Azzi’s shot | The Boneyard

Azzi’s shot

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
When Azzi was shooting last night, I noticed that while her release is quick, her motion appears to be slow, almost languid. It’s the purity of her shot, done exactly the same way every single time, that is a thing of beauty. The tempo, and it’s consistency, is a marvel. I haven’t seen such a pretty shot since KML. And Azzi is a freshman - this is the worst she’ll be!

1643290693531.jpeg

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
While I love the fact that Azzi gives UConn a much needed 3-pt threat, the beautiful mid-range jumper off the dribble that she knocked down got me really excited. Teams will try to defend Azzi by running her off the 3-pt line. If she’s able to put the ball on the floor and knock down mid-range jumpers consistently, Azzi will be incredibly difficult to defend.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
When Azzi was shooting last night, I noticed that while her release is quick, her motion appears to be slow, almost languid. It’s the purity of her shot, done exactly the same way every single time, that is a thing of beauty. The tempo, and it’s consistency, is a marvel. I haven’t seen such a pretty shot since KML. And Azzi is a freshman - this is the worst she’ll be!

View attachment 72750

We may need to reconsider Geno's favorite phrase "Blank is a freshman and this is the worst she will ever be" :oops: (AE)

Reaction Score
We may need to reconsider Geno's favorite phrase "Blank is a freshman and this is the worst she will ever be" :oops: (AE)
I didn't want to say it, but you may be on to something. At this point it's looking like Edwards and Evina are going to be at the end of the bench, and two months ago that would have been a crazy idea.

Reaction Score
Indirectly, though, if Azzi is good enough to play significant minutes (and lets hope so, she is a tremendous offensive threat), then someone else who is playing regularly will have to sit.

Reaction Score
While I love the fact that Azzi gives UConn a much needed 3-pt threat, the beautiful mid-range jumper off the dribble that she knocked down got me really excited. Teams will try to defend Azzi by running her off the 3-pt line. If she’s able to put the ball on the floor and knock down mid-range jumpers consistently, Azzi will be incredibly difficult to defend.
That was her specialty in HS. Geno ran the offense thru Paige because she is the only one last year who could make that shot. Now we have Caroline and Azzi. Azzi also did a great backdoor cut last night. Her versatility like Paige and Caroline makes them great scorers.

Reaction Score

View attachment 72750
Languid is the right word. She is stronger than most players and doesn't need a lot of energy to get it to the shooting slot. Lots of players have to bring the shot from chest high and then shoot. She just seems to start from a higher position and just releases it, very smooth.

Reaction Score
What will be even more gratifying is that over the next 2 years, we get to watch and then debate as to whether Paige or Azzi has the more effective or picturesque pull-up?

Reaction Score
Similar to Nan's and Old Dude's comments, the key to Azzi is not only her shot but her innate ability to know where to shoot and how to get there. We have a lot of strong shooters on UConn but often their % is low due to them taking shots out their range. Azzi works hard to get into a position where, once she gets the ball, she doesn't hesitate. As the team gets more comfortable with her in line up, it's only going to get better.

Reaction Score
Indirectly, though, if Azzi is good enough to play significant minutes (and lets hope so, she is a tremendous offensive threat), then someone else who is playing regularly will have to sit.
Nothing wrong with that. That's what should push others to work harder on their games and shooting. Competition should be a great motivator. I repeat, it should be.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
Azzi, playing well gives coach more options more flexibility as it should. Look on the bright side while minutes will need to be changed it is a team game and the team will be the beneficiary. When Paige returns like Azzi's return dictated, minutes and roles change. Not a bad thing, exciting to ponder what will be.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

Azzi can score at all 3 levels. She is known as a great 3-point shooter, but I think her pull-up is her best weapon. She is money from 12-15'. She also has a surprisingly quick drive that ends with a highly accurate scoop shot, especially going left. And she rarely misses FTs. In fact, she rarely hits the rim.

Here's the D.C. City Championship game from her sophomore year in which she set the arena scoring record (I believe she still holds it, though the Mystics play there). Check out the repertoire.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Azzi can score at all 3 levels. She is known as a great 3-point shooter, but I think her pull-up is her best weapon. She is money from 12-15'. She also has a surprisingly quick drive that ends with a highly accurate scoop shot, especially going left. And she rarely misses FTs. In fact, she rarely hits the rim.

Here's the D.C. City Championship game from her sophomore year in which she set the arena scoring record (I believe she still holds it, though the Mystics play there). Check out the repertoire.

The two of us have spoken almost ad infnitum about Azzi, and we're both glad to see her proving everything you've said here. We both know as well she has plenty more to show, offensively and defensively.

A complaint I've had about this teams current configuration is the dearth of shooters who can hit the pull up. For me, it's become a tired mantra. Last year Paige was the only player that could consistently score at all 3 levels. With Azzi and CD UConn now has three. Three players that can also hit off that flare screen, hit the 3 off the trail, and curl around a screen and hit the two. All of the other guards are either incredibly inconsistent with their mid range shots, refuse to shoot pull ups at all, or incapable of curling off a screen and consistently hitting the shot. Geno is then stuck with hoping for TO's and transition baskets, shooting 3's (at which the team to this point has been less than proficient), working the ball inside, or back door plays. When Azzi hit her mid range shot during the chat I commented that this was the only mid range shot they'd hit all game. CW attempted 3 from the foul line in and missed all three. This puts a lot of pressure on the offense to execute.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
The saddest thing of all is: WHAT IF there had been no injuries this year?
Where would the team be ranked , right now?

The most hopeful thing of all is: WHAT IF everyone is back and on target by March? Let's look forward to great expectations!

Reaction Score
Without Azzi Fudd we don't win last night's game. The same can be said for Christyn Williams.
The truth is, when Butler's freshman ( Aneesah Morrow ) left the game with an apparent leg injury, UCONN got back in the game. She was out for nearly a full period. Everyone on UCONN contributed ( lets not forget who made the winning basket ), but Butler's scoring went off ( as well as rebounding ) when Morrow was out. Does anyone know if UCONN recruited Morrow? How did anyone miss her?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The truth is, when Butler's freshman ( Aneesah Morrow ) left the game with an apparent leg injury, UCONN got back in the game. She was out for nearly a full period. Everyone on UCONN contributed ( lets not forget who made the winning basket ), but Butler's scoring went off ( as well as rebounding ) when Morrow was out. Does anyone know if UCONN recruited Morrow? How did anyone miss her?
First off, UConn’s opponent was DePaul, not Butler. Secondly, Morrow was only out a couple minutes. She played 36 minutes of a 40 minute game, including a short rest in the 1st half, as well as a couple minutes in the 2nd half after hurting her knee.

Reaction Score
One can’t discount her offensive contributions last night but what impressed me was her help defense on that one play and especially saving that ball from going out of bounds and being able (maybe a little luck?) to pass/throw it back to a teammate. That level of athleticism and familiarity of hand to ball doesn’t come around very often.

Reaction Score
Morrow was only out for 3-4 minutes. Watched the game twice. Loved it!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom