Azzi - A few observations | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Azzi - A few observations

Reaction Score
I think Azzi's problem with her shot was mental more than anything else. I don't think its a coincidence that she starting hitting her shots in the second half in all three games when she was likely more physically and mentally tired and didn't have the energy to overthink.

I think she was also avoiding physicality to avoid re-injury. Nova players were crashing into our players pretty dangerously all game, would rather she give up a contested lay-up in hopes of getting a foul to not risk a reinjury in a BET game where we are already up 20.

Jim

Reaction Score

Don't watch Azzi's shot on that clip, but instead take a look at Nika on the right and the bench in the background. As soon as the ball leaves Azzi's hand, Nika raises her arms and start back pedaling to the other basket. She knows it is is going in. Same with the bench. Well before the ball falls through the basket, the bench stands and raises arms signaling '3'. That shot was classic Azzi.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Azzi will be fine.

She is getting back to playing shape. Her shot looked much better last night. Those were 3 daggers that sealed Nova's fate.

Azzi is a very smart (high basketball IO) player. she understands how to read the defense and adjust accordingly. She showed that last night.

She now has time, with the rest of the team, to work back into the flow of the offense.

Reaction Score
Aubrey complained of back spasms, which was why she didn't play in the second half. Surprised there is no mention that Caroline's shot is off more than Azzi's shot
How Caroline has shot in her very limited minutes since return is irrelevant to how Azzi is shooting. The latter is 8 of 29 in her return. While we all anticipate Azzi will shoot better in the NCAA tournament, her less than stellar Big East performance should be at least a matter of concern until she turns it around.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
My observations in the OP were not made because of any concern with Azzi's shooting. In the 2nd half of last night's game she showed her familiar shooting stroke.

Nor do I consider her BET performance "less than stellar." Considering the injury and time off, I'd say her overall performance both offensively and defensively was as expected. She looked better with each game. Is she the Azzi we saw earlier this year? No, not yet.

Azzi's minutes went from 16 to 21 to 32. Contrast that with Piage's minutes in last year's BET: 18, 18, 9.

Reaction Score
Until that Final Four game in OT when we all said "no Saniya, not yet ..."
That was a tough moment. Makes me think of Kipling's "If"

If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Uconn in ten days at worst will see:
The 8th worst mid major champion - someone with a NET ranking of over 100 probably.
then a team with a NET in the 25+ range

And then they have another seven day break.

And they are home for 15+ days before they next get on a plane.

That is a lot of time for Fudd to become more comfortable going full out on a basketball court. I thought she looked really good in the second half and she did not look tired after going 30 minutes of basketball. Villanova keeps you running on both ends of the court.

Reaction Score
the part that concerned me about Azzi last night was that she seemed to lack explosiveness of movement which was evident especially when she was on the fast break or around the basket. Hopefully in the time before the NCAA and with more practice she can regain it.
Let's face it, folks. We are not going to get the great Azzi Fudd in the next few weeks. . She is hampered some by the leg; she is not in BB shape; she is not in top physical condition at all. But she is a smart basketball player, and she will help. She isn't going to take over and win the un-winnable game. This is not Paige scoring our last 15 points to win ( ref; NC State double overtime win last year ). But she takes pressure off our team and puts pressure on theirs. Her BB IQ makes up for the slower pace she is evidencing. Caroline is another issue; I think she is playing through pain. Still. The ice bag cometh. And she, too , will help. But not like a "top of her game" Caroline. So we have to get " top of their game " efforts and execution from the starting five players. Peak performances drawn from the skills they have shown all year. If we get that, and if we get some help from Azzi and Caroline, we can go pretty far.

Reaction Score
I thought she did a good job. Her shot wasn't on but every one except maybe one was right there. She started 1-6 according to the stat line so she heated up late and hit 3 of 4 down the stretch. He defense was good and that is really where you would see the limitations on her movement if there was something.

The best thing about the weekend to me until the 4th quarter last night was Geno seemed to be comfortable with his substitution patterns and his players got a rest here and there. I think AE played the most minutes, hopefully as they go forward he gets her a little breather here and there.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
It seems that Geno has decided to play Azzi as much as possible, knowing that the more she plays the quicker she will become herself. However, these minutes are reducing Aubrey's playing time tremendously. Too bad. She has been playing great, but disappeared last night after Azzi came in. Maybe it was because we didn't need her under the basket last night with Dorka and Aaliyah being so dominant.
Aubrey was hurting and Geno saw it in the way she moved up and down court, so he sat her.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Uconn in ten days at worst will see:
The 8th worst mid major champion - someone with a NET ranking of over 100 probably.
then a team with a NET in the 25+ range

And then they have another seven day break.

And they are home for 15+ days before they next get on a plane.

That is a lot of time for Fudd to become more comfortable going full out on a basketball court. I thought she looked really good in the second half and she did not look tired after going 30 minutes of basketball. Villanova keeps you running on both ends of the court.
A nit, but won't be 7 days. More likely 5.
  • Selections are Sunday, March 12, at 8 p.m. ET on ESPN
  • The First Four games are Wednesday and Thursday, March 15-16
  • The first round is Friday and Saturday, March 17-18
  • The second round is Sunday and Monday, March 19-20
  • The Sweet 16 is Friday and Saturday, March 24-25
  • The Elite 8 is Sunday and Monday, March 26-27
  • The Final Four is at 7 and 9:30 p.m. ET on Friday, March 31 on ESPN.
  • The national championship game is at 3 p.m. ET on Sunday, April 2 on ABC.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
She’s still trying to get her leg strength back. Most of the shots that didn’t go in hit the front of the rim and yes she is tentative. She passed up one shot and Geno looked at her and made the shooting motion with his hand. On another play, she pulled up for a short jumper that missed when she noticed that the human pogo stick, Dalce, patrolling the fast break at full speed. A healthy Azzi would have taken it to the basket.

On another note, much respect to Dalce. She is an athlete and has a lot of bounce.
Dalce reminds me of someone.

Reaction Score
How Caroline has shot in her very limited minutes since return is irrelevant to how Azzi is shooting. The latter is 8 of 29 in her return. While we all anticipate Azzi will shoot better in the NCAA tournament, her less than stellar Big East performance should be at least a matter of concern until she turns it around.
Less than stellar performance? She scored 10 points in 16 minutes her first game and blew the game open in her third game back shooting 3-4 in the second half from three. That is pretty stellar after 3 months out with an injury.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
It's not easy getting used to wearing a brace like that - you are either scraping the inside of the other leg, or wondering if all the straps are tight enough, too tight. Then you are making basketball moves at full speed and the first few times, you wonder if you will be able to do it, and then, when you act or react without thinking and without hesitation, that's when you know you are ok.

Reaction Score
That was a tough moment. Makes me think of Kipling's "If"

If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;
IF you can follow Geno's dictates and hold for the last shot,
then yours is the earth and all that it holds,
what's more, my Saniya, you'll be a national champion...

Reaction Score
Both of their shots haven’t been great, but it’s the potential that’s a game changer. Azzi is the type of player who can go on a run by herself.

And if you notice, her two transition three point attempts were made possible by Caroline running the floor. Although not shooting well, defenses seem to honor her more than a player like Aubrey, and she drew the defense of Ohriel and Siegrest. Caused late close outs on Azzi. The space that creates will help our struggling offense create more open looks for everyone, on the perimeter and in the lane.

We finally have a rotation of 7. All seven are vital, and each brings a unique skill set. Will they have enough time to put it together? I certainly think there’s a chance, and I’m rooting for it.

Reaction Score
Azzi will be fine.

She is getting back to playing shape. Her shot looked much better last night. Those were 3 daggers that sealed Nova's fate.

Azzi is a very smart (high basketball IO) player. she understands how to read the defense and adjust accordingly. She showed that last night.

She now has time, with the rest of the team, to work back into the flow of the offense.

The team's timing needs work, that's all. Edwards and Juhasz are OK passers. Fudd, a plus pg, is a great passer and a great ball handler. She can create with and without the ball. Her team mates suddenly are finding lanes opening. Our front court players are getting layups. Now Griffin can spend a few minutes giving Edwards and Juhasz a break. I remember how it was like that when Maya was playing. Charles MVP season was helped because Moore was on the court. One of the players said that knowing Fudd's on the court is a huge boost to their confidence.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
IF you can follow Geno's dictates and hold for the last shot,
then yours is the earth and all that it holds,
what's more, my Saniya, you'll be a national champion...
Nicely done... : )

Reaction Score
Not sure I understand these comments regarding Nika being slow. Her defense and rebounding has been solid, keeping in front of quick guards every game and inserting herself in the middle of heavy contact under the boards. Of course her brace restricts movement - that's what its supposed to do. She starts every game shooting - does not seem reluctant at all. All shooters give up shots depending upon the situation. It was unrealistic to have her practice just a few days then come into critical games with a knee brace and make most of her shots.

Reaction Score
Regarding the minutes for Azzi, Aubrey and Caroline, I think two of those are guaranteed major minutes, but Caroline not so much. She could be number 7 in a rotation of 7 or maybe number 7 in a rotation of 8 if Ayanna gets regular minutes. It is conceivable Azzi could start at some point, but whether she does or doesn't, I see near 30 minutes a game soon.

Aubrey might see a small reduction but not much, because she is also a prime candidate for providing rest for our two starting bigs. Her first two years she was used mostly as an undersized big who could rebound, block shots, and score inside like a much bigger player. This year she was more badly needed on the wing. Azzi and to a lesser extent Caroline's return means she can now be considered for both roles.

If Ice had played this year, and if Ayanna had showed more than she has thus far, the backup bigs would not be as much of a question mark, but right now it is. Dorka and Aaliyah have been great, but the principle backups Ayanna and Amari have largely underachieved our expectations. Geno now has the option of using a proven great backup in Aubrey for that role, perhaps in a three big rotation.

Aubrey can still be used on the wing but between both roles she could still get major minutes. Caroline if she was in last year's form might be considered as good or better at the 3 and the 4, but she has not been producing at that level. I think she will get there, but it might be next year. To be considered an equal option for Aubrey IMO she would need several very good games not one.

Last edited by a moderator:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom