Azurá Stevens and the UConn History Books | The Boneyard

Azurá Stevens and the UConn History Books

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
From April 3, 2017:

I do not tend to gush too much over players or recruits, unless it is truly warranted. But Azurá Breeona Stevens is a STAR. Stevens is one of only two Duke player in history to average at least 18.5 points and 9.5 rebounds in a single season. She averaged more rebounds in her sophomore year than Elizabeth Williams did in any of her seasons. She had more double doubles in her second year than any other Duke player has ever had except for Chris Moreland. Her two year scoring average of 16.2 ppg ranks third all-time (905 points in 56 games).

As amazing as UConn was this past year and as incredible as KLS, Collier, and Gabulous were, it is very likely that Stevens could step on the floor next year as UConn's best player. THAT is how good she is.

Today (December 15, 2017):

After perusing the UConn stats to date and the UConn Media Guide, I present you with the following regarding Azurá Breeona Stevens:

Eight games played:

-- Shooting 47-64 from two-point range (73.4375 percent)
-- Made 50 field goals this year (#1 on the team)
-- Averaging 6.25 field goals per game (#1 on the team)
-- 22 offensive rebounds; averaging 2.75 offensive rebounds per game (both #1 on the team)
-- 74 total rebounds; averaging 9.3 rebounds per game (both #1 on the team)
-- Blocked 16 shots; averaging 2.0 blocks per game (both #1 on the team)
(And Stevens is doing this in 25.3 minutes per game, which is only #6 on the team)

Stevens' last four games (MSU, Nevada, Notre Dame, DePaul):

-- 18.75 points per game
-- 11.75 rebounds per game
-- 79.487 percent from two-point range (31-39)
-- 68.085 percent overall shooting (32-47)

In other words, for 50 percent of the games in her UConn career to date, Stevens is averaging numbers that, if kept up for the entire year, would:

-- Rank 13th all-time at UConn for PPG for a season
-- Rank 4th all-time at UConn for RPG in a season
-- Rank 4th all-time at UConn at field goal percentage for a season

To put this into perspective, UConn has NEVER had a player average these numbers (over 18 ppg, over 11 rpg, and over 60 percent from the floor) for an entire season. The closest were:

-- Peggy Walsh (1985-86): 16.7 ppg, 12.5 rpg, 55.9 percent from the floor
-- Renee Najarian (1987-88): 18.4 ppg, 10.9 rpg, 61.1 percent from the floor
-- Rebecca Lobo (1992-93): 16.7 ppg, 11.2 rpg, 44.9 percent from the floor
-- Rebecca Lobo (1993-94): 19.2 ppg, 11.2 rpg, 54.6 percent from the floor

"Shoutouts" to @HuskyNan , @ucbart , @vowelguy , @RockyMTblue2 , and @EricLA for reading all of their posts and commentary, which inspired me to do this research.

Reaction Score
Crazy that she’s putting up numbers that’s big in a 6th man role. I enjoy watching Z play, her body language, movement, and some moves at her size are really Kevin Durant like. Geno having a chance to coach Z is like a second chance with EDD, Z isn’t as strong a shooter from distance, but that will get better over time, I think she will settle in nicely as a combo forward once she’s taken in the WNBA draft.

Reaction Score
From April 3, 2017:

Today (December 15, 2017):

After perusing the UConn stats to date and the UConn Media Guide, I present you with the following regarding Azurá Breeona Stevens:

Eight games played:

-- Shooting 47-64 from two-point range (73.4375 percent)
-- Made 50 field goals this year (#1 on the team)
-- Averaging 6.25 field goals per game (#1 on the team)
-- 22 offensive rebounds; averaging 2.75 offensive rebounds per game (both #1 on the team)
-- 74 total rebounds; averaging 9.3 rebounds per game (both #1 on the team)
-- Blocked 16 shots; averaging 2.0 blocks per game (both #1 on the team)
(And Stevens is doing this in 25.3 minutes per game, which is only #6 on the team)

Stevens' last four games (MSU, Nevada, Notre Dame, DePaul):

-- 18.75 points per game
-- 11.75 rebounds per game
-- 79.487 percent from two-point range (31-39)
-- 68.085 percent overall shooting (32-47)

In other words, for 50 percent of the games in her UConn career to date, Stevens is averaging numbers that, if kept up for the entire year, would:

-- Rank 13th all-time at UConn for PPG for a season
-- Rank 4th all-time at UConn for RPG in a season
-- Rank 4th all-time at UConn at field goal percentage for a season

To put this into perspective, UConn has NEVER had a player average these numbers (over 18 ppg, over 11 rpg, and over 60 percent from the floor) for an entire season. The closest were:

-- Peggy Walsh (1985-86): 16.7 ppg, 12.5 rpg, 55.9 percent from the floor
-- Renee Najarian (1987-88): 18.4 ppg, 10.9 rpg, 61.1 percent from the floor
-- Rebecca Lobo (1992-93): 16.7 ppg, 11.2 rpg, 44.9 percent from the floor
-- Rebecca Lobo (1993-94): 19.2 ppg, 11.2 rpg, 54.6 percent from the floor

"Shoutouts" to @HuskyNan , @ucbart , @vowelguy , @RockyMTblue2 , and @EricLA for reading all of their posts and commentary, which inspired me to do this research.
Cam, thank you for the stats! Azura IMO is the most talented player on the team! With her playing with 3 AAs and an Olympian at times she will defer to them on offense. She is getting better with that. She is a good 3pt shooter also and we havent seen that yet but it will come.

Reaction Score
Hmmm wasn’t me but who said she was the best player on the team?? And who said they were crazy?? :confused:

Reaction Score
The mention of Elizabeth Williams brings up Kiah Stokes---who went head to head with her AT Duke and whipped her butt. Rebounded better, even scored on Williams. Yet at years end Williams got honors and all KIah got was an NC and a nice WNBA career.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
The mention of Elizabeth Williams brings up Kiah Stokes---who went head to head with her AT Duke and whipped her butt. Rebounded better, even scored on Williams. Yet at years end Williams got honors and all KIah got was an NC and a nice WNBA career.

And totally ripped off for rookie of the year.

Reaction Score
"Shoutouts" to all of their posts and commentary, which inspired me to do this research.

Now you deserve an extra eggnog...
Eggnogg-Frappuccino-3.jpg

Reaction Score
We really need to appreciate that she's only played a handful of games and is still: 1. learning the system generally; 2. learning her position. And in turn, the other players and even the coaches are learning about her. Our Dukie OP has identified how she is quietly amassing incredible numbers. By the time March comes around, she will be epic. We are doomed. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Hmmm wasn’t me but who said she was the best player on the team?? And who said they were crazy?? :confused:
She may become the best player On the team, but I think KLS is currently the best player in the country.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
We really need to appreciate that she's only played a handful of games and is still: 1. learning the system generally; 2. learning her position. And in turn, the other players and even the coaches are learning about her. Our Dukie OP has identified how she is quietly amassing incredible numbers. By the time March comes around, she will be epic. We are doomed. :rolleyes:
That's the thing, isn't it? As well as she is doing, she is not playing close to her potential yet.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I agree she's doing amazing stuff but it's a bit off to suggest she's new to the system. She's played in this system for well over a year and it's often suggested that UConn practices are tougher and more demanding than are the majority of their games. It's not like she is a freshman coming off a high school career. She's a mature player (would be a senior) who has two years of ACC play under her belt along with her being tutored over the last 15 months or more by the best coaching staff in women's basketball. She's a wonderful asset and I couldn't be happier for her and the team that she's continuing to get EVEN BETTER!

Reaction Score
I agree she's doing amazing stuff but it's a bit off to suggest she's new to the system. She's played in this system for well over a year and it's often suggested that UConn practices are tougher and more demanding than are the majority of their games. It's not like she is a freshman coming off a high school career. She's a mature player (would be a senior) who has two years of ACC play under her belt along with her being tutored over the last 15 months or more by the best coaching staff in women's basketball. She's a wonderful asset and I couldn't be happier for her and the team that she's continuing to get EVEN BETTER!
Yes that's what we'd think. But Geno said in a presser that she didn't practice at all with the team last year, just with the "guys" and that she's just now learning the system.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Crazy: I don't know whether you have offered your wisdom here or on other sites so this may be a repeat:

Why do you think Stevens transferred from Duke....any insights from a Dukie fan?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Yes that's what we'd think. But Geno said in a presser that she didn't practice at all with the team last year, just with the "guys" and that she's just now learning the system.

It was funny how surprised I was to hear that Z did not practice with the regulars during her redshirt year but in hindsight, it makes sense that
if you are putting in more players into the practice rotation, the opportunity for the active team to gell is compromised. Still, even on the opposite 'scout' team, I imagine that some defensive principles would be driven home but defensive communication still needs to be honed.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Stevens' last five games (MSU, Nevada, Notre Dame, DePaul, Oklahoma):
-- 19.00 points per game
-- 11.00 rebounds per game
-- 77.55 percent from two-point range (38-49)
-- 70.18 percent overall shooting (40-57)

A few additional notes from CamrnCrz1974 (me):
-- These numbers represent 62.5 percent of Stevens' career games at UConn to date.
-- Stevens is putting up these numbers in only 27 minutes per game (in the last five games)
-- In the same time frame, five games, Stevens is also averaging 4.00 assists per game, with an A/TO of 3.33-to-1 (20 assists, 6 turnovers).

Again, let THIS sink in...
For 62.5 percent of her UConn career, Azura Stevens is averaging 19 points, 11 rebounds, 4 assists (and nearly two blocks per game), while shooting over 70 percent from the floor.

Any questions? :)

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Why do you think Stevens transferred from Duke....any insights from a Dukie fan?

Well, Blake, in early November she finally let the world in a little on that: "I think I was just looking for a place that would help me to grow and push me to further limits," Stevens said. "Just an environment that was not as negative. I don't want to say toxic, but my sophomore year was really, really hard. Basketball has always been something in my life that I love, that has brought me joy. It hasn't always been great, there are some days where I don't like it. But it was just really hard sophomore year, playing in environment where I felt like a lot of people just didn't want to be there and weren't really into it. ... It kind of wore me down."

Stevens immediately makes UConn even better

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
-- 19.00 points per game

-- These numbers represent 62.5 percent of Stevens' career games at UConn to date.
-- Stevens is putting up these numbers in only 27 minutes per game (in the last five games)
-- In the same time frame, five games, Stevens is also averaging 4.00 assists per game, with an A/TO of 3.33-to-1 (20 assists, 6 turnovers).

For 62.5 percent of her UConn career, Azura Stevens is averaging 19 points, 11 rebounds, 4 assists (and nearly two blocks per game), while shooting over 70 percent from the floor.

upload_2017-12-20_13-18-58.jpeg

Reaction Score
-- 19.00 points per game

I know. We're all kinda thinkin' that if she keeps this up she may even start next year.

Reaction Score
Crazy that she’s putting up numbers that’s big in a 6th man role. I enjoy watching Z play, her body language, movement, and some moves at her size are really Kevin Durant like. Geno having a chance to coach Z is like a second chance with EDD, Z isn’t as strong a shooter from distance, but that will get better over time, I think she will settle in nicely as a combo forward once she’s taken in the WNBA draft.
I just hope she comes back to play next year. She is definitely a top five pick in the WNBA in April.

Reaction Score
I just hope she comes back to play next year. She is definitely a top five pick in the WNBA in April.
really good and sobering point: we may be rooting her right out of the UConn program, huh?

My opinion is worth absolutely nothing, but I'm beginning to be very confident that, given what she said last night and her desire to have as complete a college experience as possible, that she will return next year--when she will be NPOY (mark that down).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom