Azura Stevens Doesn’t Regret Leaving UConn Early for WNBA | The Boneyard

Azura Stevens Doesn’t Regret Leaving UConn Early for WNBA

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
WATCH: Azura Stevens Doesn’t Regret Leaving UConn Early for WNBA (See video as well below the aforementioned article)
“It’ll be interesting to be welcomed by the fans or booed, I don’t know which one I’m going to get,” Stevens laughed.

Azura Stevens' Transfer To UConn Prepared Her For WNBA
Luckily, Stevens had a slight advantage going into her rookie season. She transferred from Duke to UConn, which gave her a reference point for what moving to a new team and starting over is like.
When asked if she’s still happy with her decision, she simply said, “I wouldn’t change a thing.”

Reaction Score
Nor should she. From what I witnessed Sunday afternoon, she was more than ready. She has a perimeter shot I was not aware of, ball handling skills I was not aware of, and she competes.

Last edited:

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Can’t blame her...she’s playing more of an inside out role which she seems to enjoy rather than staying primarily inside. She has been very good as a rookie. If she stayed at UCONN she likely would’ve played center as a third offensive option after KLS and Collier. Plus she’s getting paid and can make solid money overseas this year if she chooses that route.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Can’t blame her...she’s playing more of an inside out role which she seems to enjoy rather than staying primarily inside. She has been very good as a rookie. If she stayed at UCONN she likely would’ve played center as a third offensive option after KLS and Collier. Plus she’s getting paid and can make solid money overseas this year if she chooses that route.
Z played essentially the same role for UConn at the start of the season. Unfortunately, her ability to knock down 3 pt shots, something she had done with reasonable proficiency at Duke, disappeared last season. As a result Z ended up primarily in the post for the Huskies. Nice to see that she’s found her shooting stroke again.

Reaction Score
Z played essentially the same role for UConn at the start of the season. Unfortunately, her ability to knock down 3 pt shots, something she had done with reasonable proficiency at Duke, disappeared last season. As a result Z ended up primarily in the post for the Huskies. Nice to see that she’s found her shooting stroke again.
Completely agree... if a player "used to be able" to do certain things (i.e. hit from outside) and then can't seem to do that any more, they need to adjust their game to do what they can to benefit the team (i.e. put your 6'6" to the best possible use in the paint). Team Sports rely on all players to do what they can to benefit the Team... I remember what a big deal it was when the Baltimore Orioles moved long time short stop Cal Ripken to Third Base because he had lost some quickness and ability to get to balls in the hole or up the middle. He may not have liked the shift, but he did what he needed to do to make the Team better. I am sure Z left for the WNBA because she completed her degree and wanted to make the shift to pay for play...rather than risk injury....as opposed to not wanting to be only playing in the post. Regardless, IF she had stayed at UConn, they would have FOUR deadly scorers (Z, KLS, Pheesa and Danger), and a lock down defense with Z guarding the hoop. And, if Z found her touch from outside, the offensive would have been that much more challenging for ANY team UCONN would face this year. I wished her luck in the WNBA when the decision to leave was announced...it's her choice.

Reaction Score
Though I would have loved for her to have remained another year, athletic careers are short, and the period during which women basketball players can earn good money is even shorter. I completely understand her looking out for her personal finances, and for her health.

Just look at Morgan Tuck. She left a year before she could have, but she's still struggling with bad knees. At least she's had a couple of seasons in the U.S. and, I believe, overseas to earn a living.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'd never boo a Connecticut kid, ever. They don't owe us anything. Whenever they decide to leave UConn, either as a transfer or as a pro, I accept it, appreciate their time here and move on.

That said, for whatever reason, I never really bonded with Azura the way I do with our kids. I feel more of a connection with Nat Butler. I wish her well, but I won't pay a whole lot of attention to her pro career.

Reaction Score
I sure was surprised and happy. Not a UConn fan but admire UConn. Great decision for her which she has proven with her play this year. Two years with Geno benefited her and she wanted to move on which she did. That’s the risk all coaches take with transfers that graduate w an extra year of eligibility.

Last edited:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
2f178a5c7db31ccaa2209b5cf2570cc9.jpg

Reaction Score
I was disappointed she left and was never really a fan, but if I were ever to go to a WNBA game in which she was playing, I certainly would not boo her. Not planning to go to a WNBA game any time soon, or perhaps ever. Did that once. Holds little attraction for me, no matter who is playing.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
a transfer for one year, I wonder if Geno wanted 2... and she said yes then changed her mind. Would Geno be interested in a one-and-done?

Reaction Score
She is going to leave soon or later.
Best wish to her WNBA success.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
a transfer for one year, I wonder if Geno wanted 2... and she said yes then changed her mind. Would Geno be interested in a one-and-done?
Not again.

Reaction Score
IMHO, you can't boo her for leaving to achieve her dream. Now leaving via transfer(exceptions like EDD exist) and essentially quitting on your teammates and coaches, is an entirely different story.

Reaction Score
Agree fully!
While I've not heard it stated elsewhere I wonder about something.
All year she has to adjust her game drastically to suit the teams needs, as she should have. She plays a meaningful but not primary role on the team. She and they get to the semi-finals and in the first half she sees her team being beaten until she takes over the game. She takes them from a moderate deficit to a moderate lead.
Then, she sits in the third quarter watching the lead slip some. I'd think she'd be wondering what do I have to do, to prove myself and truly make a big difference around here. And she sees her team lose, yes on a last second shot, but might well feel if she started the 3rd quarter they might have won and done so comfortably.
She'd be coming back with KLS, Pheesa and CD, so she'd be continuing her development as a center/ big, which I don't think was or is her preferred style of playing.
I don't fault her one iota for her decision. I say that while still believing another year at U Conn would have benefitted her in her career going forward.
Many things went into her decision to leave, and I think the semi-final game might have pushed it just a bit.
If we all talk about the U Conn family she was a meaningful part of it for one year. If she dissappointed some or many of us who wished / hoped she stayed, her primary responsibilities are to herself and her family of origin.
A courteous hand I think would be appropriate.
Bronx23

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I am among those who was disappointed that Azura left after one year. This year would have certainly been more interesting from an entertainment point of view and she would have honed her basketball skills. Be that as it may, attending UConn under Geno only increased her exposure and raised her personal capital for the WNBA as well as foreign markets. It is a significant benefit to put on your resume that you played women's basketball for Geno and UConn.

Reaction Score
Agree fully!
All year she has to adjust her game drastically to suit the teams needs, as she should have. She plays a meaningful but not primary role on the team. She and they get to the semi-finals and in the first half she sees her team being beaten until she takes over the game. She takes them from a moderate deficit to a moderate lead.
Then, she sits in the third quarter watching the lead slip some. I'd think she'd be wondering what do I have to do, to prove myself and truly make a big difference around here. And she sees her team lose, yes on a last second shot, but might well feel if she started the 3rd quarter they might have won and done so comfortably.
She'd be coming back with KLS, Pheesa and CD, so she'd be continuing her development as a center/ big, which I don't think was or is her preferred style of playing.
I don't fault her one iota for her decision. I say that while still believing another year at U Conn would have benefitted her in her career going forward.
Many things went into her decision to leave, and I think the semi-final game might have pushed it just a bit.
If we all talk about the U Conn family she was a meaningful part of it for one year. If she dissappointed some or many of us who wished / hoped she stayed, her primary responsibilities are to herself and her family of origin.
Bronx23
Have to agree. She was asked to tone down certain skills for the team, when many of us, the semi finals as a great example, felt those skills were exactly what was needed. Based on past experience, would likely been the 3rd or 4th option this coming year. Was always professional when Geno verbally hammered her, particularly in beginning of year, in many not so professional ways. Anyone who wants to come to UConn, even for a year, and make a significant contribution, warrants a "thank you" and hand clap from me.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Agree fully!
Bronx23
Stevens was pissed about that 3rd quarter, IMO... as she should've been! Coach blew that game

Reaction Score
Stevens was pissed about that 3rd quarter, IMO... as she should've been! Coach blew that game
Which brings up a question. If Geno loses again in the final seconds of a another final four game will fans have questions? Perspective is based on expectations.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Which brings up a question. If Geno loses again in the final seconds of a another final four game will fans have questions? Perspective is based on expectations.
depends on the dynamics... if Z was in the game maybe there wouldn't be any need for any last second shots, may have been a blow out

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

Could be the case...it has definitely been a pattern over the years. When UCONN loses a game, it's almost always close or comes down to a final play (or two). UCONN has struggled the last several years in the (few) close games they've had. Execution down the stretch hasn't been there (all of the mess ups in 2013 vs. ND, Williams turnovers vs. ND this year, Chong bad shot last year), plus there has been some questionably decision making from the coaching staff in tight games (sitting Stevens in the 3rd, FSU in 2016-17 was very poorly managed at the end of the game). I don't think it's a factor of coaching as much as it's that players just have almost zero experience in single possession games. You can simulate it in practice, but it's a lot different in real games...especially with a lot on the line and everyone expects you to win.

If a team can hang, usually UCONN goes on a run to create separation and then wins without a whole lot of last minute drama (ex. Baylor 2014, championship vs ND in 2015 and regular season 2018, Maryland in 2016 and 2017, Texas this year). If they get down to a final possession, other teams are usually flying high with confidence and they have playmakers who can finish the job (Orrange 3 in 2015, Morgan William last year, Arike this year).

Another thing worth noting is that UCONN's style of offense doesn't cater to individual playmaking..it's all based on ball movement and getting the best look. You almost never see a player going one on one like William or Arike did. The team offense is wildly successful for UCONN, but it can be a double edged sword in close games where there isn't a player who you can give the ball to and tell her to create and win the game for her team. Maybe Williams will be that player for you guys like Taurasi was back in the day, but one on one play can be extremely useful at times even if it's hurtful at others.

Also, to UCONN's credit, the ND game this year wasn't really lost by UCONN....they were beat by a team that stepped up to the plate and played great basketball on both sides. Arike hit a difficult shot with 1 second left on the shot clock to create separation in regulation and then nailed a tough contested jumpshot to win the game. And UCONN didn't falter when the game looked lost for them--Collier and Dangerfield hit massive threes end of regulation and in OT, Nurse got the steal and layup, and even on the very last possession, UCONN almost scored on what would've been a miracle pass and bucket to force double OT (not sure if it would've counted or not).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Razzle

Top Bottom