Azzi & CW Out Fri & Sun | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Azzi & CW Out Fri & Sun

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Just waiting for the Red Sea to part…..
geno_part.jpg

Reaction Score
It was crazy to hear Geno talk about how he has never been in this situation because there was one year where they apparently lost Shea and then I think he said Sveta and they just plugged in DT off the bench. How loaded does your team have to be where Taurasi is like a 3rd stringer?
Yes the 2001 team was loaded, original starters were [ I believe]
Bird (Jr) - Shea (Sr) - Svet (Sr) - Cash (Jr) - Schumacher (Sr)
with bench of T Williams (Jr), A Jones (Jr), and Taurasi (Fr)

Svet went out mid-season and Shea in the BET
Morgan Valley was a frosh on that team

Injuries were worse in 97-98, in which Shea was out all year, Sales tore her achillies late in the season, and Sveta played the NCAAs on a bad foot.
And in 98-99, Bird had an ACL, Shea was still recovering then I think broke her wrist, Cash had a stress fracture, and Keirsten Walters had perpetual nagging injuries that ended her career a year later.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
How does that help when their guards penetrate and drive to the basket?
We will have bigs underneath to intimadate and block shots Its tuff to penetrate when your facing a zone defense anchored by Bigs.

Reaction Score
The message about Azzi is clear ( she won't play) but the reason why is muddled. And that is what we really want to know. Is she in covid protocol like Williams? Is she still not recovered? Is she not in condition ( certainly ). As an aside, I think it would be ludicrous to target Azzi's first game exposure against South Carolina. But maybe it make sense. Throw her into the fire.
Or under the bus.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
How does that help when their guards penetrate and drive to the basket?
I'm hoping that Liv and Caroline get back their shot blocking prowess that they had prior to the Oregon game.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I'm hoping that Liv and Caroline get back their shot blocking prowess that they had prior to the Oregon game.
Liv had 3 blocks against OR and Caroline blocking shots is a luxury which we may not have if it leads to higher foul probability to a player we can't do without. I am fine with Caroline keeping her 6' 2" frames extendo arms high and keeping good vertical position,

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Liv had 3 blocks against OR and Caroline blocking shots is a luxury which we may not have if it leads to higher foul probability to a player we can't do without. I am fine with Caroline keeping her 6' 2" frames extendo arms high and keeping good vertical position,
You are correct. I just looked at the box score for the 5 games before Oregon, and even though Caroline had a few blocks, in my mind I thought she had a few more than she actually did block.

Reaction Score
I hope they don't bring Azzi back for SC but maybe if it's just 10-15 minutes or something like that. She's been running for over a week now right? She can maybe practice this week. We need her to get her health fixed. Hopefully Christin is asymptomatic and can play. The chances of beating SC without Paige and next to nil. I think with a full team ( Azzi, Paige and Chistin ) we'd have a 50/50 shot maybe as Caroline will help us especially against 2 short guards. We have to knock down the 3 pointers to beat them.
Paige should PROBABLY take the rest of the season off- but she won’t. I reference Geno’s (John’s) Hopkins comment.
She will force her way back, risking further injury,
Azzi- I’d be surprised if she comes back and don’t believe she should unless 1,000% healed.
I’ve been there with foot/ metacarpale fractures and breaks.
Tales a long long long long time to heal.
Full body weight and cutting stress concentrated on several square inches.
Sometimes still feel a little line/seam sensation after decades of injury.

Reaction Score
I see us playing zone, but with Nika and Caroline as the guards, Westbrook giving minutes to rest them or help if they get in foul trouble. I see Liv, Dorka and Edwards starting up front, 3 bigs at the back of the zone to pick up any guards rushing in, but they also have to stay out of foul trouble. So who backs up the bigs???? Maybe AD or Piath for a minute or two, but I doubt Geno trusts them for more. Maybe if Nika and CD are staying out of trouble, he can use Westbrook to give the bigs a break, or Westbrook comes in as a guard and CD moves to the 3??? 6 players is one too few. That is 33.3 minutes a piece. Hopefully we open a good size lead in the first half and Geno can use AD and Piath for a few more minutes to help give others a break. milk the TV timeouts, the time off for shooting very slow free throws, and our own time outs. Do like football, have people roll on the ground in agony for a few minutes, then get up and walk off the court, come back in a minute later? Or do like the good old days with CPTV, have about 40 minutes of time outs (or is it times out) for fundraising for SNY. Home game, we should be able to have someone blow a few circuits and turn out the lights for a few minutes, then maybe have some clock issues requiring time out to look into it. This game could go past 10 o'clock. We just need to work on it.

Reaction Score
Geno has flatly stated Nika will not play 40 minutes today. He even stated he will give a big lineup some PT. For example, maybe Liv, Dorka, and Edwards at the same time maybe.

Reaction Score
Yes the 2001 team was loaded, original starters were [ I believe]
Bird (Jr) - Shea (Sr) - Svet (Sr) - Cash (Jr) - Schumacher (Sr)
with bench of T Williams (Jr), A Jones (Jr), and Taurasi (Fr)

Svet went out mid-season and Shea in the BET
Morgan Valley was a frosh on that team

Injuries were worse in 97-98, in which Shea was out all year, Sales tore her achillies late in the season, and Sveta played the NCAAs on a bad foot.
And in 98-99, Bird had an ACL, Shea was still recovering then I think broke her wrist, Cash had a stress fracture, and Keirsten Walters had perpetual nagging injuries that ended her career a year later.
Those are great examples of previous teams that had to deal with devastating injuries. What I seem to recall, however, is against those huge handicaps we still played very well and probably exceeded expectations. So far when presented with similar scenarios, this group has not responded the same way or been able to adjust nearly as well.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom