :)

As Rocky said, THAT will probably the hot topic of discussion over the summer. Thinking back to the Revlon commercial years ago................."does she or doesn't she?" Its rare for freshmen to come in to THIS program and start from day1. Paige did it, So can Azzi. Azzi and Paige are "rare" freshmen. Next year you'll have Christyn, Nika, Paige and Azzi (and Evina if she comes back). Only 4 of them can start. Who sits? :confused: We'll have 7 long months to figure it out.

Last edited:

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
EW stay or go, that's the question, at least one of them. Answers, not just yet, time and circumstances have to play out and they will, as we are left to see the pieces fall into place. First does E stay or, we may know sooner rather than later. If she is going I think we get an announcement shortly after the season ends making it easier for all us arm chair coaches to put our lineups together. Regardless, When Azzi arrives if she is all she is advertised to be does anyone really believe that she doesn't start from day one. The only back court player immune from the starting discussion is the Pale Ryder. No way she doesn't start, everyone else will have to fight to be on the floor for the season opening tip off.

Reaction Score
Well if you had read on you would have read about Azzi returning to Steph Curry’s (boys) camp during her rehab, and only being able to participate in the 3-point shooting contest. She was only allowed to do this if she would walk between the shooting stations. She won (again).

Knowing that she was only allowed to walk between shots is not exactly a relief as to her physical abilities. I am like everyone, and want to believe she will be " good as new"...maybe better. But let's be real. Those injuries were horrendous, and she is fortunate to even walk normally, much less play a sport that requires putting immense pressure on knee joints, at the highest level of competition. I am just suggesting that we not all simply, " close our eyes," and pretend nothing happened to this incredible athlete. And believe me, the game announcers will endlessly focus on her injury/surgeries/recovery anytime she appears on the court. So we will find it hard to put out of our minds.

Reaction Score
Knowing that she was only allowed to walk between shots is not exactly a relief as to her physical abilities. I am like everyone, and want to believe she will be " good as new"...maybe better. But let's be real. Those injuries were horrendous, and she is fortunate to even walk normally, much less play a sport that requires putting immense pressure on knee joints, at the highest level of competition. I am just suggesting that we not all simply, " close our eyes," and pretend nothing happened to this incredible athlete. And believe me, the game announcers will endlessly focus on her injury/surgeries/recovery anytime she appears on the court. So we will find it hard to put out of our minds.
I’m concerned too. These kids have overused their knees for years by the time they get to college - most of them wear the compression sleeves even in high school. I saw Azzi play in a tournament in Phoenix before she got hurt and she was wearing them. Ditto here in this Jan, 2019 video...

The overuse may not have anything to do with the ACL/MCL tears, but I worry about it.

Anyway, all I was saying is after her injury Azzi can still shoot. I mean she can still REALLY, REALLY shoot. How well can she shoot? Better than EVERY other elite male or female player at the Steph Curry camp, that’s how well.

Reaction Score
Best of luck to the young lady moving forward; scary to have those kind of injuries that young.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
But both equal in stardom. Different but complimentary
Maybe in terms of relatively equal powers in the DC family, Supergirl and Wonder Woman

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Maybe in terms of relatively equal powers in the DC family, Supergirl and Wonder Woman
okay...I will accept that...sounds like the best analogy. And, since they will be interchangeably good we don't even have to identify which is which...except for the color of the hair that might give it away. :)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom