Azura Stevens Doesn’t Regret Leaving UConn Early for WNBA | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Azura Stevens Doesn’t Regret Leaving UConn Early for WNBA

Reaction Score
IMHO, you can't boo her for leaving to achieve her dream. Now leaving via transfer(exceptions like EDD exist) and essentially quitting on your teammates and coaches, is an entirely different story.
I wouldn't boo some of them either. Butler for instance couldn't get the grad program she wanted at UConn Ekmark gave it her all for 2 years Brianna banks hung in there too. Some kids just want a chance to play big min. once in their life. All power to them. Now Boykin, Sadie Edwards and sadly Espinoza-Hunter (who I loved while at UConn) I say boo away! They never gave us a real shot and let their team down hard.

Reaction Score
Stevens was pissed about that 3rd quarter, IMO... as she should've been! Coach blew that game
I too believe and have stated before that Geno made a serious mistake not starting AZ in the third quarter. I believe an even greater problem were his comments that he didn't even think about it. I wonder if any of the other coaches did think about it, and communicated that to him. I obviously don't know that answer but if they didn't that represents another problem.
Good coaching and good management mean surrounding yourself with people that will tell you difficult things. If you don't take in and use that advice (doesn't mean one HAS to accept and implement it) that's yours, theirs and the teams loss.
Simply said, this was an error on Geno's part and if not corrected will happen a 2nd or maybe a 3rd time. Yes, I'm referring to two consecutive losses in very similar ways and circumstances.
And as I've stated previously Geno is maybe the greatest coach in all of team sports and the coaching staff is the same. But they are human beings and have patterns they follow and make mistakes.
The very best continue to learn from those mistakes and adapt.
Bronx23

Reaction Score
Could be the case...it has definitely been a pattern over the years. When UCONN loses a game, it's almost always close or comes down to a final play (or two). UCONN has struggled the last several years in the (few) close games they've had. Execution down the stretch hasn't been there (all of the mess ups in 2013 vs. ND, Williams turnovers vs. ND this year, Chong bad shot last year), plus there has been some questionably decision making from the coaching staff in tight games (sitting Stevens in the 3rd, FSU in 2016-17 was very poorly managed at the end of the game). I don't think it's a factor of coaching as much as it's that players just have almost zero experience in single possession games. You can simulate it in practice, but it's a lot different in real games...especially with a lot on the line and everyone expects you to win.

If a team can hang, usually UCONN goes on a run to create separation and then wins without a whole lot of last minute drama (ex. Baylor 2014, championship vs ND in 2015 and regular season 2018, Maryland in 2016 and 2017, Texas this year). If they get down to a final possession, other teams are usually flying high with confidence and they have playmakers who can finish the job (Orrange 3 in 2015, Morgan William last year, Arike this year).

Another thing worth noting is that UCONN's style of offense doesn't cater to individual playmaking..it's all based on ball movement and getting the best look. You almost never see a player going one on one like William or Arike did. The team offense is wildly successful for UCONN, but it can be a double edged sword in close games where there isn't a player who you can give the ball to and tell her to create and win the game for her team. Maybe Williams will be that player for you guys like Taurasi was back in the day, but one on one play can be extremely useful at times even if it's hurtful at others.

Also, to UCONN's credit, the ND game this year wasn't really lost by UCONN....they were beat by a team that stepped up to the plate and played great basketball on both sides. Arike hit a difficult shot with 1 second left on the shot clock to create separation in regulation and then nailed a tough contested jumpshot to win the game. And UCONN didn't falter when the game looked lost for them--Collier and Dangerfield hit massive threes end of regulation and in OT, Nurse got the steal and layup, and even on the very last possession, UCONN almost scored on what would've been a miracle pass and bucket to force double OT (not sure if it would've counted or not).
I love your points and analysis about their coaching and style of play. You've stated it quite well and
more succinctly than I would have.
Great analysis!
I do though disagree with your last paragraph. Yes ND played a great game and cane through at the very end. We lost the game for all the reasons you stated plus again as the previous year we got off to a slow start. We then catch up and even lead in the 2nd quarter. We were unable to create that separation you described we usually do.
Your point about U Conns offensive system and their movement and team work is a thing of beauty and why I appreciate them so much. What I haven't seen these last two years is a player taking over the ball and the game. I am NOT talking about the way it's often done in the men's game where the star gets the ball and the other four go to the opposite side and the player shakes and bakes. It might require a player with a skill set and personality that hasn't existed on this team. I still think that maybe KLS is or could be that player, but that needs to be developed over time. You are spot on, that there haven't been many close games and opportunities to learn and develop this. Also KLS is an amazingly selfless player and teammate and maybe that's not in her makeup. Maybe it was partially with Kia and Gabby the senior leaders, she couldn't or wouldn't take that on.
As so many of us are, I can't wait for this coming season to begin. Hopefully and seemingly they should have 3-6 close, tight, competitive games so when the big show comes, they can handle it.
Bronx23

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog
Top Bottom