Azzi Fudd Cover Story feature, sportscenter at noon 2/25 [merged thread] | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Azzi Fudd Cover Story feature, sportscenter at noon 2/25 [merged thread]

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Paige Buckets and Auto Fudd the dynamic duo.
Anyone here that doesn't believe that Azzi will start next year? I was extremely skeptical during the summer that Paige would just walk in here and start from day one. Freshmen very seldom do that in Geno's program. I wanted to see her perform at THIS level against Division 1 competition first, before I anointed her. I was from Missouri on that issue. I'm very happy to report that - THAT ship has sailed!!

After the first game against UMass Lowell way back in December, I was convinced. Like so many others. I was not only convinced she could play at this level, I wanted the ball in HER hands as much as possible. At this point, I'm convinced that Azzi is the real deal. I'd be shocked if Geno has Azzi coming off the bench at any point next season.
Too much potential by letting them play together. No one on the team knows Paige better than Azzi.

I'm calling now!!! When they leave UConn, their jerseys will be on the wall in Gampel right next to each other.

Azzi & Paige = Batman & Robin. You can figure out which one is which. ;) I'm guessing UConn ticket sales for home games will increase. Fans in the area will want to see THAT team in person. I'm also on board with the notion that next year's team will be better than this year's team. Once again, UConn will be THE BIGGEST game of the year on all of their opponent's schedule.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I get a kick out of attempts to compare Paige and Azzi. They are different, complimentary players. I can hardly wait until the debate next fall about whether Azzi will start as a freshman. Remember, we had a similar debate just recently.
It's good that they always have nice things to say about each other!

Last edited:

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
Anyone here that doesn't believe that Azzi will start next year? I was extremely skeptical during the summer that Paige would just walk in here and start from day one. Freshmen very seldom do that in Geno's program. I wanted to see her perform at THIS level against Division 1 competition first, before I anointed her. I was from Missouri on that issue. I'm very happy to report that - THAT ship has sailed!!

After the first game against UMass Lowell way back in December, I was convinced. Like so many others. I was not only convinced she could play at this level, I wanted the ball in HER hands as much as possible. At this point, I'm convinced that Azzi is the real deal. I'd be shocked if Geno has Azzi coming off the bench at any point next season.
Too much potential by letting them play together. No one on the team knows Paige better than Azzi.

I'm calling now!!! When they leave UConn, their jersey's will be on the wall in Gampel right next to each other.

Azzi & Paige = Batman & Robin. You can figure out which one is which. ;) I'm guessing UConn ticket sales for home games will increase. Fans in the area will wanted to see THAT team in person. I'm also on board with the notion that next year's team will be better than this year's team.
After watching every available game film of Paige from 8th grade on I was confident that Paige would start, my only question was would she be a 1 or a 2 turns out she shifts easily between all of them including at times playing the 3. Like you I have no doubt that Azzi will be a starter from day 1 if healthy, she and Paige will be joined not only on the wall, but in WCBB lore as the best backcourt tandem on record. The future is bright, I will be on the edge of my seat for every game. For now I am enjoying the ride this years team is taking me on.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
After watching every available game film of Paige from 8th grade on I was confident that Paige would start, my only question was would she be a 1 or a 2 turns out she shifts easily between all of them including at times playing the 3. Like you I have no doubt that Azzi will be a starter from day 1 if healthy, she and Paige will be joined not only on the wall, but in WCBB lore as the best backcourt tandem on record. The future is bright, I will be on the edge of my seat for every game. For now I am enjoying the ride this years team is taking me on.
Me too. I really don't like to look ahead. There will be plenty of time for that during the spring and summer months.
Azzi is already everyone's ALL-American. Except for injury (heaven forbid), I can't see any scenario were Azzi does not start. Like Paige, she'll be one of the five best players on the team.

Reaction Score
I agree that Azzi should be one of the better players on the team next year, but I can’t see her starting if Westbrook returns, where will Azzi start? The 4th spot in the line up is sorta up for grabs, I think Nika is a good talent, but Azzi is the better shooter, maybe she’ll take her spot.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Azzi commented the person guarding her was “really physical” when she went down. You can see in the vid it was Hailey Van Lith guarding her.
Then we need to play Louisville next year

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I agree that Azzi should be one of the better players on the team next year, but I can’t see her starting if Westbrook returns, where will Azzi start? The 4th spot in the line up is sorta up for grabs, I think Nika is a good talent, but Azzi is the better shooter, maybe she’ll take her spot.
Azzi may well start next season, but it will be anything but a given. Even if Evina moves on, Geno will have a lot of choices. IMO Liv, Christyn & Paige are the 3 locks to start. I don’t think it’ll be possible to keep Aaliyah out of the starting lineup in her sophomore year.

That leaves one starting spot available between Azzi, Nika, Anna, Aubrey and several other talented players who didn’t come to UConn to watch games from the bench.

One thing is certain. Practices will be absolute wars, with players competing fiercely for PT.

Reaction Score
Azzi commented the person guarding her was “really physical” when she went down. You can see in the vid it was Hailey Van Lith guarding her.

Then we need to play Louisville next year

I don't think Hailey Van Lith was trying to hurt her, or that it was "her fault" or anything. You can bet that won't be the last time someone defending Azzi gets physical with her. When she starts lighting up the NCAA (probably from her first game), she'll get bruised up on a regular basis.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Can you tell me the link needed to view sport center on line....I also watched for one hour no Azzi...lucky for me it was taped so I fastward the program.
The video in post #7 of this thread.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I don't think Hailey Van Lith was trying to hurt her, or that it was "her fault" or anything. You can bet that won't be the last time someone defending Azzi gets physical with her. When she starts lighting up the NCAA (probably from her first game), she'll get bruised up on a regular basis.
But they will have to deal with Aaliyah Edwards!

1614298165860.png

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
I strenuous object to the line "Azzi Fudd is the best high school player the women's game has seen in years." I am sure the best girl's high school player in years graduated last year, Paige Bueckers! Every game I watched where Azzi and Paige competed, Paige's team won with Paige out playing Azzi. Not dramtically but still noticeably. Hyperbole at its worse.
"She is, by most accounts,"

Selective editing....

Reaction Score
I am not a doctor nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn last night but I have some experience with this. My daughter tore her ACL in college basketball and in college lacrosse. There are 2 basic procedures. The first is an allograft in which tissue from a cadaver is used. it is a quicker recovery but perhaps not as durable. The second is an autograft from the opposite knee which is then put in as the ACL/MCL on the injured knee. Hence the scar on the opposite knee. It is a highly painful injury, surgery, and recovery and her mother was very rightly very proud of her comeback as I was for my daughter. This is a terrific kid who, with Paige, are going to be the role models, inspiration and gold standard for little and not so little girls all over the world for 20 years or more.

My daughter had two ACLs. A third option is to use a ligament from the hamstring.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Nika Muhl is the key in next years starting lineup. At PG we need a player who can see the floor, we need a player who can pass, we need a player who can play good defense. We can't have our best player play PG, evidenced by the change in Paiges points production when Nika was inserted into the starting lineup. The biggest question mark is how many points can Nike average a game. If she can average 10-12 pts a game, she should start. That will make the opposing team have to guard her. If EW comes back, she will not start. If she does, it will be in a "Pam Webber" role when she was a senior. Paige will start, Azzi will start and they will be the main scorers on the perimeter. The rest of the frontcourt will be Genos problem, and that we can see changing through out the season. Azzi will be a freshman, Paige and Nika will be sophomores. They are the backcourt for the next 3 years, probably the best backcourt in the history of the game, at least at UCONN.

Reaction Score
Nika Muhl is the key in next years starting lineup. At PG we need a player who can see the floor, we need a player who can pass, we need a player who can play good defense. We can't have our best player play PG, evidenced by the change in Paiges points production when Nika was inserted into the starting lineup. The biggest question mark is how many points can Nike average a game. If she can average 10-12 pts a game, she should start. That will make the opposing team have to guard her. If EW comes back, she will not start. If she does, it will be in a "Pam Webber" role when she was a senior. Paige will start, Azzi will start and they will be the main scorers on the perimeter. The rest of the frontcourt will be Genos problem, and that we can see changing through out the season. Azzi will be a freshman, Paige and Nika will be sophomores. They are the backcourt for the next 3 years, probably the best backcourt in the history of the game, at least at UCONN.
With Azzi on the team Paige can move back to point guard, she won’t have to carry the scoring load all the time.

Reaction Score
After watching this I kept on expecting Azzi to enter last nights game....

The wait is going to be painful

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I'm thinking a line-up of Azzi, Paige, Caroline, Nika, and Olivia will be hard to guard from the arc. In various years, substitute Anna, Saylor, Amari, and Ice into the 3-point lineup. The Splash Sisters!

Reaction Score
I agree. I saw the play and although it’s physical I don’t think there was any mal-intent. In college she may see worse (like a UCF style team).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom