Azzi - A few observations | The Boneyard

Azzi - A few observations

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
A few observations.

Her shot in the BET was not what we're used to but perfectly understandable given how long she was out. Hopefully the 3-pointers she made in the 3rd quarter last night were a sign that her stroke is back. No doubt she'll be getting up a ton of shots during the next 10 days.

I thought movement-wise she looked a little tentative. Hopefully, once the team resumes practicing, she feels more confident that the knee is and will be fine and she can move and play more freely.

The 3rd quarter last night showed what a game-changer her three-point shot is. Everyone on the court played well in the 3rd quarter, but Azzi's three-pointers changed the game completely. Those shots fired up her teammates and the crowd and was disheartening to her opponents.

And, as Rebecca Lobo said: "Fudd completely changes this team. After Saturday's game, Geno Auriemma said it just feels right when she's on the floor. He said nobody in America is adding a player like Fudd. All of her teammates now can take a deep breath because they don't feel like every shot they take is life or death."

Reaction Score
the part that concerned me about Azzi last night was that she seemed to lack explosiveness of movement which was evident especially when she was on the fast break or around the basket. Hopefully in the time before the NCAA and with more practice she can regain it.

Reaction Score
She looked tentative until the second half when it appeared that she was no longer thinking about the knee, but reacting as a basketball player.

I know we all want her back at 100%, mentally and physically, but there's no doubt that:

1. It might be in the back of her mind for a long time -- which is OK because-- see #2;
2. More important than the desires of fans is her own long-term health ( anticipating a long and fruitful career, God willing and the creeks don't rise).

Reaction Score
A few observations.

Her shot in the BET was not what we're used to but perfectly understandable given how long she was out. Hopefully the 3-pointers she made in the 3rd quarter last night were a sign that her stroke is back. No doubt she'll be getting up a ton of shots during the next 10 days.

I thought movement-wise she looked a little tentative. Hopefully, once the team resumes practicing, she feels more confident that the knee is and will be fine and she can move and play more freely.

The 3rd quarter last night showed what a game-changer her three-point shot is. Everyone on the court played well in the 3rd quarter, but Azzi's three-pointers changed the game completely. Those shots fired up her teammates and the crowd and was disheartening to her opponents.

And, as Rebecca Lobo said: "Fudd completely changes this team. After Saturday's game, Geno Auriemma said it just feels right when she's on the floor. He said nobody in America is adding a player like Fudd. All of her teammates now can take a deep breath because they don't feel like every shot they take is life or death."
I agree that it may have looked that way, but it might not be all mental. The brace is very lightweight but it does prevent a lot of the lateral shifting of the knee which then alters the way you move and feel until you subconsciously adjust to it. I believe she'll be fine with it in another week or so.

Reaction Score
the part that concerned me about Azzi last night was that she seemed to lack explosiveness of movement which was evident especially when she was on the fast break or around the basket. Hopefully in the time before the NCAA and with more practice she can regain it.
She's wearing that huge brace on her leg. I imagine mobility and speed will be somewhat limited.

Reaction Score
A few observations.

She’s still trying to get her leg strength back. Most of the shots that didn’t go in hit the front of the rim and yes she is tentative. She passed up one shot and Geno looked at her and made the shooting motion with his hand. On another play, she pulled up for a short jumper that missed when she noticed that the human pogo stick, Dalce, patrolling the fast break at full speed. A healthy Azzi would have taken it to the basket.

On another note, much respect to Dalce. She is an athlete and has a lot of bounce.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I thought Azzi looked like a very smart player. Though she didn't take some open shots, she put up a fair number, which was the goal. Her percentage was down, but that's not surprising, given a little rust. She seemed to play good defense and used her quick hands. Those 3s in transition were FAST! Villanova had the ball, then a few seconds later UConn had 3 more points. And again. Shades of KML. And the driving lanes are open for everyone when Azzi and Lou are on the floor. She is a difference-maker.

Reaction Score
Physically, I think she looked fine. She seemed to be able to move laterally pretty good which was my concern. I think it’s more about trying to fit back in and some hesitancy on her part. Once Geno gives her the ‘shot the damn rock’ edict, she’ll be fine, or so we hope. That shot she threw up at the buzzer, almost matter of fact like, gives indication of what she’s capable of.

JBK

Reaction Score
A few observations.

Agree with your comments.
Azzi has spoiled us.
Villanova shoots 5 for 29 from three last night and Azzi shoots 3 for 8 and we ( me included) were thinking she was off.
After months of no competition and hardly any practice - she will only get better —
Look out !!!

Reaction Score
It seems that Geno has decided to play Azzi as much as possible, knowing that the more she plays the quicker she will become herself. However, these minutes are reducing Aubrey's playing time tremendously. Too bad. She has been playing great, but disappeared last night after Azzi came in. Maybe it was because we didn't need her under the basket last night with Dorka and Aaliyah being so dominant.

Reaction Score
It seems that Geno has decided to play Azzi as much as possible, knowing that the more she plays the quicker she will become herself. However, these minutes are reducing Aubrey's playing time tremendously. Too bad. She has been playing great, but disappeared last night after Azzi came in. Maybe it was because we didn't need her under the basket last night with Dorka and Aaliyah being so dominant.
Aubrey was hurt thats why she didn't come back in.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Aubrey's minutes were down last night because she had back spasms. That's why she was pulled after the 1st minute of the 3rd quarter.

Azzi and Caroline will cut into Aubrey's minutes but there is still a big role for Aubrey assuming her back is okay. She will be needed defensively on the perimeter (Caroline is not strong defensively). She can sub out Lou or Dorka or Aaliyah (depending on the opponent's size) and give the team a much different look. As Geno said Saturday, Aubrey impacts the game more when she's not playing 35-40 mpg. She'll get minutes as long as she's healthy.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Aubrey complained of back spasms, which was why she didn't play in the second half. Surprised there is no mention that Caroline's shot is off more than Azzi's shot

Reaction Score
One of the "over-conscientious" things that great players on UConn teams do from time to time... is overthinking "I want to be a teammate." How often have we seen Geno have to tell a great shooter "Shoot!" I noticed in the Villanova game a couple of times Azzi got past her defender, had a great stop and pop opportunity, and tried instead either to over-penetrate or to pass.
That will... get worked out... : )

Reaction Score
On another play, she pulled up for a short jumper that missed when she noticed that the human pogo stick, Dalce, patrolling the fast break at full speed. A healthy Azzi would have taken it to the basket.

On another note, much respect to Dalce. She is an athlete and has a lot of bounce.
I thought the opposite on that play. I thought it was a thing of beauty what Azzi did. It was the classic "a skilled basketball player attacking while understanding the game" vs "the super athlete using her athleticism to influence a play." Azzi gave her the pump fake which you are always told to do when you are small and approaching the lane; that's how you attack. And Dalce fell for it like a puppy with not much experience trying to fend off a hungry grown bear.

The difference was that Azzi would have hit that shot earlier in the year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom